PokéBeach Create-a-Card Competition #2! Congrats dolphinluv2010 and Weihnachtsmann!

Flame Claw

Blue, dressed in black
RE: PokéBeach Create-a-Card Competition #2! Entries due on Wednesday!

I take it it's finished now...? Best of luck, everyone!

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!
RE: PokéBeach Create-a-Card Competition #2! Entries due on Wednesday!

Yep, entries are now closed. Peachy and I will be judging today! Thankfully, without school to worry about, judging won't take nearly as long this time. =)

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!
RE: PokéBeach Create-a-Card Competition #2! Submissions now closed.

Fourteen Twenty-one pages in a word document worth of judging...Bipp (Peachy) and I are done judging, and we're going to discuss things really quick tonight. Expect the winners to be posted later!

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

Text-Based

Fraxureking

Delibird Hp80 {W}
No.225 Delivery Pokémon Ht.2'11″ Wt.35.3lbs

Ability: Hidden Surprise
Once per turn, (Before you attack) you may flip a coin. If it is heads, you and your opponent draw a card. If it is tails, put a damage counter on Delibird and the Defending pokémon.

Attack one: {C} Present
Flip a coin. If it is heads, draw a card. If it is tails, put two damage counters on the Defending pokémon.

Flavour text: Delibird is a red penguin-like Pokémon with a sack-like tail. It has a patch of fluffy feathers on its chest that resembles a beard, and crests on its head.

Weakness: {R} x2
Resistance:{C}-20
Retreat cost:{C}

Creativity: 11/20
Delibird is the first Pokemon that comes to mind when one thinks about Pokemon and Christmas, so I have to say that I was expecting something that wasn't Delibird. While the ability and attack haven't been seen before, they aren't that exciting.

Wording: 10/15
Lots of things wrong here. First of all, because HP is an abbreviation (standing for Heart Points), both the H and the P need to be capitalized. Hidden Surprise is missing the phrase (Your opponent draws first). In the ability’s text, as well as the attack’s effect, Pokémon needs to be capitalized. The phrase “before you attack” doesn’t require a capital B.

Believability/Playability: 13/15
You did very well in this category. The one thing that doesn’t sit right with me is the colorless resistance. Delibird takes normal damage from Normal, Flying and Dragon types in the video games. A resistance to fighting (represents ground type) would have been perfect.

Total: 34/50

Weihnachtsmann

Ursaring - HP130 - [C]
Stage 1 - Evolves from Teddiursa

[C][C][C] Protect Young - 30+
Does 30 damage plus 10 damage for each Teddiursa on your bench that has damage counters on it.

[C][C][C][C] Hibernate
Flip 2 coins. For each heads, remove 6 damage counters from this Pokémon. This Pokémon is now asleep.

Weakness: [F]x2 Resistance: n/a Retreat Cost: [C][C]

With its ability to distinguish any aroma, it unfailingly finds all food buried deep underground.

Creativity: 20/20
It’s not an ice type, but a hibernating bear definitely relates to the winter season. Living in Canada, I can say with confidence that messing with a hibernating bear is very dangerous.  The first attack is very fitting of the behaviour of bears as well.

Wording: 15/15
I don’t notice any technical errors. Good job.

Believability/Playability: 15/15
This is an exciting and creative card, and I love that isn’t too overpowered. I’d argue that it’s a bit underpowered, but points can’t be taken off in that respect.

Total: 50/50

squirtli

Delibird 70 HP {W}
Basic Pokémon

{C}{C} Present
Flip 4 coins. For each heads, draw a card. For each tails, your opponent may draw a card.

{W}{C} Naughty or Nice? 20
If the Defending Pokémon tries to attack during your opponent's next turn, your opponent flips a coin. If heads, your opponent may draw a card. If tails, put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: {R}
Resistance: {F}
Retreat Cost: {C}{C}

Creativity: 12/20
It’s a Delibird, which cost you some points. However, the Naughty or Nice? attack is creative enough to gain some of the points back. Presents a nice risk/reward attack, and I don’t think I’ve seen anything like it. So it’s Santa Bird, with Santa attacks. I like it.

I don’t notice any technical errors. Nice work.

Its power level is perfect. Nice work.

Total: 42/45

PMJ

Glaceon - HP100 - [W]
Stage 1 - Evolves from Eevee

Ability: Crystal Missile
Once during your turn, when you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve your Active Pokémon, you may put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent's Pokémon.

