XY Pokémon That Don't Learn Attacks That Fit Them - Why Should They Learn Them?

Another thing I don't see...

Our lord Goomy cannot learn Judgement (THAT WAS A JOKE THX FOR COMING)

But in all seriousness, I actually want to see Yveltal get Night Daze/Night Slash. What does it get? Just Foul Play and Dark Pulse and Sucker Punch and Snarl and Thief. It would fit if it got Night Slash or Night Daze. Why doesn't it get them? It would fit perfectly for an evil legendary.

Well, considering that it gets Snarl, a move formerly known only by an event Zoroark, and most Dark type moves, I think giving it Night Slash is too much. It doesn't really have claws, after all, and moves like Foul Play or Sucker Punch (read: Ambush in JPN) are way more fitting of the "evil" concept, not to mention Oblivion Wing (read: Death Wing in JPN). Night Daze is a move learned exclusively by Zoroark, and I doubt that anything else will get it for a long time, unless it's something like an event Yveltal. And before anyone mentions how Aura Sphere used to be learnt only by Lucario, allow me to remind you that when they decided to add it to other Pokemon, they did so to A LOT of Pokemon, something that I don't see probable for Night Daze.
What always annoyed me, personally, was the lack of Flying-type moves for Thundurus and Landorus. I understand that Tornadus is focused on Flying, but that doesn't mean you can't have Air Slash in Thundurus and Landorus. OK, let's say that Hurricane should stay for Tornadus only, but Air Slash? Maybe it's just me whining for Thundurus and Landorus not getting Special Flying STAB, but I really think at least Air Slash would be reasonable.

Chaos Jackal said:
Well, considering that it gets Snarl, a move formerly known only by an event Zoroark, and most Dark type moves, I think giving it Night Slash is too much. It doesn't really have claws, after all, and moves like Foul Play or Sucker Punch (read: Ambush in JPN) are way more fitting of the "evil" concept, not to mention Oblivion Wing (read: Death Wing in JPN). Night Daze is a move learned exclusively by Zoroark, and I doubt that anything else will get it for a long time, unless it's something like an event Yveltal. And before anyone mentions how Aura Sphere used to be learnt only by Lucario, allow me to remind you that when they decided to add it to other Pokemon, they did so to A LOT of Pokemon, something that I don't see probable for Night Daze.
What always annoyed me, personally, was the lack of Flying-type moves for Thundurus and Landorus. I understand that Tornadus is focused on Flying, but that doesn't mean you can't have Air Slash in Thundurus and Landorus. OK, let's say that Hurricane should stay for Tornadus only, but Air Slash? Maybe it's just me whining for Thundurus and Landorus not getting Special Flying STAB, but I really think at least Air Slash would be reasonable.
Yea, I get your point. BTW, Snarl was a TM in Gen 5 through an event from Gen 4. The locked capsule, I think. Anyway, I agree with you on the Thundurus and Landorus thing.

Also, I really want to see Gyarados get Crunch. All it gets is Bite and Payback for it's new mega forme. Why give it Dark-type if those are the only 2 Dark-type moves it learns?

How come Weezing can't learn any physical Poison type attacks when its attack is higher than its special attack? I know it's not much higher than its special attack but still, you'd think they'd invent some sort of Poison tackle move or something to make Weezing at least slightly better.

Apexys said:
How come Weezing can't learn any physical Poison type attacks when its attack is higher than its special attack? I know it's not much higher than its special attack but still, you'd think they'd invent some sort of Poison tackle move or something to make Weezing at least slightly better.

Yea, you think it would get Gunk Shot or something.

ScorchingShock said:
Apexys said:

Yea, you think it would get Gunk Shot or something.

Come to think of it, Weezing can't learn very many physical attacks at all. Only Assurance, the self destructing moves, Giga Impact, Double Hit, Tackle, Frustration and Return, Facade, Thief, Payback, and Gyro Ball, but STILL none that have STAB boosts, AND are physical.

Chaos Jackal said:
...before anyone mentions how Aura Sphere used to be learnt only by Lucario...

At this very moment my Palkia in Pearl (which, along with the rest of the team, I've been on the fence about transferring to Y) knows Aura Sphere... Learned it at level 96 or so. :p

Anyway, uh... I can't really think of anything. Although, in the same vein as the comment on Landorus and Thundurus above, I think Zapdos should really get Hurricane like Moltres and Articuno. On the other hand, it seems kinda weird for Landorus and Zapdos to attack with wind when they have all that electricity at their disposal; I think that's why they don't learn those attacks.
Landorus, though, I don't really understand. It's primarily a physical attacker, but still.

Chaos Jackal said:
Well, considering that it gets Snarl, a move formerly known only by an event Zoroark, and most Dark type moves, I think giving it Night Slash is too much. It doesn't really have claws, after all, and moves like Foul Play or Sucker Punch (read: Ambush in JPN) are way more fitting of the "evil" concept, not to mention Oblivion Wing (read: Death Wing in JPN).
I think Night Slash would fit Yveltal; it even learns Dragon Claw. Honchrow and Xerneas (yes, Xerneas!) learn Night Slash without claws (as well as Cryogonal and Dugtrio, which I really don't get), so I really don't understand why the Legendary Dark-type Pokémon with claw-like wings can't use it. I hope they will change it in future generations.

