New Black/White-On Format Speculation

thundering

Aspiring Trainer
With the announcement of this new modified format extending from BW Onwards as a non-rotating format, can anyone shed some insight into what cards are going to, in their opinion, see an increase in play, or what deck archetypes might blossom?

Mora

Don't Panic
BW-NVI are really the only sets that will be added to the current format. There's nothing important in those sets except for what's been reprinted. The only change I think we'll see is that Eels will make somewhat of a comeback. This will be a lot more interesting as we get even more sets added to this new ~Unlimited format.

Blah

DBT
Eels is gonna be insane with the catcher nerf. We'll have a few more sets by the time this format starts up, but as of now I'm having a hard time thinking of anything that could consistently beat Eels.

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
Rayeels more specifically will be so good. You can consistently get 1-hit KO's and it gets set up relatively easily. It doesn't necessarily rely on items either.

CFOURCOLTSFAN

Aspiring Trainer
Rayeels in my opinion is clear BDIF and I don't think it's reasonably close unless they print something super specific to beat it. The worst matchup I can think of is Landorus/Garbodor variants but you can "fix" that with heavy scrapper counts.

Blah

DBT
^ If Klinklang became popular (which I'm not sure it would due their being a ton of ways to get around it), it could just tech Victini NV and it would pretty much auto win (considering Rayeels most likely runs Super Rod too). Klinklang had a notoriously bad matchup against Rayeels during the BW-PLS format since most Rayeels teched 1 Victini.

Garbodor is honestly the only thing the deck would be really afraid of, and Scrapper mitigates that too an extent. The reason Eels often struggled in the past was due to early game pressure and Catchers killing every Tynamo in sight, and that problem is pretty much gone. The only reason Rayeels probably won't be broke beyond belief is that it suffers from the same problem as Blastoise nowadays, which is that despite an extremely high damage output, it's possible to work around since it's so predictable. (Unless the Rayeels player runs catcher, but that still relies on a coin flip.) We also have to see what the next few sets bring.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special
^ If Klinklang became popular (which I'm not sure it would due their being a ton of ways to get around it), it could just tech Victini NV and it would pretty much auto win (considering Rayeels most likely runs Super Rod too). Klinklang had a notoriously bad matchup against Rayeels during the BW-PLS format since most Rayeels teched 1 Victini.
Oh, right. Forgot about that annoyance. So, yes, RayEels is looking more and more like the BDIF. Eels will need still high counts of Switch though, as it can't reliably catcher around Snorlax (who is becoming increasingly popular) anymore. Snorlax can OHKO Rayquaza, though it will probably be revenge killed and then the Plasma player loses a ton of energy.

Frost Mage

Pegasususus
Scorched Feathers said:
Oh, it was announced along with NXD-On. Eels will return!
The OP said that it's non-rotating... What does that mean? Also, do you mean that it was announced when NXD-On was announced?

JungleBeatz

Financial Genius
The general consensus is that Eels and Klang will comeback. These decks will probably fade when we get some superior X&Y cards because its BW onward (the equivalent of Magic the Gathering's Modern Format). I'm sure Eels due to popularity will be stay in for awhile until it gets a hard counter.

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
Frost Mage said:
Scorched Feathers said:
Oh, it was announced along with NXD-On. Eels will return!
The OP said that it's non-rotating... What does that mean? Also, do you mean that it was announced when NXD-On was announced?

Pretty much, this will be the new Unlimited, and yes, it was announced then :).

ahg3117

Aspiring Trainer
Could anyone else see Genesect/Virizion working with G-Scope instead of G-Booster, and running other high damage output attackers to make up for the loss of G-Booster? Instant OHKO on Eels.

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
ahg3117 said:
Could anyone else see Genesect/Virizion working with G-Scope instead of G-Booster, and running other high damage output attackers to make up for the loss of G-Booster? Instant OHKO on Eels.
Eels runs mime though. G-Scope doesn't actually hit through mime.

Frost Mage

Pegasususus
Scorched Feathers said:
Frost Mage said:

Pretty much, this will be the new Unlimited, and yes, it was announced then :).

So the next rotation will be BW-On? ;-; What do you mean that it will be the new Unlimited? Sorry, I'm still confused for some reason.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
Frost Mage said:
So there will be a BW-on format and a NXD-on format at the same time? :s

There will be a BW-On Format as an ALTERNATE format(I hope so) and the (I assume) BCR-On Format as the official one.