Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: May 2017 - Beginnermons - All Results Up!

Just to add on that, the fan-voting surveys have exploded on us (that being, they got self-deleted), which unfortunately means we won't be posting fan-voting this month. It will definitely be returning in June through a more reliable method, however! Sorry about the inconvenience, to anyone who may have been looking forward to the results. :)

Thanks for the update dude. I for one fall into that bracket of waiting to see where I made a mess of things last month before I submit this month's entry.

Just to add on that, the fan-voting surveys have exploded on us (that being, they got self-deleted), which unfortunately means we won't be posting fan-voting this month. It will definitely be returning in June through a more reliable method, however! Sorry about the inconvenience, to anyone who may have been looking forward to the results. :)
To play the devil's advocate here, it was probably for the best. A lot of people came here admitting they messed up when voting, the results would potentially be a lot different if everyone voted properly. Not to say that this was a waste of time, this month served as a good time to test the new system.

Yeah, I'll take responsibility for the fanvoting this month; I thought I'd run enough tests, but it turns out that I hadn't done the important thing of letting a server actually reach deadline. Opavote deletes it immediately! It also lied to me about the deadline under text-based voting; it ended on the 4th and not the 5th, while the image-based voting seemed to end on the 7th, after saying the 6th. It's very unreliable software and, needless to say, we won't be using it again.

We'd still like to do ranked voting, however. I think it's got untapped potential. The mods spent a long time looking at ways to have everything fully automated, so as to prevent human error (I live an erroneous life :U) but it doesn't look like it's out there. Therefore, the plan next month is to use Surveymonkey to collate votes, and then for me to go through and manually do ballot completion (where you can only rank a few of them and for the rest of the votes to be worth the same but above 0). Surveymonkey is very reliable but didn't have this one feature. Regardless, I've learned that if something works, don't try a new website with a cute friendly outside, because on the inside it might ravenously tear apart all your plans ^w^

Also, my computer broke, so there woulda been a delay anyway. This has NOT been a good month. That's also why this statement took a long time to come out. But it's back to life again!

Sounds like something that would be very simple to crank through an excel sheet with the right formulae in, although you'd still have the manual effort of the copy & paste part. Cheers for the explanation.

Yeah, cheers for the update. Worth trialling new ways of doing things; I agree that ranked voting is the future.

I'm happy to help if you fine fellows need assistance.

Image-Based Results

Judge: @Jabberwock

Dark%20Talonflame_zpsubgcqco6.png

I admit I sort of question the logic behind a beginnermon given a Dark card, which is normally associated with Team Rocket, but hey, I love ex-era blanks as much as the next Metagross. :p I think you’ve also achieved a nicely balanced card here, so well done on that front! The only thing I’d be concerned about is the HP, which is on par with Dark Dragonite and Dark Tyranitar, both of which consistently rank higher than Talonflame in today’s HP counts.

The power effect is interesting, but might possibly warrant a free retreat cost, as Luxray GL Lv. X had. Brave Bird does damage and recoil, which seems fair if not terribly creative.

Wording errors:
- “to evolve your Active Pokémon” should be “to evolve 1 of your Active Pokémon”. [-1 point]
- “1 Defending Pokémon” should be “1 of the Defending Pokémon”. [-1 point]
- Missing “Benched” in the power text. [-1 point]
- The targeted Pokémon should be the Benched, not the Active, as per Pow! Hand Extension. [-2 points]

Fonts and Placement errors:
- On-point.

Creativity/Originality: 11/15
(Nice power effect.)
Wording: 10/15
(A few wonky ex-era things.)
Fonts and Placement: 10/10
(See above.)
Believability/Playability: 4/5
(High-end of HP; a free retreat cost might be in order.)
Aesthetics: 3/5
(Nothing too fancy.)
Total: 38/50

03%20Butterfree-GX%20V3.0.png

Last month I mourned the fact that despite a brilliant score on your part, I couldn’t give you full Aesthetics points. I see you’ve really stepped that up, and I must say you’ve succeeded in making a Pokémon that doesn’t often receive a lot of attention look exceptional. The art works very nicely, even splicing a model and a background. The only thing that bugs me a bit is the holosheet being the wrong one for the SM-era, but even that’s not technically incorrect –– Snorlax-GX uses the same linear holosheet as XY-era holos, rather than SM. I also don’t feel justified docking points for incorrect holosheets when the correct ones haven’t been created/ripped by the community yet. :p

190 HP for a beginner bug seems fair, but I think you probably could have gone to 200 or even 210 with the same intent, based off the fact that it is a Stage 2, usually with around 10-20 more HP than Lapras, Tauros, etc.

As much as I love the aesthetics this time around, though, the creativity in the effects seems to be a bit lacking. Quiver Dance is literally a buffed version of the Quiver Dance from Butterfree FLF (and its GEN reprint). Mysterious Dust is nothing new. The only real originality I particularly see here is in the GX attack.

Wording errors:
- Looks fine. You even got the “Then, shuffle your deck”! :D

- Justify text on the GX attack. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 10/15
(Pretty much a rehash of Butterfree FLF, plus a GX attack.)
Wording: 15/15
(All good.)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(Very close.)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(What you lose in Creativity you gain in Believability.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(Looks very nice.)
Total: 44/50

Poochyena_zpspwzxio8p.png

I think this might have the best connection to the theme of any entry I’ve seen this month. For ages before I started playing competitive, I would play with open hands –– I definitely agree it’s the best way to help someone learn. I quite like the Ability, too, though I believe the card, despite a brilliant design, is underpowered due to Town Map serving the same function.

Wording errors:
- Ironically the only wording errors I found were in the flavor text. There’s an extra space between “rare” and “Pokémon” (won’t dock for this one) and “Trainer” in the context of Pokémon Trainer is always capitalized in media. [-1 point]

- On point.

Creativity/Originality: 12/15
(Very nice connection to the theme.)
Wording: 14/15
(Flavor text.)
(On-point.)
Believability/Playability: 3/5
(I could see it being printed, but that’s only part of this score. Unfortunately, it’s a little underpowered.)
Aesthetics: 4/5
(Adorable art and nice choice of holosheet –– but be careful of the holosheet sticking out past the corners of the card!)
Total: 43/50

63wEtRI.png

‘ey Reggie, welcome back! I like that you’re using a NFE Pokémon, but tbh it’s a fine line to walk. The fact that the Ability is on a coin flip––and also hinges on you attaching an Energy that will go unused if it already has two [L] attached––makes a somewhat basic effect very underpowered. Note Gumshoos-GX, a Stage 1 just like Magneton, which can reveal your opponent’s hand once per turn, for free.

The attack is a little lackluster as well; consider how much damage Manectric-EX does, since you used that for reference. 2-for-80 on a Stage 1 with no other particularly remarkable features just doesn’t really cut it.

Wording errors:
- You don’t need to include “basic” as a requisite for the Energy, because Special Energy only provide Energy while attached to a Pokémon anyway. [-1 point]
- “Your opponent must reveal his or her hand” should be “Your opponent reveals his or her hand”. [-2 points]

- Justify Ability text. [-1 point]
- Bulk of text below the ‘dex bar is too far to the right. [-2 points]
- Numeral font is wrong. Note that the “4” is too angular. [-1 points]
- Retreat cost is much too far to the left. [-1 point]

(A little bland.)
Wording: 12/15
(See above.)
Fonts and Placement: 5/10
(See above.)
Believability/Playability: 2/5
(Underpowered. Fire Weakness is weird for a [L]-type Magneton.)
Aesthetics: 2/5
(Art is likewise a bit bland. Watch the corners poking out past the border.)
Total: 31/50

6c2e05c1bd.png

That’s a sweet-looking card for a pretty (and in my opinion pretty underrated) Pokémon. Seems like you and WSP this month each elected to go with an earlygame bug as a GX, and tbh I really like the idea behind making an underused earlygame ‘mon into one of the most powerful cards mechanically in the game.

Beginning Memories is interesting thematically, but it’s very unusual for a card to reference the games so blatantly as to do more damage for each Pokémon of another species, solely because that other species is found in the same locations as it. The closest analogue I can think of is the pair of promos XY89 and XY90––Pikachu and Hoopa––which reference each other, but not because of any ingame parallel.

Rebirth Ray seems fine, and actually quite interesting imo. I think it would have been good, though, to exclude Vivillon from Beginning Memories’ damage output, mainly so one can’t be used to power up the other. It’s not a huge issue, though, and certainly isn’t overpowered.

A little bit disappointed with Bug Hug. Since all of the attacks can be used with one Energy attachment anyway, it would’ve been nice to have a first attack that wasn’t strictly worse than the second.

Wording errors:
- “(both yours and your opponent’s)” should be inside the full stop, not outside. It doesn’t form a full sentence on its own. [-2 points]
- Should have a comma after “Pikachu”. Reference Piloswine BKT. [-1 point]
- “Shuffle your deck afterward” is “Then, shuffle your deck” in this era. [-2 points]

- In the SM era, you don’t change the alignment of attack names based on Energy count. [-2 points]
- The “You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game” clause should begin right after the end of the text of the GX attack––not on a new line. [-1 point]
- Justify text. [-1 point]

(Interesting concepts. Would’ve liked to see Bug Hug do something.)
(See above.)
Fonts and Placement: 6/10
(See above.)
(Unusual inclusion of Pikachu and Bunnelby.)
(Very nice.)
Total: 39/50

ZbAe07O.png

This is a huge step up from last month, Yog––practically all the issues I had with April’s entry are fixed on this one. The Pokémon art and background are nicely incorporated; no stray jagged edges or out-of-place bits or anything.

