PokéBeach Create-A-Card February 2013! Grats to Delta Nite, DXM147, and Zarco!

RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card February 2013!

I had more DNFs than last month, but I also had more submissions this month (15 finished out of 20, as opposed to 14 out of 15 in January), so I guess it worked out!

Image-Based:

Arcticwhite:

vdldnl.jpg

First up to the plate, it seems, is the enigmatic therian Thundurus-EX. Indeed, since it's Flying-type, it can pass for a Colorless Pokemon, although that doesn't mean much for him, given how he uses Lightning Energy to attack. He appears to have an ability on trigger: Pressure, which, up until you say otherwise, grants him +50 to all his attacks, which makes for a DCE for 70 (or even 90) on the first attack, and LLC for 130 on the second, but then it deactivates Pressure permanently.

The only really truly awkward bit about this card is the wording for Pressure. I can see how it'd work, but it wouldn't be worded like that. I could see "Once during a game on your turn, you may use this Ability. Each of this Pokemon's attacks does 50 more damage (before applying Weakness and Resistance) until this Pokemon uses Thunder Bolt" or something like that. The font for the attack damage is also a teensy bit off, but not by much. Overall, I would say this is a beautifully done card, and just like last month you seem to have no shortage of ideas - but I'd look at actual card scans so you can get the wording a little better :p

Creativity/Originality: 19/20
Wording: 12/15
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
Believability/Playability: 5/5
Total: 45/50

Blui129:

regigigas_ex_by_blui129-d5tk0xw.png

:eek: ! An attempt to stroke my ego! Although I have always found that particular artwork of Regigigas to be very awkward. Now, it does not look special on first glance, but looking closer reveals that it's totally cool. You have EXtreme Smash (lol) that hits a Pokemon-EX T1 for 60 damage, and given the plentiful EX starts these days, that's quite useful. For 3 Energy you can do 70 and drop off an Energy (which screws up a lot of decks and could potentially be Hammertime's best friend), and for 4 you can unleash your Regi-Destruction, stampeding for tons of damage. Already I want to see what you have planned for Regirock/ice/steel fakes!

There are only 2 complaints I have about this card, and both of them are extremely small. First, there's a comma missing in the first attack before "this attack does nothing", and second, in Regi-Destruction, you mentioned the Regis in the wrong order, unlike this dude. But overall, I loved your card and found it fantastic, and that's not just because I have a soft spot for the Regis!

Creativity/Originality: 18/20
Wording: 15/15
Fonts and Placement: 10/10
Total: 48/50

CorinthiansRose:

opulwolfcard_zps304d6c95.png

Ooh, a Fakemon! I don't think I've seen one of those yet. Let's see here. First off it's got a Pokemon Power that prevents your opponent with messing with Energy cards on your field, which, in the world of Energy Removal, is always a nice thing to have. Its attack is also really nice, being capable of doing 70 or more damage fairly easily for only 3 energy. And it even comes with flavor text at the bottom! I can see this Pokemon moving like a blizzard, slowly chipping away at your opponent while limiting their visibility.

I do like what Opulwolf here can do, but the font and its placing are a little off; for example, the text for the Pokemon Power should start on the same line as the name of the power (and doesn't that look a little bigger than it should?), and the Pokedex entry looks a teeny bit blurred, at least to me. As far as wording, Frozen Body should probably say 'discard or move' instead of 'remove or replace', and 'Active' and 'Benched' need to be capitalized. For Ice Storm, I'd break the heads/tails bit into 2 separate sentences, and also insert the 'no W&R to bench' clause, since it's missing. But aside from that...I like it a lot. More so for the Pokemon Power than the attack, but the attack is still nice.

Wording: 13/15
Fonts and Placement: 8/10
Total: 44/50

Delta Nite:

PZcpia_zps8d2c5eaf.png

Porygon-Z Prime! The Death Duck returns again with a whole new slew of toys, designed to impress us, and it does not fail to disappoint. First thing I notice is that the PZ has the 'in-your-face' style that is common to all Pokemon Prime cards, which fits nicely. Its Poke-Power removes itself from the field, but treats every coin flip as heads. (Although, if it were me, I'd have it so you can choose the result of the flip, since the flip-until-tails attacks would never end, and attacks like Bench Manipulation would play against you.) Then, you have a 2-turn OHKO to serve as its two attacks...although Eviolite kinda screws that up. Still, for only 1 Energy, that's nice.

