Pokemon New idea for Pokemon game

I came up with an idea for a new Pokémon game, while watching the Pokémon - Orange League Series.

Just a basic Pokémon game, but this time, not choose your starter, but find one yourself and catch it. Fight Gym's and their Leaders, but not only the Kanto (or any other region's) Gym Leaders, or the Pokémon League. But more like the Series, the Orange Islands for example, fight their Gym Leaders, and compete in the Orange League. Have a team of 1-3 playable characters (Like Tracy, Dawn etc.) and join each other, explore and train together to let your Pokémon become stronger.

Travel across all Pokémon regions. In any way you want! Travel by foot, bike, Pokémon, (if possible) plane, blimp, train etc.
Catch all of the legendary Pokémon who've been discovered yet, from every Pokémon game. (Mew, Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia etc.)

Take the opportunity to become the very best, the best there ever was!

Please let me know what you guys think. I hope someday my idea becomes reality. On any Nintendo Game Console.

Pokemon is open world, the only thing you need to throw-in are sidequests. Other than that, you can roam (nearly, but you do have to follow the main story) anywhere you want. Actually pretty much after you battle the E4/beat the Champion it pretty much does just turn into open world, just make sure you have the right-leveled Pokemon to take it on.

rickoez91 said:
I came up with an idea for a new Pokémon game, while watching the Pokémon - Orange League Series.

Just a basic Pokémon game, but this time, not choose your starter, but find one yourself and catch it. Fight Gym's and their Leaders, but not only the Kanto (or any other region's) Gym Leaders, or the Pokémon League. But more like the Series, the Orange Islands for example, fight their Gym Leaders, and compete in the Orange League. Have a team of 1-3 playable characters (Like Tracy, Dawn etc.) and join each other, explore and train together to let your Pokémon become stronger.

Travel across all Pokémon regions. In any way you want! Travel by foot, bike, Pokémon, (if possible) plane, blimp, train etc.
Catch all of the legendary Pokémon who've been discovered yet, from every Pokémon game. (Mew, Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia etc.)

Take the opportunity to become the very best, the best there ever was!

Please let me know what you guys think. I hope someday my idea becomes reality. On any Nintendo Game Console.

No, too much, just too much. I doubt they could even put that much data into a game for any DS system.

I like Pokemon games the way they are, honestly. The only thing I would love to see more of are post-story quests. Kind of like the Battle Frontier in Gen 4 (right?). Where there is always something else to do. That is what I would like more of.

Equinox said:
No, too much, just too much. I doubt they could even put that much data into a game for any DS system.

Micro SD cards can hold upwards of 16gb. It's not a question of 'can they?', it's 'will they?'.
And anyway, I don't think I would be the only one supporting a 2D game of that size came to Consoles or Wii-Ware or...Wii-U-Ware. 3/DSi Ware might be a push.

Perhaps not an open 3D world, but a majorly enhanced 2D world. Actual towns and cities. More and more trainers to fight. Changing some of the mechanics needed for this wouldn't effect the game too much. At least not enough so the competitive battling side would get annoyed or shiny hunters would be forgotten about.

Why are there people saying "There should be a Pokemon game for the Xbox." It's Pokemon, by Nintendo. It's for Nintendo systems only. The same as Mario, Zelda, Metroid and other Nintendo franchises. If there is ever a Pokemon game for the Xbox, I'll eat my hat. Which I do not own. I'll buy a hat, call it mine, then eat it. Nintendo won't give away it's unique characters to another company, because it sells systems because of their popularity. How many people bought a DS just to play Pokemon? I know I did, and I'm not in the minority. A lot of my friends did as well.

Looking ahead, I do hope they make an online Pokemon game for the Wii U. A lot of fans seem to want an 3-D, online Pokemon adventure type game. I hope Nintendo is listening to them.

I did find it rather off that people actually thought that Pokemon would be sold for another console if they were to sell them on other consoles then their profit would dramatically decrease. You can play Pokemon for the PSP and on your phone, it's just knowing how to do it ;)

I would like the same mechanics but that you could go to different regions as in HGSS but to all. And that there weren't just 8 gyms. Making at least 12 per region and you could choose.

Shining Raikou said:
Why are there people saying "There should be a Pokemon game for the Xbox."

Because Trolls be Trollin'. Don't feed them.

