Movie Box Office

RE: Movie Discussion Thread II

ShadowLugia said:
Yeah, but not for a long while. I believe it was the arc where he actually turned into a giant spider, and afterwards, he had organic web shooters. I'm not positive, though. Either way, the point is that he didn't have webs from the start, and saying that he did kinda ruined the whole transformation into Spider-Man, which was actually one of my favorite points from the new movie.

You can pick apart any comic book movie because it isn't faithful to the source in parts but I'm more concerned about how good the movie is. I thought the new Spiderman was a little better then Spiderman 1 but not as good as Spiderman 2 (which is still a great movie, you're crazy =p)

The Dark Knight Rises was amazing. That is all.

dmaster out.

I will admit that Spider-Man 2 was decent, but that was only because of Alfred Molina. (I WILL NOT DIE A MONSTER)

And I am jelly, dmaster.

@dmaster,
Did you see it at midnight, or] just now?

Don't know if this should be discussed in this topic, but did everyone hear about the shootings linked to the movie? So terrible.

Saw it at midnight and I'm actually darn glad I did if only for my own sanity. I got a little less than 10 hours of sleep after the movie where my mind was not tarnished with all the horrible events and drama that occurred elsewhere. Very tragic to have this kind of movie now associated with it.

If you can bring yourself to go to the movies this weekend, I suggest you do see this one because it truly is a great movie and try to leave all the previous notions behind you.

dmaster out.

ShadowLugia said:
I will admit that Spider-Man 2 was decent, but that was only because of Alfred Molina. (I WILL NOT DIE A MONSTER)

And I am jelly, dmaster.

One thing the first two Sam Rami Spiderman did was pick some excellent actors for their villains. Both William Defoe and Alfred Molina put on the best performance in their respected films.

Gonna be honest here and give my(unpopular)opinion on the matter: spider-man 2 is overrated. It's a good movie, but it's not a great movie like people try to make it out to be. The entire original trilogy was good- yes, even the third one was a good movie, but no one movie was just awe inspiring by any means. TAS was good, too, better than the others imo but not the best superhero film of all time by any standards. I think he also held true to the comic version too. He was awkward, smart, geeky, idealistic, kind of cocky but couldn't pull it off, shy, etc AND he had a slender body like Spider-man too. He's more attractive and kind of cool at times and I think that's what most people see and then write him off after that.

anyways, /end rant.

TDKR was a great film, it really concludes the trilogy well and gives a feeling that the films are a TRUE trilogy instead of just 3 movies sharing a main character and a similar name. It's also a stand alone great film. Terrific acting, amazing visuals and a good story. Don't want to go into more detail for risk of spoilers, but it's worth the money for a ticket for sure.

Also, I finally saw Drive this weekend and it was utterly fantastic. 5 stars.

Saw TDKR both today and yesterday, and it deserves the praise it gets, I'd recommend it for any movie night. And Captain Oats, I think you're confusing the movie with the movie-based video game, in that the game was actually good, haha.

I also saw tdkr again (midnight opening and last night) and it was just as good if not a little better the second time. Obviously the movie isn't as surprising anymore, but you really pick up on a lot more stuff and appreciate small things you maybe missed the first time. I still cried though.

idk I actually like the 3rd one. It's not great or anything but I don't hate it. The lineup is a little crowded but it still plays out decently well. Venom and sandman both deserved their own movies but fox said nope.

Weekend Box Office (July 20 - 22, 2012)

1 The Dark Knight Rises $160,887,295.00
2 Ice Age: Continental Drift $20,416,978.00
3 The Amazing Spider-Man $10,887,111.00
4 Ted $10,011,610.00
5 Brave $6,024,987.00
6 Magic Mike $4,291,432.00
7 Savages $3,398,880.00
8 Madea's Witness Protection $2,253,074.00
9 Moonrise Kingdom $1,831,471.00
10 To Rome With Love $1,420,891.00

I feel kind of bad for Spiderman. A long-awaited movie, just to be dismissed in the shadow of Batman. Wouldn't they have known that the films were releasing at similar times? Surely a delay would have been worth not being overlooked.