In terms of the card itself, I do love me some non-damaging GX attacks. Winds of Change is a neat little effect that could make for an interesting counter to spread decks (which tbh aren’t too widespread rn, but yay for hypotheticals \o/). Honey Gather works nicely with Pollen Count’s tricky Energy cost, and the card as a whole isn’t overpowered. Nice work, mate.

Wording errors:
- First attack actually doesn’t need to be updated at all––Energy is only called “Energy cards” when not attached to a Pokémon; it’s just “Energy” when it is. [-1 point]
- Second attack should be reworded to more closely match Florges-EX. [-2 points]
- “You may” in the GX attack seems out of place. [-1 point]

- Nothing too significant.

(Nice design process; cool GX attack.)
Wording: 11/15
(A few hyper-corrected things.)
(Nothing big enough to dock for.)
(Seems fine.)
(Looks very pretty.)
Edited: -2

Total: 41/50

lotad__cac_may_2017__by_tylercomfyhat-db93sqs.png

The art is cute, and I do love Lotad, but unfortunately the attacks (well, attack) leaves a lot to be desired. It’s a kinda cool way of doing spread damage, but it hinges on your opponent running [W] and [G] Pokémon to be effective. I don’t really understand why it damages [W]-types more than [G]-types, or why it damages Pokémon of its own types, or how floating can be furious. I think it would’ve benefited from a cool Ability or second attack to make it a bit more interesting.

Wording errors:
- Need the “Don’t apply W/R for Benched Pokémon” clause. [-2 points]

- Semi-free pass for a custom blank. Going to say that text should be Justified irrespective of whether you’re using a custom blank or not. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 9/15
(Doesn’t strike me as particularly new.)
Wording: 13/15
(Semi-free pass, but missing an important clause.)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(Another semi-free pass.)
(There’s a lot about the card that just doesn’t make sense.)
(Cute art.)
Total: 36/50

lU_l78TY5jHkn6zf_lK4XvhxACUU4BkqL6E39gLXakztpmmcj_zz8HW5toIdxhGfCZAN2O4fpfCXS3SqJlyTQwmFie12Ma-VD5q5vppcvQhOUkUPqfpAIAXgSThJKM6AYPiRxD01EYIblko-3l2VIrQIZRUq--_xcJlIgzKskx31FMWrsFgY2NBx1tflY98PgWulIvVTYLAukPHvtROq30eKmW1DxxQBNElTlPac2ETde4Zk35UCaBSyeYWlQQA0jRyB_5I-8CbUZdr_TlXPIhqkAbUkSF9arkDuCUDls6-Z1VOYBVKKp5NvIfWxRjgwP9OoDbgW8cZgvm4eIxqbPeS-_m2mpdxqMquv30RMytnlzk4bF4_vBQ5adBUC-THjzNQDMNG4zQ_-l0r30yFo1cJb6R-k3SalENIKKWewm6yvTORX8HyZfcyhDyhnuTBKfP4nMjuE3jZ8F6QzXktDZzktG7EqCQ8z7oCpLbqf0Pdz7nhESJlV4QHF2mHDvphu5uzS00SqRMSjed87U9D78vdV0FNu27eyNAutMyeEyTNF-ZGu9hqDHyK2a2i44f5YH5O_tgr4qv5UOGrlQs8uSpYvMWkR587Q329jimbvTHDaizJ-sLiz-oQUbsBxV8CgEUPfsw2uVtJO6CnFgFLEEDzdHMiXxV4TkEQV9IVLhw=w675-h950-no

I agree with you that the art is reminiscent of older-era cards, particularly lowercase ex’s. The holosheet also works much better when it doesn’t cover up the Pokémon. As for the dual-type blank, the purple and pink do fade into each other, and the [Y] symbol in the upper-right is not immediately noticeable, with the result that it took me a while to realize the card I was looking at had two types. I think a potential improvement for the blank could be separating the two type icons in the upper-right so that one is right next to the other, with the HP scooted over a bit to the left to make room.

First thing I’ll note is the Ability –– it’s very, very powerful. To be able to more-or-less control what your opponent draws every turn (exception being if all six cards are draw Supporters or other cards your opponent can benefit from, which is unlikely) is borderline broken. It’s better than an Ability that states “Your opponent can’t draw a card at the beginning of their next turn”, but not by much.

Glamour Burst is fine; it’s not worse than X Ball given that it’s on a Stage 2.

Courtly Command is on the confusing side of things for one main reason –– do you get to look at your opponent’s hand before choosing a card to play, or do you choose a card at random? There’s nothing in the text to suggest either way, and yet it could make a significant difference in the power level of the card. I also disagree with some of the wording in the attack, but hey, it’s your era.

[Y]-type W/R is interesting given that [P] is the type that takes dominance in the upper-right. This isn’t something I’d dock points for, but I’m curious as to why you chose to represent only one type’s W/R, and why you chose [Y]?

Wording errors:
- Should have a comma after the “(before your attack)” clause. [-1 point]
- Missing something one way or the other to indicate whether you get to see your opponent’s hand before picking a card from it for Courtly Command. [-3 points]

- Your blank, your rules.

(Interesting ideas that fail a bit in balancing.)
(MIssing a major clarification.)
(Custom blank.)
(Very worrying Ability.)
(Nice art and holosheeting.)

SvYNeOG.png

The card is cool and it’s awesome to see that you’re faking in a … well, not lesser-known era; Blui has seen to that; but lesser-known blank. I’ve seen very few Prime cards over the years I’ve been faking, and I can’t help but cheer when somebody decides to give it a go. ^.^

I like the connections you’ve got going there, to the concept of fighting dirty and taking extra Prizes. The card reminds me a bit of Absol Prime, actually. Unfortunately Absol never saw much play except as a tech here or there as an alternate attacker once Dark Explorers rolled in and made [D] Pokémon very very good. I could see this Liepard working out similarly, only perhaps seeing a bit more play than Absol on the grounds that you get extra Prizes (whee). It’s still a challenge to power up that attack, though; think a [D][C][C] cost would’ve made it slightly more playable in a format without Dark Patch.

Wording errors:
- Reference Rayquaza & Deoxys LEGEND for proper wording for the Poké-Body. [-3 points]

- Fonts all look close, but not quite on point. Think you might have a setting other than “Smooth” checked for text-style. Try fiddling with that. [-2 points]
- Justify text. [-1 point]

(Connections to “fighting dirty” and taking extra Prizes.)
(Always always always look for wording references.)
Fonts and Placement: 7/10
(See above.)
(Certainly not overpowered. Perhaps a little bit under.)
(Nice Prime-style art.)

pidgeot-gx-jpg.13501

The art’s really pretty––when I saw the WIP I thought it looked incredible––but to be honest there isn’t a whole lot on the card that another Pidgeot card hasn’t done before, and there’s a lot more to Create-a-Card (and faking in general) than those five Aesthetics points.

Loyalty is perhaps my favorite non-art part of the card. Quick Search is indeed a power too broken to perhaps ever show its face again, and I think the way you changed it for the current format is good. It’s definitely still on the powerful side; as Tapu Lele-GX has shown us, being able to nab any Supporter you like is very good, but on a Stage 2 it is less of an issue to beef up the power so much.

Hypersonic Cyclone and Mirror Move GX both strike me as just straight-up revamps of the most recent Pidgeot cards made. No, they’re not exactly the same thing, but I still can’t give you loads of Creativity points for attacks that have been done before with only minor changes to reflect a Stage 2 Pidgeot.

I also agree with you that the HP should have been 240. Pidgeot is no wall like Metagross, nor a Legendary Pokémon like the Cosmic duo. I’d put its HP around the same level as Vikavolt, Kommo-o, or Decidueye. It’s a bird, not a god. Being of a mindset that makes you “do everything right and not accept anything less” shouldn’t make you create overpowered cards; it should make you create balanced cards.

Wording errors:
- “(before your attack)” clause should be italicized. [-1 point]
- In SM-on, “his or her” should be replaced with “their”. [-1 point]
- Missing the second “d” in “damaged” in the GX attack. [-1 point]
- Mirror Move GX has a confusing wording, mainly because of the reminder text “(including any effects of your opponent’s attack)”. The text around that clause indicates that you should just do the damage to your opponent’s Active Pokémon, and damage doesn’t include any effects other than damage, so you can’t put that in reminder text. You would need to reword the attack to be something like “If …, use that attack as this attack”, in line with Zoroark BREAK’s Foul Play. [-2 points]

- Attack icons are much too small. Think you’ve taken W/R icons again and made them attack icons. [-2 points]
- Text is weirdly small and disproportionate to the spacing between lines. (They should be the same roughly 29-pt for both text and space on that size of blank, and if you need to resize the text make sure you resize the spacing, too.) [-2 points]

(Seems too much like a rehash of recent Pidgeot cards. Loyalty is cool, though.)
(A bunch of minor things and one more major thing.)
Fonts and Placement: 6/10
(Sizing is off on both text and symbols.)
(HP on the high end.)
(Pretty rainbow art.)
Total: 35/50

smeargle-final-jpg.13499

I like the synergy between the attacks. IMO Smeargle is one of the most awesome Pokémon to do creative stuff with because it can do literally anything. It may not be a dragon or god of death or anything, but there’s something about this little painter pup that’s hard not to love.

Basic Energy being basic Energy in this era, the attack maxes out at 70-for-six, which is by no means overpowered. It’s also relatively easy to power up, but I think that’s cool more than anything else, and also doesn’t make it overpowered.