[W][W][C] Freezing Beam - 60
If you didn't use Freezing Beam last turn, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

W: [M]+20 / RS: None / RC: [C][C]

By controlling its body heat, it can freeze the atmosphere around it to make a diamond-dust flurry.

Creativity: 16/20
It’s an ice type, which isn’t that exciting for a winter themed card. It’s a cool card, but I don’t find it very exciting.

I didn’t notice any technical errors. Good going.

Your Glaceon is a balanced card. It isn’t overpowered or underpowered. It’s perfect.

Total: 46/50

Umbeosion

Abomasnow EX - HP180 - {W}
Stage 1 - Evolves from Snover

Ability - Unwanted Presents
Once During your turn (before you attack) If this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon you can move 4 damage counters from your Benched Pokemon to your opponent's Pokemon in any way you like.

{G}{W}{W} Constant Blizzard - 80
Does 50 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokemon that already has damage counters on them. The Defending Pokemon is now paralysed.

Pokemon-EX Rule: When Pokemon-EX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize Cards.

Weakness: {M} x2 Resistance: {L} -20
Retreat: {C}{C}

Creativity: 14/20
It’s not a Delibird, but it is an Ice-type that has the added benefits of bringing snow. An EX is different, but it’s difficult to rate without the public knowledge of what evolved EXs are like.

Wording: 5/15
In the ability, during doesn’t need to be capitalized. The same goes with if. Each time you say Pokémon, the E must have the accent. For the EX rule, cards isn’t capitalized.

Everything is nice and fair. As I said above, no one knows how the evolved EXs will operate, but that doesn’t affect your score.

Kam

Chanukah Baltoy - 60 HP - {F}
Basic

{C} Dreidel Spin
Spin a dreidel. If the dreidel lands on Nun (נ), this attack does nothing. If the dreidel lands on Gimel (ג), move all the damage counters on Chanukah Baltoy onto the Defending Pokémon. If the dreidel lands on Hei (ה), move half of the damage counters (rounded up to the nearest 10) on Chanukah Baltoy onto the defending Pokémon. If the dreidel lands on Shin (ש) or Pei (פ), put a damage counter on Chanukah Baltoy.

Weakness: {P}
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: {C}

I’ve never seen anything like this before. It’s very creative and unique, and giving it anything less than a full score would be uncalled for.

Nothing is wrong. Good work.

Believability/Playability: 8/15
Unfortunately, with such creativity often comes a sacrifice. In this case, both believability and playability are sacrificed. Spinning dreidels won’t be done in Pokémon cards any time soon.

Total: 43/50

Image-Based

Squirtli

ex__cd_25___froslass_by_honouguma-d4iaoqz.png

Creativity: 15/20
As you mentioned when you posted it, it’s somewhat lacking in the creativity department. Yes, it’s an Ice-type so it fits the theme, but seems to be at the bear minimum. The attacks are relatively standard as well.

Wording: 12/15
Judging by Houndour (EX TRR 60), I would word the Body “If Froslass has any [P] Energy attached to it, the Retreat Cost for Houndour is 0. Always remember to capitalize Retreat Cost as well. In the attack, you are missing the clause about whether or not to apply W/R (i.e. “ (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.”)

Fonts and Placement: 9/10
Placement looks wonderful! Just for fun, I checked out the placement (to the pixel) of the name and HP and you were right on the money! However, the attack text looks a little off – like you didn’t use 96% width.

Believability: 4.5/5
To be honest, I think 90 HP for Glalie in the EX-era may be just a little too much. It has less base HP than Glalie, and Glalie’s maximum in the EX-era was 80 HP, so I’d expect a Frosslass to be around there. Otherwise, definitely a believable card!

Total: 40.5/50

Charganium

[/img]http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/340/f/6/lapras__beach_contest_entry_by_charganium-d4iddyg.png[/img]

As with Squirtli’s entry, Ice-types (while they fit the theme) are not the most creative choices. I would’ve given you at least another point if Lapras was swimming in a wintry landscape. The attacks are pretty standard for a Lapras card as well.

I don’t think you need the “…choose 1 of your Pokémon” in the Ability, so it should read something like “(before your attack), you may return 1 of your Pokemon and all cards attached to it to your hand. ” In the attack, make sure to always use numeric values instead of spelling them out (“one” should be “1”).

