Discussion Neglected Pokémon in the TCG

Well, the evolved Pokémon don't necessarily have to be Stage 1. They could just introduce "Baby Evolution" as an ability on the Baby Pokémon, or give them an Ancient Trait'ish power, where it states that Magmar can be put onto Magby. Or they could do what they did in the HGSS era, and have them not being able to evolve, and give them something like the "Sweet Sleeping Face" in an ability. That worked for Baby Pokémon like Cleffa, Pichu and Tyrogue, who, if I recall correctly, was in quite a few decks, back during the HGSS era.

You're right. I think a good solution to the entire thing is directly link at least 1 ability or 1 move to evolving the mon into its basic. This could be like Panchamp's "Bad Influence" ability, or it could be like Phantumps "Ascention". It certainly is doable. My main issue is that the pokemon themselves would not add value to the game aside from lore. They can't be any stronger than the basics they evolve into, but actually should be weaker and thats... just not great seeing how we are vying for control of the board on T1 against 190 hp pokemon with T1 60 damage attacks...

This is what they should do, have both the Baby and the Evolution as basics, but the Baby has an ability that lets the baby evolve into the Evolution. If you do, the evolution gets some extra HP. Thats what I do in my fakes. I'll show you an example

Magby / 40 / Basic / [R]

Ability: Baby Evolution
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may put a Magmar from your hand onto Magby. If you do, Magmar gets + 30 HP

Mini Flame [R] 10
This pokemon is now asleep

Weakness [W] X 3 / [C] / 26 / C

Artwork:A Magby is trying to roast a berry

Good idea -- no, genius idea! I love this solely because it adds to my statement above in reply to Steffenka. If the baby pokemon can add combat value to whatever they evolve into, then were in business!

Isn't that basically how they were handling the baby Pokemon in early DP? Pikachu, Magmar, etc. were still basics but got bonuses if they evolved from babies? That's the most logical way to do it. The early Neo baby clause and the "Sweet Sleeping Face" stuff of HGSS were dumber solutions.

I honestly wanna see more baby pokemon as rare cards. There's one youtuber who has silent rage when he pulls baby pokemon as his rare and it makes me chuckle.

But seriously, they need to just bring back Kadabra.

Because I'll be out of town next week, I've updated my spreadsheet with the Steam Siege release a tad early. (Link can be found in sig and first post of this topic.)

But more importantly, here is the breakdown of returning Pokemon with the English release of Steam Siege!...

In Steam Siege...
51 Pokemon were last seen in XY sets.
28 Pokemon were last seen in BW sets.
1 Pokemon was last seen in HGSS sets.
4 Pokemon were last seen in PLAT sets.
2 Pokemon were last seen in DP sets.
3 Pokemon have never had cards before.*

*(this includes M-Steelix, Volcanion, and Magearna)

Over half (57%) of the Pokemon featured in Steam Siege already had cards in the Standard format. Granted, this is to be expected as the number of BW-and-earlier neglectees is reducing with each set. Overall, I'd say the distribution of returning neglected Pokemon is pretty decent, especially the high number returning from BW sets!

We're now left with 47 Pokemon in BW sets, 18 Pokemon in PLAT sets, 10 Pokemon in HGSS sets, 10 Pokemon in D&P sets... and Kadabra. :p

Honestly the baby pokemon need their own miniset like a concept pack or a raidient collection and maybe a similar thing for the fossil pokemon and then theres just the neglected pokemon with no love or fanbase except for sawsback and deerling

The upcoming Evolutions set looks like it might complete Gen 1's modernization -- that is, every Gen 1 Pokemon will have an XY-era card. The only Gen 1 Pokes we're missing in the XY-era are Blastoise, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Wartortle, Onix, Scyther, and Ditto, all of whom were last seen in mid- or late-BW sets.

The first four are a given. Onix was in Base Set so it's likely to appear here as well. Scyther wasn't in Base Set, so it depends on how strict they are with sticking to the Base Set theme (Scyther was in Base Set 2, though, as a Jungle reprint, so maybe that'll make a difference).

