Playing honestly vs. "Cheating"

Haunted Water

DEFT Lunar
I was playing The Last of Us earlier, and learned if you pick up an upgraded melee weapon, you get a full blade added to your crafting menu. Now, there is no explanation about why this would happen in-game, and nothing in the manual. So I started glitch farming, since blade drops aren't as abundant in the world. I felt accomplished that I was playing the game how it was intended. Then I got to thinking...
I thought of asking for your guys' views on glitching and cheat codes from this. I know cheats and glitchs are frowned upon in most games, but some usually are overlooked.
So, what do you do? Do you use glitches to your advantage? Do you use cheat codes in games that are incredibly difficult/not fun to play otherwise? Or do you prefer playing honestly?

Guts

CyberPhunk
Using cheats and glitches to get a leg up on other players online is bad, but if you want to use said glitches/cheats when you're playing by yourself, go ahead. It's your game.

That's all there is to it.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Do whatever makes the game fun for you. If you want to play the game without the use of glitches or cheats, then fine.

If you want to do just that, then fine. If you do it and it no longer makes the game fun to play, then stop.

It's as easy as that.

Teal

黄前さん らしい ね
The only glitch that I use is cloning in Pokémon (because it is not fair if others clone and I trade away my unique Pokémon, so it's kind of a multiplayer pressure abuse thing) and gen 1 glitches because they are fun, but I don't use those gen 1 glitches to beat the game or anything like that.

In other games, I like to play fair. I even use the Curse Ring (you do 1/2 damage and take damage x2) instead of beneficial rings in Oracle of Ages to make it harder. Kinda like nuzlocking. ;P

AlexanderTheAwesome

Go! Chandelure!
Glitches I fond okay since I'm not technically altering the game. In online play I still see nothing wrong with it since everybody has access to. It

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
AlexanderTheAwesome said:
Glitches I fond okay since I'm not technically altering the game. In online play I still see nothing wrong with it since everybody has access to. It

Clearly you've never heard of *Auto Tribe King (MegaMan Star Force 2).

I am in agreement with SL; if you want to go have fun and mess around by yourself, then go ahead. It's your game. If you take this stuff into online matches, not only stuff that can't be obtained legitimately, but also stuff that can and absolutely ruins the game and its balance for everyone else (Auto Tribe King being one of those things), then no, get out.

*for those who don't know:
Tribe King is a state in SF2 that, when you combine the 3 tribes together (only possible if you have friends that play the game), not only gives you the abilities of all 3 tribes, but also doubles the power of any chip you use - however, it only lasts for 3 turns, so as soon as those turns elapse (opening the custom screen is the end of a turn), you get kicked out of it and returned to normal.

Auto Tribe King (abbreviated ATK) is a code that exists in the game, using Blank Cards, that allows you to start every fight in Tribe King, and all that comes with it, until you turn off/soft-reset the game. It is exactly as game-breaking as it sounds. It is extremely frowned upon by SF2 players, and many people will just outright disconnect when fighting them - despite the game's yelling at you for being discourteous.

professorlight

Ice Queen
All I can say is: Use glitches if you want, (in SP), but, don't abuse them. I worked a lot in skyrim, taking my alchemy, enchantment and smithing to 100 and taking the necessary perks in order to use the restoration potion/enchantmentent glitch, and I got two things: 1) A set of armor that crashed the game when I put it on, and 2) a set of weaker enchanted armor and weapons that effectively made me god, I beat alduin in an epic duel that lasted 1 hit of my sword, It was horrible.

Haunted Water

DEFT Lunar
My friend uses the restoration glitch like crazy. It's funny, because he has a hacked game file, so people actually pay him to buy things. And he can't smith anymore, otherwise another glitch will activate, and the weapon will actually give health.

TwistedTurtwig

It's been a pleasure
I've found through personal gameplay that I prefer to go through a game completely legitimately, so I can experience it for its full worth. I'd rather not ruin my first time playing by utilizing glitches or hacks to become OP. Afterwards though, I enjoy looking online and experimenting on my own to discover glitches in games. I find it to be almost an extra challenge to get just the right conditions to do something crazy, like "tweaking" in Diamond and Pearl to access restricted areas, or completing Grumble Volcano on MKW in under a minute thanks to an unintended platform.

