Pokemon Opinion on Giving Nicknames to your Pokémon

Nicknames are awesome.
I'm giving my bros a name.
A name to remember.
When they get to the Elite Four, and they see their name on the Hall of Fame....
Makes daddy proud.
'Scuse me for a minute.....I need a moment....

I nickname everything.
No, really, everything.
One of my favorite perks in the game is the ability to nickname your Pokemon. I also collect one of every single Pokemon possible and put them in national dex order in my PC box. Every Pokemon in my PC box has their own special name, and often times I will name them either based on what seems the most fitting, a memory, a special person, or a reference/joke. Its almost kinda like a miniature journal because every word I come across triggers some kind of thought when I go back and look at them. For example:

Specs the Kecleon (named after my actual pet chameleon)
Paddle and Danda the Oshawott and Pikachu (after my mystery dungeon characters, I have several like these)
Jay the Raichu (after a close friend)
Tecton the Whiscash (plate tectonics, fitting)
Teemo the Paras (hehe)
Charzi the Charizard ( a lame name I know, but its after my original very first Pokemon ever that I no longer have. :c)
Tomo and Dachi the Plusle and Minun (me and a friend had P+M plushies nicknamed this)
Tony and Maria the male and female Nidoran (from the old anime episode of the Nidoran)
Somber the Umbreon (fitting)

And for X and Y, you can bet I'm probably going to nickname my Fennekin evolutions Kinvix and Pyrokinen.

My only exceptions for not nicknaming a Pokemon are for tradebait, and the ones that can't be nicknamed (events, this bothers me so much because now I cant have Petunia the Shaymin, Miku the Meloetta, or d'Artagnan the Keldeo.)

Yeah I know I'm lame. /end dramatic nicknaming ramble

Why not give them a cute nickname?

I enjoy naming my Pokemon adorable names so I feel much more attached to them, Plus I hate seeing "disorganization" as all CAPS on my Pokemon's name, ugh. It may be "Kiddie-ish" But I actually enjoy naming them. Of course they're Pokemon but they deserve a name too, not just one to be called a unoriginal creature, What would be the difference?

I tend to nickname my pokemon with spur of the moment names, so sometimes I get some interesting results xD

I don't nickname everything though, if it isn't going on my team and/or I run dry with names I tend to not stress myself with names. I find nickname making fun so I try and not force myself to nickname all my Pokemon or I feel that it ruins the fun.

I always nickname my main story team and any competitive level pokemon I manage to get. However, I tend to spend a long time deciding on a name before I choose one because I don't like to change it again afterwards.
I feel like it makes me closer to my pokemon :)

To me, not nicknaming your Pokemon is like naming your dog, Dog. Our greeting people by saying "Hey you, human! Come over here!" People, animals, and Pokemon are all unique and should be treated as such.

I just don't nickname my competitive mons because I'm lazy. xD

If something clever pops into my head I give my story line pokemon a nickname. I don't have a lot of the pokemon names memorized so not nicknaming them helps me with that, but I always nickname my competitive pokemon. I put so much work into them that I might as well give them a nice name as the "cherry on top".

Most of the times I keep the real name...That's also a good way to learn them :)
I seldom give nicknames... the last two pkmns I gave a nickname to are Jynx (Nicki XD I love her) and Lickitung (I called it Bubi, cause it's the nickname I gave to one my friends...he always keeps the tounge out of the mouth when he takes selfies XD)

I name every single one of my Pokemon that is possible to nickname, but not always legendaries. I just wish you didn't have to keep the original nickname if someone trades you a Pokemon.

I always nickname my Pokémon, every one except the legendaries (unless I can think of a really fitting name for them.)

TwistedTurtwig said:
I'll find myself sitting on the nickname screen for a half an hour at times, deciding what to choose for a name.

Oh gawd I knoooow the feeling D:

All of my white 1 and black 2 pokemon have a nickname except for my Zoroark since N is the OT so I can't nickname it "/

I. NICKNAME. EVERYTHING.

If I got my favourite pokemon with amazing competerive potential on the GTS and it wasn't nicknamed, I would not even slightly hesitate to put it straight back on there. Seriously. I've had moments where I bring pokemon I caught for the dex, (not even hm slaves) and took them in masses to the name rater.

That moment when you receive a Pokemon in Wonder Trade and it has a bad nickname....

I almost never give Pokemon nicknames. Something about nicknames just bothers me most of the time, although if it's a really good one I'll occasionally do it. Also, no nickname increases trade value. I do have two exceptions to this rule: I name Whismurs Aster and just do weird, random names for Dittos.

The only problem I see with nicknames is that you can't change them if you get a Pokémon from a trade. And so, if you battle with 5 Pokémon with nicknames and one traded Pokémon with no nickname it feels kinda wrong.
I like to use nicknames when I happen to actually have a good idea for it. Since it doesn't happen so often, most of my Pokémon have no nicknames. Only the competitive Pokémon I own (which are not traded) have nicknames.

I always nickname them, but I don't nickname uniques (like the once per game encounters), although I'm contemplating starting doing so because they are so ubiquitous now.
I also only catch things in Pokeballs because it creates a "classic" aesthetic quality that I enjoy.

Prior to the 6th Generation games, I hardly bothered giving nicknames to my Pokémon, but as of recent, I've really gotten into doing so.

Like most who nickname their Pokemon, I do it for the sense of bonding between Trainer and Pokemon. Sometimes I name them after other series...
  • Patronus the Gardevoir
  • Gondor the Pangoro
...sometimes, I even give them Earth names.
  • Kara the Lucario
But most of the time, I give them names that flow, sounds that I feel suit them.
  • Zala the Houndoom
  • Civius the Infernape
  • Vyria the Charizard
  • Kobai the Froakie
I sound really creepy saying that, but I suppose that's the risk you take whenever you put emotions into things. :)

Back