Ditto seems questionable. Ditto didn't appear until Fossil, wasn't reprinted in Base Set 2, and it recently got an XY-Promo print. I wouldn't be surprised if Ditto is neglected in Evolutions, though I'm certainly hoping it's not.

Outside of those seven Pokemon, there's also some unseen Mega formes of Gen 1 Pokemon, but I'm thinking they'll get a pass since they are technically Gen 6ish. There's also Abra and Kadabra, and while it's possible Abra will get a card (as either an incomplete line or as a super-evolver like its Mysterious Treasures print), Kadabra is certainly going to remain in times past.

Less than a week after making the above post, Onix was indeed revealed for Evolutions. :p Which means we're down to only six Gen 1 Pokemon without XY prints (four of which are already kinda confirmed)!

Last edited:
Kind of sad when we need to rely on a reprint set to get "new" cards of old Pokemon. :(

The upcoming Evolutions set looks like it might complete Gen 1's modernization -- that is, every Gen 1 Pokemon will have an XY-era card. The only Gen 1 Pokes we're missing in the XY-era are Blastoise, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Wartortle, Onix, Scyther, and Ditto, all of whom were last seen in mid- or late-BW sets.

The first four are a given. Onix was in Base Set so it's likely to appear here as well. Scyther wasn't in Base Set, so it depends on how strict they are with sticking to the Base Set theme (Scyther was in Base Set 2, though, as a Jungle reprint, so maybe that'll make a difference).

Ditto seems questionable. Ditto didn't appear until Fossil, wasn't reprinted in Base Set 2, and it recently got an XY-Promo print. I wouldn't be surprised if Ditto is neglected in Evolutions, though I'm certainly hoping it's not.

Outside of those seven Pokemon, there's also some unseen Mega formes of Gen 1 Pokemon, but I'm thinking they'll get a pass since they are technically Gen 6ish. There's also Abra and Kadabra, and while it's possible Abra will get a card (as either an incomplete line or as a super-evolver like its Mysterious Treasures print), Kadabra is certainly going to remain in times past.
I don't suppose you're counting Pokemon-EX? Because Blastoise had several of those in the XY-era. Also, Ditto is a promo for, I think, the PRC 3-pack blister.

I don't suppose you're counting Pokemon-EX? Because Blastoise had several of those in the XY-era. Also, Ditto is a promo for, I think, the PRC 3-pack blister.
I mentioned Squirtle and Wartortle but I didn't mention Blastoise for the reason he has had cards. :p Also I mentioned the Ditto promo too, but I don't consider promos to be a "set" per se.

Edit:
Whoops!! I just noticed the typo! I meant Bulbasaur, not Blastoise, in that earlier post!

Welp, after the latest Evolutions leaks, it looks like Bulbasaur and Ivysaur aren't going to be returning. Pretty frustrating. Annoying, even.

I was really looking forward to getting a Bulbasaur reprint. :(

At least Squirtle, Wartortle, Scyther, and Ditto are still possible as of this post. Also two new Megas (Slowbro and Pidgeot) are able to be crossed off the list.

Last edited:
What are the megas left that we don't have?
The remaining Megas which still need cards as of this post:
  1. Pinsir
  2. Medicham
  3. Banette
  4. Abomasnow
  5. Sableye
  6. Sharpedo
  7. Camerupt
  8. Latias
  9. Lopunny
Beedrill should be releasing here in October via a box. Pidgeot and Slowbro have Megas coming in November. Salamence and Garchomp have received a Mega print in Japan but they have yet to come to other countries.