Wording errors:
- “this Pokémon” should be Smeargle. (x2) [-3 points]
- “Energy” -> “Energy card”, and “basic” likely does not need to be there. Reference Electrode BS. [-2 points]
- “Basic” is capitalized only when referring to Basic Pokémon. Basic in the context of Energy is never capitalized. [-1 point]

- Text of the first attack looks a couple pixels too high. As a rule, if the attack name contains a letter that falls below the line (like a “y” or “g”), the bottom of that letter should be just short of hitting the top of the line beneath it. [-1 point]
- “10+” should align on the right side starting with the “0”, not with the “+”. [-2 points]

(Attacks have nice synergy.)
Wording: 9/15
(A couple era-specific things.)
(See above.)
(Seems plausible.)
(Nice art. Would like to recommend giving holosheets a try.)
Total: 36/50

Beedrill_CAC.png

Ooh, a [P]-type Beedrill. It seems very much in line with what an ordinary Beedrill would do, only in purple. Beedrill happen to be very good at two things: swarming and poisoning. Both those things are very evident in the card. I wouldn’t even say it’s overpowered––110 + poison, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, is a perfectly acceptable range for a Stage 2 for two Energy, particularly as if you want to actually hit 110 you need a Mew out there (two Prizes, whee).

I noted your concern about whether the text is too small, so I’d like to take a moment to address that here for you and for whoever else happens to be reading this and has a similar concern: The text is most definitely not too small, but your spacing is actually slightly off now. If you’re in PS, go to Windows > Character and check to make sure the font size and spacing width are the same (if you scale one, scale the other).

Wording errors:
- “for each Beedrill on your Bench” should read “for each of your Benched Beedrill”. Reference M Rayquaza-EX, Audino-EX, Gallade LTR, etc. [-2 points]

- The spacing issue I mentioned above. [-1 point]

(Similar to Beedrill cards of the past, but also good new take on it.)
Wording: 13/15
(See above.)
(A singular spacing issue, now. Very close to on-point.)
(I could see it. Definitely on the “good” side, but not brokenly so.)
(Art is pretty cool; holosheets would also be pretty cool.)
Total: 39/50

falkner_s_pidgeot_by_blui129-dbalu8f.png

Never been a huge fan of counters and markers, as I’ve always felt one shouldn’t have to lug anything around with them save dice and a deckbox (and a playmat if you so choose), and having to keep track of multiple markers just doesn’t seem intuitive. That said, it’s interesting design space to explore being able to keep effects going for multiple turns, or in this case, racking up markers before removing them all with one fell swoop (‘cause it’s a bird? No? Okay).

I spent a while trying to decide if this was overpowered or not. On the one hand, it takes three turns before it can one-shot 90% of the format, and four before it can one-shot everything, but on the other hand, it only takes three turns before it can one-shot 90% of the format, during which time you can have an alternate attacker ready to go. I came to the conclusion that whichever HGSS format this was in, your opponent would have access to one of Luxray GL LV.X or pre-errata Pokémon Catcher––or 2011 Worlds, in which Zekrom and Reshiram abounded as attackers for 120––and so it’s easily checkable.

Wording errors:
- Healing damage should be removing damage counters. [-2 points]
- Missing an “in” before “this way”. [-1 point]

- Looks good.

(Interesting exploration of markers with good, if obvious, synergy between power and attack.)
(Couple minor things.)
(Looks good.)
(Cautious -1 because markers are weird.)
(Art works perfectly with an HGSS blank; cool adaptation for Gym Leader blank.)
Total: 42/50

3rd Place: Blui’s loyal Falkner’s Pidgeot, with 42/50 points.
2nd Place: Kavross’s golden Poochyena, with 43/50 points.
1st Place: WastedSkyPirate’s glittery Butterfree, with 44/50 points.

Congrats to the winners! See ya in June!

Text-Based Results

Judge: @bbninjas

Judge's Note: There was a number of interesting entries this month, however unfortunately for a lot of people, the wording of their effects dragged them down. Make sure that you check over your card, especially for those small mistakes such as not accenting the 'é' in 'Pokémon', and missing the captilisation of words such as 'Benched'. It can be the make-or-break for a number of entries fighting for that top spot.

Also, huge apologies on behalf of the CAC team for the delayed judging this month - rest assured, this will not be a regular occurance!

thegrovylekid:

Pichu Lv. 4 HP: 30 [L]
Basic
172.png

Poké-POWER: Baby Evolution
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may put Pikachu from your hand onto Pichu (this counts as evolving Pichu) and remove all damage counters from Pichu.

Poké-BODY: Baby Charm
Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to Pichu by your opponent's Evolved Pokémon.

The electric pouches on its cheeks are still small. They cannot store much electricity yet.

Weakness: [F] +10
Resistance: [M] -20
Retreat: [C]

Ahaha, of course you chose Pichu!

While your Pichu is certainly very believable, it doesn’t really seem to be anything new. Baby Evolution is the standard Baby Ability of the DP era, and Baby Charm, while is fitting flavourly, is quite similar to HGSS’s ‘Sweet Sleeping Face’. I’d probably like to see something a bit more out-of-the-box, if you were looking for more creativity points.

I would question the choice to have 30 HP for the card on the Believability side of things, considering other Pichu have either 40 or 50 HP.

Wording errors:
- Looks fine to me!

Creativity/Originality: 12/20
(It’s flavourful, but pretty standard.)
Wording: 15/15
(Perfect!)
Believability/Playability: 14.5/15
(A cautious half point lost for the HP.)
Total: 41.5/50

Solid job TGK. Let’s just get some more of those creative juices flowing, next time!

rainyman123:
Grubbin HP 70 Grass
Basic Pokémon

grubbin.gif

/Ability/ - Grubbin's Groovin'
When you put this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench, you may attach an Energy card from your discard pile to this Pokémon.

[G][L] Extra Stabby 50
If damage from this attack would Knock Out your opponent's active Pokémon-EX or Pokémon-GX, take 1 more Prize card.

Weakness: Fire x2
Resistance: None
Retreat: [C][C]
They often gather near places frequented by electric Pokémon in order to avoid being attacked by bird Pokémon.

I don’t really get how the flavour of the attacks relate to the effects you’ve given, honestly. “Grubbin’s Groovin’” sounds like a pretty cool Ability name, but attaching Energy from the discard doesn’t really relate. I suppose he’s groovin’ to get move on, but still, that seems like a bit of a stretch. I understand “Extra Stabby” a bit better, but it’s still somewhat vague.

I am slightly concerned about Extra Stabby’s power for a Pokemon like Grubbin. The 50 base damage is already high for a unevolved Basic, but then it’s got a really good effect on top of that. Damage modifiers means that Grubbin will being dealing a respectable amount of damage, with the bonus (and likely!) potential of taking extra prize cards. The [G][L] cost is pretty much moot thanks to its Ability, which although is synergetic, prevents it from balancing the attack effect.

Multi-type cost attacks are seldom present on non-Dragon-type Pokemon, so you’ll lose some believability there.

Wording errors:
- “active” should be “Active” (-1 pt)
- The “Extra Stabby” should be worded in a slightly different order: “If your opponent’s Pokémon-EX or Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out by damage from this attack, take 1 more Prize card”. (-2 pt)

References: “Extra Stabby” - Umbreon-EX

Creativity/Originality: 14/20
(There’s synergy, and some interesting effects, although nothing particularly different. Somewhat vague flavour.)
(Some slight errors.)
Believability/Playability: 14/15
(Multi-type attack costs are a bit weird for non-Dragon types.)
Total: 40/50

Nice work, rainy! Your attack names were quite creative; draw inspiration from those for your effects and you could cook up some really interesting stuff.

ZygardeChronicles:
Basic-Grass-Caterpie-HP50

Ability: Caterpillar Munchies
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a [G] energy from your hand. If you do, this Pokémon’s attacks do 20 more damage.

[G] March 10x Damage
This attack does 10 damage times the amount of [G] Pokémon on your bench.

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance:

I’m liking the flavour you’ve got going on here, especially “Caterpillar Munchies” - that made me smile. You’re starting to explore some design space there with the Ability, which is neat, although it’s not really anything particularly new (see Volcanion-EX).

“March” is pretty much “Do the Wave”, and I’m actually a bit concerned about the power of this attack considering it’s on a Caterpie. Five Pokemon on the bench (or eight with Sky Field) isn’t difficult, plus 20 from the Ability, means that you’re hitting at least 70 damage, all for a single energy on a Basic - and that’s not including damage modifiers! Compare that to Audino NVI, which has the same attack for [C][C], and Audino’s not a particularly weak Pokemon.

Wording errors:
“(before your attack)” should be italicised (-1pt)
“energy” should be capitalised as “Energy” (-1pt)
Energy that has not yet been attached to a Pokemon (e.g. in your hand) is referred to as an “Energy card”. (-1pt)
“amount of” should be “number of”. (-1pt)
You need to specify to whom this damage boost can be applied, as so: “...more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokémon…” (-2pts)
You are missing the “(before applying Weakness and Resistance).” after “to your opponent’s Active Pokemon”. (-2pts)
You need to clarify the duration of the damage boost from the Ability, as so: “If you do, during this turn, …”. (-3pts)

References: “Caterpillar Munchies” - Professor Kukui, Volcanion-EX; “March” - Alolan Raticate SM, Audino NVI

(Use of flavour and exploring some design space.)
Wording: 4/15
(A number of minor and major wording errors.)
Believability/Playability: 13/15
(A powerful attack on a Basic, even more on a Caterpie.)

Just be careful about what you reference, Zygarde, as different words and structures are used depending on the content. Unfortunately, you got caught out on a number of mistakes that tend to be less obvious this time.

