PokéBeach Create-A-Card March 2013! Congratulations PMJ and Teal!

RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card March 2013!

Castform (Rainy Form)
[W] 70 HP
Ability- Weather Catastrophe
If you have a Castform (Sunny Form) and Castform (Hail Form), you may use this ability. Do 100 damage all Pokémon in play, and then discard all Castforms in play (Both yours and your opponent’s). You may only use one Weather Catastrophe ability per game.
[W][W] Weather Ball- 40+
This attack does 20 more damage for each Castform in play (Both yours and your opponent's).
Weakness- [L]
Resistance-
Retreat- [C]

Hegafire0 said:
Castform (Rainy Form)
[W] 70 HP
If you have a Castform (Sunny Form) and Castform (Hail Form), you may use this ability. Do 100 damage all Pokémon in play, and then discard all Castforms in play (Both yours and your opponent’s). You may only use one Weather Catastrophe ability per game.
[W][W] Weather Ball- 40+
This attack does 20 more damage for each Castform in play (Both yours and your opponent's).

Might wanna add weakness, resistance, and retreat cost

Sigh...
UAPLASMASBKYUREM_zps4e841d2d.png

This isn't your regular Plasma Pokémon.
Some of you might remember my [link=http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/103/0/7/galactic__s_rotom_ua__by_deltablanknite-d4w21c0.png]evil[/link] [link=http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/101/9/6/magma__s_slugma_ua__by_deltablanknite-d4vuu94.png]team[/link] [link=http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/101/2/c/rocket__s_sneasel_ua__by_deltablanknite-d4vus71.png]cards[/link] from early 2012. After making the first batch, I thought about making each Team focus in a different kind of strategy. I ended up with these:

• Rocket: Red and Black motif. Team Rocket Pokémon don't actually follow a pattern;
  • Magma: Brown and Red motif. Team Magma focus on discarding (milling) its opponent's cards;
  • Aqua: Blue and White motif. Team Aqua focus on spreading indirect damage;
  • Galactic: Yellow motif. Galactic's use the Lost Zone to their favor;
  • Plasma: Green motif. I came up with these before the layout of Plasma Pokémon came out. That's why I picked green instead of blue, and why, instead of using a 'React Energy', Plasma Pokémon now focus in manipulating and taking advantage of Special Conditions.

Also, to put all cards in the same 'class', I made so that every evil team's Pokémon is a 'Corrupted Pokémon', such as how both GL and FB Pokémon were classified 'SP Pokémon'. That way, I can make other cards interact with a specific group (say, Team Rocket's Pokémon) or all of them in general (Corrupted Pokémon).

About the attack, I just realized that someone could use Reuniclus' Ability to let Kyurem with 10 HP, use its attack, and KO all opponent's Pokémon with Flygon. Not sure how balanced that would be it, since it's pretty difficult to have 2 Stage 2 mons on the field. I'd love to see what you guys think about that.

All in all, this month's contest was pretty fun to participate in. I think I did good job.

And that's the cutoff! I only had 4 DNFs out of 21 submissions this month around (about the same as last month, which is good).
I'll probably get around to judging the entries sometime within the next few days, today if I'm lucky.

Can't wait!!! Probably did about the same as last time, maybe lower...

Just finished judging the image-based portion. I should have the text-based portion judged sometime soon today as well, so hang tight.

Without going into the judging details and all, I am really happy about the Pokemon represented here! There's only 1 duplicate - Lapras (once in each category) - all the other Pokemon here appear exactly once. I'm loving it!

Image-Based:

AquaticWartortle:

swampertplasmapokebeach.png

And suddenly, Team Plasma's Swampert. I know the art looks a little familiar - Swampert ex from some old set I forget the name of. First off, it has an Ability that triggers whenever the opponent uses a (non-static) Ability, granting its next attack 40 more damage. Its second attack can do between 60 and 140 damage at base, depending on the flips, which could increase to 100-180 after the Landslide. The W/R, RC, and HP are exactly what you'd expect on a Swampert.