I know the art is kinda plain (and you forgot the O in Porygon2), although I did see you explain the reasoning behind both of those. I don't blame you - good P-Z artwork is in such short supply these days! And the name of the Poke-Power makes me smile as well, though for true manipulation, you want the heads to stop exactly when you say so :p All in all, I like this card!

Creativity/Originality: 20/20
Total: 50/50

DXM147:

crystal_type_steelix_e_reader_fake_by_dxm147-d5u8e6d.png

Oooooooooooooh!! Crystal Steelix! ...this already looks amazing...I feel like I'm going to be biased, but I'm going to try not to be! First off is the staple Crystal Type Poke-Body, which changes Steelix's type to 1 of 3 things based on an Energy attachment. Then after that, you have two very similar attacks which do different things for similar costs...as Crystal Pokemon commonly have.

...I...I have absolutely no comments I can make about this card. It's effectively perfect. It's beautiful and scary at the same time.

PMJ:

X5UoYBe.png

Another classic PMJ work coming my way! This time it's Fearow, a rather under-appreciated bird with a lot of untapped potential. Its first attack reminds me quite a lot of Mightyena from Legends Awakened and its Harass attack, although Fearow locks up ALL of the opponent's Pokemon-EX. And Scavenge is reminiscent of Banette ex, which gained power from Supporters...but in your discard pile, not the opponent's, as Fearow does. Interesting twists on some old cards!

I'd have to say my favorite part about looking at your cards is the art you choose and the Pokedex entries you write. Taking what already exists and putting nice spins on them is what I really look forward to when I see your fakes, and this Fearow here is no exception. Great job!

Total: 49/50

Text-Based:

AlexandertheAwesome:

Granbull Stage 1 130 HP
[Evolves from Snubbul]

Ability: Tilted Head
As long as this Pokemon is in play all of your Pokemon EX give up only one prize card instead of two and all of your non EX Pokemon give up two prize cards instead of one.

{C}{C}{C} Crunch: 130
Discard a Basic Energy attached to the Defending Pokemon.

Retreat: {C}{C}{C}
Weakness: {F} x2
Resistance: ---

Flavor Text: Despite its large size it is extremely timid and will only bite things in self defense

Granbull. A very interesting choice, to be sure. Not something often thought of. Analyzing the specs, it's got 130 HP on a Stage 1 (reasonable), and an extremely unusual Ability...your regular Pokemon give up 2 prizes, and your Pokemon-EX give up 1. Wow. That is freaky. And to prevent it from being a bench sitter, it has an attack that does 130 damage for 3 Energy, plus it discards a basic Energy card on the target.

...Upon first glance, this card is...well...it's ridiculously OP! It's more so crazy because of its attack - 3 Energy for 130 damage, discards a basic Energy on the target, with absolutely no drawback...and it's COLORLESS Energy even! Not even Pokemon-EX are that overbearing. Tilted Head is an interesting idea, which can play against you (kill ALL the Granbull), but most likely it'll just cause you to be ridiculous with EX walling. I just...This card is really powerful, yes, but in a bad way.

Believability/Playability: 8/15
Total: 39/50

Bo$$_89:

Lugia - Colorless - HP130
Basic (Team Plasma)

Ability: Plasma Storm
If this Pokemon is your active Pokemon and has a Plasma Energy attached to it, you may use this ability. Shuffle your hand into your deck. Draw a number of cards equal to the amount of Benched Team Plasma Pokemon.