Fonts and Placement: 6/10
I know you don’t use Photoshop, so I can’t take too many points off for this section, but both fonts and placement are off. The fonts look odd, and for the Pokédex info are completely wrong. However, placement needs work as well. Both the Ability and attack eneed to be moved to the left (see Carracosta NV for more correct placement. I’m not sure if you followed a font guide or not, but I compared the card to one of PokéBeach’s scans, and the size of the attack name and damage was larger on the card than the much larger scan.

Believability: 5/5
Can’t complain about this one. Seems pretty realistic to me!

Total: 38/50

Weihnachtsmann

glalie_card_by_47bennyg-d4idqoh.png

Creativity: 18/20
While I’ve mentioned simply using Ice-type wasn’t too creative, I really like the Ability – and it’s very fitting for the theme! I also enjoy the fact that you used your own art. Looks like it could work on a Prime card, actually!

Wording: 14/15
The Ability is worded very similarly to past cards with similar effects (such as Metagross SV, but I would add “(both yours and your opponent’s)” after [G] Pokémon and after [W] Pokémon.

Fonts and Placement: 5/10
Unfortunately, this is where the card falters a bit. Many fonts look off, and sometimes, you aren’t consistent. It’s very noticeable going from the Ability effect to the Tricicle effect text (all effect text should remain constant). Other problems include condensing the card name and much of the text (height/weight info and attack effects) looking too bold.

While the attacks are fantastic and very believable, the BW-era is a land of 60, 70 HP basics. Frillish NV, a basic Pokémon with a lower base HP than Glalie (a Stage 1 Pokémon) has 80 HP, so I would expect a BW-era Glalie to have at least 80 HP, but probably more in the ballpark of 100 HP or so.

Total: 41.5/50

PMJ

http://i42.tinypic.com/23hsigl.png

Good to see a non-Ice-type! What better a Pokémon to use for a Winter-themed competition than the Season Pokémon! Nice attacks; nothing too out of the ordinary but nothing too terribly standard. The Poké-BODY seems useful.

I remember there was some debate about the proper wording for the Body, I think it was decided that the wording was fine (as are the attacks).

This is getting picky, but the spacing of the two lines of Pokédex text seem to be a little too far apart, because as of now it looks too close to the illustrator bar.

#winning

Total: 47/50

RayquazaMaster

sawsbuck_fin_by_rayquazamaster-d4h35q9.png

The Season Pokémon was a good choice for a Winter-themed competition, and I like how you’re incorporating countries into your cards. When I think of Finland (especially northern Finland), I do think of cold, harsh winters, so this was a great choice. To use Finnish for the attacks was also pretty creative.

Wording: 11/15
In BW wording, the name of the Pokémon is never used; “this Pokémon” is used instead. However, I would word it something like: “Each player’s [W] and [C] Pokémon’s attacks do 10 more damage to the Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance). Each player’s [R] Pokémon’s attacks do 10 less damage to the Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).”

Fonts and Placement: 3/10
Fonts are, unfortunately, completely incorrect. Only the Ability name should be red, not the entire card. The card name and HP should both be bold, as should the Ability and attack names and attack damage. Placement is somewhat sloppy – the Energy symbols don’t line up when they are supposed to (attack cost, Weakness).

Believability: 3/5
While a great concept for a competition, I don’t foresee any SP country cards in the near future. Additionally, usually only Pokémon-ex had 2 Weaknesses (to counterbalance their power), and Normal-type Pokémon now longer have a Psychic Resistance in the BW-era.

Total: 37/50

Dolphinluv2010

winterraichu.png

I love how you took a Pokémon which is not Ice-type or in any other way associated with Winter and used it quite effectively! Plus a dual-typed Electric/Ice? You know I’m a sucker for non-TCG types. Power and attack reflect the season well, and I love the Santa hat you added to the Pikachu evocon.

Wording: 14.5/15
Holiday Spark should read “…to your opponent and put it into your hand.” Minor, though.

Fonts and Placement: 10/10
Everything looks pretty good! Really nothing to nitpick here.

I know I mentioned I’m a sucker for non-TCG types, but as much as it boosts creativity is does tend to hurt believability.

Total: 47.5/50

Delta Nite

CONTEST1.png

Delibird seems like an obvious choice, but the art (holding the gift) and attacks make up for it. Using Aki’s glass symbols was a nice touch (and truthfully, look very ice-like). Everyone loves winter break, and the effect is reminiscent of cards like ______’s Pikachu.

The power’s wording seems correct, and the attack’s wording seems logical. Good work!

