PokéBeach Create-A-Card December 2013! Lemonnade and Zygarde are victorious!

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
t6vxn8.png

(credit to Xous for the banner because he's a boss like that)​

With 2013 now upon us, a whole new year, PokéBeach Create-a-Card comes back in a whole new incarnation! There will be 12 parts to this contest, one for each month of the year, and it will go over all types represented in the TCG!

So what's left for December? We've hit pretty much every time, so what is there remaining? Nothing...and everything. To finish off the year, I will let you guys have free reign: you are not bound to any one type of Pokemon; you can make your fake whatever you want! This will allow all of you free reign to pick the Pokemon you really want to make into a card, and show off your faking skills. But will you be able to pick just one thing out of the infinity of options before you, or will all the choices only serve to overwhelm you? Only time will tell! Just remember that the grading rubric hasn't changed, so don't go too crazy...!

~~~

There are two categories for this contest - text-based and image-based. Text-based entails you write up only the words present on the card, not the imagery - but don't forget anything; you need to supply all the words your card needs. Image-based means you have to create the entire card - images, flavor text, and all; appearances thus become quite important.

Since sign-ups fill up really fast for this contest, you're only allowed to sign up for image- or text-based, not both. You may sign up when you please, but all entries are due Wednesday, December 25th, 11.30pm, Pacific Time (GMT-8). Make sure your entry is in the thread by then! If I have seen your entry, I will put an asterisk (*) next to your name on the sign-up list. If you feel like you need to drop, do so ASAP so someone else may have your spot. (I know this due date is earlier than normal, as they usually fall on a Sunday, but this is to give ample time for grading, and I feel that Christmas Day is a good day for the deadline.)

If you're entering the image-based portion of the category, your card will require a set symbol to be on it - specifically, this set symbol, to be placed in the lower-right hand corner, where set symbols usually go (or right below the picture, if working on Classic/Neo blanks, for example). Credits go to our wonderful resident fake card artist [member]Nekoban Ryo[/member] for designing this lovely logo! Here is an alternate version of the same logo.

Regardless of which category you are in, you want to make sure you get everything right for your card the first time around. Edits to cards are generally discouraged, and if you do edit your cards, they must be minor. You are allowed to edit your cards slightly after they've been submitted, but keep this in mind: if you make any edits to your card after submission, your final score will be reduced by 2 points, no exceptions. This includes editing your existing post (for any reason) or re-posting a submission in a later post. If you want feedback before the grading, ask other people - friends, contestants, whatever - and look at existing cards to make sure you're doing it right. Don't do this hastily and go back and fix it later - remember, you have a whole month to do this.

Here's the point breakdown...

--------
Text-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    We're all tired of effect-less attacks. Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based fakes is the creativity of Power/Body/Ability/attack effects. Let's see something cool!
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is also key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose; from Classic and Neo to EX, DP, and BW, wording has changed a lot, so be careful! Spelling is also taken into consideration.
    Total: 15 points
    ---
  3. Believability/Playability
    Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.

--------
Image-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    This should be a given. With the proper tools, let your imagination run wild! This can involve new gameplay mechanics, blanks, etc.
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is also key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose; from Classic and Neo to EX, DP, and BW, wording has changed a lot, so be careful! Spelling is also taken into consideration.
    ---
  3. Fonts and Placement
    Correct fonts are imperative when creating realistic fakes. Placement isn't quite as important, so long as the fonts/symbols/etc. are in the correct general area.
    Total: 10 points
    ---
  4. Believability/Playability
    Because this division of the contest is so image-heavy, the believability and playability takes a backseat here. However, it's still worth a portion of the total points, so try to keep it in the realm of believable! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.
    Total: 5 points

There you have it. Point breakdown is a little different in text-based versus image-based fakes, simply because there is such a visual shift in image-based fakes. DNA will be judging the text-based portion of the contest, while CMP will be judging the image-based one.

As with any fake card, please be sure that when using others' artwork, you have explicit permission to use it (as per forum rules). Because the amount of effort needed to put into judging this competition, spots are limited. A total of 30 entries will be allowed for both categories combined (not 30 each, 30 total - and don't pay attention to the 15-cap; if more people sign up the chart will get tweaked). Spaces fill up really fast, so sign up quick!