[C][C] Outrage: 20 Damage. Does 20 damage plus 10 damage times the number of damage counters on this Pokemon.
[C][C][C] Plasma Shield: 80 Damage. Flip a coin. If heads, during your opponents next turn, your Benched Pokemon can't be damaged by attacks.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 1

A Plasma Lugia that isn't EX. Ooh, this is interesting. First off is the Ability (Plasma Storm! icwatudidthar), which really seems to be the bread-and-butter of this card. It's like a lesser Achroma, letting you hand-refresh for the number of benched Plasma Pokemon in play (it's once per turn, right?), if you have a Plasma Energy attached. Its first attack is your classic Outrage, which I don't need to explain, and its second does 80 damage, a fair amount, and can protect your Bench possibly.

I think this is one of my favorite entries for the text-based round, really. The only thing that's off to me is the wording, which - although not fully incorrect - follows the Japanese wording for cards closer than the English wording, but in no way does that detract from the card. Oh, and I'm assuming the Ability is missing the clause 'Once during your turn (before your attack)'. I actually wish this was a real card so I could use it. It's so amazing that it could probably jump into the current format seamlessly.

Wording: 14/15
Believability/Playability: 15/15
Total: 47/50

Flygon2071:

Gligar --- Colorless --- 80 HP

Ability: Siege
None of this Pokemon's attack's damage is affected by any effect on the Defending Pokemon.

{C} Air Slash 20
Discard a Pokemon Tool attached to the Defending Pokemon.

{C}{C}{C} Poison Fang 50
The Defending Pokemon is now Poisoned. Put 2 damage counters instead of 1 on that Pokemon between turns.

Weakness {W}
Resistance {F}
Retraet Cost {C}{C}

Gligar! Well, it's part-Flying type, so it works. It comes with an Ability that is basically tantamount to Mold Breaker, though it applies both Weakness and Resistance in this case. Its first attack does 20 and discards a tool attached (after damage, I see), and its second attack does 50 + Toxic.

Siege is worded differently than it should be here (go check out Rampardos from Platinum), and the rest is what you'd expect on a Basic Pokemon like this. I'm not sure what else I can say as nothing really stands out as interesting, but it's definitely passable as a card so no complaints here.

Creativity/Originality: 16/20
Total: 44/50

Hegafire0:

Basic
Arceus EX
HP 180 {C}
Team Plasma

Ability- Multitype
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may change Arceus' type to that of an energy attached to it.

{C}{C}{C} Energy Onflow- 60
Attach an energy card from your discard pile to one of your benched Pokemon.

{C}{C}{C}{C} Energy Redirection- 80
During your opponent's next turn, they cannot attach an energy card from his or her hand to any of their Pokemon. During your next turn, you may attach 2 energy cards from your hand to your Pokemon. Arceus cannot use Energy Redirection on your next turn.

Weakness-
Resistance-
Retreat- {C}{C}{C}

Pokemon-EX rule- When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 prize cards.

And now Arceus, the effective king of the colorless types, takes the stage, as (fittingly) a 180 HP Pokemon-EX. Multitype makes a return in its Ability, which lets it change its type once per turn (heck, with Prism Energy, this becomes unlimited). The rest of its attacks revolve similarly around Energy - Energy Onflow yanks one from the discard to the bench, while Energy Redirection denies your opponent's energy attachment and gives it to you, every other turn.

I...wow. Aside from wording stuff, like capitalization and different words used and whatnot, I...love this card. It looks and feels just like something I would design; it's beautiful. It's something that's relatively self-sufficient but not overpowered, and its attacks and abilities have wonderful synergy with each other. I love it.

Wording: 14/15

Hydro Cannon:

[C] Arceus EX 190 HP
Basic

PokeBody: Eternal Power: Once during your turn, before you attack, you may attach a basic energy card from your hand to Arceus EX. Arceus EX now becomes the same type as the energy attached until the end of your opponents turn. If you attached 2 basic energy cards to Arceus EX in the same turn, place 2 damage counters on Arceus EX. Arceus EX is now the same type as the energies attached.

[C][C][C] Judgment 70+: If the defending Pokemon has any resistances, this attack does 20 more damage.

[C][C][C][C][C] Everlasting Punishment 180: Discard 3 energies attached to Arceus EX or this attack does nothing. Arceus EX may not use Everlasting Punishment on your next turn

Retreat: [C][C][C]
Resistace: ---
Weakness: 2x [F]

The Pokemon-EX rule: When this Pokemon is knocked out, your opponent takes 2 prize cards instead of 1.

