Pokemon Nicknames

I have original, funny, and unoriginal names for many of my Pokemon. Generally, I nickname them the first thing that comes to mind. My favorite one in terms of humor is a Vespiquen named Daisy. It was based off of a character I had in a fanfic once (also a Vespiquen named Daisy) whose only spoken line was 'Hi, I'm Daisy'. I think that's one of the few times I've done something like that just for humor value.

Most of my nicknames though are epic, and many are based off of mythological entities. For example, my Staraptor is named Garuda, my Heatran is named Ifrit, and my Blissey is named Kronar.

Everything you see in this post is 100% true.

My nicknames for my Pokemon are often based on the first thing that comes to mind. I have a Salamence named Avenger CR and the CR means Chocolate Rain, a Pidgeot named Pudding, a Girafarig named CreepHeads, a Pinsir named Pinch U, a Magikarp named Bahamut, a Raikou named Spark-Dawg, a Relicanth named SeaRokFish, another Pinsir named Lucky-Man for winning the Bug Catching Contest, a Beedrill named LoserDrill for losing a Bug Catching Contest, a Vibrava named Red Eyez and many others.

Zenith said:
Typically I name my Pokemon after Greek/Roman gods or names in Latin, when I remember to give nicknames. There are a few exceptions, such as GRDN DNIES the Groudon and Jay Leno the Aerodactyl.

jay leno because of the huge chin?

Megachu the Pikachu. And Puddy the Wurmple.

I sometimes nickname my starter their Japanese names if I prefer them.

450th Post!

Most of the time I don't tend to nickname my team members, but sometimes I get a random feeling, and go ahead. My most recent one was naming my Crobat, Brobat.

It was only once I started to battle with it I found out other people had called their's Brobat too.

The only other time I nickname is with Pokémon from my Japanese games - purely because it makes them slightly more personal.

although, sometimes i nickname my pokemon randomly, or off of gods or other things like Odin the Machamp, Loki the Banette, and Cerberus the Houndoom.

My brand new Entei called Gyaddreth (pronouced GY-ADD-RETH) and my Entei called ENTEIZON!

Now I'm getting Suicune called Sucrè or something off my idiotic French cousin.

I'm pretty sire sucre means sugar in frnecg.

Owen said:
I don't nickname my Pokemon. I have no emotions towards fake creatures.

So why, might I ask, would you play the games in the first place? What exactly do you get out of them, if not feelings of joy and/or pleasure?

I don't nickname for any empathetic reason... Just for the sake of individuality, like Bulbabuddy said.

I just caught a male Sudowoodo with a love ball using a male Elekid. When i used my female Torkoal, it didn't even shake once. I ended up nicknaming it Homowoodo.

Yes, "sucre" is French for sugar. Anyway, on topic I named my Infernape HotHead. :p Cheesy, but fitting.

I generally think use a combination of real names, references (to all sorts of things), and off-the-top-of-my-head stuff. Here's a few examples (if you spot the references, then you're a pretty cool guy)

Iris the Raichu, Ciel the Manectric (both of the names together form a stealth reference)

Cybele the Venusaur (dual reference - mythology and videogames)

Skipper the Wotter (yes, I've thought of a name for my 5th Gen starter already)

Erik the Grovyle (a bit obtuse - add letters to the name)

Yeah I also name pokemon based off of references and such. For example I named my Flygon "Draygon", a boss in the video game Super Metroid and I named my Sceptile "Stevie" which is the name of my real pet gecko. :3

My giratina is named phandraco, my infer nape is named blitz, my heracross is named sweet tooth,
My clefable is named miracle, my drapion is named ptery, my feraligatr is named suchorex, my lugia is named oceanus, and my gyarados is named Ichthyorex.

Also: Nereus the slowking, erebus the spiritomb, atlas the snorlax, axlethered the scizor, jetstream the garchomp, and brontes the dusknoir.

Sometimes I'm original or creative with nicknames, other times...not. Usually I name them after game characters. I've always loved my token names for Espeon and Umbreon - Belnika and Hilde, named after two characters in the Rave Master manga (the only manga I ever really cared about, no thanks to the rubbish television adaptation, but hey, that's a rant for another time). My RSE team all have nice names...Antheia (Greek goddess of marshes and swamps, among other things) the Swampert, Altair (Arabic, meaning "the bird" or "the flyer) the Swellow, Indigo (a type of mushroom!) the Breloom, Ashni (a name of Sanskrit origin, meaning lightning) the Manectric, Issun (Character from Okami, who always reminded me in appearance of Ralts, hence the name) the Gardevoir, and Gauri the Absol (the wife of Shiva, a goddess of longevity - also meaning ''white'', both characteristics of Absol (being a long-lived Pokemon with white coloration.))

I usually do NN my pokes

I guess my most creative or favourite would be "Kyoken" for Blaziken =)

Back