Drohn

Wild War Dance
I believe that it is definitely fair to play a game in a manner the player enjoys it the most. If you use them for competitive purposes I do think ,though, that you have to notify your partner of this so he or she is aware of it and doesn't mind playing with you. You can of course also decide to not use the advantages through glitches and cheats competitively.

xxashxx

"Pokemon Gotta catch em all Pokemon"
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The cheats and glitches are there to enhance your experience. If you do horrible the higher you go and are frustrated use the cheat codes unless you are playing against someone anyway then play the honest way. If it is for your own experience just use the cheat codes. That is why they are there. I now use Pokecheck to get some events that normally I can't get my self for instance. That saves time in wauting to trade in Wi-Fi if no one has them yet. The classic ribbon events no one can tell whether or not they are downloads or the real thing XD.:)

professorlight

Ice Queen
xxashxx said:
The cheats and glitches are there to enhance your experience. If you do horrible the higher you go and are frustrated use the cheat codes unless you are playing against someone anyway then play the honest way. If it is for your own experience just use the cheat codes. That is why they are there. I now use Pokecheck to get some events that normally I can't get my self for instance. That saves time in wauting to trade in Wi-Fi if no one has them yet. The classic ribbon events no one can tell whether or not they are downloads or the real thing XD.:)

Pokecheck? what is that? can it help me get a meloetta in white 2?

xxashxx

Elite Member
Advanced Member
Matter of fact yes. Follow the instructions on the front page. [Link Removed] then make an account and follow the steps 1 2 & 3. Make note if it does not havea classic ribbon it will have a premier ribbon. so the event will appear as a hack but it is not hacked. Make sure you use the legality checker to make sure it is legit before you download the event to your game. If you know the ID of a Pokemon you can find it faster XD.:)

SheNinja

Aspiring Trainer
PokeCheck is great if you are Pokegen'ing, but that probably is a banned topic of PokeBeach and i won't go further into the topic.

I believe that As long as it doesn't affect other people, glitch-farming is perfectly okay.

xxashxx

Elite Member
Advanced Member
I only use it to download events I never got but nothing else. I could use it to clone but the only way it can be done is to extract my save file which I have no intention of doing. It is good for events you missed never got or ones you are waiting for. Other than that it is pretty much not good because the other stuff requires you to upload your save to your computer which is banned by Pokebeach Forums.:)

Ysmir

Retired Mod
Ok guys let's go back to discussion of honest playing versus cheating. The convo has taken a turn that leads towards cheating which stuff like that (and Action Replay etc) aren't allowed so let's get back to the topic at hand.

xxashxx

Elite Member
Advanced Member
I usually olay the honest way unless I get stuck in a tough situation. If that happens I will use cheats to get me past say a boss. I use cheats to pkay around for my own personal use and I do to get certain things that I need but other than that I will play the legit way. Pokemon is simple but if I get an event I will not trade it unless I get it cloned first.:)

J

Juliacoolo

What I don't like in this debate is that often, people will condemn others for using unethical, or gimmicky playing styles to gain advantages in online play. They will say that such play styles are not honest, and that they should not be used.

I completely disagree. You play to win the game. If someone wins the game by camping and stabbing, good for them. They did better than you. As long as one doesn't use a true cheat to gain an unfair advantage, any play style should be accepted.

Ysmir

Retired Mod
What purpose does " unethical, or gimmicky playing styles to gain advantages in online play." serve other than to as you said it gain an unfair advantage?
I mean....like what are you talking about exactly? An example. Cheating is cheating, it's unfair, and it's purpose is solely for unfair advantage/personal gain. The worse I've done in a game is there was a bug in TES:Oblivion that allowed you to repeatedly collect 10,000 gold by talking to a character....but it was a bug, I didn't manipulate the game in any way but I still was like "this is shady". Another plus was TES games are single player RPGs so the bug I took advantage of really only affected me.

J

Juliacoolo

What I'm referring to is when people call camping/"haxxy" play dishonest. If it's part of the game, then it's a perfectly viable strategy.