Fonts and Placement: 8/10
This could very well be a problem with the blank, but still…having the HP not in the silver area by the type symbol looks out of place, and well, strange. It looks like there is enough space for HP. The placement of the Poké-POWER icon seems out of place as well; in the EX-series, the icon would be lined up with/centered on the circles. I understand that these are different kind of blanks, but it just looks slightly off.

If it were real, I’m sure it would receive the “not tournament legal” errata. =) Half a point off just because the attack effect isn’t something that would likely be printed anymore.

Total: 45.5/50

Flame Claw

e_articuno_by_flamingclaw-d4is0zg.png

Again, this card suffers from the “Ice-type = Winter” problem. Not necessarily a problem, but because it occurred with so many cards, I have to take some points off for creativity. Attacks are nice…nothing stands out, but nothing outrageous.

Sometimes simplicity pays off. No errors here!
The two [W] Energy in Eternal Freeze are placed a little too high – bring them down a few more pixels.

Starting in the e-card series, Ice-types had a [M] weakness. Not really a biggie, though. One thing you’re great at Flame Claw, is the ability to make realistic cards. The attack effects are never over-the-top, which adds to your cards’ realism.

Total: 43.5/50

Yakkov

victini_pokemon_card_entry_by_yakkov-d4ivi16.png

Creativity: 17/20
Interesting choice of Pokémon, Yakkov. Never would’ve thought of using Victini. The art is nice, and having a Christmas tree background is fitting for the theme. The Ability and attack match the theme as well! Using your own art is nice, too.

Wording: 7.5/15
The card falters a bit here. Starting with BW, the Pokémon’s name is never used in effects (it’s always “this Pokémon”). Additionally, “Active Pokémon” should always be capitalized. Time To Gather should be worded similarly to “As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, at the beginning of each player’s turn, he or she may draw cards until he or she has 6 card in his or her hand.” Family should be worded “Each player may search his or her deck for as many Basic Pokemon as he or she likes, put them onto his or her Bench, and shuffle his or her deck afterward.” (from Pichu HGSS).

Incorrect fonts and symbols. I believe there is a symbolsheet for asche’s BW blanks which contains the proper symbols. Names of Abilities/attacks should be the same size, as should effects of Abilities/attacks. Consistency is key. =)

Believability: 4/5
A nice draw card which is able to fill the Bench – with the drawback that your opponent gets to do the same. Not too shabby. Not sure the attack should cost [R][R], though.

Total: 33.5/50

Roderick

dewgong_by_rodz89-d4jp56l.png

As I’ve previously stated, while the Ice-type Pokémon for the Winter theme fits, it does so at a minimum. Combined with very standard attacks for a Dewgong, this card is creative but not overly so. I do like the blank, though!

I mean, can’t really mess up a flip-paralysis effect. =)

Fonts and Placement: 9.5/10
Everything seems to be in order, although I’m not a fan of the “Evolves from…” text. Additionally, I don’t think I’ve ever seen “Evolves” not capitalized.

Typical Dewgong.

Total: 44.5/50

Spammy

christmas_regigigas_by_spm3-d4jpx9d.png

Creativity: 21/20
You took a Pokémon that really has nothing to do with Winter and “Chistma-fied” it perfectly. Very well done, and this was honestly exactly the kind of entry I was hoping for! You made great little edits to Regigigas itself, and put it in a festive background. Body/power combo for red/green is also festive. I’m giving you a bonus point for being (in my opinion) the most creative of the image-based entries.

Gentle Giant: “Regigigas can’t attack until it has any damage counters on it.” (basing wording on url=http://pokebeach.com/scans/legends-awakened/15-regigigas.jpg]Regigigas LA[/url]. In the power, I don’t think the part about using the power again is correct. It should be something similar to “During your next turn, this power does 90 damage to the Defending Pokémon.

Everything looks like it checks out, though the Pokémon usually doesn’t come so far out of the image border that it interferes with the body/power/attack text.

Honestly, the body is a great representation of its in-game ability, and I can see the power being real – although it would make much more sense as an attack. However, the real Regigigas has HP around 150, and there have been normal versions of Regigigas with 120 HP, so 110 HP is a little low.

Cris

GrinchsDelibirdcopy-1.png

Creativity: 19/20
Although Delibird on its own wouldn’t get so many points for creativity, the fact you made it the Grinch’s Pokémon gave it some extra points. I love How the Grinch Stole Christmas (just watched it last night, in fact), so well done on the theme!