Aw, and I just looked at Hegafire's! That will make it a tricky act to follow. As with the last one, it has an Ability based on Energy, but it's a little more complicated, and more closely follows the Crystal Type effect, although it can give Arceus up to 2 types in this case. Its first attack is pretty basic, doing 70 for 3, or 90 if the target has a resistance, which most do. (And given Arceus' versatility, it could hit for a OHKO on EXs.) And the second attack is just an outright nuke in case you can't get the weakness in.

I think what really draws me to this card more than anything else is the Ability, in conjunction with the first attack. As long as Basic Energy cards are in the hand, you can keep changing Arceus' type to whatever, and its Colorless cost means you can use pretty much anything. Cards like Cilan can come in handy, since Arceus also comes with a built-in accel. The second attack is a good panic button, but given the usefulness of the first attack (and the fact it costs FIVE energy), I feel it gets overshadowed. Still, it's nice to have.

Total: 47/50

Keeper of Night:

Zangoose HP 110
Team Plasma Pokemon
Basic

Ability: Bestest
If there is any Seviper in play, this pokemon's attack do 20 more damage.

Ability: Sharp Glare
Once during your turn, if this pokemon is your active pokemon and your opponent has more than 2 Pokemon EX in play, you may use this ability. If you do your turn ends. Your opponent cannot use any attacks, abilities, or Item cards during his or her next turn. You may not use any Sharp Glare ability suring your next turn.

[C] [C] [C] Fury Swipes 40x
Flip a coin until you get Tails. This attack does 40 damage times the number of heads.

W: [F] R: __ Retreat: [C] [C]
Ht: 4' 3'' Wt: 88.8 lbs.
"It has always fought with Seviper. It uses it's sharp claws to defend it's territory."

...Lol.

Believability/Playability: 14/15
Total: 45/50

MountainDrew:

Furret 110 HP Stage one
Ability Breaking the Law- As long as Furret is in play you can evolve your pokemon as often as you want even when you just played them down.
{C},{C} Round 40x,This attack does 40 damage for each pokemon in play with the attack Round.

Weakness- Fighting
Resistence- None
Retreat Cost- {C}

Furret, another unusual contender. Less unusual than the Granbull, but more so than the Zangoose, as far as species chosen. Let's give it a look-see. ...haha! Love the ability name there; that's just what BTS is. And the second attack is Round for 40x, which isn't bad at all!

It's a bit of a simple card, but I do like the look of it. But that's about all I can say about it, though...The wording on both of them is off, given how both BTS and Round are on existing cards already.

Creativity/Originality: 17/20
Believability/Playability: 14/15
Total: 43/50

The Fire Wyrm:

Ditto EX (Team Plasma's Pokèmon) Basic Pokèmon HP-110 {C}

Ability: Camouflage
If this Pokèmon has a Plasma energy attached to it, all basic energy in play now provides every type of energy but only provide one type of energy at a time.

Ability: Replicate
This Pokèmon can use the attacks of any Pokèmon in play (If it has the required energy cost)

Pokèmon EX rule: when this Pokèmon is knocked out, your opponent takes two prize cards.

Weakness: None
Resistance: None
Retreat Cost: {C}{C}

OMGLOL DITTO EX. Seriously, this is glorious. If Ditto has a Plasma energy attached, all basic Energy in play, on both sides, are basically treated as Rainbow Energy; they provide every type of Energy but only provide 1 type of Energy at a time. That, of course, feeds right into its other Ability, Replicate, which is the same as Mew EX's Versatile, but hey, that's what you'd expect on a Ditto, right?

This is one of those cards that really jumps out at me as being unusual, as if to say 'Hey, look who I am and what I can do!', and that's definitely what Ditto does here - a lot. Goes well into the Plasma archetype as well, can steal a lot of attacks, and even though it only has 110 HP on an EX, it partially compensates for that by having no weakness. Brilliant!