What's off about this card? Unfortunately, it's fairly obvious...it looks messy. The fonts are correct and consistent, but the size and the alignment are off - this is most evident on the "Evolves from Marshtomp" and the "Pressure Pump" text (seriously, what happened?). The picture also looks a bit low quality, not sure why that is, and the Pokedex text isn't italicized, among other things (like the attack and ability text should be aligned as justify, not center). I really do like this card, but it could use some touching up.

Creativity/Originality: 18/20
Wording: 15/15
Fonts and Placement: 7/10
Believability/Playability: 5/5
Total: 45/50

Arcticwhite:

2rfq4v5.jpg

A Pokemon LEGEND? WHOA, haven't seen one of those in a long while. LEGEND has been one of my favorite in the series as far as art goes, probably because they have 2 cards' worth of space to draw a whole canvas, and thus have opportunity for a lot of visual effects and stuff. And I noticed you put your name in kanji in the illustrator section...or is that kanji completely unrelated? Okay, time to piece this card apart. 160 HP...and you only take 1 prize off it, which is correct as it's just 1 Pokemon. The Poke-Power Tidal Wave increases its power for damage on it (is it for the next turn, or permanently?), and its lone attack does 120 (or maybe more on a good flip) for WWC.

First impression: this card is beautiful and OP at the same time. WWC for 120 is fine by itself, and +10 damage per counter is fine by itself, but put it together and...well, you have an OHKO machine with a lot of HP and you only take 1 prize off of. This only hurts it in the 'Believability' category though; as far as the rest of the card goes, it's positively stunning. (Although, since LEGEND are HGSS-era cards, you should probably say 'Liquater LEGEND' instead of 'this Pokemon' - that change came about in BW.) Good job!

I just noticed that the CAC set symbol is missing on the card. Did you run out of room? They would go at the bottom right of each card...which, when turned 90 degrees that way, changes to the bottom left of each card, appearing sideways.

Creativity/Originality: 19/20
Wording: 14/15
Fonts and Placement: 10/10
Believability/Playability: 3/5
Total: 46/50

Bazinga001:

16bf1p5.jpg

Articuno GL, huh? Brings back memories of the DP days and random SP basics with random attacks. First off, you have a variant of Fly, except the effects (good and bad) only kick in after 2 heads or tails - so 25-50-25% chances. Not bad. And the second attack is a 50x flip-until-tails. Pretty reasonable.

...As far as aesthetics on your card go, the transparency on both Articuno and Candice is incomplete (notice the white outline around each one? That shouldn't be there in complete transparency), and none of the fonts are correct. I have this odd feeling you made this card on Paint. If you want to get the fonts right and stuff, you'll want to use a problem where you can pick your fonts (and handle transparency) better, such as GIMP or Photoshop. Good try in the contest for a first attempt, though, I will give you that.

Fonts and Placement: 7/10
Total: 44/50

Blui:

kyogre__prime__by_blui129-d5wkqph.png

That is one sexy Kyogre. Okay, first off it has built-in acceleration for itself (a Basic W Energy? Oops! Basic should be lowercase!), coupled with healing, once per turn. Its second attack - which can be used as early as turn 1 with a DCE in hand - does 40, but you can scrap 3 from the hand and do 50 to the whole bench. Truly, it is a Rancorous Wave. And it has 150 HP. That is scary beautiful.

I wish to touch it. I'm not sure what much else I can say on it; all I can really do is let the grade speak for me, as I have inadequate words to describe how I feel about this Kyogre.

Creativity/Originality: 20/20
Believability/Playability: 4/5
Total: 48/50

CorinthiansRose:

laprasexstar_zpsff44665d.png

It's weird shifting from Blui's Kyogre Prime straight to your shiny Lapras EX (yes, I judge in alphabetical order). It looks so weirdly...plain. But I do like shiny Lapras. Let's see, for WW I can do 40 and burn, and for WWC I can do 80 plus a 20 spread. 140 HP, and I'll take 2 prizes off of it.

The fonts look a little inconsistent - the font for the HP number and the Wave Crash look different than that used in the rest of the card. As far as wording issues go, Pokémon is missing its accent (try Alt+0233, or C/P from Character Map), Benched is not capitalized, and the W&R/bench clause is missing. Overall it's a solid card, yes, but...other than Lapras being shiny and that very creative texture pattern I notice in the background, there isn't much else that catches the eye. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to stop staring at that texture pattern of yours. It's hypnotic.