The power should read “Once during your turn (before your attack)” In the attack, instead of saying “If 1/2 is heads…” you should add “of them” so it reads “If 1/2 of them is/are heads….” See Delibird TRR for an example. Minor issues, really.

Fonts and Placement: 7/10
It looks like you used Gill Sans Condensed Regular instead of Gill Sans Regular for the power/attack effect. The HP and “Illus.” text look off, too.

Half a point off because of Delibird belonging to the Grinch. On its own (or with another owner), the card would seem pretty realistic.

EricDLee

050.png

While this card, too, suffers from the “Ice-type = Winter” syndrome, it has a wonderful illustration to match, as well as a blank with an icy background texture.

Always remember to use numerals instead of spelling numbers out (as in the attack).

Things check out here. Everything looks good to me!

This card would be obnoxious to play against, and I don’t see anything that should cause the card to get points off in this category.

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

Text-Based

Fraxureking

Delibird Hp80 {W}

Once per turn, (Before you attack) you may flip a coin. If it is heads, you and your opponent draw a card. If it is tails, put a damage counter on Delibird and the Defending pokémon.

Flip a coin. If it is heads, draw a card. If it is tails, put two damage counters on the Defending pokémon.

Flavour text: Delibird is a red penguin-like Pokémon with a sack-like tail. It has a patch of fluffy feathers on its chest that resembles a beard, and crests on its head.

Delibird is the first Pokemon that comes to mind when one thinks about Pokemon and Christmas, so I have to say that I was expecting something that wasn't Delibird. While the ability and attack haven't been seen before, they aren't that exciting.

Lots of things wrong here. First of all, because HP is an abbreviation (standing for Heart Points), both the H and the P need to be capitalized. Hidden Surprise is missing the phrase (Your opponent draws first). In the ability’s text, as well as the attack’s effect, Pokémon needs to be capitalized. The phrase “before you attack” doesn’t require a capital B.

You did very well in this category. The one thing that doesn’t sit right with me is the colorless resistance. Delibird takes normal damage from Normal, Flying and Dragon types in the video games. A resistance to fighting (represents ground type) would have been perfect.

Weihnachtsmann

Ursaring - HP130 - [C]

Does 30 damage plus 10 damage for each Teddiursa on your bench that has damage counters on it.

[C][C][C][C] Hibernate
Flip 2 coins. For each heads, remove 6 damage counters from this Pokémon. This Pokémon is now asleep.

With its ability to distinguish any aroma, it unfailingly finds all food buried deep underground.

It’s not an Ice-type, but a hibernating bear definitely relates to the winter season. Living in Canada, I can say with confidence that messing with a hibernating bear is very dangerous.  The first attack is very fitting of the behaviour of bears as well.

I don’t notice any technical errors. Good job.

This is an exciting and creative card, and I love that isn’t too overpowered. I’d argue that it’s a bit underpowered, but points can’t be taken off in that respect.

Total: 50/50

squirtli

Delibird 70 HP {W}
Basic Pokémon

{C}{C} Present
Flip 4 coins. For each heads, draw a card. For each tails, your opponent may draw a card.

If the Defending Pokémon tries to attack during your opponent's next turn, your opponent flips a coin. If heads, your opponent may draw a card. If tails, put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon.

It’s a Delibird, which cost you some points. However, the Naughty or Nice? attack is creative enough to gain some of the points back. Presents a nice risk/reward attack, and I don’t think I’ve seen anything like it. So it’s Santa Bird, with Santa attacks. I like it.

PMJ

Glaceon - HP100 - [W]

Once during your turn, when you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve your Active Pokémon, you may put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent's Pokémon.

If you didn't use Freezing Beam last turn, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

By controlling its body heat, it can freeze the atmosphere around it to make a diamond-dust flurry.

It’s an ice type, which isn’t that exciting for a winter themed card. It’s a cool card, but I don’t find it very exciting.

Your Glaceon is a balanced card. It isn’t overpowered or underpowered. It’s perfect.

Umbeosion

Once During your turn (before you attack) If this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon you can move 4 damage counters from your Benched Pokemon to your opponent's Pokemon in any way you like.

Does 50 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokemon that already has damage counters on them. The Defending Pokemon is now paralysed.

Pokemon-EX Rule: When Pokemon-EX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize Cards.

Creativity: 14/20
It’s not a Delibird, but it is an Ice-type that has the added benefits of bringing snow. An EX is different, but it’s difficult to rate without the public knowledge of what evolved EXs are like.

