Nationals/Worlds format

EmmetCHH22

Aspiring Trainer
Well I have taken a look at the new set and the format coming. Looks like thunduras/deoxys is going to be the B.D.I.F. nothing else stands a chance. What do you guys think?

I've told you this like 20 times: Blastoise/Keldeo/Black Kyurem EX is still really powerful and when set up can beat D/T with Black Kyurem EX.

SheNinja said:
Have you tested yet? If you haven't you can't make that assumption.

Yes. Me and my friends have and that deck is ustoppable. Roguechomp is trying to make a counter deck to it that stands a chance but I don't know

RogueChomp said:
I've told you this like 20 times: Blastoise/Keldeo/Black Kyurem EX is still really powerful and when set up can beat D/T with Black Kyurem EX.

It is hard to set up squirtle with out them wrecking you

Super energy retrieval makes blastoise deadly. And blastoise is not hard to set up. You just have to biuld it right

Landorus/Cobalion wrecks Thundurus/Deoxys, as does Garbodor. Hammertime also gives T/D a hard time.

Plasma.dek doesn't need Deoxys's ability for Kyurem to win the prize trade easily against anything that Garbo uses. Whenever you are using Sableye to get back hammers, they can use Thundurus to get the energy back, except they're doing damage and you're not. Again, not sure how Lando or Coba prize trades well vs Kyurem considering it OHKOes Lando always and can theoretically OHKO Coba too, plus its a non-EX.

Thundurus/Deoxys (or PlasmaBox which is way easier to say) is definitely going to be top-tier...but it has some issues. One is that it can run out of steam late game, and two is that it is very easily teched against via the use of Enhanced Hammer. Blastoise performs decently against it assuming you get a quick Blastoise but it's going to require 3 Tropical beach to be a viable deck anymore because of Frozen City.

Other than those two decks...I'm not really sure. Every current deck besides Darkrai seems to get murdered by the above two, and Darkrai still has some serious issues against Blastoise. It'll be an interesting format, and probably a lot better than the current horrible one, but it's very difficult to say right now what will succeed. I'm looking forward to BR results.

Blah said:
Thundurus/Deoxys (or PlasmaBox which is way easier to say) is definitely going to be top-tier...but it has some issues. One is that it can run out of steam late game, and two is that it is very easily teched against via the use of Enhanced Hammer. Blastoise performs decently against it assuming you get a quick Blastoise but it's going to require 3 Tropical beach to be a viable deck anymore because of Frozen City.

Other than those two decks...I'm not really sure. Every current deck besides Darkrai seems to get murdered by the above two, and Darkrai still has some serious issues against Blastoise. It'll be an interesting format, and probably a lot better than the current horrible one, but it's very difficult to say right now what will succeed. I'm looking forward to BR results.
I have a feeling the format's going to be Garbodor, Plasmabox, Darkrai, and Blastoise.

The thing is, Kyurem has no way to deal with Cobalion EX. If the garbo player uses Coba EX to take out your Kyurems early, you have no way of dealing with landos late game.

Puff-Sun said:
The thing is, Kyurem has no way to deal with Cobalion EX. If the garbo player uses Coba EX to take out your Kyurems early, you have no way of dealing with landos late game.

Then attack with something else besides Kyurem. If you're really worried about Cobalion-EX, then why drop Kyurem in the first place?

RogueChomp said:

This is very true. Blastoise/Keldeo/BK is definitely Tier 1, but if you start Squirtle then you're in trouble. Also, Blastoise lists are going to need more than 2 Beaches to counter Frozen City (if it gets popular), which really screws it over.

The thing is, plasma box will be played, but once the next set comes out with Haxorus, it'll get hit hard. IMO if your playing plasma box, your just making the game boring.

Haxorus, unless for some miraculous reason Stage 2's become good again, will be terribad. It only hits Plasma Pokemon hard and it'll just get wrecked by everything else. A deck that only beats one thing doesn't win tournaments.

Also, moving to the proper forum. Not entirely sure how it ended up in Metagame Deck Discussion.

Haxorus might not be all that bad. Yeah, it's a Stage 2, and that's usually the general turn off this format with this power creep, but if Stage 2's were completely bad, we wouldn't see Blastoise and Hydreigon (the latter is still hanging on as of now). Granted those Pokemon weren't their deck's main attackers, but you get the point. The reason why I think there's still hope for Haxorus is because of the Plasma mechanic. The whole Plasma mechanic has a lot of neat stuff--Trainer-based energy acceleration from the deck, immunity to Weakness, Frozen City. I don't know anything about the meta over in Japan except Thundurus/Deoxys, but I think that if Team Plasma Badge is popular (imagine being able to Colress Machine to Mewtwo in this format), then Haxorus will be slightly more playable. Of course it goes without saying that Haxorus OHKO's any Pokemon with Team Plasma Badge attached to it. If you question whether it will be played, just think about using Colress Machine to power up something like Power Blast in one turn. I don't know what the format will be when all this is released, so at this point it's impossible to say if there will even be anything that would be able to abuse Team Plasma Badge, but as someone who loves to play around with rogues, I'm not crossing it off of my list just yet.

The instant someone sees Axew, they just won't play down the Plasma Badge and then Haxorus is dead weight (and don't even get me started on the problems that Cradily has, before that gets mentioned). And you said it yourself perfectly - the only Stage 2's that work right now are supporting Stage 2's, not main attackers. Getting a single support onto the field is much easier then getting 3-4 of them set up. If it was easily teched into decks, I would say it was great, but the fact that it's a Stage 2 means it can't be used as a tech and since it's very situational, it can't be its own deck. All of that leads to a unusable card.

Anyway, this isn't the place for this argument. Let's discuss the Nats and Worlds format instead of the next season's format.

Blah said:

What does frozen city do?

Back