Jadethepokemontrainer:
Weedle//Psychic//HP 50
Basic
weedle.png

Ability: String Stop
If this Pokémon's HP is 10, prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks and abilities from Poisoned Pokémon.

[P][C] Poison Prick 10
Your opponents Active Pokémon is now Poisoned.

Weakness - Psychic x2
Resistance - Fighting -20
Retreat - [C]
Dex: It attacks using a two-inch poison barb on its head. It can usually be found under the leaves it eats.

-10 points because this is not a Caterpie. :U

Just kidding. I’m quite liking this card, Jade! I find “String Stop” an interesting and well-themed twist on damage prevention, albeit reminiscent of Toxicroak STS’s Poison Enzyme Ability. I would have liked to see a more interesting attack effect then the standard “Your opponent’s Active Pokémon is now Poisoned”, but there’s definitely synergy there.

Perhaps what I like the most here is that you’ve balanced the Ability perfectly! As you said, getting down to 10 remaining HP is very situational, but it’s still possible with things like Rainbow Energy, Team Magma’s Secret Base and Earthquake-esque attacks, so it’s not underpowered either.

Psychic-type cards that are typed so because of the Pokemon’s Poison type don’t have a resistance - unless they’re also part Flying type - so you lose a Believability point there.

Wording errors:
- When referring to the HP that a Pokemon currently has, you should use “remaining HP”, not just “HP. (-1pts)
- “abilities” should be capitalised as “Abilities” (-1pts)
- “opponents” should have an apostrophe, like so: “opponent’s” (-1pts)
- Abilities never deal damage, so stating that in your Ability is kinda redundant. You would have to either be preventing damage and/or effects, or word it like Machoke GRI’s “Daunting Pose” Ability. (-2pts)
- It needs to be clarified who’s Poisoned Pokemon are being referred to in the Ability. That is, “your opponent’s”, “your’s” or “either player’s”. (-2pts)

References: “String Stop” - Raticate BREAK, Toxicroak STS, Machoke GRI

Creativity/Originality: 15/20
(It’s flavourful and synergetic, with creativity starting to come through.)
Wording: 8/15
(Mostly smaller errors.)
(It shouldn’t have a resistance.)
Total: 37/50

Nice going, Jade! Just watch that wording, especially smaller things like grammar and capitalisation, in future.

teh awesome mudkipz:
Caterpie-Grass-HP30
Basic
Ability: Tiny-Sized
If your opponent's Active Pokemon attacks, and it has a base HP of 100HP or more, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, that attack does nothing.

[G] Bug Bite 20+
If your opponent's Active Pokemon is a {G} type, this attack does 40 more damage and heal 10 damage from this Pokemon.

Weakness: Fire (2x)
Resistance:
Let’s see how you go, Mudkip, on your first CAC entry ever! :D

This is a nice, thematic card you’ve got going. I particularly like how the Caterpie’s Ability ‘Tiny-Sized’ fits with the choice of HP - it’s a minor detail that could’ve easily been overlooked.

An Ability named ‘Tiny-Sized’ that relates to your opponent’s HP seems a tad odd to me from the flavour perspective. Assuming you mean that the attacks miss because Caterpie is tiny, does HP really have much to do with it? I get where you’re coming from, but I think basing the flip on damage or Energy costs would have made a bit more sense. On that note, I’m not entirely sure what you’re intending for the effect. Presently, the way the effect is written means that the Ability will activate whenever your opponent attacks, even if Caterpie is not your Active Pokemon, which is pretty powerful. Furthermore, if you had multiple Caterpie on your bench, you’d be able to use this Ability up to four times each attack! If you meant something else (perhaps more a Noivern FFI type of Ability?), make sure you’re clearer in future. :)

Bug Bite is probably a tad too powerful for a Caterpie. After all, a 40 HP Caterpie only did 10 damage for a single [G], where this one does 20 damage base plus potentially another 40.

Wording errors:
Make sure you’re accenting those ‘é’s in ‘Pokémon’! x3 (-2pts)
When referring to Pokemon types in the context you have, you don’t actually use ‘type’. Rather, you’d refer to them as ‘[G] Pokemon’. (-1pt)
The first clause should be written as “If your opponent’s Active Pokémon has 100HP or more and tries to attack during your opponent’s turn, your opponent flips a coin.” There’s two errors here, first the correct clause wording for preventing an attack (-2pt) and incorrect wording regarding HP (-1pt).
References: “Tiny-Sized” - Level Ball, Sandshrew EVO

Creativity/Originality: 13/20
(Use of flavour to make Caterpie more interesting, although flavourly a little strange.)
Wording: 9/15
(Couple of major and minor errors.)
Believability/Playability: 10/15
(Overpowered Ability and powerful attack for a Caterpie.)
Total: 32/50

Not bad, Mudkip! Trying drawing even more inspiration in future so you can get those Creativity points, and watch that your effects aren’t unbalanced (or what you intend!).

Tails:
Kricketune [G] HP: 90
Stage 1 - Evolves from Kricketot

kricketune.gif

Ability: Fine Tuning
If you have exactly 5 cards in your hand; ignore all Energy costs for each of this Pokémon's attacks.

[G] Crescendo Call
Search for deck for as many Kricketot cards you have in your Deck. Reveal them, and then place them in your Hand. Shuffle your Deck afterwards.

[G][G] Harmonic Crescendo 50+
This attack does 50 damage plus 10 damage for each Kricketot or Kricketune on your Bench.

Weakness - [R] x2
Resistance -
Retreat Cost - [C]
"It signals its emotions with its melodies. Scientists are studying these melodic patterns."
I’ve always found Kricketune somewhat cool, for some reason.

Nice flavour you’ve got going, Tails! I especially like the musical references that you’ve got going. However, the effects themselves don’t ‘wow’ me in particular. Fine Tuning is reminiscent of Yanmega Prime and, more recently, Yanmega pre-BREAK, and the attacks are fairly standard. Balancing, on the other hand, is spot on.

Wording errors:
- You’ll never find a semicolon (;) in the wording of a PTCG card effect. You should use a comma (,) instead. (-1pt)
- ‘costs for’ should be written as ‘the attack cost of’. (-1pt)
- the “reveal them” part should follow along with the previous clause, that being; ‘...deck, reveal them…’. (-1pt)
- You don’t ‘place’ cards into your hand, but rather ‘put’ them into your hand. (-1pt)
- ‘afterwards’ should be ‘afterward’. (-1pt) [I literally make this mistake every time I make a card, tbh.]
- ‘Deck’ and ‘Hand’ should be decaptilised, as ‘deck’ and ‘hand’. x3 (-2 pts)
- In the PTCG, the number of a certain card in your deck is not public knowledge, thus searching for ‘as many … cards as you have in your deck’ is actually practical or enforceable. The TCG gets around this using a slightly different wording, being ‘as many … cards as you like’. (-2pts)
References: “Crescendo Call” - Starly BRT

(Nothing particularly ‘wow’.)
Wording: 6/15
(A number of minor errors and some major errors.)
Believability/Playability: 15/15
(Perfecto!)
Total :34/50

You would’ve been close, Tails - it’s just the wording that’s pulling you down. You mostly picked the right references, just make sure that you read them carefully and pay attention to the details! :p

TheFlyingPidove:
Poliwag / HP: 50 / Water
~ Basic

060.png

-
[NO. 060 | Tadpole Pokémon | HT: 2'0'' | WT: 27.3 lbs.]

[Ability] Swirling Spiral
At any time during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is on your Bench, you may shuffle this Pokémon and all cards attached to it into your deck. If you do, flip a coin. If heads, your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Confused. If tails, discard a card from your hand.

[W] Rain Dance
You may attach as many [W] Energy cards from your hand to this Pokémon as you like during your next turn.

Weakness: [G] x2 | Resistance: -- | Retreat Cost: [C]
-
[This Pokémon isn't very good at walking yet, so it prefers to swim as long as possible.]

I like the playfulness of this card, TFP! I’m not sure if it was intentional, but how you shuffle Poliwag back into your deck reminds me of how water spirals/swirls down a drain. (Yeah, I’m weird.) The double effect adds to that playfulness, and generally, it’s a very fitting Ability on a basic Poliwag.

Rain Dance is cool, and although it isn’t a particularly unique effect (see Dragonair SUM), it’s a fun Ability that works nicely on the Pokemon you’ve picked.

Wording errors:
- Make sure you italicise ‘before your attack’! (-1pt)
- The “During your next turn,” should go at the beginning of the sentence, instead of the end. (-1pt)
- It seems that as of the SM era, the wording for attaching multiple Energy is a tad different, at least for the effect you’ve got going here, now ‘...you may attach any number of Energy cards from your hand to this Pokemon.’ (-2pts)

Creativity/Originality: 16/20
(Very fun and flavourful. The attacks a familiar, but have a fresh spin on them.)
(Two minor errors and a major error.)
Believability/Playability: 15/15
(Looks fine to me!)
Total: 42/50

Nice going! Just work on that wording. ^.^

Lunarwork:
Fearow - (C) - 100Hp
Stage 1- Evolves from Spearow

Ability: Sniper Flight
All Pokemon in play on your opponent's bench with Tool Cards attached to them
have no effect (You may only use this ability once every three turns.)

(C)- Peck-30
This attack does 10 damage to one of your opponent's Benched Pokemon
(Don't apply Weakness and Resistance to Benched Pokemon.)

(L)(C)(C)-Hyper Wing -80+
You may do 80 more damage. If you do, discard a Special Energy card attached to this
Pokemon and put 9 damage counters on this Pokemon.