IgnisMagister said:
Can Mewtwo learn drain punch?

It learns it through 4th Gen TM and 5th Gen Move Tutor.

I think Mewtwo should be able to learn something like High Jump Kick or Superpower via Heart Scale this gen. Whilst it seems a bit random, it does get a /Fighting Mega Evolution. Yet the only moves it has to take advantage of this STAB along with its godlike attack stat are Rock Smash (which is laughably terrible), Power-Up Punch (you could do a raising set... I guess), Low Sweep (which has a bad base power for competitive) and Brick Break (which is at an underwhelming 75bp). Some high-power Fighting attack is perfectly right for it, and High Jump Kick would be great - especially as it does have those huge feet that look like they could give one a powerful kick.

Golduck - Slash, Night Slash, Swords Dance (All because of its claws) Brave Bird (Because it seems brave looking at its pokedex entries)
Avalugg- Icicle Crash (Just look at it it's a chunk of ice)
Empoleon- King Shield (It just fits in my opinion)
Goodra- Dragon Dance (It looks all gooey so it can dance)

Amaura and Aurorus should have learned Power Gem, because they DO have gem-like crystals on their body.

Thus, it would be a much better option for them to have a special Rock move over Ancient Power.

I would agree that Greninja and Delphox should have also learned Focus Blast.

I also felt like Skrelp and Dragalge should have been able to learn Ice Beam and Blizzard, since it's kind of a thing for fish Pokemon to know these moves.

Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist should have the ability to learn Flare Blitz.

Why? Because it learns so many fire type moves and yet, it's utterly useless (except flame charge if that suits you well).

/signpetition

Shoulda be a special sweeper, completely opposite from Trevenant but NO. *sighs*

Matty said:
Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist should have the ability to learn Flare Blitz.

Why? Because it learns so many fire type moves and yet, it's utterly useless (except flame charge if that suits you well).

/signpetition

Shoulda be a special sweeper, completely opposite from Trevenant but NO. *sighs*

I agree with Gourgeist being special based i feel it would make more sense that way

I think Zebstrika should get Jump Kick (because Stantler and Sawsbuck get it) and Flare Blitz (because it gets a few fire type moves like Flame Charge and Overheat)
Because its a physical attacker, I think it deserves a better physical movepool

I am calling total bull on the fact that Mawile lost use of Foul Play this generation due to the fact that there are no tutors and you would have to breed it on somehow. With Mawile being a very low stated Pokémon even with it`s mega foul play would have been a great cover for stronger Pokémon to it like Ghost and Psychic types. Mawile has relatively low attack so against a Pokémon with high attack bam high damage hit right there. But I get Mawile is not a good speed attacker and its has the STAB`s it needs plus has Sucker Punch but having Foul Play would be nice for it.

Check said:
I am calling total bull on the fact that Mawile lost use of Foul Play this generation due to the fact that there are no tutors and you would have to breed it on somehow. With Mawile being a very low stated Pokémon even with it`s mega foul play would have been a great cover for stronger Pokémon to it like Ghost and Psychic types. Mawile has relatively low attack so against a Pokémon with high attack bam high damage hit right there. But I get Mawile is not a good speed attacker and its has the STAB`s it needs plus has Sucker Punch but having Foul Play would be nice for it.

Considering it is a tutor move, it will most likely get it back in the next game(s), since we usually get tutors then.
Mega Mawile doesn't really need it though, Play Rough/Iron Head/Sucker Punch give it perfect coverage (and with Huge Power it's attack goes huge).

His Goominess said:
Check said:

Considering it is a tutor move, it will most likely get it back in the next game(s), since we usually get tutors then.
Mega Mawile doesn't really need it though, Play Rough/Iron Head/Sucker Punch give it perfect coverage (and with Huge Power it's attack goes huge).
I totally forgot about Huge Power :p and like I said its STAB`s and sucker punch are pretty good.

Golett and Golurk can't learn Fire/Ice/Thunder Punch. I believe that there was a tutor in Gen V, but if you caught a Golett in Gen VI, that Iron Fist ability Doesn't really meet its full potential.

Charles said:
Golett and Golurk can't learn Fire/Ice/Thunder Punch. I believe that there was a tutor in Gen V, but if you caught a Golett in Gen VI, that Iron Fist ability Doesn't really meet its full potential.

There'll most likely be a move tutor in ORAS and Z/X2/Y2/XZ/YZ/whatever the hell the third version will be called, which would allow the two to be able to use those moves again.

Another thing I don't understand is that in Pokemon Generation 5, Golurk could learn Fly, most likely due to the thing where it hides its feet and fires air or something out of its leg holes, but yet it can't be in an Aerial Battle. Castform can't learn Natural Power. And, to be honest, I never have understood why Noctowl and Stantler are Normal-Type and not Psychic. Also, why can't they make Splash only useless to Pokemon under a certain weight? And, even though irrelevant, why can Hoppip and Wynaut learn Splash? Oh, and Exeggcute can't learn Softboiled? I can assume, under extremely famished conditions, it could sacrifice one of its own to raise its health, kinda like how we can eat our own cells during extreme conditions to survive (also known as Autophagy).

Back