Pocket Monsters X / Y Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Pocket Monsters XY Discussion

I just call Bonnie "Eureka" in my head. I, too, can't avoid the Bonnie and Clyde association whenever I hear it, and I don't remember it well anyway, so she just gets the Japanese name to me. :p

I, too, love the personalities of the Pokémon in the series! :D It's probably my favourite thing so far. They seem to be doing a good job with it so far and I hope it continues.

^
Yeah, after hearing her japanese name, I decided to do that too and because I always find japanese voices much cuter.

A good sign of how good this series is is the fact that I didn't even remembered there was Misty, Brock, May, Max, Iris and Cilan nor one of the older Pokémon, I just was paying attention to the new ones and looking foward for more.

XY005 continues the pleasing trend of being rather excellent. The battle is absolutely tip-top, very cool stuff indeed. Predictably, Ash stuffs it, but at the end of the episode we see him actually practising and trying to learn from his mistakes. So yeah, a good episode. All the characters are starting to become characters now. Clemont can't run, that looks like, as someone mentioned above, to be the running (teehee) joke of the series. Still, that's totally better than "ERMAGERD TASTING TIME YESSSSS!" Bonnie is somewhat less developed, but at least we know she likes cute things. And Dedenne is far more tolerable than Emolga, the most punchable electric rodent ever, in my opinion. Next week looks to continue all the things I liked about this episode, so that's good.

Also, I wish real-life social interaction worked like it did in the Pokémon world. "Hello, I can see you kneeling on the floor close to tears, probably because two of your Pokémon were just released from hospital having been slaughtered upon the field of battle. Here's a tissue. Oh by the way, do you remember me?" I probably wasn't meant to find the end so amusing, but I guess that's kids' TV for you.

Definitely impressed with the gym battle. I like that Viola's Pokémon put up a good fight (much more so than in the game >_>), and that Ash is actually practicing and training to make up for his shortcomings, very promising!

Serena was being kind of awkward, but, well, like Yakob said, that's kids' anime for you.

Eureka was pretty facepalm-worthy, though.

At last, a Pokémon battle that is actually good. If all the gym leaders are expected to be equally good or better than Viola, bring it on. Now I can't wait to se Ramos' debut!!
I was glady to see Surskit in action and how Viola really posed a challenge. Too bad that Ash still has that "always foward, don't give a sh*t about friends nor whoever dies along the way, I want some battle I want a gym leader and NOW" and is again a rookie that forgets how to use a battlefield to his advantage (or at least nullify the foes' advantage on the battlefield) or even to use the counter-defense moves seen in Sinnoh. His rematch and expected victory with Viola will be lame and without much merit from Ash since the lil' kid needed Alexa's help just to began training (btw, glad to see a more serious side of Alexa and not just the "woman who relies on Gogoat").

You're talking about Serena's akward moment with Ash, but what about Eureka's proposal to Viola!? Akward and funny, namely because of Clemon'ts reaction (and it's better to see how he pushes his sister than Croagunk dragging Brock like some drunk and horny guy).

Finnaly, did somebody else felt that Clemont might get a crush (or he might just use her as a guinea pig) on Serena after he remarked that she was a new trainer and ended there without further talk on that matter, while the glasses shined?

My comment on the Eureka/Clemont/Viola thing was just the aforementioned facepalming towards Eureka. I hope it doesn't become a recurring gag of Eureka constantly trying to hook up Clemont with all the women she meets, because that will get old very fast. Hearing her talk the same way about a grown woman as the Pokémon she wanted to capture ("Onii-chan, kiipu kiipu!") was just uncomfortable and not really funny at all.

But then, I walked into this series already knowing that she'd probably get on my nerves, so I guess this is expected.

Oh, sorry, I didn't notice it in your comment.
I also don't want it to becoming a recurring gag but then again, Eureka seems to only show interest in capable and atractive women so, unlike Brock who's always looking for a woman whether they're short, tall, black or white, Eureka may only propose to a handful of girls. Nurses Joy seem off the table and so might be Officers Jenny along with Team Flare's female scientists. I bet that Valerie, Diantha and maybe Olympia might be future options and perhaps a few characters of the day.
Since I don't understand japanese I didn't catch that way of treatment and so it didn't bothered me.

I too was expecting her to be annoying, but for now she only got screen time in episode 3/4 and not that much in previous ones and 5, so I'll have to wait how she develops.

PS: seriously, gym leaders still don't know each other? I'm not talking about meeting in person, friendship and bonding but at least they could know the faces of others, since they know the types. --.--

Leaf_Ranger said:
Finnaly, did somebody else felt that Clemont might get a crush (or he might just use her as a guinea pig) on Serena after he remarked that she was a new trainer and ended there without further talk on that matter, while the glasses shined?
Or Bonnie will try hook Clemont up with Serena in every other episode! :p (I hope that won't happen)

The fifth episode was really awesome!

