New Info, Screenshots, Artwork from 'CoroCoro' Reveals [8/10]

Freaking Pikachu gets Icicle Crash before Black Kyurem. Unbelievable.

As for the Megas, I like Salamence and especially Altaria, but Lopunny is dumb. I like the concept of a speedy Normal/Fighting with Scrappy, but why did it have to be Lopunny?

Drohn said:
I love the animation of Salamence. I do agree that the art look better with its legs visible, but I love it either way. We go to see the wings from the top now, so that confirms it's one huge wing rather than two wings. I'm not disappointed at all.

Contests seem to have really improved based on what we saw from Altaria. It's no longer simply selecting a move and waiting for the result, but you actually see your Pokémon performing.

I guess the special moves with costumes are limited to Pikachu. I think it would have been awesome if other Pokémon could learn moves on similar ways as well. I don't really use Pikachu at all. It's not a huge loss, though. Flying press is pretty cool on Pikachu and should help against grass-type Pokémon too.

Now that there's better, high quality art of Mega Salamence, it looks far better than how it was shown in the CoroCoro magazine. If this thing got Extreme Speed...it will pretty much become the King of Dragons. More, due to the cleaner art, its without a doubt that Mega Salamence is pretty much a futuristic-looking crescent winged fighter jet, which for its species, is just perfect because he now embodies the power of flight completely.

Aside this, having seen those contest costumes for the player characters...I really hope they can be used outside contests as well, because these costumes look FAR better than their standard versions.

Mitja said:
Hackzo23 said:
With you now being able to mega evolve in contests I think its pretty much guaranteed Milotic will get a mega.
I hope it will get the fairy type, it seems to fit it, with Gyarados getting dark type, and Milotic and Gyardos being mirrored opposites it would possibly work.
And it would work for the story line too. If Wallace is Champion, just like Diantha, his signature pokemon could mega evolve too. Cause I'm kinda hoping Steven Stones role is like it was in Emerald, where he's essentially the red of the game.

You'd think they'd have taken the opportunity to reveal it instead of Altaria then though. Heck they even make mention of Milotic in corocoro and its featured under the pokemon tab on the official site now, but no hint of a mega.

Unless they're holding it off for Wallace as a champ in an Emerald remake/ORAS sequel/whatever crazy game idea, I don't think they wanna give us Mega Milotic for now. (maybe in Z even? There was a big golden Milotic statue in the middle of the palace)

Im saying the hint is the mega evolving in contests itself. Cause when you think of contests you think of Milotic cause in order to get Milotic you had to raise its beauty to max in those contests. Milotic and Contests go hand in hand. That is the hint. Plus its a fairly popular pokemon. Its bound to happen soon, even if the whole contest thing wasn't happening.
And we still have a couple months, maybe even 3 for them to reveal it to us. Even if they didn't it doesn't mean its not gonna happen. If I remember right, for X and Y, they didn't reveal all of the mega evolutions till after the games came out. So we could have that.

I hope they at least keep the Prism Scale Trade evolution alongside the Max Beauty evolution for Milotic.

Maxing out Beauty is just really tedious and this is a way to out in case you can't get that done if you have an incorrect nature of something.

DevinTheWelf said:
Blob55 said:
Why does it look like the Magma grunts have no skin on their arms?

aug_p22_09_en_gte.jpg

Now I can never unsee.
(...)

Is this a joke about their suits that I'm simply not getting? :(...Because there' really no skin since the suit covers the whole body below the neck and must be a jumpsuit!

I've been away for a few days (I went to Cleveland to see the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame) and suddenly saw all this info that came out, so I'll just comment on everything here that's been revealed.

Megas
Mega Altaria = cuddly <3 I like the Dragon/Fairy combination. Altaria always seemed overshadowed by every other Dragon-type in existence, but with Mega Altaria's typing, that's not an issue anymore.
Mega Lopunny = awesome, and Scrappy is a useful ability for it.
Mega Salamence = a few weeks ago, I had a calzone at an Italian restaurant. The pepperonis in it were waaay too thick for me. X_X When I could, I separated them and just ate the cheese. That's what Mega Salamence's wing reminds me of: those extremely thick pepperonis. But, I do like that it looks like a jet.

