New 'Let's Play' Theme Decks Featuring Pikachu and Eevee!

Antonio123456

Aspiring Trainer
I would buy the Eevee deck in a heartbeat if it were the Energy Evolution Eevee. This deck looks like trash, which is weird because theme decks lately have actually been pretty good. I wonder what trainer cards it will have or if there will be new trainer cards in the deck?

One last thing, Let's Go looks horrid...
How does it look like trash? The packaging looks great. The deck sounds like it would be trash competitivly due to the description on the back, but you still don't know the contents.
This is not a theme it's a deck for little kids.

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
This for you, it says so on the box.
Well of course Antonio! If the box says so, then there's no questioning it! Everyone obviously wants nothing more than cool new decks with fewer trainers and more flashy Pokemon! Like, Pokemon are all you need in a deck, right?

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
Do we have enough advertisment? It's a game that costs money to develop, they need to make that back. If you want pokemon to continue to exist, they need to get the new generation into pokemon. Do you have a problem with children playing Pokemon?
With all due respect, if you think these two measly decks are going to save Pokemon's "financial crisis", you need to get your brain checked. I do agree that advertisement is the key though.

DuoForce

Semi-Ace Trainer
Well of course Antonio! If the box says so, then there's no questioning it! Everyone obviously wants nothing more than cool new decks with fewer trainers and more flashy Pokemon! Like, Pokemon are all you need in a deck, right?
Haven't you heard? All Pokemon decks have been winning worlds since friggin' 2007! Who these lame, boring needs trainer cards anymore???

DuoForce

Semi-Ace Trainer
All sarcasm aside. This is a terrible way to introduce kids to the Trading Card Game. They will assume decks should be mostly Pokemon and very few trainer cards which is a really, really bad idea. It isn't ideal to have 40x Pokemon and 20x Energy cards. The kids that they want to target so bad will end up loosing terribly at Leagues and would probably discourage them. The whole point of the TCG is to use your brain and think of good strategies, not just slapping down a bunch of random Pokemon and trying to attack mindlessly.

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
All sarcasm aside. This is a terrible way to introduce kids to the Trading Card Game. They will assume decks should be mostly Pokemon and very few trainer cards which is a really, really bad idea. It isn't ideal to have 40x Pokemon and 20x Energy cards. The kids that they want to target so bad will end up loosing terribly at Leagues and would probably discourage them. The whole point of the TCG is to use your brain and think of good strategies, not just slapping down a bunch of random Pokemon and trying to attack mindlessly.
All 100% true. I really like how Pokemon is experimenting with different marketing strategies, and you have to respect them for making such bold strokes to ensure that everyone's interested. But what I think they should do is make partial or half decks with staple trainers, energy, and a random Pokemon that's useful in the current meta. That way you'd encourage the younger players to collect their own cards and build decks off of some decent Pokemon. Trust me, I saw some new kid show up at a league a month ago with the cards from a Trainer Kit and he thought he was all set! So yeah something here needs to change.

KeoKeo

Aspiring Trainer
No! Fewer trainers means less consistency, and less consistency makes the game boring when both sides are bricked out because you only have 6 draw supporters in a non Zoarark-GX deck! Trainers are life!

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
Theme decks won't offer all the cards a new player would need in order to play consistently well. Now how will those players get cards that will aide them with building their skills? Gosh, what can they do? If only there was some way for them to acquire more card resources for a nominal fee.
rsz-1rsz-thinking.png

But what kind of scam would that be, right? Like, who could run such an elaborate money making machine. No way. On a side note: don't have faith in the GO audience when it comes to getting interested in the TCG. If that's what they're really after then it's a gamble. People who play GO are not the same kind of person who would've played the videogames in the first place. 'Mobile games' are a whole different genre and platform that doesn't translate into what many of us have been doing for a lifetime.

When I was a kid Pokemon had just come to North America and was a huge craze. It was a fad for a while, but some of us stuck with it while everyone else moved on. The same people who made fun of me for liking Pokemon then are now playing GO and acting like they were the biggest Pokemon fans. Pop culture is a commodity these days; as long as someone is making money the developers don't care about how you or I feel about the moves they're making. This isn't just unique to Pokemon, either. It's been happening to a lot of things over the years.

Last edited:

Hawlucha22

Aspiring Trainer
Like most people, I think these are useless for new players as it won't provide new players with the things that decks run on (the sceptile theme deck came with a Guzma and an instruct). I probably pick them both up for games with my friend for the lols as we play competitively

The Last Shaymin

Floof
wheeeeeee

this is a horrible idea

Correction: Its a good idea.

If you are looking to enforce bad deck building, get an angry playerbase, and annoy competitive league-goers this is genius.

because guess how many parents are going to buy this for their little children for christmas and go to a league looking for results?

and guess how much results they will get?

wheee

IvanAipom93

Ice/Electric type member
I think we should not get too mad about this, because it's exactly what it says on the tin: a deck for younger audiences. Yes, it is at least questionable to teach them to play with more Pokémon and less trainers. But still, I remember older decks being full of Pokémon and with just less than 10 trainer cards (including switch, energy search and potion... and that says it all). So it's nothing too new or shocky. Experienced players will only buy this for collection, and only if they want it, while low-experience players will buy a normal theme deck - this is for new entries, and especially for children :)

Senorsmith

Aspiring Trainer
In Japan, many of the past premade decks had a little manual how to play, but also had a section with “if you had THESE cards from the biggest baddest latest set, you can make the deck better!!” I can see that being done in a way with these. But honestly, a fair amount if the pokemon in the decks were not useful at all, such as a single torkoal, or an incomplete evolutionary line. So it created holes for the player to fill in with cards they got from packs.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Children should learn how to PLAY THE GAME.

I feel like you're treating this the wrong way. Now I'm not going to say this product is worth it but you're also assuming every young child is going to get this and go to a league and never know how to play the game.

I'm sure a lot of children who get this are going to just like looking at the nice little Pokemon they have, or just pretend to play their own game. I know a lot of little kids have just pretended to battle Pokemon with their little collections and all that.

Now, someone interested in getting into the game? Then I agree with you, getting this is not a good idea. But they, or whoever is buying the product for them can always look around, ask around, consider the options, etc.

You're treating this as if literally every 4 year old who likes Pokemon wants to go to a league and become a competitive player. That's far from the case at all. It's a product for little kids, that's who it's going to sell to. Just because it doesn't appeal to you or that audience doesn't mean you need to blast it and treat it like it's a horrible sin Pokemon just committed. There's something out there for everyone, for me, for you, all of us have different tastes. So, I don't think it's a matter of "this is preventing kids from learning the game" at all, it's just giving different options to different people is all.