Try and have fun with this contest. Show off the talent that we have here at the 'Beach!

Deadline: Wednesday, December 25th, 11.30pm, Pacific Time (GMT-8).

--------
Anticipated Participants
--------
[td] Image-Based:
  1. anabel1406 *
  2. Arcticwhite *
  3. Bazinga001 (dnf)
  4. bigfootaus *
  5. Blui *
  6. Heavenly Spoon *
  7. Mora *
  8. Nod3 *
  9. Nekoban Ryo *
  10. PMJ *
  11. RealArity *
  12. RedArceus *
  13. Xous *
  14. Zygarde *
[/td][td] Text-Based:
  1. 47bennyg * (-2)
  2. AlexanderTheAwesome *
  3. Chronus MSEA (dnf)
  4. Delta *
  5. Eagle4 *
  6. Four Arms *
  7. Keeper of Night *
  8. Lemonnade *
  9. Lord Fletchling *
  10. Luispipe8 *
  11. Lvl 100 Bidoof *
  12. Reggie McGigas *
  13. Serperior * (-2)
  14. Teal *
  15. ToxiBerny * (-2)
[/td]

Best of luck to all of you!

--------
Hall of Fame
--------
To see who did well in past months, look here!
Image-Based Winners:
  1. January: [member]Delta Nite[/member]
  2. February: [member]Delta Nite[/member], [member]DXM147[/member]
  3. March: [member]PMJ[/member]
  4. April: [member]Blui[/member]
  5. May: [member]PMJ[/member]
  6. June: [member]Nekoban Ryo[/member]
  7. July: [member]Delta Nite[/member]
  8. August: [member]Delta Nite[/member]
  9. September: [member]PMJ[/member]
  10. October: [member]Nod3[/member], [member]PMJ[/member]
  11. November: [member]Nekoban Ryo[/member]
  12. December: [member]Zygarde[/member]
Image-Based Runners-Up:
  1. January: [member]PMJ[/member], [member]theducktamer[/member]
  2. February: [member]PMJ[/member]
  3. March: [member]Delta Nite[/member], [member]Nekoban Ryo[/member]
  4. April: [member]Delta Nite[/member]
  5. May: [member]Blui[/member]
  6. June: [member]Blui[/member], [member]Delta Nite[/member], [member]Nod3[/member]
  7. July: [member]PMJ[/member]
  8. August: [member]RedArceus[/member]
  9. September: [member]Delta Nite[/member]
  10. October: [member]Blui[/member]
  11. November: [member]Blui[/member]
  12. December: [member]RedArceus[/member], [member]Xous[/member]
Text-Based Winners:
  1. January: [member]Teal[/member]
  2. February: [member]Zarco[/member]
  3. March: [member]Teal[/member]
  4. April: [member]AlexanderTheAwesome[/member], [member]Fraxureking[/member]
  5. May: [member]Lemonnade[/member], [member]Teal[/member], [member]Zarco[/member]
  6. June: [member]Hegafire0[/member]
  7. July: [member]Teal[/member], [member]Zarco[/member]
  8. August: [member]Eagle4[/member]
  9. September: [member]Teal[/member]
  10. October: [member]Teal[/member]
  11. November: [member]Four Arms[/member], [member]Luispipe8[/member]
  12. December: [member]Lemonnade[/member]
Text-Based Runners-Up:
  1. January: [member]Bippa[/member], [member]Hydro Cannon[/member], [member]Keeper of Night[/member]
  2. February: [member]Hegafire0[/member], [member]The Fire Wyrm[/member]
  3. March: [member]AlexanderTheAwesome[/member], [member]PellOfTheTundra[/member], [member]Suitcune[/member]
  4. April: [member]Delta[/member], [member]The Fire Wyrm[/member]
  5. May: [member]AlexanderTheAwesome[/member], [member]Flygon2071[/member], [member]Machamp the Champion[/member]
  6. June: [member]Teal[/member]
  7. July: [member]AlexanderTheAwesome[/member], [member]Lemonnade[/member]
  8. August: [member]Hegafire0[/member]
  9. September: [member]Chronus MSEA[/member], [member]Lvl 100 Bidoof[/member], [member]Reggie McGigas[/member]
  10. October: [member]Four Arms[/member], [member]Lemonnade[/member], [member]Lvl 100 Bidoof[/member]
  11. November: [member]Fraxureking[/member], [member]Lemonnade[/member], [member]Teal[/member]
  12. December: [member]Four Arms[/member]

RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card December 2013!

Joining text. I may not win, but I'm going to have fun with this one.

Go for image.

In for image-based please! ^_^

in for text

i promise i'll meet the deadline!

In for text! Time to bring Teal's reign of terror to an end once and for all!!! :p Nah, just kidding, but I'll try to do as well as last month.

Holy Rainbowfire

[Basic]
[Stage 2] Chandelure R // HP 130 [RAINBOW]
rainbowfire_chandelure_by_xshojirox-d4vj23e.gif

xshrojirox

For what will probably be my last contest entry for quite some time; image-based, please.

Hmm, this is going to be fun...
Text based please.

Everyone is in as of Lemonnade's post.

Reggie McGigas said:
Holy Rainbowfire

[Basic]

xshrojirox
That's your entry? That's...kinda weak for an official submission, don't you think? Worse still, if you edit that post to fix it, I would have to dock you for editing...

Image pls. And this time, I'm actually going to do a real entry, the one I would've done with last month's.

In for image. I'm not going to post it right away this time, so we'll see how that works out. Although I might still try being first...

DNA said:
Everyone is in as of Lemonnade's post.

Reggie McGigas said:
Holy Rainbowfire

[Basic]

xshrojirox
That's your entry? That's...kinda weak for an official submission, don't you think? Worse still, if you edit that post to fix it, I would have to dock you for editing...
I accidentally hit post instead of save as draft. I will delete said post and drop out then of text based....which means I'm switching over to image basedjk, I'm only good at text so trying out image would be pointless.

Darn....can't believe I'm done because I hit the wrong fricking button without realizing it. Well, good luck all and good game

Back