Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: May 2017 - Beginnermons - All Results Up!

This is a really cool card BUT I don't think Talonflame is on the list of Pokemon you can use... (unless I'm mistaken :p)
No, but it's in the evolutionary line of one, so it's fair game, according to the OP.

AnyPokémon (excluding starters) that can be caught in the first few areas of any region, plus their evolutions, can be chosen this month.

This is a really cool card BUT I don't think Talonflame is on the list of Pokemon you can use... (unless I'm mistaken :p)
Talonflame is allowed, since Fletchling's line is on the spreadsheet in the OP.

It's a very nice card, by the way! I didn't expect a product so fast, but you've done a really nice job! Reminds me of a real Gen 3 card. ^v^

Crikey these things fill up fast!

I'd like to sign up for Text-based. However, if there's no space, I'll have to learn GIMP (tips please) and go for Image-based.

One of these months I might be quick enough for the text half. Image is more fun anyway! In!

I've been using GIMP and Photoshop CS2. Both are free and legal! For Photoshop CS2 you've gotta input this code: 1045-1412-5685-1654-6343-1431.

I use GIMP for all the design elements and Photoshop for the words. It's pretty substandard as compared to CS6 but it's fine for my standards hahaha. But I guess if you wanna be as good as Tyler, Photoshop CS6 is a must have.

Tyler's hot GIMP tips:
Step 1- don't
Step 2- pirate legally acquire Photoshop somehow, and learn that instead

;)

Truth here. I spent two years working with GIMP but forgot it all the minute I eventually figured out how to get a copy of Photoshop.

I believe you can legally get older versions. They haven't updated all that much.

Man, those text based slots filled up fast! And it looks like image based will be filling up pretty quickly too!

@WastedSkyPirate
Honestly GIMP works just as well as Photoshop in most aspects once you learn to use it. I used GIMP to create my artwork back in my early art days before I bought Paint Tool SAI, so I learned how to use it. Thus I don't really have much of a reason to relearn everything with Photoshop. But if you haven't learned GIMP, it would just be easier to "legally obtain" Photoshop instead. Also I 100% approve of "legally obtaining" Photoshop because Adobe charges a king's ransom for the damn thing, no matter what version.

Man, those text based slots filled up fast! And it looks like image based will be filling up pretty quickly too!

@WastedSkyPirate
Honestly GIMP works just as well as Photoshop in most aspects once you learn to use it. I used GIMP to create my artwork back in my early art days before I bought Paint Tool SAI, so I learned how to use it. Thus I don't really have much of a reason to relearn everything with Photoshop. But if you haven't learned GIMP, it would just be easier to "legally obtain" Photoshop instead. Also I 100% approve of "legally obtaining" Photoshop because Adobe charges a king's ransom for the damn thing, no matter what version.
If you wanna avoid the stigma/shame of piracy, the trick is to find physical copies of older versions, second hand. You can sometimes get pretty decent deals if you're patient enough.
I currently use the complete Adobe cs4 creative suite which I won in an eBay auction for a fraction of what it'd cost to get it all brand new. Which was still a real wallet-drain. But considering how it includes every single Adobe product that was around in the cs4 days, and I'm pretty much covered for any artistic project I could ever wish to do on a computer, I don't regret the purchase one bit.

@Deku @TylerRVG

Thanks again for the advice guys.

When I get back from work, I'll have a search for Photoshop (Google & eBay). I'm sure I can find a copy in plenty of time to get my entry together for this month's CAC.

@Deku @TylerRVG

Thanks again for the advice guys.

When I get back from work, I'll have a search for Photoshop (Google & eBay). I'm sure I can find a copy in plenty of time to get my entry together for this month's CAC.
Remember that Photoshop CS2 has been officially freeware for the past few years. While probably over a decade and a half out of date, it still has everything you could need to make a good looking fake, with enough practice. You might wanna give it a try before you pull the trigger on a newer version that you'll have to pay for.

I've got a question. If a Pokemon evolves into another Pokemon, can we make a GX version of the pre-
evolution?
There's really no restriction to what you can do mechanic-wise when it comes to card design. The big question is whether what you do is believable. :p

In for text based
Sorry man, text-based is already filled up. You could try for the image-based portion, though! We've got a ton of resources and guides to make it easier for anyone wanting to make image-based cards.

Crikey these things fill up fast!

I'd like to sign up for Text-based. However, if there's no space, I'll have to learn GIMP (tips please) and go for Image-based.

From my understanding, GIMP allows for all the basic functionality that Photoshop has, plus has quite a few of the more advanced options, but I think the interface can be somewhat hard to grasp at first. Some of our veteran fakers, notably @Nekoban Ryo, uses GIMP and uses it quite effectively to make both cards and resources. You could look up tutorials - both written and video - for the software if you get stuck, as I've found that tutorials tend to unravel things quite nicely. That or you could go with CS2, but I wouldn't recommend buying Photoshop unless you're planning on using it for more than just cards.

--

Also, it's probably a good time to mention that I will be judging the text-based portion this month, if you didn't notice already in the OP. :p

IN FOR TEXT
Unfortunately, as bb mentioned in the post directly above yours, text-based is already full. Image-based is still open, if you'd like to give that a go––we have lots of resources available, with several tutorials and guides written up by some of out veteran image-fakers, if you'd like to learn. :)

Back