Weakness: (L) x2
Resistance: (F) -20
Retreat: (C)

With its huge and magnificent wings, it can keep aloft without
ever having to land for rest.

NO. 22 - Beak Pokemon -HT: 3'11"
- WT: 83.8 lbs

This card is… weird.

I’m not exactly following the flavour for Sniper Flight. I suppose you’re sniping off the Tools somehow, but I’m not sure how that is equivalent to disabling them. You’ve balanced the effect with a ‘once every three turns’ clause, which feels like you’re just tacking on a clause in attempt to balance an OP effect. In actuality, the core effect is pretty fine by itself, as you can see from Banette ROS.

The fact that you’ve tried to reinvent the humble Peck attack is also a bit strange. You could’ve thought of a different name for that. Balance-wise, it’s nothing particularly unbalanced, but it’s not particularly interesting either.

Hyper Wing is also weird, and not only because it has a [L] Energy in it’s attack cost. You’ve got two strange drawbacks for a 80 damage effect. If you just had a single Energy discard, then sure, I get it, but this is a bit overkill. Even then, 160 damage tops is just very high for a Fearow - it’s not necessarily unbalanced, just unbelievable; you could’ve probably dropped it down to 120 and kept an Energy discard.

Wording errors:
- You’re missing the ‘é’ in Pokémon. x6 (-3.5pts)
- ‘Tool cards’ should be ‘Pokémon Tool cards’ (-1pt)
- ‘Bench’ and ‘Ability’ should be capitalised (-1.5pts)
- ‘cards’ should not be capitalised (-1pt)
- “(Don’t apply Weakness or Resistance for Benched Pokemon)” should be italicised. (-1pt)
- ‘one’ should be ‘1’ (-1pt)
- There should be a period (.) after “...to one of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon.” (-1pt)
- You say “all Pokemon in play” and then clarify to say just “your opponent’s Bench.” Rather, you should have just said “your opponent’s Benched Pokemon”. (-2pts)
- The Ability’s clause should be written as “You can’t use a Sniper Flight Ability more than once every 3 turns.” (-2pts)
- The Ability should be entirely rephrased as “Each Pokemon Tool card attached to your Bench Pokemon has no effect.” (-3pts)

References: “Sniper Flight” - Victini GRI, Banette ROS

(I see where you’re coming from.)
Wording: 0/15
(Many, many, many errors.)
Believability/Playability: 9/15
(A weird card generally, but particularly in the effects.)
Edit penalty: -2pts
Total: 20/50

I think you hit these low numbers most months, Lunar. To being with, you should really start on improving your wording.

Dalton:
Stage 2 Magnezone HP 140 Metal

NO. 638 Magnet Area Pokémon HT: 3'11" WT: 396.8 lbs.

Ability: Magnetic Attraction
As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, prevent all effects of your opponents Attacks, Abilities and Trainer cards that switch your Active Pokémon or one of your Benched Pokémon.

[L][C] Static Charge 80
Attach 2 basic [M] Energy from your Discard pile to this Pokémon.

Weakness: [R] x2 Resistance: [P] -20
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]
Three units generate magnetism. There have been many mistaken reports of UFO sightings when Magnezone flies through the night sky.
Aay, another first timer!

You’ve got some awesome flavour going here, Dalton! Magnetic Attraction is cool in that it’s anti-disruption and returns a bit more control to you, which is neat. Being on a Stage 2, I’d say it’s also quite balanced.

I feel that Static Charge might be doing a bit too much for just two Energy. Low-cost Energy acceleration tends to also have a low base damage. The other thing, though, is the Energy acceleration is a bit weird… since you don’t actually need that Energy that you accelerated for any attacks!

Wording errors:
- ‘opponents’ should have an apostrophe, as ‘opponent’s’. (-1pt)
- ‘Discard’ and ‘Attacks’ should be decapitalised as ‘discard’ and ‘attacks’ respectively. (-1.5pts)
- While Energy is not attached to a Pokemon, it is referred to as an ‘Energy card’. (-1pt)
- The order in which the Ability “Magnetic Attraction” is written is a bit weird. Technically, it would prevent all effects of any Abilities/Attacks/Trainers that switch but may not be affiliated directly with the switch, such as healing. Rather, the effect should be written something like: “...your Active Pokemon, your Pokemon can’t be switched by the effects of your opponent’s attacks, Abilities or Trainer cards. (-2pts)
References: “Static Charge” - Victini XY Promo 189

Creativity/Originality: 16/20
(Nice and flavourful, and exploring some design space.)
Wording: 9.5/15
(Mostly minor errors.)
Believability/Playability: 12/15
(A tad powerful with weird Energy acceleration.)
Total: 37.5/50

Great job, Dalton, for your first time round! Just watch those minor wording errors (perhaps check the Common Wording Errors Compilation) and you should be fine!

Adam Ryder:
Pikachu - Electric - HP60
Basic

Ability: Circumstantial Evolution
If you have both Raichu and Alolan Raichu in your hand, flip a coin. If heads, evolve this Pokémon to Alolan Raichu. If tails, evolve this Pokémon to Raichu.

[L][C] Mascot Mayhem 20+
If the opponent’s active Pokémon is a Basic Pokémon, flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 10 more damage for each [C] in the opponent’s active Pokémon’s retreat cost.

Weakness: [F] x2 Resistance: [M] -20 Retreat Cost: [C]

It occasionally uses an electric shock to recharge a fellow Pikachu that is in a weakened state.

We’ve had a Pichu, and now also a Pikachu!

I’m quite liking that Ability, as it has the potential to be quite fun. The thing is… it’s currently pretty pointless. Why would the purpose be of flipping a coin when you could just choose one or the other (aside from having a bit of fun)? This is a neat idea, but you could’ve done more with it.

On the contrary, I’m not really getting the flavour link between mascots, mayhem, Basic Pokemon and retreat costs. The effect itself doesn’t ‘wow’ me in particular, although it does have a nice spin to it.

Wording errors:
- ‘the opponent’s’ should be ‘your opponent’s’ x2 (-1.5pts)
- ‘active’ and ‘retreat cost’ should be capitalised as ‘Active’ and ‘Retreat Cost’ respectively. (-1.5 pts)
- Instead of ‘evolves’, the correct wording for the XY-era (which your card appears to be based on) is ‘put that card on this Pokémon. (This counts as evolving this Pokémon.)’. For the SM-era, this wording is (thankfully) made less clunkier, as ‘put that card on this Pokemon to evolve it’. x2 (-3pts)
- Technically, from a game design view, you’ll need to force the player to reveal the Alolan Raichu // Raichu in their hand, as technically they could be lying (and the game doesn’t know that). I know that it’s a bit strange, but it’s a necessary precaution. (-2pts)
References: “Circumstantial Evolution” - Rare Candy

(A fun Ability with potential, some weird flavour.)
Wording: 7/15
(A couple of minor and major errors each.)
(That pointless Ability is weird.)
Total: 34/50

Unfortunately you got hit by a couple of big wording errors this month, Adam. However, just read up on your references and develop those ideas a tad more, and you’ll be a force to be reckoned with!

TheSceptileMaster:
Breloom HP 110 Grass Type
Stage 1 Pokémon- Evolves from Shroomish

NO. 286 Mushroom Pokémon HT: 3'11" WT: 86.4 lbs.

Ability: Poison Truffle Scavenger
Once during your turn, before you attack, you may search your deck for a Paras, Shroomish, Foongus or Morelull and show it to your opponent. If you searched for Paras, during your next turn, your Active Pokemon's attacks do 10 more damage. If you searched for Shroomish, you may leave your opponent's Active Pokemon Confused. If you searched for Foongus, you may leave your opponent's Active Pokemon Poisoned. If you searched for Morelull, draw a card. Either way, put the card on the bottom of your deck, and then shuffle your deck.

[G][G] Spore Shot 50
Flip a coin. If heads, and if your opponent's discard pile has any [G] Energy cards in it, discard both Active Pokemon and any cards attached to them.

Weakness: [R] x2 Resistance: [W] -20
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]
Breloom's body is covered in mushrooms, making it very aware of the smell of them, its nostrils detecting very small mushrooms that are miles away

I like the experimenting with the effects that you’ve got going on here. Poison Truffle Scavenger is a flavourful assist and fun sort of Jack-of-All-Trades. With all of those options, it is a bit more powerful than your standard assist, although fortunately - from the balancing perspective - not splashable due to the clunkiness that would occur in running a couple of copies of each ‘mon in your deck. It is a bit of an awkward Ability, however, if say another mushroom-esque Pokemon was to be released.

Spore Shot uses an interesting condition - there being a specific type of card in the discard, however it relating to the opponent’s pile is a bit weird. It also makes the effect fundamentally impractical, even in a gimmicky deck, rendering the effect somewhat useless. I also don’t really get the flavour aspect; the grass-energy-in-discard-pile thing would make more sense if the flavour indicated some sort of growth, but it doesn’t really.

That retreat cost of [C][C][C] seems pretty high for a Breloom, which has had either [C] or [C][C] in the past.