The gym battle looked really amazing. The battle style and the intensiveness. I didn't expect Ash to lose this match, but I'm glad we got him to be serious about it. This episode again focuses a lot on Ash's bond with his Pokémon and on how much he cares about them. He got hurt trying to protect them once again!

I like Serena and Fenekin. After the interruptions that happened several times when she tried to ask Ash something I was scared we weren't going to find out their relationship until much later. I'm glad she got to ask him and I'm hoping to find out in the next episode!

Bonnie hasn't annoyed me yet, and I actually think it will be funny if she tries to find a wife for Clemont as long as she doesn't do it often.

JamesBond said:
Anybody here think that Serena might become ash's rival?
I'm willing it to happen. It would be really neat for Ash to have a rival that travels with him. It would add a sort of new dynamic to the show. Besides, I can't think of any other goal for Serena :p

Bisharp said:
Besides, I can't think of any other goal for Serena :p

This is a good point. There weren't exactly a lot of alternate things available in XY like the Pokémon Contests, or movies, or anything, so aside from being a Pokémon Trainer, there's not really a good mechanic to spotlight with Serena. Unless she becomes a Sky Trainer or something I guess. >_>

She has shown to be very interested in Ash. Her goal might just be to get to know him and travel together, without participating in anything major. I do think it would be awesome if she became Ash's rival though!

Drohn said:
Her goal might just be to get to know him and travel together, without participating in anything major.

I honestly hope this isn't the case because it sounds... boring? There wouldn't be much point to her being there if she was just Ash's groupie/cheerleader and didn't do anything on her own.

I also wouldn't like that to happen, but I just don't see that many things she could do. She might continue her training by racing on Rhyhorn. I hope she will become a rival of Ash or that she have a complete new objective in Kalos (that might appear in the following game versions).

For Ash's previous travel companions the objectives were always clear, but she simply set out on a journey to find Ash, which makes me consider she doesn't have another objective.

Drohn said:
... but she simply set out on a journey to find Ash, which makes me consider she doesn't have another objective.

To be fair, she did meet with Prof. Sycamore and get a Pokémon before leaving, which at least indicates that she wants to do something with Pokémon to some extent. She wouldn't have needed to do that if all she wanted to do was follow Ash around.

Well, Ash now has his first Gym Badge, hurray! I bet none of you saw that coming, admit it.

Some interesting use of moves in these battles. I always kind of forget how much the anime likes to twist moves to have them work in different ways, like Pikachu Electro Ball-ing himself to get read of the Sleep Powder. :p At least it's more exciting than "ohnoes, lost HP!"

Also, not surprised at all that Ash that didn't remember Serena from the camp, knowing what we know of Ash's horrible memory. :D

Also also, my favourite part of the episode was Clemont and Ash getting all excited about Clemont's new machine while Serena and Eureka just stared on blankly. >.>

Also also also, for anyone who's keeping up with the title listing, looks like Clemont is, indeed, still the Gym Leader of Lumiose City (as predicted), but also that his secret comes out a bit sooner than expected, maybe. Will Ash end up getting a Badge from Clemont before moving onto Cyllage, do you think?

Also also also also, next episode looks great, even if probably kind of filler-y. Ash on a Rhyhorn, yessss.

Also also also also also... no, wait, I think I'm done now.

I ALSO really liked the way they responded to the machine. It was funny how his failed machine helped out in the end again.

I was also expecting Ash not to remember, but at least now we know how they met!

It's good to see Ash earned his first badge and I'm looking forward to his next battles. Even though he lost on his first try, he seems to have grown.

So next week we might find out what Serena's goal will be? :D

Not even the least bit surprised Ash couldn't remember. However, I think the memory of Serena will come one way or another. I have to say this series is proving to be one heck of a good show. They've really put some welly into making the episodes as best as they can be. There are all sorts of little things about this episode that really made me like it. Bonnie falling asleep was adorable. I think she's real surprise of the show, I thought she was just going to be annoying :p And that slightly overdone pat on the back Froakie gave Fletchling was just a great sight. ALSO ( :p ) the next episode seems to show a little more about Rhyhorn racing. However, something tells me this won't be Serena's goal.

You know looking at this anime discussion thread here and comparing it to the Serebii forums, I can see how more tranquil this one is. They're really having some arguments about this series!

What's there to argue about? >_>

Artemis said:
What's there to argue about? >_>
From what I've seen, they're complaining about Pikachu getting both wins and having some seriously intense arguments from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back