New Mega Sableye Details, Has Magic Bounce [6/19]

Trick Room.

Bulky and strong (Sp. Attack) single weakness Recovery user that can't be directly affected by status conditions.

25228753.jpg

It's too bad it got stuck with Magic Bounce. I was really hoping it would keep Prankster to keep it viable competitively.
Although I didn't really expect it to keep Prankster, I didn't see Magic Bounce coming either. I assume a giant gem that can't be scratched would... I don't know, do more.

Wow, you guys. :p I don't think it's bad. But we'll know for sure once we see the base stats...

Calm Mind could be pretty good:
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-mega-sableye-officially-revealed-6-11?pid=2634375#pid2634375

...Are you guys serious? Magic Bounce is one of the best abilities in the game and depending on it's stat changes, it can create so many options for Sableye now.

WTF gamefreak

What's the point of giving it a Mega if it doesn't gain anything extremely broken?
The only reason Mawile is any good is because it's ability basically gives it 105 extra base stats on top of the 100 from the mega evolution. And its initial ability is useless after the first turn in battle, so it loses nothing.

Sableyes initial stats, just as Mawiles, are HORRIBLE (380 total)
Adding 100 on top of that is still 50 short of a regular final starter stage....while losing one of the best abilities in the game (Prankster) for just a quite good ability...while not being able to hold an items..

Well, at least it loses some speed right? (I'm serious, it's speed was useless anyway, so might as well draw more stats from it elsewhere)

Wait nvm, why does it's Sp.Atk grow drastically?? It's the lower of it's attacking stats.

Another thing that sucks is that it's HP can't increase for the mega, so they stay at 50.

Le'ts check its stats.
50-75-75-65-65-50
The expected typical mega of this would be:
50-85-115-105-85-40

Lets look at the BEST case scenario instead
I decreased speed by 10, because that's as low as they went so far (Ampharos and Garchomp are the only ones to lose stats upon mega evolving, both times its 10 speed), but let's pretend for a moment they would actually lower it as far as possible. And lets pretend they won't waste ANY stats on it's physical attack if they're keen on boosting the special one instead.
50-75-125-115-105-10

Either way, it's like a less bulky itemless Dusknoir with Magic Bounce and that's kinda disappointing in comparison to Mawile.

Mitja said:
WTF gamefreak

What's the point of giving it a Mega if it doesn't gain anything extremely broken?
The only reason Mawile is any good is because it's ability basically gives it 105 extra base stats on top of the 100 from the mega evolution. And its initial ability is useless after the first turn in battle, so it loses nothing.

Priority nasty plot or calm mind on the first turn. Prankster is not somthing that is so bad to lose for another ability and actually helps a lot before mega evolving.
Assuming they will get its stats the right way he might be good as a boosting tank

A tank that has a pseudo immunity to status, spin blocking capabilities with no Pursuit weakness, Will-o-Wisp, Recover, STAB Knock Off and Foul Play and only one weakness is not wasted potential in the slightest.

This thing is the *ultimate* answer to Deoxys hyper offense. That alone is a HUGE deal!

Mitja said:
WTF gamefreak

Adding 100 on top of that is still 50 short of a regular final starter stage....while losing one of the best abilities in the game (Prankster) for just a quite good ability...while not being able to hold an items..

Well, at least it loses some speed right? (I'm serious, it's speed was useless anyway, so might as well draw more stats from it elsewhere)

Wait nvm, why does it's Sp.Atk grow drastically?? It's the lower of it's attacking stats.

Another thing that sucks is that it's HP can't increase for the mega, so they stay at 50.

Le'ts check its stats.
50-75-75-65-65-50
50-85-115-105-85-40

I decreased speed by 10, because that's as low as they went so far (Ampharos and Garchomp are the only ones to lose stats upon mega evolving, both times its 10 speed), but let's pretend for a moment they would actually lower it as far as possible. And lets pretend they won't waste ANY stats on it's physical attack if they're keen on boosting the special one instead.
50-75-125-115-105-10

Either way, it's like a less bulky itemless Dusknoir with Magic Bounce and that's kinda disappointing in comparison to Mawile.

Couldnt have said it better myself. This pretty much means no new abilities, unless Kyogre and Groudon recieve something that makes their weather 3rd-5th gen broken.

scattered mind said:
Priority nasty plot or calm mind on the first turn. Prankster is not somthing that is so bad to lose for another ability and actually helps a lot before mega evolving.
Assuming they will get its stats the right way he might be good as a boosting tank
The problem with that is regular Sableye has paltry defenses and bulk at best. Taking hits, especially at full power without WoW/Swagger/etc support, is not something it wants to be doing.

Mitja said:
WTF gamefreak

Actually, Mawile gains more than just 105 extra Attack from Huge Power, as the ability doesn't double the base stat, but the actual stat. The maximum Attack stat it can reach with the ability alone is 678. Mega-Mewtwo X with 190 Base Attack caps out at 526, meaning that Mega-Mawile max practical base attack must be way higher than 205.