Fonts and Placement: 8/10
Believability/Playability: 4/5

Delta Nite:

UAPLASMASBKYUREM_zps4e841d2d.png

You appear to be using a unique Plasma-themed blank here, and it looks good. The Plasma shield behind it is all holo and everything. And here represented is a big baddie, Black Kyurem...with two very interesting abilities indeed. First off, its Ability lets it function as a nice bench-sitter, locking up Items as long as the opponent's Active Pokemon is Paralyzed. Can't Switch out of it or anything. I'd love to run this in some deck one day. The second attack really draws some attention, and requires it to either be active for a while or do some self-inflicting damage. It knocks down the HP of all opponents until they're even with it...which, if it's within an inch of its own life, makes its enemies feel the same!

The interesting picture does not intrigue me as much as the ability and attack used on the card - concepts like that are something I do not see often, and I am pleased. The only suggestion I'd really make to improve it is put a clause saying that the attack doesn't affect opponents that already have less remaining HP than this Pokemon, but other than that...it's marvelous.

Total: 49/50

Nekoban Ryo:

corsola_card_by_karite_kita_neko-d5xv2lo.png

Corsola! It's adorable! I wish to touch it! It's like I'm staring into a tide pool. Okay, let's see, Pokemon Power. ...Does that work when attaching Energy from anywhere, or only the hand? because it sounds like anywhere right now and wow that's strong. Second attack is pretty nifty, gaining power based on Energy moved - although the question does remain about what you're going to do with that Energy later.

It's a Neo card, so prettiful. The Pokemon Power wording debacle is the only real suggestion I have to correct a potential error on the card, but otherwise...I wish to hug it.

PMJ:

Ny6QS98.png

And one right after the other, here's another card having to deal with Fighting Energy - Piloswine! Piloswine is cool guy; eh rams stuff and doesn't afraid of anything. Plus I really want to meet who made that Origami Piloswine; that's very impressive. (If that turns out to be just CGI I'm going to be sad.) Toughen Up is, finally, some Fighting acceleration, and directly from the deck no less, which is very helpful as Fighting tends to suffer from energy drought. And Revenge is just an epic troll in case it decides to go the way of the attacker. This evolution line tends to leave a lot of destruction in its wake.

Well done on the wording again, and the choice of picture. I've kinda come to expect this from your fakes by now, so I don't have much else to say. Then again, that might be because I'm lazy and don't put much effort into thinking of things to say.

Total: 50/50

Text-Based:

AlexanderTheAwesome:

Lapras 130 HP [W]
Basic
Ability: Hydration
Once during your turn, before you attack, you may put a basic [W] energy card from your discard pile into your hand.

[W] Ice Fin - 40
Discard a [W] energy attached to this Pokemon

Weakness: Metal
Resistance: --
Retreat: [C]

The second Lapras of the bunch. And just looking at it right now, I believe I can safely say that I see what you did there. Good solid attack that keeps refueling itself potentially endlessly, although it doesn't leave much to power up other attackers. But hey, a couple Lapras and Water Energy could probably be teched into most decks safely. Like, say, 2 of each?

Only issue I have is minor wording fixes, like (before your attack) instead of before you attack, and Energy being capitalized. I think you may have caught onto my grading scale and acted accordingly. Nicely done.

Believability/Playability: 14/15
Total: 47/50

Bo$$_89:

[W]Arceus EX 180 HP
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Multitype
When you attach a basic energy card from your hand to this Pokemon, you may use this ability. Search your deck for a Pokemon named Arceus EX, and put it on your bench. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

[W] [W] [W] Hydro Crash 80
Flip a coin. If heads, discard an energy attached to one of your opponents Pokemon. If tails, discard an energy attached to one of your Pokemon.

Weakness: None
Resistance: None
Retreat: [C] [C]

Oh my, Arceus EX, in Water variation this time. The Ability is...well, crazy good, and gets better with stuff like Blastoise. Attach 3 with Deluge, search for THREE Arceus EX and bench them? Hoboy. Attack is nice and interesting, with a real risk factor involved with using it.

