New 'Let's Play' Theme Decks Featuring Pikachu and Eevee!

why actual Theme Decks don't have more copies of sought after trainers

I've suspected it's to keep the scarcity of them up and to keep you buying packs. You'll spend more on packs trying to pull that trainer you want instead of dropping a set amount of money on a guarantee of 2. Unless it's Cynthia inside of a Mach Strike deck -and that is a really good theme deck.

The point that's being missed here is largely that these are for two demographics:
* Young kids just starting out
* People who just want pokemon

Young kids just starting out, trainers are hard to learn to use, so having fewer is fine. No, an adult just starting out or a 15 year old starting out shouldn't be using these. But a six year old? They won't know how to use the trainers properly, and they won't have as much fun. Start them out slow with some, then they'll learn why they want more.

And for the second group: I think it's often missed, particularly in this thread, one of the words in the title of this game.

Pokemon TCG.

"Trading card" is part of the name. That's because a _lot_ of the kids buying these are doing so solely to get a bunch of Pokemon - which is what these decks provide. They'll take the cards to school and trade them with their friends. That's what my kids do, anyway - and they _also_ play competitively (the 7 year old, anyway) and understand trainers. He still likes the theme decks.

Less trainers is bad. Trainers are the essential cards of a deck. You should put some advanced trainers in kid decks, so they could see how useful trainers are. I recommend putting in some Cynthia and ultra balls. Kids would soon understand how important trainers are.

Theoretically, they are functional deck, but not anywhere close to the ideal build. The garchomp deck for instance has 2 garchomps, 1 lucario and 20 fighting energy.
Yep. Ideal for casual play, but to be ideal needs more money tossed at it. o_O

I know you don't like this product, but here's a great idea. You don't have to buy every single Pokemon TCG product out there. I think it is pretty obvious that these are for little kids. It's like complaining how you are playing baseball, and those made for 6 years and under T-balls don't travel as far off the bat.

Trainers are cool and all, but it doesn't mean jack squat if kids get turned off by them.

This product is made for me. It's preconstructed.

Last edited:
I don't think this is as terrible as it seems the consensus here is. Yes, kids come to league with piles of cards that aren't decks. That's going to happen regardless. However, this is a simpler deck at a lower price point. It it going to win at a tournament? No. Are they even going to win a ton? Probably not.

That’s the problem. Kids will have fun until they lose constantly and they’ll lose interest because they can’t see the forest for the trees. Trainers make up about half of any typical successful build, casual or not. Having two decks marketed toward younger player that goes about ignoring an important aspect of the game is going to leave a lot of new League-goers confused as to why a Pokémon-heavy deck just doesn’t work.

However, what if a parent has two kids who like GO/Let's GO, but they themselves don't know how to play the TCG.

People who are starting off will probably pick these up or the theme decks. The more successful kids and parents ask in FB groups, here, Reddit, go to a League, etc. and see what the best stuff to get it. That said, I’d say 90% of parents get stuff like this and hope for the best. But parents who play and parents of players can and should do further research if they wish to enrich their experience.

Geez, I mean, Arceus forbid they make a couple theme decks that aren't ready for Worlds. :p I think there is a great deal of bias here, probably not intentionally, because obviously people who frequent PokéBeach are deep in the TCG. However, what isn't represented here are all of the casual players who don't even know PokéBeach exists. Making claims like these products shouldn't exist suggests those people shouldn't be allowed to play the game unless they are willing to go as deep as we do. I don't think that is a fair assessment.

I’m not asking them to make Worlds read decks. The big thing I teach new players isn’t how to be competitive but more how to STREAMLINE with what they have. whether they continue with Pokemon or go to a different game, streamlining is an important problem solving aspect that goes across ALL games and streamlining is a gateway to that valuable skill. I’m willing take a bet that 8/10 players on PokeBeach get some concept of how and what it means to streamline. New players and kids don’t know all the ins and out so of streamlining and PROBLEM SOLVING. That’s what and these Let’s Go! decks DON’T ENCOURAGE. The decks pushed like this are all fluff and no substance. They could go so far as to include Trainers/Supporters of Items used in the games/anime and get more out of it. It's not a stretch.

There is opportunity to sell decks that enrich the learning process about the game and Let's Go! REALLY isn't close.

For some perspective, I went back and played a bunch of theme decks that were light on trainers and it is NOT fun to loose to the friggin PTCGO AI. The dead draws and general randomness are hell-a frustrating. The synergy so flimsy you can hardly execute the decks "strategy." We'll see what they come with I guess, but if these are structured like the theme decks of old, it's gonna be BAD.

As if we didn't already have enough advertising for the games already here comes this. Probably another useless theme deck to try to suck little kids into playing the game. :(

As if we didn't already have enough advertising for the games already here comes this. Probably another useless theme deck to try to suck little kids into playing the game. :(

AND Have collectors waste $ buying them :)

As if we didn't already have enough advertising for the games already here comes this. Probably another useless theme deck to try to suck little kids into playing the game.

AND Have collectors waste $ buying them

I think you guys are lost.

95b5ead521ce122bea2ed4ca7ad86232.png

I would buy the Eevee deck in a heartbeat if it were the Energy Evolution Eevee. This deck looks like trash, which is weird because theme decks lately have actually been pretty good. I wonder what trainer cards it will have or if there will be new trainer cards in the deck?

One last thing, Let's Go looks horrid...

Do we have enough advertisment? It's a game that costs money to develop, they need to make that back. If you want pokemon to continue to exist, they need to get the new generation into pokemon. Do you have a problem with children playing Pokemon?

Back