'New Nintendo 3DS' Models Announced [8/29]

Were you able to get exact specs on the amount of RAM and processing power? That would be the main selling point to me.

The new 3DS seems neat, but I'm not sure if it will warrant a lot of people buying another improved model of the 3DS for this newer model. Keeping in mind, the 2DS was made out of the need to meet gamers who may not have enough money for the regular 3DS, and cutting off the "3D" feature to meet their requests while the XL was made for people who have enough money and want a wider screen for a little extra money thrown in the purchase. Although, the camera tracking head movements seems very fancy! And I imagine the feature will fix a lot of face gesture problems in Pokemon-amie that people have been having.

I think people that have not yet purchased a 3DS will find purchasing this version to be a fine choice to get started on the new Nintendo handheld games. And what with the increased CPU, RAM, and Screen sizes that come larger than the original and the XL, it does seem like a fancy alternative to the XL, which I believe offers mainly a bigger screen. Although, people that have enough money may replace their 3DS for this newer model.

I guess it's all about Nintendo tailoring their handheld to the specific audiences that they have: What they're willing to pay and how they want their handheld to feel and look. And, of course, to promote these Amiibo figures as well. :)

I'll probably get one at some point. Have over 1000 hours on my 3DS anyway.

"The bottom screen will also support NFC (near field communication), which will allow the systems to interact with the upcoming Amiibo NFC figures."
Does this mean the Amiigos won't work with older 3DS models?

Raigetsu said:
"The bottom screen will also support NFC (near field communication), which will allow the systems to interact with the upcoming Amiibo NFC figures."

They will, you just need an additional accessory.

Anyone know the full size in numbers of both systems?

I like the new 3DS but why the hell the normal version gets heavier and the XL get lighter? -_-'
I'm not interested in the question regarding the new analog and the new "touch" that I really like is the coloured buttons. I have yet to buy a 3DS but I'll have to wait and see the future of Castlevania on the handheld to see if I will buy it. Btw, new colors would also be cool!

When I first saw it, I thought the "C-stick" was the Power button. It looks about the same size as the Power button on the original 3DS. Like seriously, it's not even funny how freaking small and pointless it looks like just from the pictures. I'd definitely need to try it out at a demo station or something just to see how it actually works in my hands because I'm just not understanding it right now. Extra power, buttons, better 3D, and built in NFC is nice though. It really seems like it's built for Smash 3DS with the features too (specifically the buttons/stick and NFC). If there are good exclusives coming out besides a Wii port, it will probably be worth the money next year.

dmaster out.

King Arceus said:
Were you able to get exact specs on the amount of RAM and processing power? That would be the main selling point to me.

RAM is a big thing for me, the internet needs an upgrade. It can barely even load certain pages and some won't even load at all.

How much you guys wanna bet that 7th gen will be on New 3DS? The timing is perfect, and they could probably do some cool things with the hardware upgrade.

There are two reasons I don't have a 3DS, but neither is a lack of desire (...its a bit complicated, so I won't go into details). I certainly like what is being highlighted about the latest iteration, but of course I still have questions/potential concerns... so its list time:

1. What is the battery life? We've had "two steps forward, one step back" before, after all.
  2. How will it feel in hand? (Some of that is subjective, of course)
  3. That's a C-stick?! @_@ Definitely need someone whose opinion I trust to try that out.
  4. How well does the new face reading feature work?
  5. What if I don't want the face reading? Having flashbacks to pre-release concerns for the X-Box One and find out the camera can be used to record me/my surroundings as I play even if I don't want it to.
  6. How is it for backwards compatibility? Now that Nintendo is finally in a DLC age, will old companies consider re-releasing some games (and patching older copies) to make use of new features? I am mostly thinking of games that used that second analog stick add-on.
  7. Will future games embrace all this system can do? If so, will it be at the expense of "backwards" compatibility with older models. There is an awesomely happy medium available, I think... but it is possible that it might be too expensive to implement from a design perspective (and remember, time is money).

I'm quite happy with the direction they're taking for new models. They're adding more features and possibilities without removing the ability to play the older games on them (at least I expect them to be backwards compatible). By doing that you can enjoy older versions of games and even keep them compatible (easily transfer things over with Pokémon for example). I already feared a new console on which I couldn't play my old games anymore so this is really good news for me.

I'm definitely getting one as soon as it's released!

They're lovely, very retro.

And the increased RAM was a necessity, XY was already pushing it to the edge, and I have a strong suspicion that was the reason why they took the environmental 3D out of the final version, so any pokemon games for this new console will most likely bring full environmental 3D.

That's very true. My 3DS could handle the 3D from Pokémon games, but I definitely noticed a minor lagg during battles. Is it too much to hope for full 3D ORAS games? The consoles are released before the games after all!

Don't like the playerbase split if they actually make a lot of exclusive software.
-but-
Don't want the system to be a barren wasteland when it comes to exclusives.

This is a weird case indeed.

Pokemonlover903 said:
will this be coming to america? cause this might be like the 2ds for japan, cause they haven't announced a release for america yet, and the 2ds was never released in japan, idk but it looks like it wouldn't sell well, or maybe they will completely replace the 3ds and 3dsxl consoles with this, idk cause nintendo has not released consoles out of japan before

You can bet it will come to the US. The 2DS was a budget device to pull in a larger crowd. Japan love their handhelds though. They didn't really need persuasion in a cheap alternative. The interested hands that Monster Hunter didn't fill over there, Pokemon filled in for.

Which makes things all the more confusing. Don't see why this wasn't a worldwide announcement.

Edit: Whheeeeere did that post go? =| Replied, but now it's gone.

Will this be coming to America? Cause this might be like the 2ds for Japan, because they haven't announced a release for America yet, and the 2ds was never released in Japan, I don't know, but it looks like it wouldn't sell well, or maybe they will completely replace the 3ds and 3ds xl consoles with this, I don't know, because Nintendo has not released consoles out of Japan before, also nintendo is doing this whole "Wordwide release thing" and they usually announce it everywhere, but they might want to see how well it sells in japan first, cause they don't want this to be like the PS Vita

Momaster12 said:
Raigetsu said:

They will, you just need an additional accessory.

Anyone know the full size in numbers of both systems?

From the Direct:

New Nintendo 3DS is 142 mm x 80.6 mm x 21.6 mm, and weighs 253 g.
In imperial: 5.59 in. x 3.17 in. x 0.85 in., 8.9 oz.

New Nintendo 3DS LL is 160 mm x 93.5 mm x 21.5 m, and weighs 329 g.
In imperial: 6.3 in. x 3.68 in. x 0.85 in., 11.6 oz.

Bolt the Cat said:
King Arceus said:

RAM is a big thing for me, the internet needs an upgrade. It can barely even load certain pages and some won't even load at all.

The browser is definitely getting an upgrade. The Direct showed browsing with both sticks, some button shortcut with ZR, and HTML5 video playback. Neat stuff.

Pie-in-the-sky hope is that XY are updated to take advantage of this new hardware, getting rid of all the crazy lag and maybe enabling overworld 3D. The timframes line up so that ORAS could launch with support, but I guarantee Z will have support.

Back