XY Pokémon That Don't Learn Attacks That Fit Them - Why Should They Learn Them?

RE: Moves that Pokémon should get but don't - Gen VI Edition

ScorchingShock said:
Ohman177 said:
Apparently Umbreon didn't get Moonblast. I call bullshit.

Oh hell no.
Umbreon HAS to learn Moonblast!
What the heck was GF smoking when they chose not to give Moonblast to Umbreon, a pokemon who ACTUALLY GAINS POWER FROM MOONLIGHT?!

The only thing I can think which may have caused this decision would be that the move was introduced with Sylveon and as one of the first Fairy moves so they wanted to keep it exclusive to Sylveon.

But it is a terrible decision either way, and I'm really hoping that it at least gets it as an egg move later on.

RE: Pokémon That Don't Learn Attacks That Fit Them - Generation 6 Update

TayBee said:
Maybe this sounds crazy... but the fact that Goodra cannot learn surf really ticked me off. Hydration... Muddy Water... but can't learn any other water moves.
Bubble. Rain Dance. Aqua Tail.

mega safariblade said:
TayBee said:
Maybe this sounds crazy... but the fact that Goodra cannot learn surf really ticked me off. Hydration... Muddy Water... but can't learn any other water moves.
Bubble. Rain Dance. Aqua Tail.

It does learn Flamethrower though. And Sludge Wave. Taking care of ice types and all but 2 fairy types, and those 2 are instead weak to Flamethrower. Being a special attacking pokemon, these moves are fabulous. Thanks to gooey and the right IVs/EVs, it can kick butt without Surf.

Muddy Water is better anyway, minus the OW use, as it has a chance to lower acc. Surf just gets things wet and lets you ride on the pokemon. It's better as a slave/STAB move IMPO.

So i guess it's a matter of preference, Surf could have very well been added for the sake of 'why not'. Who knows it might get it next game/gen.

Considering that Helioptile/Heliolisk are based off piezoelectric energy, them not having Solar Power as an ability confuses me (maybe it's a Hidden Ability), I will admit. I'm more confused by Braixen/Delphox not being able to learn Energy Ball, though.

Goodra also gets Ice Beam & Thunderbolt.

I think Umbreon with Moonblast won't be getting anywhere, since i think they want to pursue that Umberon's concept is the "dark side of the moon", hence the name and typing. While Moonblast is the "magical side of the moon" for the fairies. Heck, Espeon is the Sun Pokemon and it didn't get Solar Beam. The typing of those moves just didn't match the said pokemon. I don't know why the developer attributed Fairy-type with moon, since it can causes confusions like this where the already existed Mmoon pokemon getting kinda weird without having Moonblast. Glad Lunatone got it though, lol.

I know this thread is about Pokemon that can't learn moves that obviously fit them, but was anyone else insanely confused when their Tyrantrum was trying to learn Horn Drill while leveling up??? I swear I stared at my screen for 10 minutes trying to figure out how it could possibly learn that!

I almost take offense to the fact that nobody seems to notice the severe lack of moves for my second favorite pokemon of this gen, that being Hawlucha. Hawlucha missed out on a ton of fitting moves, if you ask me.
Brave Bird. Dunno, but a luchadore bird that can go toe to toe with machamp and hariyama, things that are way bigger than it, sure as hell seems pretty brave. Plus, he has a severe lack of viable flying moves at this point.

Fake out. Mabye it's just me, but it seems like a masked wrestler of all professions would know how to pull a flinch an opponent, especially over a psychic cat. (To clarify, I love meowstic. I just think that fake out would have better served hawlucha.)

There's other moves too. Body slam, the elemental punches, close combat, low sweep, and cross chop all fit a pokemon based on a professional fighting style, and I admit that maybe a lot of this is nitpicking. Still, I guess the fact it gets Hi Jump Kick makes it fearsome enough.

Rapid Spin Klinklang.

Think about it.

TayBee said:
Maybe this sounds crazy... but the fact that Goodra cannot learn surf really ticked me off. Hydration... Muddy Water... but can't learn any other water moves. Heck... why wasn't this guy water/dragon?
I agree, its utterly dumb that Goodra can't learn Surf, yet a Rock/Dark type like Tyranitar can. Pokémon Logic at its finest. Still, Goodra looks great for a Pokémon design. It just needed that Water STAB, and it would have been perfect for me.

*[mod]Drohn[/mod]: I removed a part of your post to prevent further off-topic discussion. We have another thread to discuss Pokémon types. *

I think Goodra can't learn Surf is due to the fact that it is based on a Sea Slug, of which most species can't swim. I think it's more surprising that so many other Pokémon DO learn Surf, than that Goodra can't learn it.

And it's getting more questionable when out of the blue, Slurpuff can learn Surf, i mean.. a whipped cream can do some surfing? O_O

And also Diggersby and Heliolisk and Gogoat and many other new pokemon that able to learn Surf, but not for Goodra? When i raised my Goomy i thought i finally can have a Surf pokemon in my party, oh never have i been so wrong. >_>

Gardevoir doesn't learn Draining kiss... I cried.

Drohn said:
I think Goodra can't learn Surf is due to the fact that it is based on a Sea Slug, of which most species can't swim. I think it's more surprising that so many other Pokémon DO learn Surf, than that Goodra can't learn it.

Might make sense, but I'm sure Goodra is based on a type of Sea Slug with the elements of a dragon, specially the blue dragon sea slug. Just read it floats on water, rather actually swimming. This would mean Surf would have been possible in some degree. Even so, it doesn't really matter now, as it has been done now, and Goodra already proved to be a good Pokémon even without that Water-STAB.

Gogoat can't learn double kick, triple kick, low kick, mega kick, or jump kick.
It is a Goat. That's what Goats do.

P.S.
it also can't learn Megahorn. IT HAS HORNS. ITS A GOAT, GOATS SMASH S* UP.... WITH THEIR HORNS

Personally, after all that jumping talk, I think it's ridiculous that Greninja doesn't learn Jump Kick (or hi jump kick).

Noibat/Noivern seem to have fewer sound-based moves than i would have expected.. They have some, but I would have expected Hyper Voice in there somewhere. I would also have expected Soundproof to be one of their abilities.

FoxFire said:
Noibat/Noivern seem to have fewer sound-based moves than i would have expected.. They have some, but I would have expected Hyper Voice in there somewhere. I would also have expected Soundproof to be one of their abilities.
I think that BoomBurst more than covers that.

FoxFire said:

I don't know, I can see why it wouldn't have it. Hyper Voice implies the move is generated through the use of their voice and mouth, like screaming. But Noivern's sound based attacks aren't generated from it's mouth and lungs, but from its ear/sonar things instead. So I wouldn't think hyper voice would work.

You would also think Barbaracle would learn Crush Claw, seeing as just about all of its moves have to do with cutting, or claws, or whatever. Also because it has five, big, clawed hands.

WalterREBoRN said:
There's other moves too. Body slam, the elemental punches, close combat, low sweep, and cross chop all fit a pokemon based on a professional fighting style, and I admit that maybe a lot of this is nitpicking.

But it does get Low Sweep. Mine has it as I'm typing this.

Back