Wording errors:
- The ‘é’ in Pokémon should be accented. x4 (-2.5pts)
- There should be parentheses around “before your attack” as follows: “Once during your turn (before your attack)”. (-1pt)
- In the SM era, you don’t ‘show’ a card - you ‘reveal’ it. Thus, ‘show it to your opponent’ should be ‘reveal it’. (-1pt)
- When referring to a card that has been searched, cards will use “If you revealed a” instead of “If you searched for”. x4 (-2.5pts)
- “Either way,” should be “Then,” in the SM era. (-1pt)
- When referring to the card you revealed at the end of the Ability, you should refer to the card as the “revealed card”. (-1pt)
- In the wording you have currently, the “and then shuffle your deck” clause should be written as a new sentence, that is, as “Then, shuffle your deck.”. (-1pt) However, after incorporating the above wording, the final clause should be written as “Then, put the revealed card on the bottom of your deck and shuffle your deck.”
- When increasing damage, it is necessary to specify in what the buff will occur. That is, “...do 10 more damage” should say “...do 10 more damage to your opponent’s Pokémon”. (-2pts)
- There should be a “(before applying Weakness and Resistance)” clause after “...more damage”. (-2pts)

References: “Poison Truffle Scavenger” - Noctowl BKT, Lilipup SUM

Creativity/Originality: 16.5/20
(Mostly good flavour and some new ideas.)
Wording: 1/15
(Many duplicate minor errors and some major errors.)
Believability/Playability: 12.5/15
(Too-high retreat cost and a impractical attack effect, with a cautious half point lost for the Ability.)
Total: 30/50

Unfortunately the wording really brought this entry down the ladder, TSM, with some fairly simplle mistakes. However, if you make sure to read up on the references, you’ll certainly be a top contender!

mirdo:
Pelipper HP 120 – Water
Stage 1 – Evolves from Wingull

[Poké-POWER]: Power of the flock
If this Pokémon would take damage you may put that damage on a Wingull on your bench instead. If a Wingull is knocked out that way. Put it in the lost zone instead of the discard pile

[W] [C] Around the block
Put 2 Damage counters on 1 of your opponent's Pokémon

[W] [W] [W] Make them Squawk 70
Put 1 damage counter on one of your benched Wingull. If you don't have a Wingull benched you can't use this attack.

Weakness: | Resistance: | Retreat: |
Lightning (x2) | Fighting (-20) | [C] [C] |

I’m quite liking that Ability that you’ve going there, Mirdo! It’s obvious that you’ve used flavour to develop the effect, and it's quite a unique one for that matter. It gets me a little excited, actually - it’s like a pseudo-immunity, and I haven’t really seen anything like it. It also makes good use of the Lost Zone, as a Wingull is goes, it can’t come back. That’s a great method of balancing the effect while also forcing a bit of strategic play in managing resources, which is good design, and so props there.

Around the Block is a nice play on the phrase “around the block”, effect-wise. Make them Squawk has obvious synergy with the Ability in that the both benefit from having Wingull benched, and there’s also some interesting anti-synergy in that the attack increases the chances of your precious Wingull getting KO’d. I probably am a little concerned with the power, however, as 70 damage coming from a Pokemon semi-immune to damage is a tad too high in the HGSS era, even from a Pokemon Prime. I’d say that 40 or 50 damage would be better for balance.

120HP is much too high for a Pelipper, which would have been either 90 or 100HP in this era.

Wording errors:
- Attack names need the appropriate capitalisation. So, “Power of the flock” should be “Power of the Flock”, “Around the block” should be “Around the Block” and “Make them Squawk” should be “Make Them Squawk”. x3 (-2pts)
- “Lost Zone”, “Knocked Out” and “Benched”/”Bench” should each be capitalised. x5 (-3 pts)
- “damage” should not be capitalised. (-1pt)
- ‘one’ should be ‘1’. (-1pt)
- Instead of ‘would take damaged’, the correct wording is ‘would be damaged’. (-1pt)
- ‘that way’ should be ‘in this way’ (-1pt)
- You need to specify who the damage is taken from. That is, there should be a “by attacks” after “damage”. (-2pt)
- You need to have something in the Ability that lets you choose a Wingull. What you have is sorta there, but it needs to be clearer, like: “...would be damaged by attacks, you may choose 1 of your Benched Wingull. If you do, that damage is done to that Pokémon instead.” (-2pts)
- Based off Giratina Lv.X, the second part of the Ability shoud be joined (-1pt) and written as follows: “If a Wingull would be Knocked Out in this way, put that Pokémon and all cards attached to it in the Lost Zone instead of discarding it.” (-2pts).
- The “can’t use this attack” clause of the Make Them Squawk effect should be written as “(This attack does nothing if you don’t have a Wingull on your Bench.)” (-2pts)

References: Name Captilisation - Golurk PLB, “Power of the Flock” - Carracosta NVI, Regigigas Lv.X, Giratina Lv.X, “Make Them Sqauwk” - Infernape Lv.X

Creativity/Originality: 18/20
(A unique Ability that combines design space expertly, with some neat synergy with the attack.)
(Significant major errors and multiple minor errors.)
(Too much HP and a bit unbalanced.)

I don’t normally hand out 18 points for Creativity, so great job there, Mirdo! Unfortunately the wording did get the better of you this round, partially due to the complexity of the effects. However, there were also few minors errors that could have been avoided if you checked a few references, so make sure you do that in future. :)

garchompcrescent:
Gardevoir GX – [P] 200HP

Ability: Turbo Connection

Once during your turn (before you attack) you can put this card from your hand next to your Active Pokémon (this does not count as this Pokémon being in play). As often as you like, during your turn, if this card is next to your active Pokémon, you can discard 1 Pokémon from your bench. Then, either:z

· Discard 3 cards then search your deck for a Pokémon and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

· Discard 1 card then search your deck for a ‘Trainers’ Mail’ and put it into your hand.

· discard 1 card then search your deck for an ‘Acro Bike’ and put it into your hand.

At the end of the turn you put this Pokémon next to your Active Pokémon, put this Pokémon on your bench and knock out your active Pokémon (If you cannot put this Pokémon on your bench, discard this Pokémon). If your active Pokémon is not a Pokémon-EX or Pokémon-GX, your opponent takes one more prize card. Then, at the end of each of your opponent’s turns, if they did not knock out one of your Pokémon that turn, they take a prize card. You can only use one ‘Turbo Connection’ ability per game.

[C] [C] Destructive Connection: 20+

Discard all your benched Pokémon. This attack does 20 more damage for every 5 cards in your discard Pile.

[B ][C] [C] Apocalyptic Connection GX

Discard cards from the top of your deck until you have 10 cards left in your deck (if you have 10 or less cards in your deck, you can’t use this attack). Then, put as many ‘Gardevoir GX’ from your discard pile on your bench as possible. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)
[/B]
W: [P] x2 R: [F] -20 Ret: [C][C]

To be frank, this card seems to be very unnecessarily complicated and convoluted. I had to read the Ability multiple times to actually get it, and even then, it’s just got a bunch of unnecessary parts to it. All this “placing next to your Active Pokemon” is pretty much redundant considering you put Gardevoir-GX on your Bench at the end of your turn anyway. Then, you need to discard a Benched Pokemon to activate the effect, and then discard a bunch more cards depending on the effect you choose.Those effects aren’t particularly great either; they’re already very narrow, and can all be achieved in much more feasible ways. Being able to use the effect as often as you’d like doesn’t change much either, considering you’d probably only want to use the effect maybe 2 or 3 times (if the other penalties didn’t exist). Then, once you’re done, you have to Knock Out your Active for a cost of 2 Prize Cards. Honestly, this Ability is extremely unplayable and probably have a number of rules just to clarify the effect.

It’s obvious from the other two effects that you’re quite keen on discarding stuff. The cost of using both effects are quite extravagant, with the discarding all your Bench and then discarding all your deck. Even then, counting your discard pile isn’t a exactly a practical effect. I also haven’t heard of a [B ] Energy before.

Unfortunately, this card is just plain confusing, convoluted and unplayable, mashing up a ton of random ideas until you’ve got a barely recognisable effect. The Turbo Connection is just a more complicated deck-searcher, Destructive Connection is a more complicated Vespiquen AOR and Apocalyptic Connection is a more complicated Cradily PLB. Honestly, this card design would have been so much better if you just went simple.

Wording errors:
There are 15 instances where you lack the correct capitalisation for the words such as “Bench”, “Active”, “Prize”, “Knocked Out”, etc. x15 (-8pts)
Lack of commas and periods around phrases such as “before your attack” and “Then, search”. x4 (-2.5pts)
‘One’ should be ‘1’. x3 (-2pts)
Weird typo in the ‘z’. (-1pt)
‘Can’ should be ‘may’. x3 (-2pts)
‘(before you attack)’ should say ‘(before your attack)’ and be italicised. (-1pt)

And that’s 15 points already. There’s a lot of errors here; there’s incorrect grammar, there’s a lot of necessary clarification missing, there’s a lot of effects structured incorrectly. In future, make sure you have time to proofread and reference.

Creativity/Originality: 11/20
(It’s different, but all it does is complicate known effects until they’re pretty much unrecognisable.)
(Many, many, many errors.)
Believability/Playability: 2/15
(Over-the-top, confusing, unplayable. This card will never be printed.)
Edit penalty: -2pts
Total: 11/50

As I said, garchomp, try cutting things down in future. Don’t go so over-the-top, and make sure you proofread.

Vracken:
Hoothoot – Normal – HP60
Basic Pokémon

Ability: Aerial Respondent
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is on your bench, you may discard a card from your hand named Hoothoot or Noctowl. If you do, search your deck for an Energy card and attach it to this Pokemon. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[C] [C] Feathered Drop 20x
This attack does 20 damage times the number of cards discarded by each player this turn.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)

Its powerful eyes allow it to locate food clearly even through the darkest night.
NO. 163 Owl Pokémon HT: 2’04’’ WT: 46.7 lbs.

Aerial Respondent is quite a neat effect and really uses the flavour well. I haven’t really seen Energy acceleration involving discarding a Pokemon like this, so nice going. I can’t help but wonder why you haven’t opened the ‘respondent’ job to all flying types, which do have the signature [F]-type resistance, so it’s not out of the realm of possibility. Either way, I like it!

