Pocket Monsters X / Y Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Pocket Monsters XY Discussion

Whaaat, people arguing about pointless trivialities on the internet? Wow, who saw that one coming???

Saw the episode yesterday, another good one. Ash and Serena's interactions are fun, the battle was great, I enjoyed it.

Bisharp said:
Artemis said:
What's there to argue about? >_>
From what I've seen, they're complaining about Pikachu getting both wins and having some seriously intense arguments from it.

I guess if I had any problem with it at all (which I don't, honestly), it would just be because it's Pikachu and Ash's Pikachu is usually given special treatment. But, in all honesty, I do like the way the anime bends the stricter rules of moves and such when adapting them from the games. Otherwise the anime would get very boring very quickly.

Artemis said:
Bisharp said:
From what I've seen, they're complaining about Pikachu getting both wins and having some seriously intense arguments from it.

I guess if I had any problem with it at all (which I don't, honestly), it would just be because it's Pikachu and Ash's Pikachu is usually given special treatment. But, in all honesty, I do like the way the anime bends the stricter rules of moves and such when adapting them from the games. Otherwise the anime would get very boring very quickly.

I honestly don't mind Pikachu getting the spotlight. OK, I admit there are moments I'd like another Pokémon to have a little more prominence, but thankfully we have. Infernape, Charizard and most likely Froakie. He has bundles of potential in becoming a big main character.

Another great episode! The creators are really becoming quite creative with the battle strategies and I do like the fact that Ash learned new strategies by recollecting a few events from the previous day, and incorporating them within his battle to get out of difficult situations.

What do you guys think about the ways they have been doing the endings for the last two episodes? I love how they left us off at a cliffhanger last episode, when Serena asked whether Ash remembered her, and this episode, when she was asked whether she knew what she was going to be doing throughout her journey.

Eh, I personally don't really care about it too much. :p It's not like they're actual cliffhangers when everyone is already wondering is Ash would remember Serena and what their past together was like, or what Serena will be doing as a trainer. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some kind of wishy-washy "oh, I dunno, maybe I'll just travel for you a bit while I figure out what I want to do!" and then throughout the series follow Serena on her personal journey of discovery to be a trainer or something.

That last part isn't meant to be disparaging to the show or anything (obviously, I'm enjoying it a lot), it just seems pretty clear at the point that Serena didn't seem to have much in the way of goals aside from "1) Get Pokémon, 2) Find Ash, 3) ?, 4) PROFIT!" so her self-discovery during travel is definitely a potential answer to the question, and rather fitting to Pokémon in general.

I actually really love the "cliffhangers". It's tiny but it feels much better than every episode being a standalone. I get the feeling I'm really watching a story now like with other anime.

The episode was far from bad and the battle was going in the right direction but then stupidity strikes as Fletchling isn't able to repel Sleep Powder while using Razor Wind. I mean, the bird was spinning itself and the powder just goes directly to him!? This was cheap but it gets worse when Pikachu manages to stay somewhat awake. A bird making some wind is just knocked out but a mouse that does nothing to avoid the powder, somehow fights it off and manages to make an attack so it can get back to normal?

I was glad to see that Eureka is just a child and needs sleeping. Not a surprise since she's always so energetic but the batteries have to run dry sometime. I'm also happy to see Dedenne always appearing like a true partner.

Since when Ash is so excited about machines? Did Cilan's behavior regarding trains and fishing rubbed on in? I wonder how Ash will react when Team Rocket comes up with some awesome mecha.

Too bad that the next episode seems more of that same ol' Ash "stealing the thunder" from other character. Why does Ash have to participate in stuff related to other characters?
The good thing is that now we we'll finnaly see the gang relax for a while. I was just sick of always seeing the gym. At least the new design is better than the one seen in Isshu, where everything was so bright, with light colors and so clean, no dark forest and bushes, just a big and vast scenery of light green.
Btw, doesn't the anime now looks more like an animated movie or something? I can't explain it but now everything seems more detailed and better, just like B2/W2's trailer and The Origin.

Leaf_Ranger said:
At least the new design is better than the one seen in Isshu, where everything was so bright, with light colors and so the clean, no dark forest and bushes, just a big and vast scenery of light green.
Btw, doesn't the anime now looks more like an animated movie or something? I can't explain it but now everything seems more detailed and better, just like B2/W2's trailer and The Origin.

All of my YES! I wasn't the only one thinking this! X/Y has come such a long way animation-wise. It actually looks like a full-fledged anime compared to B/W. It's weird, but now that I've seen some X/Y episodes, the animation style in B/W creeps me out a little. The simple movements, CGI, and overall brightness of it all made it seem less like an anime and more like a cheap kiddie show.
When I first saw the trailer and later the first episode of X/Y, I almost cried tears of joy by how beautifully animated it was. Effort! Honest to Arceus effort! :D
Also, I heard that the same animation company that animated The Origin is animating X/Y, so that probably explains everything.

Leaf_Ranger said:
The episode was far from bad and the battle was going in the right direction but then stupidity strikes as Fletchling isn't able to repel Sleep Powder while using Razor Wind. I mean, the bird was spinning itself and the powder just goes directly to him!? This was cheap but it gets worse when Pikachu manages to stay somewhat awake. A bird making some wind is just knocked out but a mouse that does nothing to avoid the powder, somehow fights it off and manages to make an attack so it can get back to normal?

