Discussion Neglected Pokémon in the TCG

ProcInc

Aspiring Trainer
Mega Pokèmon are still around in Gen VII but will likely not be introduced in the Gen VII cards. If the last few Pokèmon don't get a card soon then they may never get one.

I've been wrong before but I suspect they may not get a card at all.

AccelJow

Aspiring Trainer
It's a bit of a shame we missed out on some Megas. XY is over and we didn't get M Sableye, M Medicham, M Banette or M Lopunny. For some reason we're getting M Camerupt and M Sharpedo as SM promos so I can't complain about that. I still want to see M Sableye though.

Ninjabot 215

Beep Boop
It's a bit of a shame we missed out on some Megas. XY is over and we didn't get M Sableye, M Medicham, M Banette or M Lopunny. For some reason we're getting M Camerupt and M Sharpedo as SM promos so I can't complain about that. I still want to see M Sableye though.
It is a little frustrating that there are several megas that haven't been printed yet, presonally, I hope we get a M Banette card eventually.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Isn't Unown neglected?
I wouldn't say so. We did get one in Ancient Origins after all. I'd say Pokémon we haven't seen during one or more eras are "neglected". Pokémon like Castform (before SM2), Cranidos/Rampardos, the Baby Pokémon, the Rotom formes, Sawsbuck and of course Abra/Kadabra, are what I would consider neglected, while I also think the Pokémon with their latest cards being in the late BW-era need cards soon :)

Rooie

Aspiring Trainer
It's not quite the same thing as being neglected, but I wish they'd make more Fighting-type Heracross cards. I feel like one could actually be almost viable with Strong Energy.

Purrloin

Isn't Unown neglected?
The individual letters could be considered neglected, but Unown itself appeared in AOR. The Pokémon Company hasn't really printed different forms for a while, like Rotom; even the recent three Wormadam cards weren't different formes per se, despite having different typings. Going by Pokémon like the Shellos line and Burmy, where all forms appear in a single art, I don't think Unown will see individual letter prints for a while.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
The individual letters could be considered neglected, but Unown itself appeared in AOR. The Pokémon Company hasn't really printed different forms for a while, like Rotom; even the recent three Wormadam cards weren't different formes per se, despite having different typings. Going by Pokémon like the Shellos line and Burmy, where all forms appear in a single art, I don't think Unown will see individual letter prints for a while.
Hmm... have all Vivillon forms been in the TCG yet? For that matter, what about the Legendaries with various forms?

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Hmm... have all Vivillon forms been in the TCG yet? For that matter, what about the Legendaries with various forms?
Not all the Vivillon forms have been in the TCG (Meadow, Elegant, High Plains, Marine, Continental, Savannah and Icy Snow have been on cards). As far as I'm aware every Legendary forme (except Mega Latias, Zygarde Cell and some of the Arceus types) have had cards :)

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
It would not surprise me if Charizard, Blastoise and Venusaur got GXs this year. Least it'd bring back Squirtle and Bulbasaur.

It's not quite the same thing as being neglected, but I wish they'd make more Fighting-type Heracross cards. I feel like one could actually be almost viable with Strong Energy.

Would a neglected secondary typings thread be stepping on toes? Because it's just as bad in a lot of cases.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Are you guys considering forms for this? I think forms should be excluded if if the base of the Pokemon was printed. As long as a Rotom was printed, it should count as a Rotom print or we'll have a mess of things, like Unown and Vivillon. Maybe consider a Pokemon neglected if its change isn't cosmetic and if we do that, then we could count the Rotom forms, since it's functionally different like the Mega Evolved Pokemon.

Would a neglected secondary typings thread be stepping on toes? Because it's just as bad in a lot of cases.

I guess we could consider it because I feel that flying/colorless hasn't had any support at all.

Purrloin

Are you guys considering forms for this? I think forms should be excluded if if the base of the Pokemon was printed. As long as a Rotom was printed, it should count as a Rotom print or we'll have a mess of things, like Unown and Vivillon. Maybe consider a Pokemon neglected if its change isn't cosmetic and if we do that, then we could count the Rotom forms, since it's functionally different like the Mega Evolved Pokemon.
I take formes into consideration when there's precedence for it, e.g. the Rotom forms have each had a print with specific card names like Mow Rotom, Frost Rotom, etc.

Some Pokemon like the Shellos line have had uniquely named prints in the past -- but there's some gray area there, since the latest prints featured both formes in a single art. I think Unown is in this gray area as well. The recent Wormadam line is a bit of a gray area too because it received three different prints (Burmy didn't though), and yet they weren't named in a way to depict unique formes. (For cards that fall into this gray area I include general and forme-specific listings in my spreadsheet.)

Other Pokemon like Keldeo or Meloetta have never had specific forme prints, so there is no precedent to consider them neglected. (For Pokemon like this, on my spreadsheet I generally just include the number of arts for each forme in the Notes section instead, until such a time that they are separated by TPC.)

Yet another gray area is Meowstic, who doesn't really have different formes per se, yet its genders are functionally different. We'd almost need Meowstic F and Meowstic M cards.