Contests
The contest stage and that Elegant Outing look amazing! I like that the cosplay Pikachus can battle and each get a move they can use which represent their outfits or occupations. Lisia is Mega Ampharos level of fabulousness. I like that you can wear some of the cosplay Pikachu outfits too. Brendan and May look just as spectacular in the outfits as the Pikachus.

Horde Battles
This is awesome and I'd been hoping for something like this since horde encounters were revealed for X and Y. I hope there are a fair amount of them.
Can anyone discern the location in the Magma grunt horde pic btw? Is that Slateport's harbor when they steal the submarine, or is it the team's hideout?

Shiny Beldum event
I always get Pokemon games the day of their release, so I'll definitely be getting it. I could add it to my team, but then I'd have two Psychic types. Maybe I'll save it for the battle facility (hopefully the Battle Frontier) since I plan to use Metagross there anyway.

Leaf_Ranger said:
DevinTheWelf said:
aug_p22_09_en_gte.jpg

Now I can never unsee.
(...)

Is this a joke about their suits that I'm simply not getting? :(...Because there' really no skin since the suit covers the whole body below the neck and must be a jumpsuit!

It looks like their skin was either peeled away, or their bodies are made of wood.

Do you get a choice of which outfit you want to wear for contests? Also, can you only dress up female Pikachu?

Tails said:
I hope they at least keep the Prism Scale Trade evolution alongside the Max Beauty evolution for Milotic.

Maxing out Beauty is just really tedious and this is a way to out in case you can't get that done if you have an incorrect nature of something.

I hated it too. I also hated in the Manga, how Ruby managed to max out all of the contest stats on his Pokémon, even though you can't do that in the games.

What's the deal with Mega Salamence having glowing red ribs?? It's awesome, sure, but kinda freaky.
tumblr_na3hjgFYa51qkz08qo4_500.gif

Horde Trainer Battles sound really cool, but I have a feeling that they won't be too tough or use much of their potential.

Cosplay Pikachu is too fun for me not to use; I hope it can be put in Pokemon Bank so I can end up with 2 of them in AS (because I buy both versions and could do this if Bank lets me!). Cosplay double battles, pleeeeeeeeease!

Photos with Pokemon will be really cool, and Contests are going to be very fun again. I think ORAS is going to have way more replay value than XY, even without Battle Frontier-type stuff!

Still no word on the Friend Safari or regular Safari, so I hope we hear about them soon =/

bigfootaus said:
What's the deal with Mega Salamence having glowing red ribs?? It's awesome, sure, but kinda freaky.
tumblr_na3hjgFYa51qkz08qo4_500.gif

Horde Trainer Battles sound really cool, but I have a feeling that they won't be too tough or use much of their potential.

Cosplay Pikachu is too fun for me not to use; I hope it can be put in Pokemon Bank so I can end up with 2 of them in AS (because I buy both versions and could do this if Bank lets me!). Cosplay double battles, pleeeeeeeeease!

Photos with Pokemon will be really cool, and Contests are going to be very fun again. I think ORAS is going to have way more replay value than XY, even without Battle Frontier-type stuff!

Still no word on the Friend Safari or regular Safari, so I hope we hear about them soon =/

I hope they don't just build up on the Contests, as we need more than just Gyms, E4 and Contests to keep us going! This is why I had to resort to played Pokémon XD again, as it has Battle CDs, Battle Bingo, Mt. Battle and Orre Colosseum. A lot of emphasis on battling, true, but at least it's more than just Gyms + Contests (Or equiv) + post-game Tower thing.

Blob55 said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

It looks like their skin was either peeled away, or their bodies are made of wood.

(...)

Ooooooohh! I would never guess it was that! ;) I'm going for bodies made of wood taking into account their rigid stance! Also, since they're grunts then they're expendable and so, if Team Magma ever needs wood, they can burn their own people! :p

I couldn't resist now that I know one of the possibilities:
What is a horde of Magma grunts?...A raft! :D

Leaf_Ranger said:
DevinTheWelf said:
aug_p22_09_en_gte.jpg

Now I can never unsee.
(...)