Mitja said:

I agree that 480 is a pretty bad stat total, especially for a Mega evolution. The loss of Prankster isn't a bad thing at all, and Magic Bounce definitely isn't just "a quite good ability". Magic Bounce is essentially an immunity towards status moves directed at Mega-Sableye, and as a defensive Pokémon, Status moves can be a hassle. It also blocks hazards and the like, which is a nice plus.

The loss of Prankster means that Mega-Sableye won't fill the same niche as Sableye, and that adds unpredictability to Sableye. When you see it in the pre-battle screen, you won't know whether it's a Prankster Sableye or a Mega-Sableye until you actually face it. It's the same unpredictability Heatran, Scizor, Mega-Venusaur and others can rely on.

Mitja said:

Le'ts check its stats.
50-75-75-65-65-50
50-85-115-105-85-40

50-75-125-115-105-10

The Special Attack increase is weird, but let's wait for the reveal of the stats to see if it's workable.
I'd expect the Speed to fall by more than 10, because Mega-Sableye looks pretty much stationary behind that huge gem. Mega-Abomasnow loses 30 speed, from 60 to 30, upon Mega evolving, so I can't see why Mega-Sableye wouldn't drop to 30, or even 20. 10 seems a bit unrealistic, but we never know.

The final spread you suggested is actually really decent. I would move 10 from Defense and Special Attack to Speed though, so we get:
50-75-115-105-105-30

Now, that may not be decent by Mega-evolution standards, but it's very close to the likes of Rotom-Wash. Let's compare these two for a second, if we assume the base spread is going to be something like I suggested:

Mega-Sableye: 50-75-115-105-105-30
Rotom-Wash: 50-65-107-105-107-86

That's pretty close, huh? Now, let's look at weaknesses, resistances and immunities:

Mega-Sableye is weak to Fairy, immune to Normal, Fighting and Psychic, and resists Poison.
Rotom-Wash is weak to Grass, immune to Ground, and resists Flying, Water, Electric, Fire, Ice and Steel.
So both have 1 weakness, and while Rotom-Wash has more resistances, Mega-has two more immunities to ensure free switches, not to mention free switches on status attacks after it has mega evolved.

Their movesets are also similar, with both having access to Trick, Toxic and Will-o-Wisp, and while Rotom-Wash can carry Thunder Wave, Volt Switch and Pain Split, Mega-Sableye has access to Taunt, Knock Off (Still a great attack, even though the attack isn't boosted), Foul Play, Calm Mind, and most importantly, reliable recovery. I think that's a pretty good trade for a hold item.

Mitja said:

It's more like a slow Rotom-Wash with different options, Magic Bounce and reliable recovery. Oh, and don't forget the unpredictability, since Sableye now can fill out more than one niche. The loss of an item, sucks, but it's still a pretty decent tradeoff. The only reason to be disappointed is if you expected Sableye to get an improved version of it's Prankster role.

IMO, it's definitely not the best Mega evolution, but it certainly isn't the worst either.

EDIT: Just remembered that turn order is decided before Mega evolving, so you still get Prankster priority the turn you go into Mega-Sableye.

Mitja said:
WTF gamefreak

50-75-125-115-105-10

Abomasnow lost 30 speed with it's mega, so not only Garchomp and Amphy lost stats.

I forgot about Abomasnow.

Sableye is definitely losing at least 30 speed then.

Plenty good points Jaxxup

I was hoping for Wonder Guard and high attack boosts. That way you would Trick Room on the prankster turn and destroy everything in sight with the power of gemstones~

xD

What if they want to boost its special attack because Mega Mawile has an overkill physical attack?
50-75-85-185-75-10
HARHARHAR

It's so weird, because its learnset is full of physical moves...
they need to stop showing it using Shadow Sneak lol

Guys you have to understand that they increased his special attack as opposed to attack because it's logical. That gem is heavy which means he probably cant move with it too much. That means he wouldn't be able to quickly get in close for a physical attack without leaving behind the gem. And if he did that, then he's exposed and weakened since you have to figure that in "real life," his personal defense is basically the same, all the power lies in the gem. In the games, they're just treated as one. So having high special attack that he can utilize from behind his gem's safety is the only option than makes sense.

Ohman177 said:
Guys you have to understand that they increased his special attack as opposed to attack because it's logical. That gem is heavy which means he probably cant move with it too much. That means he wouldn't be able to quickly get in close for a physical attack without leaving behind the gem. And if he did that, then he's exposed and weakened since you have to figure that in "real life," his personal defense is basically the same, all the power lies in the gem. In the games, they're just treated as one. So having high special attack that he can utilize from behind his gem's safety is the only option than makes sense.

Plus, his gem could "modify" his special attacks to make them stronger. If he shot, say, hyper beam through the gem, the gem would make it stronger.

Back