New Time Limit

Amt

What do you guys think about this season's new 30 minute + 3 turn rule?

I personally don't like it, seeing as most decks I tend to play need a full 40 minutes to win.

They tested the 30 + 3 limit at the side events at Nationals and people seemed to like it.

Hmmm.... I dunno what to say about this, possibly seems... abused...But for now, I am not too sure.

Gotta look up some of the trials a friend of mine recorded 2 years ago when Garde was at large to make a rejudgement.

I also don't like it. While it does keep time shorter, like you said, I love to play decks that go back and forth in the prize count, but with this rule, it kinda kills those decks. Also puts more emphasis on speed (which is dominating right now and will even more so with this rule).

Some decks might be hurt by this new limit. Others probably get stronger. Who knows until the first couple of BRs.

I have been seeing way too many matches won on time (league tournaments/ friend's house). I don't like it.

Ill def abuse this rule because people will defiantly call it on YOU.

My Suggestions:
-Decks with quicker setups.
-Pick the deck you plan to play 2 - 3 weeks before a tournament, get tones of practice in.
-Buy a stop watch or use you iphone/blackberry to time your turns.

This will pose an issue in the Juniors.

This is a LOT better then having no + X turns rule. Ive lost too many games on time that I wouldve turned around the very next turn (Worst example, losing 4-2 in prizes when I wouldve taken 4 next turn, time being called the moment he said "Deep Poison"). This will also give spread decks a breather, setting up the field for a few focussed KO's in the last two turns.

this is good news actually...seeing as now you dont have to actually be just leading at time but need to lead by a large margin...which in turn makes sure you deserve the win...

I personally like the new rule. It's not as easy to abuse as the previous system. The only thing I don't like about it is the 30 min. I think 40 minutes and 3 turns would be better, but people would complain about it taking too long.

GHJamesGH said:
I personally like the new rule. It's not as easy to abuse as the previous system. The only thing I don't like about it is the 30 min. I think 40 minutes and 3 turns would be better, but people would complain about it taking too long.

A lot of TO's are already not very happy about 40 minutes. Particulary at huge events. 30+3 is a great compromise, also means there isn't a lot of pressure on those last turns, giving one the time to play them out properly instead of having to hurry along.

For real? in tournament's you only get 3 turns before the game ends? and 30 minutes?

thats soo crap. why limit it to 3 turns? thats rubbish.

Eh, I think PUSA is hurting decks this way, Specifically deck-out decks, and spread deacks [ex StallGon or Dusknoir]. These decks needed the 10 extra minutes to get set up on their opponent's side of the field, and get multiple prizes. On the other hand, Turn-2 setup decks went way up in popularity. If they can get ahead 1 or 2 prizes, and just manage to stay alive, they'll win the game.

I don't like the rule myself, the extra time is needed for a lot of decks, but I do see it being useful to prevent stalling.

daviduk2000 said:
For real? in tournament's you only get 3 turns before the game ends? and 30 minutes?

thats soo crud. why limit it to 3 turns? thats rubbish.

No, you get a 30 minute game, then 3 turns to decide.
And I dont know about Spread taking a hit. Keep in mind that this will enable them to use the final turns to do a few focused KO's, being able to "count out" their KO's...

Lou Cypher said:
No, you get a 30 minute game, then 3 turns to decide.
And I don't know about Spread taking a hit. Keep in mind that this will enable them to use the final turns to do a few focused KO's, being able to "count out" their KO's...
ahhh thats ok. lol i thought it was ridiculous having 30 minutes to take 3 moves each. lol

Yugioh used something similar as well. Its a better system then "ITS TIME AND ITS OVER NOW" which has nailed a lot of people in a rather unfair way.

Lou Cypher said:
Yugioh used something similar as well. Its a better system then "ITS TIME AND ITS OVER NOW" which has nailed a lot of people in a rather unfair way.

Around here you get to finish your turn. its not just over immediately.

I don't mind shorter because I play fast and my games hardly ever go to time unless my opponent is stalling. The thing I don't like about it is one person gets bonus more turns than the other. How about 25 mins plus 4?

I've been seeing a lot of debate about the application of this rule. Our local PTO who was present at Nats as a judge explained the rule to us a couple weeks ago. He explained it that each round is thirty minutes, if there is no tie in prizes after thirty minutes then the game ends in favor of the person with less prizes without going +3. If the games are tied then the +3 rule is enforced and if no one draws a prize both players are given a game loss.

The PTO in question's wife confirmed this as well, she also is a Tournament Organizer. We have had several small tournaments at league that I have played in that followed the rule as I described above.

Back