In the ability, during doesn’t need to be capitalized. The same goes with if. Each time you say Pokémon, the E must have the accent. For the EX rule, cards isn’t capitalized.

Everything is nice and fair. As I said above, no one knows how the evolved EXs will operate, but that doesn’t affect your score.

Kam

Basic

{C} Dreidel Spin
Spin a dreidel. If the dreidel lands on Nun (נ), this attack does nothing. If the dreidel lands on Gimel (ג), move all the damage counters on Chanukah Baltoy onto the Defending Pokémon. If the dreidel lands on Hei (ה), move half of the damage counters (rounded up to the nearest 10) on Chanukah Baltoy onto the defending Pokémon. If the dreidel lands on Shin (ש) or Pei (פ), put a damage counter on Chanukah Baltoy.

Resistance:

I’ve never seen anything like this before. It’s very creative and unique, and giving it anything less than a full score would be uncalled for.

Unfortunately, with such creativity often comes a sacrifice. In this case, both believability and playability are sacrificed. Spinning dreidels won’t be done in Pokémon cards any time soon.

Image-Based

Squirtli

As you mentioned when you posted it, it’s somewhat lacking in the creativity department. Yes, it’s an Ice-type so it fits the theme, but seems to be at the bear minimum. The attacks are relatively standard as well.

Judging by Houndour (EX TRR 60), I would word the Body “If Froslass has any [P] Energy attached to it, the Retreat Cost for Houndour is 0. Always remember to capitalize Retreat Cost as well. In the attack, you are missing the clause about whether or not to apply W/R (i.e. “ (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.”)

Placement looks wonderful! Just for fun, I checked out the placement (to the pixel) of the name and HP and you were right on the money! However, the attack text looks a little off – like you didn’t use 96% width.

To be honest, I think 90 HP for Glalie in the EX-era may be just a little too much. It has less base HP than Glalie, and Glalie’s maximum in the EX-era was 80 HP, so I’d expect a Frosslass to be around there. Otherwise, definitely a believable card!

Charganium

[/img]http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/340/f/6/lapras__beach_contest_entry_by_charganium-d4iddyg.png[/img]

As with Squirtli’s entry, Ice-types (while they fit the theme) are not the most creative choices. I would’ve given you at least another point if Lapras was swimming in a wintry landscape. The attacks are pretty standard for a Lapras card as well.

I don’t think you need the “…choose 1 of your Pokémon” in the Ability, so it should read something like “(before your attack), you may return 1 of your Pokemon and all cards attached to it to your hand. ” In the attack, make sure to always use numeric values instead of spelling them out (“one” should be “1”).

I know you don’t use Photoshop, so I can’t take too many points off for this section, but both fonts and placement are off. The fonts look odd, and for the Pokédex info are completely wrong. However, placement needs work as well. Both the Ability and attack eneed to be moved to the left (see Carracosta NV for more correct placement. I’m not sure if you followed a font guide or not, but I compared the card to one of PokéBeach’s scans, and the size of the attack name and damage was larger on the card than the much larger scan.

Weihnachtsmann

While I’ve mentioned simply using Ice-type wasn’t too creative, I really like the Ability – and it’s very fitting for the theme! I also enjoy the fact that you used your own art. Looks like it could work on a Prime card, actually!

The Ability is worded very similarly to past cards with similar effects (such as Metagross SV, but I would add “(both yours and your opponent’s)” after [G] Pokémon and after [W] Pokémon.

Unfortunately, this is where the card falters a bit. Many fonts look off, and sometimes, you aren’t consistent. It’s very noticeable going from the Ability effect to the Tricicle effect text (all effect text should remain constant). Other problems include condensing the card name and much of the text (height/weight info and attack effects) looking too bold.

While the attacks are fantastic and very believable, the BW-era is a land of 60, 70 HP basics. Frillish NV, a basic Pokémon with a lower base HP than Glalie (a Stage 1 Pokémon) has 80 HP, so I would expect a BW-era Glalie to have at least 80 HP, but probably more in the ballpark of 100 HP or so.

PMJ

23hsigl.png

Good to see a non-Ice-type! What better a Pokémon to use for a Winter-themed competition than the Season Pokémon! Nice attacks; nothing too out of the ordinary but nothing too terribly standard. The Poké-BODY seems useful.

I remember there was some debate about the proper wording for the Body, I think it was decided that the wording was fine (as are the attacks).

This is getting picky, but the spacing of the two lines of Pokédex text seem to be a little too far apart, because as of now it looks too close to the illustrator bar.