Zarco:

{C} Pidgeot 130 HP
Evolves from Pidgeotto

Ability: Hurricane Force
Once during your turn (before you attack), you may shuffle 2 cards from your hand into your deck. If you do, your opponent can't play any Item cards from his or her hand during his or her next turn. You can't use more than 1 Hurricane Force Ability per turn.

{C}{C} Grappling Claws 60
The Defending Pokemon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn.

Weakness: L
Resistance: F -30
Retreat:

I love Pidgeot. It's the only natively Colorless Pokemon to have made my top 10 list (at #10), excluding obviously Regigigas (at #1), but this bird has a special place in my heart. I hope you don't disappoint. This actually looks like something pretty old-school, like in the DP format, although at the same time not quite - I like the -30 resistance. Hurricane Force will item-lock the opponent at the cost of performing some "Maintenance" on your hand, and its attack does a nice clean 60 and blocks retreat.

...It's like everything a bird of prey aspires to be! Not only does it prevent its quarry from escaping, it also cuts off help from items afar off, to ensure its hunt goes uninterrupted (a nice middle finger to Switch, and there aren't many of those nowadays). And the wording is...*sniff*...absolutely perfect...

I'm not sure if I was a softie in judging this month around, but we now have our winners!
For image-based, I got to give two of the contenders the perfect 50/50 score - Delta Nite and DXM147, you have absolutely wowed me with your Porygon-Z Prime and Crystal Steelix respectively; congratulations to the both of you! Kudos also to PMJ and Blui129, who came not far behind with 49 and 48 points respectively.
As for text-based, there was no shortage of variety there, either - and there was even a 50/50 there as well; Zarco with his Pidgeot takes the prize there! I had a much harder time judging the text-based one as there were a lot of people who inspired me and came close, but I must tip my fedora to both Hegafire0 and The Fire Wyrm, who each scored a cool 49 points.

With that, February's Create-A-Card is finally concluded, and not much too soon, either! By this time tomorrow, I will have March's Create-A-Card launched and ready to go! Hopefully, the new entries for next month won't pull me in completely. (Speaking of which, someone remind me tomorrow to write it up.)

See you in a couple days next month!

Ouch, close contest there. Great work everyone! I thought everything was original.
And DNA, my ego stroking didn't work as we can see

Can't wait till next month for another fantastic competition!

EDIT: Oh yeah DNA I have made a Regirock EX for unseen wonders. I realized how broken it would be with the Regigigas and Scramble Switch.

Aa, I forgot because I got killed in both WW:s so I haven't really been checking out PB. I would have made a Herdier.

Yay! Definitely did better than last time, will focus on improving the wording, though. I also didn't know you could submit Fakémon, so I might submit one of mine...

one pointtttttttttttttttttttt *shakes fist*

Anyway, great job, everyone; can't wait to see what next month's prompt will be.

@Blui129: Hey, it almost worked! You came pretty darn close, and hey, I do love Regigigas.

@PMJ: As with last month, I left a hint in the scoring post about what next month's prompt will be. (I'll probably do that every month.)

Oh right. Looks like we're gonna be doing a Psychic-type next month :eek:

Even in judging....DNA only uses one word to speak with me. :(
But yeah, the wording kinda sucked, I know. I forgot to fix it, but whatever.
Congrats to the winners! :)

I said nothing, but either way the entries would go in the new topic, not this one.

This was fun. I had an idea for Ditto but I had already posted mine. It was suppose to only have 1 ability:

Transform:
If this is your active Pokemon, copy the Defending Pokemon name, type, weakness, resistance, attack cost, retreat cost, HP and any other effect on the defending Pokemon.

It would be transform exactly. Maybe a bit OP but I wouldn't be surprised if it was done.

You'd probably not get very many points on wording, though.

I was so close... I didn't actually know that Benched and Active were capitalized. It was pretty good for my first make card... ever.

And since I'm posting... DNA, can you go to my thread and judge some of my cards? No one really noticed my thread at all.

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=112574

Awesome =) Thanks!
The -30 resistance was actually a screw-up I think, but I'm not sure... past me worked in ways I don't understand. It doesn't make a huge difference in the end, I guess...

Back