Pokemon Old TIME Article on Pokemon

Rusty Sticks

♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
This article is all the way from 1999. It is a hilarious read, given how much Pokemon has evolved (dohoho) over the years. WARNING: it's a long read.

Here ya go.

BEWARE OF THE POKEMANIA

TL;DR - Pokemon is bad and parents should feel bad

I actually came across this recently and it's a pretty interesting read. Similar to one of the stories in the article, as a child my school banned Pokémon cards after several fights broke out because kids would trade cards, one would change his mind about the trade, and the other refused to trade back.

Hahaha. Cubone is bear-like and Chansey is a dinosaur. Hmm, can't say I've ever viewed them as such.

I remember when Pokemon got really big, really fast. My school also had a tendency to ban Pokemon cards, although I don't think it was a real rule. Teachers would just confiscate cards if they became a problem and give them back at the end of the day/week. I remember being told to "grow up" (this was in 7th grade) by a teacher because I played the Pokemon video game and card game. Fourteen years later, I still haven't "grown up." Take that!

Yeah, so many schools banned Trading cards including Pokémon. My Dad told me to "grow up" I am 17, I still play Pokémon :). I have read loads of articles on, shootings and stabbings over Pokémon cards in school grounds....

I remember in 4th grade, in the cubby area, when we were 'eating snacks' At least, and I mean AT LEAST 50% of the kids (Including myself) would play pokemon diamond/pearl or FRLG. It was classic.

And I lost so many good cards for fakes.

LOL the seriousness of this article is great! If you have a kid that will stab another kid over Pokemon cards, then you have a kid that will stab another kid over anything.

The article was definitely really long, but there are some funny things to point out.

Like how the demographic for pokemon at first was 12 and under. Not I don't know any 12 year olds that even know what pokemon are; personally.

Also this was that time when I was in 1st grade and I remember parents were getting angry over Pokemon. I remember they would have P.T.O. Meetings about banning cards and game boys from school. Some parents claimed that Pokemon made their kids "bad".

On the subject of "growing up", I do hate that people feel Pokemon is for 12 year olds, because as clearly stated in that article it seems they're still stuck in the 90s. Pokemon is something my generation grew up with and it continues to evolve (pun) with us, making it hard to just drop. If they would have stopped making games after yellow or crystal then I probably wouldn't play anymore.... However that's clearly not the case!

It's a lifestyle, but for some a secret lifestyle.

"Some behavior has been delinquent. A six-year-old logged on to a Pokemon website and printed counterfeit copies of the cards to trade with gullible schoolmates. Other behavior can be criminal. Last week a nine-year-old boy on New York's Long Island stabbed an older schoolmate in a dispute over cards. A principal explained why her school, like many others, was banning Pokemon cards: "Children who don't have Pokeman cards feel left out.""

Pokeman? My goodness, it makes you think about how much of our current news is going to be this in a few years.

Jay said:
"Some behavior has been delinquent. A six-year-old logged on to a Pokemon website and printed counterfeit copies of the cards to trade with gullible schoolmates. Other behavior can be criminal. Last week a nine-year-old boy on New York's Long Island stabbed an older schoolmate in a dispute over cards. A principal explained why her school, like many others, was banning Pokemon cards: "Children who don't have Pokeman cards feel left out.""

Pokeman? My goodness, it makes you think about how much of our current news is going to be this in a few years.

I'm not the only one who HATES it when people call it Pokeman right?

They do bring up an excellent point, Pokemon are like dinosaurs, you get kids young enough and they can just remember every single name you throw at them, just like Dinosaur names. Only difference is that one of them may actually be a tiny bit useful at some point in your life.

Back