I saw The Darknight Rises a few days ago
Was really good... but VERY VERY predictable

I really want to see Ted or the new Spiderman movie next :D

NidoJosh said:
Was really good... but VERY VERY predictable

How so? I admit that there was a lot of foreshadowing, but the ending to the movie (including the sub-plots) were anything but predictable. To me, anyways.

It was probably predictable if you read a lot of the rumors surrounding the end of the movie. Most of those rumors ended up being true. >_>

I was still satisfied with the ending, even though it was inadvertently spoiled. Still managed to sneak in a surprise too.

dmaster out.

I didn't read anything on the movie before I saw it because I hate spoilers, but some of the twists (one big one in particular) were predictable from just knowing batman history. Still there were a lot of things in the movie that were surprising.

Dark Knight Rises is raking in cash!

I watched it today and I thought it was amazing. The plot was great and I didn't see at as predictable as you guys did. However, somethings made no sense at all.....

New Movies Coming Soon 07-27-2012

07/27/2012
Step Up Revolution
Plot: A woman arrives in Miami and dreams of making the move to become a professional dancer. She finds a kindred spirit in Sean, the leader of a street crew, but things are complicated by her father's development plans, which includes tearing down Sean's neighborhood.

07/27/2012
The Watch
Plot: A group of suburban dads decide to form a neighborhood watch group, mainly to get away from their families and hang out, but find themselves unlikely heroes when they uncover an alien plot to destroy the world.

07/25/2012
Ruby Sparks
Plot: An author suffering from a bad case of writer's block finds a novel way to find romance: he creates the most perfectly compatible woman for him, and wills her into existence.

07/27/2012
Killer Joe
Plot: In order to escape the crushing debt in his life, a young man decides to put hire a contract killer to take out his mother for the insurance and he uses his sister as collateral.

Weekend Box Office (July 27 - 29, 2012)

1 The Dark Knight Rises 64075000
2 Ice Age: Continental Drift 13300000
3 The Watch 13000000
4 Step Up Revolution 11800000
5 Ted 7400000
6 The Amazing Spider-Man 6800000
7 Brave 4237000
8 Magic Mike 2580000
9 Savages 1800000
10 Moonrise Kingdom 1387000

New Movies Coming Soon 08-03-2012

08/03/2012
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days
Plot: Greg Heffley is all set for summer vacation, but, of course, his plans for the perfect summer are ruined and he'll have to salvage the situation any way he can.

08/03/2012
Total Recall (2012)
Plot: Douglas Quaid needs a vacation from reality, and when Rekall offers him that chance, he's happy to take it. Yet something goes terribly wrong, and Quaid finds himself hunted by police led by Chancellor Cohaagen and the only way to break free is to seek out the underground resistance. Along the way Quaid will navigate memory, fantasy and reality to discover his true identity in a world turned upside-down.

08/03/2012
Plot: Fernando Meirelles, drawing inspiration from Arthur Schnitzler's classic La Ronde weaves a story of love in the 21st century across many different countries and social backrounds that all share a common narrative.

08/03/2012
The Babymakers
Plot: A man who is having no luck in getting his wife pregnant recruits his best friend to help break into a sperm bank to recover a more potent sample he donated years earlier.

08/03/2012
Celeste and Jesse Forever
Plot: A couple who are about to get a divorce try to maintain a friendship as each enters into another relationship.

Weekend Box Office (August 3 - 5, 2012)

1 The Dark Knight Rises $36,440,000.00
2 Total Recall $26,000,000.00
3 Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days $14,700,000.00
4 Ice Age: Continental Drift $8,400,000.00
5 The Watch $6,350,000.00
6 Ted $5,479,000.00
7 Step Up Revolution $5,300,000.00
8 The Amazing Spider-Man $4,300,000.00
9 Brave $2,890,000.00
10 Magic Mike $1,380,000.00