Nationals/Worlds format

I completely agree with every thing you said, Blah. I by no means believe it will be tier 1 or even tier 2, but people have been known to plah the lower tiers and bad rogues/meta calls. I saw a Ho-Oh at States. (I even saw someone playing Ninjask/Shedinja, if you can believe.) I think that people will at least play with the idea. Who knows. Quad Lugia was supposed to be terrible since it had to end the game in four attacks, sometimes less. I saw a Quad Lugia get T16 in States. My frind and I threw together a Quad Lugia list the morning of and took it to T4 at a team play side event after States (where we proceeded to get first place with everyone using theme decks).

And speaking of Lugia (back on topic), I think Lugia would be really good in Thundurus/Deoxys. I don't know if everyone's list already includes that, but you can accelerate Plasma Energies onto Lugia for 40, and then use Plasma Gale for 130 to hit those 170 HP EX's.

Frozen City – Trainer
Stadium (Team Plasma)

When either player attaches an Energy to their non-Team Plasma Pokemon, place 2 damage counters on that Pokemon.

This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can’t play this card.

This is Frozen City

SheNinja said:
Or if you can only get 2 beaches then you could do 2 beach and 1 pokemon centre...
1 Pokecenter isn't a bad play, but 3 beach is much better. The problems with Tropical Beach is
A. Its very expensive (obviously)
B. You play it down first usually. That means you are setting up to lose the stadium war if you are running two or less since your opponent will get the first bounce
3 Beach is really the play, and if Frozen City is a 3 of staple in Plasmabox, you may want to go 4. Thats really the big problem with it is since you generally want it to be played T1, that opens up for your opponent to bounce it and win the stadium war in the end, which is incredibly important against decks that utilize virbank and Frozen City. I played Klinklang in KS states and placed 3rd last weekend, playing 3 beach because bouncing virbank is so important. I don't think my opponent had their stadium out for more than 2 turns the entire tournament

I would recommend, if you need 3 Stadiums, 2 Beach 1 PokeCentre. If you need 4 then 3 Beach 1 PokeCentre.

Snorlax might be good as a 1-of in PlasmaBox, I don't see it working much anywhere else. Rayeels just gets more donkable, which is a serious discouragement when deciding what deck to play, but EX's still dominate the format so it's possible Rayeels will remain viable.

It is so easy to kill Eelektriks in this format I don't think it stands a chance. However if you manage to get it set up and going it might be good

Eels being viable is discussable. A friend of mine played Ray/VictiniEX/Eels this Saturday at the Regionals and got a "wonderful" 1-4. If you go against a good deck it's kinda though, and even against more favorable match-ups, it's still hard. The deck is cool but I don't think it's tier 1 anymore.

Blah said:
Thundurus/Deoxys (or PlasmaBox which is way easier to say) is definitely going to be top-tier...but it has some issues. One is that it can run out of steam late game, and two is that it is very easily teched against via the use of Enhanced Hammer. Blastoise performs decently against it assuming you get a quick Blastoise but it's going to require 3 Tropical beach to be a viable deck anymore because of Frozen City.

Other than those two decks...I'm not really sure. Every current deck besides Darkrai seems to get murdered by the above two, and Darkrai still has some serious issues against Blastoise. It'll be an interesting format, and probably a lot better than the current horrible one, but it's very difficult to say right now what will succeed. I'm looking forward to BR results.

I honestly don't see what's interesting about a format where the game is just who has a better beatdown deck.

Eels will weaken again next set because the 40hp tynamos can't keep up with all the beatdown this format offers.

Heck, there isn't even a control deck that exists in this format lol. Everything and it's grandmother is

a.) Beatdown
b.) Beatdown with some lock (no, Garbodor and PKK are not control decks at all)

I actucally like this format more then any other yes it is ex dominanted but its better then facing a lock deck and losing in 30 +3
I remember at worlds one year I got chatter locked on my spirtomb andme and my oppent sat there for an hour just doing cosmic power because there was nothing else to do

I don't quite understand what is so good about Doexys ex and Thundurus ex... Can someone explain it to me? When I saw their scans, I dismissed them both as they seem terrible. Obviously I'm missing something.

Deoxys-EX adds damage. It's also a Pokemon. 3 Deoxys+VCG+HTL=60 extra damage
Kyurem does 120 for 3 energy. 120+3 Deoxys+VCG+HTL=180 (KO any EX in format with a non-EX? Yes, please.)
Thundurus-EX attaches energy from the discard, while doing damage. Kyurem has a steep energy cost. See the connection?

I personally don't think that it will be managable to get THAT many Pokemon out by T3, but I might be wrong. Remember last time there was a ton of hype? FluffyChomp.

No, the last deck that there was a lot of hype for was Keldeo/Blastoise. But yeah same point, that sucks too. Japan's results are always wrong because their metagame is so different.

Not always. *remembers LostGar* Okay, okay. Always. *remembers Hydreigon* Most of the time.

SheNinja said:
Deoxys-EX adds damage. It's also a Pokemon. 3 Deoxys+VCG+HTL=60 extra damage
Kyurem does 120 for 3 energy. 120+3 Deoxys+VCG+HTL=180 (KO any EX in format with a non-EX? Yes, please.)
Thundurus-EX attaches energy from the discard, while doing damage. Kyurem has a steep energy cost. See the connection?

I personally don't think that it will be managable to get THAT many Pokemon out by T3, but I might be wrong. Remember last time there was a ton of hype? FluffyChomp.

You would need PlasmaBadge for that combination though. With Lugia you could get it another prize (even though it will require the use of DCE). I haven't look at Japan, but can say that Plasma.dec, B/K and Darkrai will be what manages at the top tier.

Why would you need the Plasma tool? Everything in the deck is a Plasma Pokemon...

dmaster out.

Ka$h Money said:
I don't quite understand what is so good about Doexys ex and Thundurus ex... Can someone explain it to me? When I saw their scans, I dismissed them both as they seem terrible. Obviously I'm missing something.

Beatdown.. Just beatdown.. The deck can beat you even before you blink an eye.

Dark Void said:
No, the last deck that there was a lot of hype for was Keldeo/Blastoise. But yeah same point, that sucks too. Japan's results are always wrong because their metagame is so different.

Japan's results are sometimes wrong. There is a difference between always and sometimes. We did see them have successful Eel and Dark Hydreigon lists which did prove popular and winning here. Stop being so close minded to Japanese results. BlastKeldeo sucks? That's probably why I don't really take your word seriously as compared to the better players on this site and no wonder why people don't look at beach as some competitive TCG forum if some members just completely dismiss BlastKeldeo as "that sucks too"

Back