So there's some room for a case-by-case basis, but in general I believe that using precedence as the factor is the most accurate.

I think it'd be one heck of a long list if we started taking typings into account. :p There's also some difficulty here since the TCG doesn't have every typing, so the typings that are there should take precedence (e.g. a water/ground Pokemon, since ground isn't depicted directly in the game, should probably be expected to be water, since it's more true to the Pokemon than fighting would be). Plus the Delta Species would make the list quite messy! :p

Last edited:

crystal_pidgeot

I take formes into consideration when there's precedence for it, e.g. the Rotom forms have each had a print with specific card names like Mow Rotom, Frost Rotom, etc.

Some Pokemon like the Shellos line have had uniquely named prints in the past -- but there's some gray area there, since the latest prints featured both formes in a single art. I think Unown is in this gray area as well. The recent Wormadam line is a bit of a gray area too because it received three different prints (Burmy didn't though), and yet they weren't named in a way to depict unique formes. (For cards that fall into this gray area I include general and forme-specific listings in my spreadsheet.)

Other Pokemon like Keldeo or Meloetta have never had specific forme prints, so there is no precedent to consider them neglected. (For Pokemon like this, on my spreadsheet I generally just include the number of arts for each forme in the Notes section instead, until such a time that they are separated by TPC.)

Yet another gray area is Meowstic, who doesn't really have different formes per se, yet its genders are functionally different. We'd almost need Meowstic F and Meowstic M cards.

So there's some room for a case-by-case basis, but in general I believe that using precedence as the factor is the most accurate.

I think it'd be one heck of a long list if we started taking typings into account. :p There's also some difficulty here since the TCG doesn't have every typing, so the typings that are there should take precedence (e.g. a water/ground Pokemon, since ground isn't depicted directly in the game, should probably be expected to be water, since it's more true to the Pokemon than fighting would be). Plus the Delta Species would make the list quite messy! :p

I can understand that but what do you think of Unfezent F? I don't think it had a print since early BW. Either way I think you got this on lock down so don't mind me. I just wanted to know what you thought of the forms.

Purrloin

I can understand that but what do you think of Unfezent F? I don't think it had a print since early BW. Either way I think you got this on lock down so don't mind me. I just wanted to know what you thought of the forms.
I'm actually glad you brought up Unfezant because I've been meaning to add its gender forms to my list. Thanks for the reminder.~

Unfezant is unlike Meowstic because it's functionally the same in both genders. So like you suggested before, when it's purely cosmetic, it's hard to say it's actually being neglected. That said, I wish Pokemon with clear gender differences were represented more in arts. I've been wanting a female Hippowdon card since DP base. :p

crystal_pidgeot

I'm actually glad you brought up Unfezant because I've been meaning to add its gender forms to my list. Thanks for the reminder.~

Unfezant is unlike Meowstic because it's functionally the same in both genders. So like you suggested before, when it's purely cosmetic, it's hard to say it's actually being neglected. That said, I wish Pokemon with clear gender differences were represented more in arts. I've been wanting a female Hippowdon card since DP base. :p

That is quite the long time to wait. It would be nice to see them do other genders for card art. Makes the world seem more lively.

TheBigE196

Aspiring Trainer
Kadabra hasn't been printed since skyridge (magician threatening to sue them) when Abra was last printed(Mysterious Treasures) it had an attack that let it evolve straight into Alakazam

crystal_pidgeot

Kadabra hasn't been printed since skyridge (magician threatening to sue them) when Abra was last printed(Mysterious Treasures) it had an attack that let it evolve straight into Alakazam

That is the reason they haven't bothered with Abra. With EX Pokemon being Basic, it was just easier to make Alakazam-EX and let it evolve into the mega. It's just unfortunate what happened to the evolution line.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
Oh wow... I just noticed how long it's been since Sunflora got a card!

Eesh... despite the amount of Nostalgia pandering in Gen 6, somehow Bulbasaur's line managed to avoid it all! Plus despite the fact that Bulbasaur was IN the Kalos Dex it wasn't in any XY sets!

Last edited:

Loaf of Slakoth

BREAD is loafing around!
Soon you'll have to update your spreadsheet again since Mega Sharpedo and Mega Camerupt just got cards yay! :D

I'm really hoping the other Megas will get cards soon because if they don't they likely never will since the TCG has moved on to GX'es.

I was just thinking about the neglected Pokemon in the TCG which brought me back to this forum. Love this thread and your spreadsheet by the way!

Mega Pokèmon are still around in Gen VII but will likely not be introduced in the Gen VII cards. If the last few Pokèmon don't get a card soon then they may never get one.

I've been wrong before but I suspect they may not get a card at all.

It is a little frustrating that there are several megas that haven't been printed yet, presonally, I hope we get a M Banette card eventually.

I really strongly believe that all of the remaining Megas will never be printed in sets but put into Mega Blaziken-esque boxes.

Purrloin

Oh wow... I just noticed how long it's been since Sunflora got a card!
Sunkern and Sunflora are definitely overdue for new cards. These two aren't just neglected in the TCG; they are largely forgotten everywhere. :(

A triumphant return in the form of a GX will help mend the wounds.