I see some capitalization mistakes (Energy, Ability, Bench etc) and the phrase 'reveal it' missing in the ability, but as far as wording goes I think it's fine. From a power standpoint, though, I can't speak for that very well...

Believability/Playability: 13/15

Hegafire0:

Castform (Rainy Form)
[W] 70 HP
[W][W] Weather Ball- 40+
Weakness- [L]
Resistance-
Retreat- [C]

...I think the only thing I can say about this is the following:
It's a nuke just waiting to happen.
Love Castform, though, by the way.

Wording: 13/15
Believability/Playability: 11/15

Hydro Cannon:

[W] Finneon 50 HP
Basic Pokemon

PokePower: "Lights Guidance": Once during your turn, before you attack, you may search your deck for any basic [W] Pokemon. You may not use Lights Guidance more than once a turn

[C] Tail Slap 10

Finneon. Definitely not a choice of Pokemon I would have expected to see in the contest, but here it is, a Water-type, ready to be given attention. Attack is lolbasic, and the Poke-Power is nice, but I have a question...After I search my deck, what happens next? Does the Pokemon get benched or does it go in my hand? I don't know if there's much else I can say beyond that, other than the usual "wording is a tiny bit off". And for Poke-Powers, the wording is "You can't use more than 1 Lights Guidance Poke-Power each turn".

Creativity/Originality: 17/20
Believability/Playability: 15/15

Keeper of Night:

Vaporeon EX HP 110 {W}
Stage 1 (evolves from Eevee)

Ability: Hydration
At any time between turns you may remove all special conditions from this pokemon.

{C} {C} Acid Armor 20
During your opponents next turn, all damage done to this pokemon is reduced by 90.
If there is a Stadium in play with 'Gym' in it's name, this attack does nothing.

{W} {C} Baton Pass 20
Switch this pokemon with one of your benched pokemon. During your opponents next turn your new active pokemon cannot be affected by any attacks or special conditions.

{W} {W} {C} {C} Surf 80+
You may discard all energy attatched to this pokemon, if you do this attack does 60 more damage.

W: {L} x2 R: __ Retreat: {C}
"When Eevee was exposed to a Water Stone, it evolved into Vaporeon. It's molecular structure allows it to become almost invisible when swimming."

...an ability and 3 attacks. ...what. Okay, let's give this a looking over. First, immunity to Special Conditions, pretty much. Next up you have CC for 20 and a whopping 90 damage reduction, unless there's a Gym stadium in play. Then WC for 20 plus a Switch and auto-Agility for the replacement. And finally, WWCC for 80 plus a potential 60 if you scrap everything.

It's like you specifically made this card to counter the current format and everything in it. You might have been able to win this with an Eeveelution, if you weren't so over the top with your attacks loading up. By the way, I am a big stickler for wording, including capitalization and everything, so you kinda suffered in that category too.

Wording: 12/15
Believability/Playability: 9/15
Total: 39/50

MountainDrew:

Magikarp HP 30 Water (Team Plasma)
Basic
Ability Anger Management
If your opponent's Pokemon is Knocked Out by damage from an attack of this Pokemon, you win the game.
{W},{C} Flail Around 10x
Flip a coin until you get tails. This attack does 10 damage times the number of heads.

Weakness- {L} x2
Resistence- {none}
Retreat- {C}

"It is considered the weakest pokemon in the world by many people."

Magikarp? Really? Magikarp? There must be a catch here. There's ALWAYS a catch-oh, there it is. If it scores a knockout, you win. Its attack is meager, a WC for a 10x flip-until-tails. Although, scoring the Anger Management KO is probably easier than you think - it's about as simple as timing a laser. It would go great in Eels. Bolt Strike a 130 HP Basic, drop the Karp right away, W from hand, Dynamotor, Fliptini. If my Eelbox wasn't deconstructed, I'd totally use this.

I doubt they'd make a card with a win condition this easy to fulfill, but I do think we need more fun win conditions. Lost World was so awesome; we need more cards like Lost World.