Feathered Drop really ties the card together. I really like the synergy that you’ve got going on here between the effects, as the Ability helps fuel the attack quite nicely. The effect is a fresh twist on attacks that do damage based on cards in the discard pile. I am a little concerned about the power levels here, as the right mix of Trainers and Abilities, especially accompanied by Propagation Exeggcute, mean that the attack could fairly easily be hitting 100 damage, which is a bit high for a Hoothoot. Dropping the base-output to 10 would have fixed that up. Otherwise, the card is looking pretty good!

Wording errors:
- “before your attack” should be italicised as “before your attack”. (-1pt)
- “bench” should be capitalised as “Bench”. (-1pt)
- In the SM-era, “Shuffle your deck afterwards” is written as “Then, shuffle your deck.” (-1pt)
- The “you may discard a card from your hand named Hoothoot or Noctowl.” should actually be ordered slightly differently; as “...discard a Hoothoot or Noctowl card from your hand”. ‘Named’ is only ever used once on Axew PLB, and I presume this wording was a result of it being necessary to distinguish between Iris the Supporter and Iris the flower (which could become an Item card in the future). (-1pt)

References: “Aerial Respondent” - Foongus STS, Vikavolt GRI

Creativity/Originality: 18/20
(Flavourful, synergetic and using known effects in very fresh ways.)
(A few minor errors.)
(A bit too high power for a Hoothoot.)
Total: 43/50

Nice going, Vracken! Just make sure you watch that wording in future.

Ninja Penguin:
Stage 2 ~ Evolves from Cascoon Dustox HP 130 Grass

dustox.gif

NO. 269 Poison Moth Pokémon HT: 3'11" WT: 69.7 lbs.

Ability: Resource Gather
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may attach an item card from your hand onto this Pokémon. If this Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from an attack and you attached at least 3 cards in this way, your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Poisoned. Put damage counters equal to the number of item cards attached in this way on that Pokémon between turns.

[G][G][C] Dust Invasion
Discard any Stadium Card in play. For each of your Dustox in play, discard the top card of your opponent's deck.

Weakness: [R] x2 Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C][C]
Dustox often invade cities, to find bright light. Many people will turn off their house lights just to avoid them.

Resource Gather is a very interesting way to Poison your opponent’s Active Pokemon, and I really like the flavourful aspect of it. I also like how the severeness of the poison compounds proportionally with the Item cards attached - that’s a nice twist. However, I’m not too sure if the the Ability is worth the reward, as your opponent can easily remove that Poison that you spent many resources building up by retreating.

Dust Invasion is also nice flavourfully, although it’s nothing particularly special. There’s not really any synergy here with the Ability, as the both work towards different wincons. The fact that the attack doesn’t do damage makes the Ability even weaker, as you’re not even chipping off damage as to steal the KO with the poison. It’s also a bit of an underpowered effect, due to that higher attack cost and the need to have a significant number of Stage 2s in play for it to be effective. Increasing the cards milled per Dustox to 2 would fix this.

Wording errors:
- “item” should be capitalised as “Item”. x2 (-1.5pts)
- You don’t attach a card ‘onto’ a Pokemon, but rather just ‘to’ a Pokemon. (-1pt)
- There should be a ‘have’ between ‘you’ and ‘attached’. (-1pt)
- There should be “a number of” in front of “damage counters equal to”. (-1pt)
- There should be an “instead of 1” after “in this way”. (-1pt)
- As you’re not referring to the Dustox as “Benched Pokemon”, the clause “For each of your Dustox in play” should be written as “For each Dustox you have in play”. (-1pt)

References: “Resource Gather” - Alolan Raticate SUM, Toxapex-GX; “Dust Invasion” - Beedrill EVO

Creativity/Originality: 17/20
(A nice twist in the Ability and great use of flavour.)
Wording: 8.5/15
(A number of minor errors.)
(A bit underpowered and some significant anti-synergy that you won’t ever see on an official card.)
Total: 38.5/50

It looks like you missed the mark this month, NP. Especially watch that wording - you used some of the right references, but it looks like you forgot to check everything thoroughly. :p

Celever:
Dunsparce HP130 Colourless
Basic Pokémon

Ability: Elusive
If you have another Dunsparce in play, you can't play this card.

[C] Graceful Flight 70
Once during your next turn, after you flip any coins for an attack, you may ignore all effects of 1 coin flip and flip that coin again. If your opponent's Active Pokémon is Knocked Out by this attack, you may ignore all results of 2 coin flips and flip those coins again.

[C][C][C] Covert Burrow
Flip 3 coins. If 3 of them are heads, take a prize card.

Weakness: [F]x2
Resistance: None

If spotted, it escapes by burrowing with its tail. It can float just slightly using its wings.
NO. 206 Land Snake Pokémon HT: 4'11" WT: 30.9 lbs

Is that 130HP a typo, or intentional? o_O It seems like it was intentional, looking at your design notes. Dunsparce range between 40 to 60 HP, and if you did the math, 130HP is over 60 and triple 40. Definitely too high.

Elusive is a very amusing Ability effect, which reminds me of the Pokemon Star mechanic of the DP-era. It furthers the impact of the other effects, particularly the Covert Burrow attack, which itself is silly to an extent, but made sillier with Elusive. Fortunately, Covert Burrow doesn’t require the Ability for it to be balanced, as Abilities aren’t effective balancers since they can easily be ‘turned-off’.

Graceful Flight is certainly powerful - I’m not sure why you think it’s not. In fact, any base damage with a fairly vanilla effect above 30 would be considered too powerful. Anyway, the effect is interesting flavourfully, although it’s somewhat overused design space, considering Victini and the Trick Coin Item

Wording errors:
- ‘all effects’ should say ‘all results’ (-1pt)
- ‘prize’ should be capitalised as ‘Prize’ (-1pt)
- For Graceful Flight, you need to specify that the second clause occurs when the Pokemon is Knocked Out due to “damage from” the attack. (-2pt)

References: ‘Graceful Flight’ and ‘Covert Burrow’ - Umbreon-EX

(Some interesting, funny, flavourful effects, with some nice synergy.)
(A few minor errors.)
Believability/Playability: 12/15
(Far too high HP and a powerful attack.)
Total: 40/50

I’m really liking the silliness you’ve got going on here - it’s completely within the silliness that PCL sometimes has, and it made me smile, yay. Just watch that wording!

Blakers:
Luxray – Lightning – HP150
Stage 2 – Evolves from Luxio

NO. 405 Gleam Eyes Pokémon HT: 4’07” WT: 92.6 lbs.

Ability: Gleam Eyes Tracking
When this Pokémon uses an attack, you may choose one of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon. The attack will be used on that Pokémon instead of your opponent’s Active Pokémon.

[L][C][C] Relentless Hunting: 50 damage. If this attack is used on one of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon, this attack does 60 more damage. (Apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-20)
When its eyes gleam gold, it can spot hiding prey--even those taking shelter behind a wall.

I’ve always thought about an Ability like Gleam Eyes Tracking, but interestingly enough, I’ve never actually seen someone bring it into fruition, myself included. I think you did a good job in the wording department, although you missed an important clause.

Relentless Hunting flavourfully experiments with the opportunities provided by the new design space of the Ability, which is neat, and has some obvious synergy. It might be tad too powerful, considering how M Latios-EX had a snipe attack that also dished out 110 damage, although had to discard two Energy. That said, this attack is on a Stage 2 and this is the SM-era, which has experienced some power creep.

Wording errors:
‘one’ should be ‘1’. x2 (-1.5pts)
You’re missing a necessary clarification “(Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon)” clause in the Ability. I know that you’ve got a similar clause in the attack, but a similar clause needs to be in the Ability foremostly. (-2pts)
There should be an “If you do,” before “this attack will be used…”. (-2pts)

(A unique Ability and general experimentation with new design space.)
Wording: 9.5/15
(Mostly major errors.)
Believability/Playability: 14.5/15
(A cautious -0.5 due to power creep.)
Total: 41/50

Neat job, Blakers! Like a few others, just watch the wording.

3rd Place: thegrovylekid’s playful Pichu, with 41.5/50 points.
2nd Place: TheFlyingPidove’s peaceful Poliwag, with 42/50 points.
1st Place: Vracken’s hoppity Hoothoot, with 43/50 points.

Last edited:
@bbninjas @Jabberwock

Thanks a lot for the feedback - all very useful and I agree with you on the points you've raised. As the month went on and I kept glancing back at the card, I noticed things I would change (including the HP and the holosheet, among others). Hopefully the SM holosheet gets released soon but I understand it's incredibly difficult to replicate.

Some seriously good entries in May - funny that @Kavross @Yog @Blui were my 1, 2 & 3 in the fan vote, and these were the next highest scoring in the judging too. Really, really nice work!

See you all for next month's this week's contest! :p

I can't believe I missed those things. I feel like a noob now, lol. I actually had no idea how to write Mirror Move GX and I didn't want to just have it copy a move use against it, though I don't think it would have been that bad. For the Ability, was, I do agree it's not that good on a Stage 2 Pokemon but I think being able to get any Supporter you want each turn gives it some usefulness. I agree with everything else though. Will have to watch out for this next time.

I agree with you that the art is reminiscent of older-era cards, particularly lowercase ex’s. The holosheet also works much better when it doesn’t cover up the Pokémon. As for the dual-type blank, the purple and pink do fade into each other, and the [Y] symbol in the upper-right is not immediately noticeable, with the result that it took me a while to realize the card I was looking at had two types. I think a potential improvement for the blank could be separating the two type icons in the upper-right so that one is right next to the other, with the HP scooted over a bit to the left to make room.