I wouldn't trust Nintendo to create such a game. It'd decently done, but not what we expected or fully want. Nintendo takes fantastic games, and makes them just great-- they take games at 100%, and scale it to about 80-85%, simply because they need to make it child-friendly or...well, I dunno, fit it in with the design of every other game they have?

The Pokedex 3d is a prime example-- it should have been released with all Pokemon unlockable, but took them until this fall to release the rest, in one bulk slate. The features I thought it had while reading some of the promos on the website turned out to be something completely different, while the features I really wanted are being released in the fall. The graphics for the Pokemon were certainly bland for my tastes considering the power and ability of the 3DS. Granted, NOW, it makes sense, considering they have 600+ Pokemon to store on there, but it would be nice to see a little more detail-- It's a Pokedex, after all, you use it to study and learn about the Pokemon!

Online capabilities are limited in Pokemon games-- mainly because they want to protect the children. And that's fine. But there's SO much more potential to be had when you can actually communicate between players for battle, trading or for just making friends.

HGSS was, to me, a revolutionary game to the Pokemon series. half 2d and half 3d, looks beautiful, brought back so many good memories, and MOST IMPORTANTLY YOU COULD HAVE A POKEMON FOLLOW YOU! A simple aesthetic change made me Pre-order this game the day I heard about it. Yet a feature like that SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN FROM THE START. Or...at least should have stayed since Yellow.

It's OBVIOUS features like that I'm sure we've all wanted in some way or another.

I think most importantly we'd like to see the same game, just...better. Let me take my Pokemon out, let me customize them or myself ever so slightly, and let me be creative with my player or how I go about the game! We see the magic that happens in the Anime and Manga, let us be a part of that magic too!

No gym leaders, no elite four, no organizations, no rival. Emphasize exploration over story. All effort that would have gone into developing that stuff goes into making a bigger region with more areas and more ways to get Pokemon. I love Pokemon, I avidly watch to see what developments come up in the franchise, but I've stopped playing after Diamond and Pearl because I can't play the same game again. (New Pokemon or not.) Therefore, I want to see all the tired stuff go away at least once, keeping only the basics and building on them.

Customizable character look. Why hasn't this happened yet? It's REALLY not hard. (And that's not me whining about stuff I don't understand.)

How about some more in-depth NPCs? Zelda Skyward Sword had plenty of NPC based side quests that would be an excellent example.

Remember those awkward wireless hub rooms, and that wifi plaza from Platinum? Those were a step in the right direction, but let's just have a wifi city. It's basically an enclosed area where you can interact with other players on Wifi, chat, trade, battle, etc. Think of it like a.... mini MMO zone. This of course, is... less simple in practice....

Minecraft style item crafting. Get the materials, make the item. The more material, the more items. Remember Kurt the Pokeball maker?

I'd definitely be in favor of a 3D open world Pokemon game, although I'd be fine with something like Colosseum and XD, they were good enough IMO. They need to be making more of those games and less games like Stadium and Battle Revolution, which amount to little more than Battle Tower esque DLC disguised as a full game. Also, I'd like to see a spinoff with real time battling, that'd be pretty fun.

chaoswr said:
No gym leaders, no elite four, no organizations, no rival. Emphasize exploration over story. All effort that would have gone into developing that stuff goes into making a bigger region with more areas and more ways to get Pokemon. I love Pokemon, I avidly watch to see what developments come up in the franchise, but I've stopped playing after Diamond and Pearl because I can't play the same game again. (New Pokemon or not.) Therefore, I want to see all the tired stuff go away at least once, keeping only the basics and building on them.

Although I do think that the general Pokemon formula has withered down a bit, Pokemon is so replayable that it can develop slower as a franchise, with the spin-offs only being made for experimentation. I mean, I can play the classic Pokemon games constantly. You make it sound like an Elder Scrolls game more than anything else. Open world, developing skills, making items, which does actually sound awesome.

The things you're cutting out, however, are Pokemon tradition. Most game genres, specifically an RPG, needs a main story and something to achieve. Although there could be many things to do in an Elder Scrolls type Pokemon game: Breeding, Training, Tutoring, Studying Pokemon lore and so on; in the end the majority of people will want to be able to train and fight Pokemon which will need to be supported in some way or another.
I'd like to see the Pokemon League done the way the anime does it. Online tourneys of different rank would be awesome.