Last edited:
Id love to see the return of baby mons, solely because Elekid is my favourite mon to exist. To make up for the extra-evolution they could give them a special ability similar to Steam Sieges Klefki, so theyd turn to a toolcard once they evolve. They could offer an additional ability, another attack, stat buffs... :D

Now that the JP 20th Anniversary Set is fully revealed, here's the notes regarding neglectees. Keep in mind that the SM sets start after this set, meaning some Gen 1 Pokemon will now be two card generations behind despite this supposedly being a year of Gen 1 celebration. How odd. (Since this set includes only Gen 1 Pokemon, with the exception of Megas, I haven't mentioned neglectees from other Gens; they are sadly destined to compete with SM.)
  • The Squirtle-Wartortle and Bulbasaur-Ivysaur lines are confirmed (for super duper sure) to be absent and left behind in the BW era. This is probably one of the dumbest decisions TPC has made in a while, especially hot on the heels of Go.
  • Scyther is confirmed absent, though this was expected since it didn't have a Base Set print. Also stuck in BW era.
  • Ditto is absent for the same reason as Scyther, presumably. While it has had a recent Promo print, it too is stuck in the BW era as far as non-Promo cards go.
  • The Abra-Kadabra line is absent. Expected, but would've been nice to at least see an Abra incomplete line.
  • Onix will be returning from BW.
  • At the end of the era, nine Megas total are neglected, and their fates in question due to SM's apparent lack of new Megas.
This all means that, going into the SM sets, only 8 Gen 1 Pokemon will have no recent set prints. That drops to 7 if you count Ditto's promo, and to 5 if you disregard the Kadabra line.

Anybody have any theories on when we'll see Squirtle-Wartortle and Bulbasaur-Ivysaur again? Do you think they'll be overshadowed for several more sets (or years) due to SM's arrival?

No because they're starters and that gives them a good chance of just showing up in a new set. Whether it's the Gen 4 "put all three starters from the same Generation in this set" strategy, or the Gen 5/6 "mix up the starters from each Generation across a bunch of different sets."

And if the emphasis on Megas is going away, that really increases their chances of showing up again. Venusaur and Blastoise are popular and will show up again in the future, and unless they're EX cards again they'll need their pre-evolutions.

No because they're starters and that gives them a good chance of just showing up in a new set. Whether it's the Gen 4 "put all three starters from the same Generation in this set" strategy, or the Gen 5/6 "mix up the starters from each Generation across a bunch of different sets."

And if the emphasis on Megas is going away, that really increases their chances of showing up again. Venusaur and Blastoise are popular and will show up again in the future, and unless they're EX cards again they'll need their pre-evolutions.
I don't see them sticking the Gen 1 starters into any SM sets for a while, because they'll want to focus on the new SM starters. The reason the XY sets had so many returning Pokemon is because the Gen 6 dex was so small on its own. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gen 1 starters weren't seen until at least late 2017/early 2018. (I hope I'm wrong though.)

As for the Megas, I think they might go the Mega EX Boxes route for the remaining Pokemon. With GX Pokemon in the coming sets, it'll get kinda cumbersome having EX, M-EX, and GX all in one set (plus Break, if they continue, and any other mechanics they introduce). Unless, of course, they do Mega GX instead, but that seems kinda weird.

Volcarona is a card I was expecting to get an EX card by now, if not muuuuuuuch earlier, like seriously, what is keeping them? One of the coolest Pokémon and THE coolest of 5th gen, not only that but in lore it saved all Pokémon from extinction. It's woeful that not even ONE playable Volcarona exists in the TCG, on top of there not being any EX.

Galvantula is my #2 from B&W and also needs an EX.

Volcarona is a card I was expecting to get an EX card by now, if not muuuuuuuch earlier, like seriously, what is keeping them? One of the coolest Pokémon and THE coolest of 5th gen, not only that but in lore it saved all Pokémon from extinction. It's woeful that not even ONE playable Volcarona exists in the TCG, on top of there not being any EX.

Galvantula is my #2 from B&W and also needs an EX.
They both got dual-types, at least, so you have that going for ya. ;)

They both got dual-types, at least, so you have that going for ya. ;)

No, I consider it another nail in the coffin that Nintendo hates these Pokémon from the fact that Shiftry and Bisharp (also a dual types) got to be REAL holos while Galvantula and Volcarona were both relegated to only reverse holo little league.

I am sure everyone in the company hates Volcarona and Galvantula. It's the reason I don't buy any product first-hand, only singles off the second hand market.

Edit: Though I did buy the Super premium collection pack just now because it represents a direction I would like to see them go more into, but that's just a "political" purchase :p

Last edited:
Back