First thing I’ll note is the Ability –– it’s very, very powerful. To be able to more-or-less control what your opponent draws every turn (exception being if all six cards are draw Supporters or other cards your opponent can benefit from, which is unlikely) is borderline broken. It’s better than an Ability that states “Your opponent can’t draw a card at the beginning of their next turn”, but not by much.

Glamour Burst is fine; it’s not worse than X Ball given that it’s on a Stage 2.

Courtly Command is on the confusing side of things for one main reason –– do you get to look at your opponent’s hand before choosing a card to play, or do you choose a card at random? There’s nothing in the text to suggest either way, and yet it could make a significant difference in the power level of the card. I also disagree with some of the wording in the attack, but hey, it’s your era.

[Y]-type W/R is interesting given that [P] is the type that takes dominance in the upper-right. This isn’t something I’d dock points for, but I’m curious as to why you chose to represent only one type’s W/R, and why you chose [Y]?

The symbol isn't very problematic to me, really; what matters more is the official rule in the lower right corner of the illustration, and to a lesser extent, the fading color; it took me a long time to figure out how to make a blank that wasn't just so horribly, horribly tacky and played nicely with color harmonies.
That said, I sadly picked the most inappropriate example to showcase it; purple and pink are too close in the spectrum for the fading to work as it should in other types.

So the ability is too much, then. That's a shame. But then, I heard about and suffered through my share of decks that don't let me do a single move without immediately killing all my pokemon. I'd love to be able to stop that in its tracks by manipulating the opponent's draws. I should have probably required a discarded energy or something, though; I do agree it might be a bit too much, even if I think some pokemon merit such an extreme answer.
Also, it's funny you mention that "no-drawing" power, since I was thinking of something like that as a future possibility not long ago.

Courtly command probably requires many more clauses than I was able to put in there; don't forget that the ability originally let you look at your opponent's hand; I probably removed that clause thinking that if you already know what they have on their hand and what they drew, you can make an informed decision without me telling you that you may look at the hand.
Overall, I still like the idea of messing with your opponent's strategy; let them be the frustrated ones once in a while, but I probably overshot it this time.

I decided to not make double weaknesses for double types; I'd like to make an environment where weakness has less importance than it does now, both in VCG and TCG; I've found that you're all too often worrying and strategizing around weaknesses (and my VCG team being 5/6ths fairy type and 3/6ths ice type doesn't help at all) on either side; to be honest, I'd rather use a 1.5 multiplier, or the integer DPPT weaknesses; I loved when pokemon only risked 10, 20 or 30 more damage if you turned out to be weak (since it also makes HPs last more no matter what).
That also answers why I used the fairy weakness and resistence for a psychic type, incidentally; I like to switch the W-R and the type, occassionally, so any possible decks you make have more diversity in what you're weak to. Using a, say, fairy type deck makes it so you're weak to steel most of the time, but if those pokemon have varied weakness due to their secondary types (even if they're not dual-type) helps you to not fall into the bad luck of going against a deck with an insurmontable type advantage, without forcing you to diversify the deck with other species or types just to be covered in that front.

Okay, now I'm worried about my primarina. If I overshot it this time and you don't like counters, I can't imagine how low that judgement will be, with the crazy things I put in there.

The symbol isn't very problematic to me, really; what matters more is the official rule in the lower right corner of the illustration, and to a lesser extent, the fading color; it took me a long time to figure out how to make a blank that wasn't just so horribly, horribly tacky and played nicely with color harmonies.
That said, I sadly picked the most inappropriate example to showcase it; purple and pink are too close in the spectrum for the fading to work as it should in other types.

So the ability is too much, then. That's a shame. But then, I heard about and suffered through my share of decks that don't let me do a single move without immediately killing all my pokemon. I'd love to be able to stop that in its tracks by manipulating the opponent's draws. I should have probably required a discarded energy or something, though; I do agree it might be a bit too much, even if I think some pokemon merit such an extreme answer.
Also, it's funny you mention that "no-drawing" power, since I was thinking of something like that as a future possibility not long ago.

Courtly command probably requires many more clauses than I was able to put in there; don't forget that the ability originally let you look at your opponent's hand; I probably removed that clause thinking that if you already know what they have on their hand and what they drew, you can make an informed decision without me telling you that you may look at the hand.
Overall, I still like the idea of messing with your opponent's strategy; let them be the frustrated ones once in a while, but I probably overshot it this time.

I decided to not make double weaknesses for double types; I'd like to make an environment where weakness has less importance than it does now, both in VCG and TCG; I've found that you're all too often worrying and strategizing around weaknesses (and my VCG team being 5/6ths fairy type and 3/6ths ice type doesn't help at all) on either side; to be honest, I'd rather use a 1.5 multiplier, or the integer DPPT weaknesses; I loved when pokemon only risked 10, 20 or 30 more damage if you turned out to be weak (since it also makes HPs last more no matter what).
That also answers why I used the fairy weakness and resistence for a psychic type, incidentally; I like to switch the W-R and the type, occassionally, so any possible decks you make have more diversity in what you're weak to. Using a, say, fairy type deck makes it so you're weak to steel most of the time, but if those pokemon have varied weakness due to their secondary types (even if they're not dual-type) helps you to not fall into the bad luck of going against a deck with an insurmontable type advantage, without forcing you to diversify the deck with other species or types just to be covered in that front.

Okay, now I'm worried about my primarina. If I overshot it this time and you don't like counters, I can't imagine how low that judgement will be, with the crazy things I put in there.

I agree with you on the weakness thing. I was going to make my Pidgeot-GX have a +20 weakness so it doesn't get nuked but with how things are judged, it would have lost points since it wasn't x2 and looking at how I lost a point for giving it 250 and not 240 health, I didn't want to risk it. ( I don't need help losing point, lol!)

Last edited:
@bbninjas
The ability of my card is based around a mechanic I have been working on. Originally it was supposed to be used with EX type cards (specifically cards you might run as a four of, but not want to use them all), but I figured I could adapt it here. In reality it should probably be on an evolved Pokemon, rather than a basic in this situation, but as I have stated in previous entries, I like my choices, so here you make the choice - Is it worth it to discard early resources that you can try to get back later to power up your attacks this turn, or would you rather play more Pokemon to your bench/evolve in order to maintain presence, and prepare for future turns manual attachments.
Finally, it could not be tied to flying types as there is no flying type in the TCG.

@bbninjas
The ability of my card is based around a mechanic I have been working on. Originally it was supposed to be used with EX type cards (specifically cards you might run as a four of, but not want to use them all), but I figured I could adapt it here. In reality it should probably be on an evolved Pokemon, rather than a basic in this situation, but as I have stated in previous entries, I like my choices, so here you make the choice - Is it worth it to discard early resources that you can try to get back later to power up your attacks this turn, or would you rather play more Pokemon to your bench/evolve in order to maintain presence, and prepare for future turns manual attachments.
The thing is with Pokemon such as Propogation Exeggcute, the cost of discarding cards is significantly minimised, since you can just recycle Exeggcute. There's also cards such as Herdier SUM, Dragonite-EX EVO, Starmie EVO (especially) and Milotic PRC that can exploit this sort of attack by retrieving discarded resources. You've then got cards such as Wishiwashi SUM, Volcanion-EX, Unown AOR, Ninjask ROS and Crawdaunt PRC that give you free discards from the Ability, plus the sheer number of popular Trainers (e.g. Sycamore, Ultra Ball) that require discards With 2 Starmie EVO and 2 Volcanion-EX (which is a fairly realistic setup), plus a use of Hoothoot's Ability, you're already doing 100 damage. If you've got a Sycamore, you're probably doing at least 60 more. Plus 40 more for each Ultra Ball that you use. Adding the appropriate damage modifers takes that ouput to above 200, and all on a lil' Hoothoot. It's a neat effect, but just a little flawed in that the drawback can be minimised meaning that it can be exploited in a well-built deck.

Finally, it could not be tied to flying types as there is no flying type in the TCG.
You're right, however the TCG actually have an interesting way to define Pokemon as 'Flying type'. Take a look at Rufflet DRX:

[C] Chirp: Search your deck for 2 Pokémon with [F] Resistance, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.​

Pretty much all Flying-type Pokemon, even if the card is not [C]-type, will have a [F] Resistance. This does include all Ghost-types, however; although you could choose to go with [L]-type weakness instead, as all Colorless birds - plus some others, such as Honchkrow - will exclusively have this weakness.

I get what you mean, but in doing so you are still denying yourself other opportunities for retrieving other resources. I was worried about sycamore when I made it, that was the big concern card, but I still felt it was ok. The problem was 10x was too low for what I was trying to achieve imo. Wish we had 15 and round down, but I figured I would lose marks for using a non multiple of 10.
Furthermore, I feel additional wording like that is unnecessary busy working. I am not interested in work arounds for things like that, it detracts from the currently accepted working mechanics and card types while also being prone to things that don't work out such as the example you used. Just because they use it doesn't mean it is a good idea, but I digress

*sigh*
I knew I messed up from the moment I clicked the submit button, but I just wanted to be able to take part this month, as I'd missed the dropout deadline. I guarantee that this month's card will be creative, simple and worded well. All I need to do is learn from my mistakes :). Congratulations to the winners and good luck to everyone this month.

Everyone did so well this time around, glad to hear the tips about my card. Congrats WastedSkyPirate for winning this month, your Butterfree was amazing! It was a joy to see everyone's entries! Hope everyone enjoyed this month!

Back