Let's just try to not make it Pokemetroid.
chaoswr said:
Customizable character look. Why hasn't this happened yet? It's REALLY not hard. (And that's not me whining about stuff I don't understand.)
Set types of hair to choose from, set types of clothes, many colours. I could easily see it happen. A field day for sprite artists. Hey, maybe the fashion case could alter the Pokemon's appearance. Add a cute little pink bow to my cute little wigwywuff.

chaoswr said:
How about some more in-depth NPCs? Zelda Skyward Sword had plenty of NPC based side quests that would be an excellent example.

If it's an open world you want then yeah, better side quests are needed. I'd reffer to Elder Scrolls again but I think Skyward Sword is just right.

Although I do think that the general Pokemon formula has withered down a bit, Pokemon is so replayable that it can develop slower as a franchise, with the spin-offs only being made for experimentation. I mean, I can play the classic Pokemon games constantly. You make it sound like an Elder Scrolls game more than anything else. Open world, developing skills, making items, which does actually sound awesome.

The things you're cutting out, however, are Pokemon tradition. Most game genres, specifically an RPG, needs a main story and something to achieve. Although there could be many things to do in an Elder Scrolls type Pokemon game: Breeding, Training, Tutoring, Studying Pokemon lore and so on; in the end the majority of people will want to be able to train and fight Pokemon which will need to be supported in some way or another.
I couldn't replay the old Pokemon games... I've been playing every one so far, and then I stopped halfway through Black Version. Then I used the new monsters in the Pokemon online battle simulator and I felt like I'd about gotten the full 5th gen experience. Clearly dropping gyms and the evil organization are my personal preference (and I won't be holding my breathe for it to happen), but if I could only change one thing for the next game, that would be it. Of course my exploration based direction isn't the only way to go. Pokemon Colosseum took things in a much more story driven direction, though I believe that Pokemon thrives more in a sandbox type environment. I also realize I'm not thinking of the younger audience. I'm 19 and love game design, and so could easily be pleased with mechanics alone, while my younger sisters would not be nearly as drawn in without the mission of becoming the very best like no one ever was.

Also, I've never played the Elder Scrolls games but I'm sure I would like them.

I'd like to see the Pokemon League done the way the anime does it. Online tourneys of different rank would be awesome.
Yes please. I could perhaps see this as a special national league after the regular regional one. Of course if it were up to me, I'd make the player have to beat some trainers with more gnarly Ai before getting thrown into that.

chaoswr said:
Pokemon Colosseum took things in a much more story driven direction, though I believe that Pokemon thrives more in a sandbox type environment.

Why can't we have both?

Why can't we have both?
Time and money. I suppose it's not impossible, but usually when you want to hit the extremes sacrifices must be made in other areas. Unless Nintendo suddenly decides to give the Pokemon franchise as much attention as the Smash Brothers series and pump Game Freak with workers, the games will probably continue to be of about the same scope as they are now. As they stand,Pokemon games lean a little more in the sandbox direction, with a little more than enough story for you to not need a personal agenda in the game. It's why people often say "You never actually beat Pokemon games." because you can decide to have more things to do.

And on topic, I'd definitely like to see new areas released as downloadable (possibly purchased) content. Perhaps the game has a dock that you can get tickets for, and then sail out to the newly downloaded islands.

chaoswr said:
Time and money. I suppose it's not impossible, but usually when you want to hit the extremes sacrifices must be made in other areas. Unless Nintendo suddenly decides to give the Pokemon franchise as much attention as the Smash Brothers series and pump Game Freak with workers, the games will probably continue to be of about the same scope as they are now. As they stand,Pokemon games lean a little more in the sandbox direction, with a little more than enough story for you to not need a personal agenda in the game. It's why people often say "You never actually beat Pokemon games." because you can decide to have more things to do.

I thought Colosseum/XD was almost there, the only difference is that the major areas in the game are disconnected. So all they really need to do is put routes in between, and you'll get something along those lines.

chaoswr said:
And on topic, I'd definitely like to see new areas released as downloadable (possibly purchased) content. Perhaps the game has a dock that you can get tickets for, and then sail out to the newly downloaded islands.

Event islands say hi. Although DLC similar in size to the Battle Zone would be awesome, though.

Back