#winning

RayquazaMaster

The Season Pokémon was a good choice for a Winter-themed competition, and I like how you’re incorporating countries into your cards. When I think of Finland (especially northern Finland), I do think of cold, harsh winters, so this was a great choice. To use Finnish for the attacks was also pretty creative.

In BW wording, the name of the Pokémon is never used; “this Pokémon” is used instead. However, I would word it something like: “Each player’s [W] and [C] Pokémon’s attacks do 10 more damage to the Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance). Each player’s [R] Pokémon’s attacks do 10 less damage to the Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).”

Fonts are, unfortunately, completely incorrect. Only the Ability name should be red, not the entire card. The card name and HP should both be bold, as should the Ability and attack names and attack damage. Placement is somewhat sloppy – the Energy symbols don’t line up when they are supposed to (attack cost, Weakness).

While a great concept for a competition, I don’t foresee any SP country cards in the near future. Additionally, usually only Pokémon-ex had 2 Weaknesses (to counterbalance their power), and Normal-type Pokémon now longer have a Psychic Resistance in the BW-era.

Dolphinluv2010

winterraichu.png

I love how you took a Pokémon which is not Ice-type or in any other way associated with Winter and used it quite effectively! Plus a dual-typed Electric/Ice? You know I’m a sucker for non-TCG types. Power and attack reflect the season well, and I love the Santa hat you added to the Pikachu evocon.

Holiday Spark should read “…to your opponent and put it into your hand.” Minor, though.

I know I mentioned I’m a sucker for non-TCG types, but as much as it boosts creativity is does tend to hurt believability.

Delta Nite

CONTEST1.png

Delibird seems like an obvious choice, but the art (holding the gift) and attacks make up for it. Using Aki’s glass symbols was a nice touch (and truthfully, look very ice-like). Everyone loves winter break, and the effect is reminiscent of cards like ______’s Pikachu.

The power’s wording seems correct, and the attack’s wording seems logical. Good work!

This could very well be a problem with the blank, but still…having the HP not in the silver area by the type symbol looks out of place, and well, strange. It looks like there is enough space for HP. The placement of the Poké-POWER icon seems out of place as well; in the EX-series, the icon would be lined up with/centered on the circles. I understand that these are different kind of blanks, but it just looks slightly off.

If it were real, I’m sure it would receive the “not tournament legal” errata. =) Half a point off just because the attack effect isn’t something that would likely be printed anymore.

Flame Claw

Again, this card suffers from the “Ice-type = Winter” problem. Not necessarily a problem, but because it occurred with so many cards, I have to take some points off for creativity. Attacks are nice…nothing stands out, but nothing outrageous.

The two [W] Energy in Eternal Freeze are placed a little too high – bring them down a few more pixels.

Starting in the e-card series, Ice-types had a [M] weakness. Not really a biggie, though. One thing you’re great at Flame Claw, is the ability to make realistic cards. The attack effects are never over-the-top, which adds to your cards’ realism.

Yakkov

Interesting choice of Pokémon, Yakkov. Never would’ve thought of using Victini. The art is nice, and having a Christmas tree background is fitting for the theme. The Ability and attack match the theme as well! Using your own art is nice, too.

The card falters a bit here. Starting with BW, the Pokémon’s name is never used in effects (it’s always “this Pokémon”). Additionally, “Active Pokémon” should always be capitalized. Time To Gather should be worded similarly to “As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, at the beginning of each player’s turn, he or she may draw cards until he or she has 6 card in his or her hand.” Family should be worded “Each player may search his or her deck for as many Basic Pokemon as he or she likes, put them onto his or her Bench, and shuffle his or her deck afterward.” (from Pichu HGSS).

Incorrect fonts and symbols. I believe there is a symbolsheet for asche’s BW blanks which contains the proper symbols. Names of Abilities/attacks should be the same size, as should effects of Abilities/attacks. Consistency is key. =)

A nice draw card which is able to fill the Bench – with the drawback that your opponent gets to do the same. Not too shabby. Not sure the attack should cost [R][R], though.

Roderick

As I’ve previously stated, while the Ice-type Pokémon for the Winter theme fits, it does so at a minimum. Combined with very standard attacks for a Dewgong, this card is creative but not overly so. I do like the blank, though!

Everything seems to be in order, although I’m not a fan of the “Evolves from…” text. Additionally, I don’t think I’ve ever seen “Evolves” not capitalized.

Typical Dewgong.

