New Black/White-On Format Speculation

I think P!P/TPCi was much better off having this format be Diamond/Pearl-On instead of BW-On with a Banned/Restricted List as Standard/Modified would be the only format that doesn't have a Banned/Restricted List due to sets getting rotated out. The reason why this new format would have a Banned/Restricted List is due to the supposed power creep of the Diamond/Pearl expansions as well as those of the Platinum and HeartGold/SoulSilver blocks. In retrospect, DP-On as well as MD-On for the most part were much more diverse than BW-On and NXD-On in terms of more playable decks with the exception of SableDonk that triggered the last Mid-Season Rotation in the TCG's Standard/Modified format.

The only cards I think that would get Banned or Restricted in this supposed Diamond/Pearl-On format but instead is BW-On for no apparent reason would be Sableye from Stormfront (J-Wittz has a YouTube video explaining why) and Junk Arm (making Catcher functional again like it did with Reversal) although aside from that we'd get back Roseanne's Research, Pokemon Collector, Claydol GE, Broken-Time Space, Professor Oak's New Theory, Cleffa HGSS, Seeker (fun with Jirachi EX and Super Scoop Up), Shaymin (HGSS Unleashed), and of course Machamp SF to "Take Out" Big Basic EX's which should be easier with the nerf on Catcher as long as it doesn't get OHKO'ed by Mewtwo EX or Mew EX. There is a possibility that Claydol GE might replace Tropical Beach in decks that can't afford them in Stage 2 Setup decks.

What's the point of having the format be BW-On instead of DP-On when all we'd get back are Eels and Benchtini which would hit VirGen hard in Empoleon /Dusknoir? Rayquaza EX becomes playable again with Eels back in the format but it was already playable with Emboar as long as you ran 2-3 Tropical Beach or a 1-0-1 Delphox tech for Mystical Fire which is actually pretty laughable compared to Beach. Instead of adding back 3 sets that recently got rotated in a separate format from Standard/Modified you'd have a much bigger and playable card pool in a DP-On format which would pave the way for a more diverse metagame with possibly a Banned/Restricted list keeping the format in check. P!P/TPCi is just being lazy at this point by taking the easy route with a separate BW-On format instead of DP-On where they could be as responsible for managing it as Wizards of the Coast has with their own formats in Magic: The Gathering.

The problem with that is that many people have the old BW sets as opposed to the DP and HGSS sets. If they make it back to that then olden cards regain a much higher value and become even more rare.

I get what you're saying but what's the point of P!P/TPCi creating a separate BW-On format from Standard/Modified when it doesn't add anything to what we already have in the current format let alone what we get in X and Y? BW-On and NXD-On would really be very identical formats bar from Eels and Benchtini. The only difference between the two formats would be that the BW-On format won't have a rotation system and the current NXD-On format still would.

Card Slinger J said:
I get what you're saying but what's the point of P!P/TPCi creating a separate BW-On format from Standard/Modified when it doesn't add anything to what we already have in the current format let alone what we get in X and Y? BW-On and NXD-On would really be very identical formats bar from Eels and Benchtini. The only difference between the two formats would be that the BW-On format won't have a rotation system and the current NXD-On format still would.
Diamond and Pearl packs are no longer available to the majority of the public. B/W packs still are available and will stick around for a while. To create a D/P on format pokemon would have had to announce it back when D/P packs were still widely available.

Sucks to hear that Diamond/Pearl, Platinum, and HeartGold/SoulSilver series booster boxes and packs are out of print and production. You can still buy singles for them on eBay can't you? Even still getting singles alone won't make up for not being able to get booster boxes and packs for sets that are out of print for a DP-On format to function. I still probably would've preferred If P!P/TPCi not make a BW-On format with no rotation system and stick with what we already have now.

They should've planned this out 5-6 years ago but instead they waited til the last minute to do anything about it. I don't see any value in playing a BW-On format that from now and the next few years will be nearly identical to the current Standard/Modified format we have right now being NXD-On. I'm glad that this BW-On format has no rotation system assuming that it will function the same as MTG's Modern format but aside from that at least Wizards of the Coast planned that format out much better than what P!P/TPCi is doing with this seperate BW-On format.

Back