Its a common theme really, fire being so hot their skin rips off and they only have charred muscle.

SkyeVictini said:
I'm still debating whether Mega Salamence is the most awesome thing I've ever seen or the weirdest. Those wings look really sharp. I mean, that it could slice anything in half that's floating in its path!

Welp, looks like I was right when I said that. I must be psychic. :p

Anywho, all this contest news is making me revisit some repressed memories of contests in Sapphire, both insanely addicting and ungodly frustrating. It must have took me a good 20 times to finally win the Master rank Beauty contest with my Swampert. Oh, and May looks absolutely adorable in that Pop Idol costume!

Cosplay Pikachu seems like another Spiky-eared Pichu case... I bet it won't be able to be transfered to a future gen (or even the next game)...

meh... I think if they focused on only one of Altaria's offensive stats, it would be better... They say Attack and Sp.Attack get big boosts while Defense gets a slight boost... I'm guessing that translates to like, 40 points for Atttack and Sp.Attack and 20 points for Defense... That's only 110 Base attack and sp.attack, pretty low for a Mega...

I also still don't get Salamence's Defense boost... Is it because the remains of its Shelgon shell grow a bit again and it hides its forelegs into them, so it becomes more compact? Does its fused wings offer more protection?
They also don't mention any other stat, although it's obvious some of its other stats will get increased too. I just wonder why the focus on Defense?

Mega Frisbee glows now? Greeeaaaat.
Still don't like it.

With contests confirmed, I'm hoping that you can go online. That will make my day.

Metalizard said:
I also still don't get Salamence's Defense boost... Is it because the remains of its Shelgon shell grow a bit again and it hides its forelegs into them, so it becomes more compact? Does its fused wings offer more protection?
They also don't mention any other stat, although it's obvious some of its other stats will get increased too. I just wonder why the focus on Defense?

Mega Evolutions and Stats rarely make any sense. Just compare Mega Ampharos and its heavy hair, with Mega Tyranitar and its huge spikes. They should both technically lose speed, but Mega Tyranitar actually gains some speed!

steffenka said:
I like this Mega Salamence more
image_by_steffenka-d7ujpfx.jpg
than this
Mega_Salamence.png
And yes I know they're the same, I just think the artwork could have been different.
This is why I never judge a Pokémon only by it's artwork :D

A small touch, but I love how your pokemon face left in the contest scenes, instead of facing right like in all pokemon battles ever. Just some further set-up of contests as a peaceful parallel to battling, with the same moves and level of depth. I never really got into contests when I first played R/S, but they look a lot more immersive this time and I can't wait to go all-in on them.

Mitja said:
I noticed Salamences dex number is shown in a contest pic...
198...9 spots later than original, which is exactly the number of new stages from the hoenndex added in later games -.-

disappointing.

I know this probably means there won't be any more non-Hoenn pokes in the regional dex, but you never know. Maybe they'll keep the added pokemon mostly in the same order as the Natdex, so they'll be higher in the Hoenn dex. Or maybe there will be multiple dexes in the main plot, like in XY.

I'm holding out hope for Buneary and lopunnite (among others) obtainable before the postgame, though I guess after how mega stones were handled in XY I should know better. :p

That description of Mega Salamence is hilarious. Somehow I just knew that they would focus on the wing and it just slicing and dicing its way through errything.

When flying at high speeds, this wing becomes a great blade, slicing through anything loitering in Mega Salamence's way.

dmaster said:
Those wing is so smooth and sleek, I could just see it chopping other Pokemon's heads off clean in two.

I also like that they don't even try to hide the fact that its already high stats get even better. Will just end up being another tick mark for Smogon.

dmaster out.

Metalizard said:
Cosplay Pikachu seems like another Spiky-eared Pichu case... I bet it won't be able to be transfered to a future gen (or even the next game)...

meh... I think if they focused on only one of Altaria's offensive stats, it would be better... They say Attack and Sp.Attack get big boosts while Defense gets a slight boost... I'm guessing that translates to like, 40 points for Atttack and Sp.Attack and 20 points for Defense... That's only 110 Base attack and sp.attack, pretty low for a Mega...

Megamence would be better off with a huge Sp. Defense boost...

Back