Spammy

You took a Pokémon that really has nothing to do with Winter and “Chistma-fied” it perfectly. Very well done, and this was honestly exactly the kind of entry I was hoping for! You made great little edits to Regigigas itself, and put it in a festive background. Body/power combo for red/green is also festive. I’m giving you a bonus point for being (in my opinion) the most creative of the image-based entries.

Gentle Giant: “Regigigas can’t attack until it has any damage counters on it.” (basing wording on url=http://pokebeach.com/scans/legends-awakened/15-regigigas.jpg]Regigigas LA[/url]. In the power, I don’t think the part about using the power again is correct. It should be something similar to “During your next turn, this power does 90 damage to the Defending Pokémon.

Everything looks like it checks out, though the Pokémon usually doesn’t come so far out of the image border that it interferes with the body/power/attack text.

Honestly, the body is a great representation of its in-game ability, and I can see the power being real – although it would make much more sense as an attack. However, the real Regigigas has HP around 150, and there have been normal versions of Regigigas with 120 HP, so 110 HP is a little low.

Cris

Although Delibird on its own wouldn’t get so many points for creativity, the fact you made it the Grinch’s Pokémon gave it some extra points. I love How the Grinch Stole Christmas (just watched it last night, in fact), so well done on the theme!

The power should read “Once during your turn (before your attack)” In the attack, instead of saying “If 1/2 is heads…” you should add “of them” so it reads “If 1/2 of them is/are heads….” See Delibird TRR for an example. Minor issues, really.

It looks like you used Gill Sans Condensed Regular instead of Gill Sans Regular for the power/attack effect. The HP and “Illus.” text look off, too.

Half a point off because of Delibird belonging to the Grinch. On its own (or with another owner), the card would seem pretty realistic.

EricDLee

050.png

While this card, too, suffers from the “Ice-type = Winter” syndrome, it has a wonderful illustration to match, as well as a blank with an icy background texture.

Always remember to use numerals instead of spelling numbers out (as in the attack).

This card would be obnoxious to play against, and I don’t see anything that should cause the card to get points off in this category.

Professor Palutena

The Queen

We just finished our discussion. Expect the results before the sun goes down, even though it probably has (especially if you live in Canada).

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

Image-Based

Squirtli

Charganium

lapras__beach_contest_entry_by_charganium-d4iddyg.png

Weihnachtsmann

PMJ

23hsigl.png

#winning

RayquazaMaster

Dolphinluv2010

winterraichu.png

Delta Nite

CONTEST1.png

Flame Claw

Yakkov

Roderick

Typical Dewgong.

Spammy

Gentle Giant: “Regigigas can’t attack until it has any damage counters on it.” (basing wording on Regigigas LA). In the power, I don’t think the part about using the power again is correct. It should be something similar to “During your next turn, this power does 90 damage to the Defending Pokémon.

Honestly, the body is a great representation of its in-game ability, and I can see the power being real – although it would make much more sense as an attack. However, the real Regigigas X has HP around 150, and there have been normal versions of Regigigas with 120 HP, so 110 HP is a little low.

Cris

EricDLee

050.png

Congratulations to Dolphinluv2010 for winning the image-category! It was well-deserved.

Bippa will be posting the text-based judging ASAP.

Professor Palutena

The Queen

And by Bippa, he means Peachy. Someone isn't used to the name changes yet. :p

Name changes, schmame changes. You will forever be Bippa in my heart. :p

Text-Based

Fraxureking

Delibird Hp80 {W}

Weihnachtsmann

Ursaring - HP130 - [C]

[C][C][C][C] Hibernate

It’s not an Ice-type, but a hibernating bear definitely relates to the winter season. Living in Canada, I can say with confidence that messing with a hibernating bear is very dangerous.  The first attack is very fitting of the behaviour of bears as well.

Besides "Bench" and "Asleep" needing to be capitalized, there are really no errors. Good job!

Total: 49/50

squirtli

Delibird 70 HP {W}
Basic Pokémon

{C}{C} Present

PMJ

Glaceon - HP100 - [W]

Umbeosion

Creativity: 13/20

Total: 33/50

Kam

Basic

{C} Dreidel Spin

Resistance:

Congratulations to Weihnachtsmann for winning the text category. With an entry as phenomenal as yours, you deserved it. Congrats to Dolphinluv2010 as well.

CMP and I hope to see you all return for future rounds of PokéBeach's Create-a-Card Competition. From CMP and I, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Darn, I lost. Oh well, congrats to the winners, see you kids next time