Believability/Playability: 13/15
Total: 46/50

PellOfTheTundra:

Palkia-EX HP 180 (W)
[Basic] [TEAM PLASMA]

[Ability] Distorted Space- Once per turn, you may return any Pokémon (excluding Palkia-EX) and all cards attached to it from your side of the field to your hand. If you do, attach all Energy attached to that Pokémon to Palkia-EX. Then, discard one Energy attached to Palkia-EX.

{W}{P} Antimatter 20x - For each Pokémon on your bench that does not have energy attached to it, this attack does 20 damage.

{W}{P}{C}{C} Plasma Ripple - Discard 1 {P} Energy and 1 {W} Energy, or this attack does nothing. This attack does 80 to one of your opponent's Pokémon (don't apply weakness or resistance for benched Pokémon). If Palkia-EX has any Plasma Energy attached to it, your opponent cannot play Supporters on their next turn.

Weakness- {L} x2
Resistance- {none}
Retreat- {C}{C}{C}

Pokémon-EX Rule:
When a Pokémon-EX has been knocked out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

You know, just reading this over, after looking over several of the previous entries, this one is actually exciting and non-bland. I feel good about this one. First off, Ability. It returns 1 of your Pokemon back to your hand, then attaches its Energy to Palkia, who drops off 1 Energy after that. First attack, plays into the Ability. 20 times Energyless Pokemon. Second attack, reminiscent of Palkia G LV.X's Hydro Shot, but with an added bonus of locking Supporters, maybe.

I'd say this card gets an auto-win in the creativity category; it's absolutely fantastic there. Only thing I'd say it doesn't do well in is the wording, so I'll go over bit by bit and advise where it should be fixed. As for the Ability, I'd have it worded so that you move the Energy to Palkia-EX, and THEN return it to your hand, because otherwise game state gets weird. Antimatter would be "Does 20 damage for each of your Benched Pokémon that has no Energy attached to it." Lastly, Plasma Ripple should say it's discarding Energy "attached to this Pokémon", and the last effect would be "your opponent can't play any Supporter cards from his or her hand during his or her next turn". I love your card and it's definitely one of my favorites for the contest.

Believability/Playability: 14/15

Suitcune:

Ludicolo EX HP 150 {W}
Stage 2 (Evolves from Lombre)

Ability: Dizzy Dances
Once during your turn, (before you attack), you may flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokemon is now confused.

Move 1
{W}{C}
Boogie and Break 30+
Does 20 damage for each water energy attached to Ludicolo EX. Heal 30 damage from Ludicolo EX.

Move 2:
{W}{W}{C}
Shakin’ Surf 80
Discard a water energy from Ludicolo EX. Does 30 damage to one of your opponents benched Pokemon (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon)

Retreat: {C}{C}{C}
Weakness: {E} x2
Resistance: None

Pokemon-EX Rule:
When a Pokemon-EX has been knocked out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

No.272
Height: 4'11" (1.5 m)
Weight: 121.3 lbs. (55.0 kg)

“Festive music causes it to dance, stimulating its muscles and making this Pokemon stronger.”

And much flavor text was had! Here comes the awesome dancer, Ludicolo EX, as festive as ever. Dizzy Dances gives him a 50% shot at confusing his target, Boogie and Break is an altered Secret Sword with healing, and Shakin' Surf is a weaker Night Spear.

I want this card to be real so very badly, but it would make Blastoise decks even more ridiculous. Even so, Ludicolo has a reputation for being above-average in the TCG, and this is no exception. Your card also looks very organized as well, so kudos to you for that.

Teal:

Stage 2 - Kingdra [Plasma] - HP140 - Water
NO. 192 Dragon Pokémon HT: 5'11" WT: 335 Ibs.

[-] Whirlpool 30
You may search your deck for as many basic [W] Energy cards as you like and discard them. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

[W][C] Dive
This attack does 60 damage to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness: Lighting (×2) Resistance: no
Retreat: 0​
It stores energy by sleeping at underwater depths at which no other life forms can survive.​

I am impressed at how you have successfully turned text-based faking into a real art form. You use different text sizes and everything for your flavor text, and have it surround your card in a neat little package. Whirlpool reminds me of Riptide from Feraligatr way back, but also of the more recent Kingdra LA, who shuffles Water Energy back into the deck. But Dive is also a solid option to just smack someone for 60.