Do you think this might be related to Pokémon Amie from the games? It might be their way of showing the positive in-game effects that a strong bond has. In the games it can wake Pokémon up from a sleep, which it not exactly what happened here, but it might be related.

Drohn said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

Do you think this might be related to Pokémon Amie from the games? It might be their way of showing the positive in-game effects that a strong bond has. In the games it can wake Pokémon up from a sleep, which it not exactly what happened here, but it might be related.

I completely forgot about that but now that you speak of it I think you're right, after all Ash not only has a deep bond with Pikachu but Eureka is always grooming his Pokémon! Now it makes sense.

And yet, we've never seen Ash feed Pikachu a single Poké Puff, nor bounce any balls of yarn of his head...

After reading what happened what happens in the newest episode, I have to say this anime is proving almost faultless. And here I thought it would take almost all season for Ash to remember Serena when in reality it only took about three episodes :p

The shippers are going to be going crazy with all that Ash-Serena hand-holding in this episode. Youtube shall soon be inundated with hastily cut together footage set to angsty teen music. IS NOTHING SACRED ANYMORE?!?!

Um... anyway. Yeah... another solid episode, this is indeed a positive trend. Not sure why Bonnie thinks Rhyhorn are cute though (and this is coming from me, a guy who thinks alligators are cute. It's the smug, toothy grinning. I love it.) Team Rocket are doing a fine job right now of alternating between sinister and comical, as and when the mood suits. So yeah, cool stuff.

If any episode were to test my patience, it would be this next one, which is apparently about grooming Furfrou. But TR look to be dressing up in silly clothes, so it may well be all good.

Finally got a chance to watch the most recent episode and get the OP updated today! :D

I was overall pretty impressed with this episode; filler but entertaining. Obviously there's going to be a lot of filler in between gym battles and the like, but if they're all at least amusing like this one was, I don't mind.

I must say that I called it on Serena's "goal" being wishy-washy. I do hope this means that we'll actually see her battling (she really seemed to like her experience battling Team Rocket with Fennekin) and participating in things instead of just being a passive member of the party. I wish she would have been racing, too, but seeing Ash on a Rhyhorn was worth it. >__>

Next episode looks like it should be fun. We get Team Rocket dressing up in fun costumes, yay!

Also, for those of you who might not always look at the OP, we've had a bunch new titles/dates drop down. We now know when Chespin will show up (soon), and some other Pokémon debuts (the Espurr title is especially amusing considering all the memes about its eyes). There will also be breaks with no new episodes in late-Dec and late-Jan; don't know if this is standard or not, but figured I'd mention it anyway.

Espurr watches you! That episode oughta be interesting.

Also looking forward to Sylveon making its anime debut, considering its pretty much my favorite Gen VI Pokemon as of now.

The episode was nice but there's something still missing from this series...I think it's interaction between Pokémon. There are now six Pokémon travelling with the gang so a little "family" time with them wouldn't hurt. I've always liked episodes like the one on that island of giant Pokémon and those two first movies' Pikachu shorts.
Another thing that's bothering me is the fact that Clemont still hasn't told Ash that he's Lumiose's gym leader. Why keeping a secret and making like it's some big secret when most of us may already know who he is? It's May & Max all over again (Misty too I think).

I'm liking Serena's "relationship" with Ash a lot...but I'm scared of the other way around. I just fear that Ash is gonna be a stupid brat when it comes to Serena, just like he has been with his former Pokémon.

Still, in the end, I'm liking it.

I, too, wish we could see more Pokémon. The first few episodes were great in that respect (both Froakie and Garchomp), but since then the amount og Pokémon interaction and involvement has dipped, aside from the ever-present Pikachu. Hopefully it'll pick up again soon.

I was expecting some action from Dedenne at least. Its a mouse and that might would had caused some panic amongst the Rhyhorn but that would be better than nothing and maybe Serena could shine a little more by calming the Pokémon. Not to mention Froakie's behaviour in regard to its trainer, so Ash should be already evaluating it and see if it would still behave like that and trying to come up with a solution.
Finnaly, there's Bunelby...few screen time and a design that isn't favorable. It may end up as Misty's Staryu or worse, Starmie.

With Pokémon Amie introduced I also thought the anime would somehow put more emphasis on the interaction between Pokémon and their trainers. It might still happen in the future episodes!

I enjoyed watching the last episode (luckily subtitles aren't needed to understand what's going on). The battle Ash had with Team Rocket was what I found most interesting. I expected Pikachu to be called back or do worse and lose because of the ink (does Inkay even learn any accuracy lowering moves naturally?), but the bond Ash has with his Pikachu showed to be the key to victory once more! :D

Drohn said:
(luckily subtitles aren't needed to understand what's going on)

I take it this means subs still aren't out yet? Lame. :<

Also, I guess Inkay can learn Double Team via TM, but I'm surprised it doesn't get, like, Smokescreen or something, which seems natural for a squid-like Pokémon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back