Playing honestly vs. "Cheating"

Jay said:
What I'm referring to is when people call camping/"haxxy" play dishonest. If it's part of the game, then it's a perfectly viable strategy.

^I picked that up right away from his post. Yes, camping is seen as a cheap strategy, but it's perfectly acceptable and falls well within the normal game regulations. Jay's saying that, as long as it's legal by the rules of the game, it should be permissible.

(Trying to exploit a bug for multiplayer would not be, since it counts as an unfair advantage.)

Jay said:
What I don't like in this debate is that often, people will condemn others for using unethical, or gimmicky playing styles to gain advantages in online play. They will say that such play styles are not honest, and that they should not be used.

I completely disagree. You play to win the game. If someone wins the game by camping and stabbing, good for them. They did better than you. As long as one doesn't use a true cheat to gain an unfair advantage, any play style should be accepted.

Most games aren't solely about winning, rather about winning and having fun doing it. If every single person in a match of, say, Black Ops 2 wanted to win that badly, then everyone would just hide in a corner and wait to ambush other players until the match eventually ends. Even in MLG sponsored matches, teams make an effort to win using communication and teamwork, not gimmicky playstyles. Camping and other tactics like it take exactly 0 skill to utilize, and that's why people look down on players who use them in order to win. Am I saying you should send hate messages to campers you come across? No, but on the other hand, they shouldn't brag that they did "better than you" when they used a tactic that nearly guarantees them a victory (or at least a high K/D).

And besides, good players like me know how to deal with campers anyways.

ZUGZD5m.gif

If you cheat do it in your own personal time. However if you are not that good and know you will not get far then you can use a cheat. If you are competing and cheat that is very bad but if you play fair then you are a good matured person XD.:)

I play two MMORPG's and one has an absolutely no cheating/no macroing policy and the other is much more loose. The one that is a lot less strict basically has the philosophy that if "cheating" enhances the players experience, then so be it. They actually want that. This is basically what Drohn (i think) brought up and it's pretty much my philosophy too. The point is to have fun and if you can have more fun by taking a shortcut then you've probably succeeded in not taking life so seriously.

Of course that only applies to gaming though, we wouldn't want to enact that philosophy in real life (obviously), who knows what would start happening lol.

Camping is when you sit in one place an entire match and just destroy anything that comes your way. It's actually quite effective, and I've won many- *shot*
Haxxing is illegal. It's called hacking.

Haunted Water said:
Haxxing is illegal. It's called hacking.

Are you sure about that? In Pokemon VG at least "hax" generally refers to a luck-based mechanic not going your way. A "haxxer" would be someone who uses or relies on these a lot based on that.

Well, I was applying it to FPS terms, specifically Call of Duty, where using modded/hacked controllers/consoles is a ticket to a permaban.

Back