It's a Kingdra like Kingdra should be, but it's also so much more than that. It's so...versatile, and pairs well with others of its kind. Great job.

Well then, looks like that's it then. As far as the image-based portion goes, it appears that PMJ has come out on top, garnering the perfect 50 score and seizing victory with Piloswine by the skin of his teeth, although Delta Nite's Plasma's Black Kyurem and Nekoban Ryo's Corsola both came incredibly close with their cards, each scoring 49.

Text-based was a different story altogether. No one got the perfect 50, but Teal came comfortably in first with his Kingdra scoring a 49, and AlexanderTheAwesome, PellOfTheTundra, and Suitcune all tied for second place with their Lapras, Palkia-EX, and Ludicolo-EX respectively.

March has been an interesting month for sure, and I think it's been my favorite one to date! (Then again, I love them all.) April isn't far off, but I bet it'll be just as flashy as this month.

See you all next month/week!

\o/

cool entries all. Hope to make an impact next month ;D

Congrats PMJ and Teal! :D

DNA said:
Okay, let's see, Pokemon Power. ...Does that work when attaching Energy from anywhere, or only the hand? because it sounds like anywhere right now and wow that's strong. Second attack is pretty nifty, gaining power based on Energy moved - although the question does remain about what you're going to do with that Energy later.

Yes, it works for attaching Energy from anywhere, including from Benched Pokémon, so it can remove a lot of damage counters from your Pokémon when combined with its attack. The attack can also be incredibly strong if played right and could easily take down a Charizard. That may seem incredibly strong, but this card does have a drawback. All those Fighting Energy you moved to Corsola? Completely useless after this turn. Unless you have an effect that can move them to another Pokémon, those energy are as good as gone.

DNA said:
I really want to meet who made that Origami Piloswine; that's very impressive. (If that turns out to be just CGI I'm going to be sad.)

Origami refers to paper folding. This is a papercraft (you print a template, cut out the pieces, fold them, and glue them together).

Yay!
I still regret forgetting to submit last month. My Herdier... ;_;
Nekoban Ryo said:
Yes, it works for attaching Energy from anywhere, including from Benched Pokémon, so it can remove a lot of damage counters from your Pokémon when combined with its attack. The attack can also be incredibly strong if played right and could easily take down a Charizard. That may seem incredibly strong, but this card does have a drawback. All those Fighting Energy you moved to Corsola? Completely useless after this turn. Unless you have an effect that can move them to another Pokémon, those energy are as good as gone.
Nope! If your Corsola is not knocked out during your opponent's turn, you just need to retreat it and attack with another Corsola.

Next month, just make Herdier δ. Problem solved. :]

Nah, I'm making cards that combo with current-format cards and thus fit into the era.

Edit:
Look at this beast:
122-stoutland.jpg

and now look at this

ghetsis-fa.jpg

Who WOULDN'T want to play this deck?!

Teal said:
Nope! If your Corsola is not knocked out during your opponent's turn, you just need to retreat it and attack with another Corsola.

Oh dear! I didn't even consider having another copy of the card (even though I made 2 versions with the same power/attack). *fail*

I should have stuck with the original plan and made it a Shining Corsola (1 per deck rule).

I'll think harder about next month's submission, if I participate.

I don't know, but you came pretty darn close.

Damn, I knew that was going to be more errors after I "corrected it".

I figured out how broken it was about a week after making and then I thought "Well, there's always next month :p"
Congrats to everyone else though, it was great seeing all this variety this time round where other rounds a lot of the entries were similar.

See y'all soon!

Castform pretty much is just a nuke waiting to happen. It's useful when you know you're going to lose, and you just decide to knock out all Pokemon on both teams. Sudden death, anyone?

Hegafire0 said:
Castform pretty much is just a nuke waiting to happen. It's useful when you know you're going to lose, and you just decide to knock out all Pokemon on both teams. Sudden death, anyone?

Self-DestructButtonDR2-EN-C-UE.jpg

Hmm... I searched your post for a clue and found... Flashy. Electric???
I'm going to try really hard next time to improve on my wording, and I have a few ideas... Can't wait!

Back