Pokemon Opinion on Giving Nicknames to your Pokémon

I nickname every Pokemon I own excluding legendaries. I never trade the nicknamed Pokemon so it's somewhat like a bonding thing. I only own the final evolution of each Pokemon line except for a few that I find adorable like Mime Jr. and Timburr. I'm always naming them words from different languages, my favorite characters, and gods.

I do nickname my Pokèmon, but I don't do it very much.
On Diamond, I nicknamed my Piplup starter, "Earl", my Starly, "Star-Lisa" and my Geodude, "Brock"
However, on HeartGold, my Pokèmon don't have nicknames, at all.

I just have a hard time thing of a good nickname to my Pokemon thinking for hours.

xayshade said:
I nickname all my pokemon.

It makes them feel more personable. Like they're real and stuff. I don't name them human names though. Just tons and tons of references and bad puns.

I used to nickname my Pokemon the same way, but after ten failed attempts at Nuzlocke and eventually Naming my Oshawott Luke X, I just got annoyed and stopped.

Oh and, I had watched Star Wars right before trying the nuzlocke the first time, so... I think you can get who I referenced it to.

I don't nickname them most of the time, but I have in two or three playthroughs (and on a Pokemon adoptables site). I nickname them after what they make me think of. I'm really odd when it comes to association, so most of the time they end up with silly names that have nothing to do with the Pokemon XD I once had a Skarmory named BrainTumor.

I never have liked giving Pokemon nicknames, especially when you get a nicknamed one in a trade since their names can't be changed. If I do receive a nicknamed one, I breed it, hatch the egg, and release the nicknamed Pokemon, unless it's a shiny or legendary.

I like to name some Pokemon with names that really fits. I have been naming my Hitmonchan "Mike Tyson" for example ^.^

I don't usually name my pokemon, but after seeing a nuzlocke video where a guy named his Jynx "Frostitute" I felt inclined to do silly name such as that.

If its my first play through of a game I usually give my current team pokemon nicknames only game I didn't change the name in was Yellow but that was more to do with the anime tie and ash never nicknaming his pokemon.

Usually I pick names similar to the theme of the pokemon Mareep for example always get named Deckard from 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?'

I try and nickname all my Pokemon just to see how creative my team's names are by the end of a playthrough of a game.

I always name my Arcanine "Arco" ALWAYS.. he is awesome .^_^.
I never used to like nicknaming my other Pokemon. Its only since the start of this year that I decided that now I do like giving my other Pokemon nicknames :D

I nickname almost all of my Pokemon. Most of my names are references, but some are just regular names such as David or Brian. I've been nicknaming for as long as I can remember. Even if I'm not the best nick-namer.

I think nicknaming is cool if people actually give the pokemon good names. I don't personally, though, because I wouldn't be good at it...

I don't nickname my pokemon. I play the game as a collector (I like to think of myself as that classy villain guy from the second pokemon movie). I collect one of each pokemon, raise it to level 50 at least, make sure it is an "appropriate" gender, and I give it a somewhat decent nature, moveset, and ability. I have like 5 and a half boxes filled with final evolutions of different pokemon on my White version. But I don't nickname pokemon because it feels like it takes away from their "condition".

But I am thinking next gen I may start to nickname them. I was thinking Latin and Greek names!

I normally don't nickname Pokemon. It doesn't really affect the game anyway. Although way back during the GSC times, I'm forced to nickname them just to lose the all caps. (SQUIRTLE -> Squirtle)

Back in Gold, I nicknamed my team with Greek god's names and since I also had some 5 or 6 Persian (yeah, I was crazy about them and each one had some different attack) I would name them based on an actual feline like lion, tiget, etc.. Since that game, I never again nicknamed my Pokémon. It just feels akward, because I don't think that I have the right to nickname something that might have some kind of distinguish name inside. Look at "Ponygon" from Zatch Bell, he already had a name: Schneider.
That said, I will mostly likely give a nickname to Gogoat, but simply because I find the species name ridiculous.

I hate nicknames. I won't lie about that. The only Pokemon I nickname, are ones I either wont keep, or in Gen 3 I kept nicknaming all of my Wurmple's "S*** Worm" Mainly because I caught one and made it a Dustox, then hated the evo line, etc. It became a running gag with my brother for some time. They all ended up being traded over to my other games at the time for dex completion.

For me I think it's childish TO nickname them. Therefore my view on it is no nicknames. I would much rather be closer to my Pokemon by calling them their species name.

I would really rather say. GO!!! POLITOED!!! Than say GOO!! FROGGER!!! (which I have seen).

I nickname my Pokemon for story and post-game purposes. I rarely do it when I'm going to use them competitively. Also, it's fun to name them random things you think of and after random Japanese words. It makes me feel more like I'm playing the Japanese versions of the games which I don't have any of. So let's see... my Raikou is name Rairo, Rairo is "Thunder Wolf" in Japanese Kanji I believe. It may be Katakana or Hirigana. Not entirely sure.

Nicknames are either for you or not. It's not a big deal if one person does or doesn't. Ever since I got a Pignite in a trade for a Shellos, I nickname all the Pokemon I trade so the other person feels either pain that they don't get to rename it, or happiness if they like it >o<

Also, not-nicknaming legendaries is on my checklist, because I rarely ever do so. But I've actually started to like doing it recently, so maybe it'll change. If you were wondering, my Castform's name is Tenkikeise, meaning "Weather Formations".

Super__Sonic said:
I would much rather be closer to my Pokemon by calling them their species name.

Sorry for the double post, but wouldn't that make your dog's name canis lupus familiaris. Your cat's name felis catus, your turtle's name testudines, etc.? I'd much rather name them Iggy, Baeuio and Nibbles.

But I shouldn't be one to judge, I did just say that "nicknaming is either for your or isn't. You don't have to if you don't want to." in my previous reply. So, meh.

It's funny because I can't even remember if I used to nickname Pokemon when I was really young or not. As I grew up, I definitely didn't do it in the games. I just didn't see much point to it. I will say though, that Nuzlockes are a legitimate way to play the games with nicknamed Pokemon. You actually really feel a bond with the Pokemon after you name them as you hold their very life in your hand. It's definitely much more personal, akin to a Fire Emblem game (where you care about the characters in that game a lot too). I suggest anybody not into naming Pokemon to give a Nuzlocke a try if you want a challenge and actually want to care for these little monsters that you basically train to fight like dogs.

dmaster out.

Back