BW/BW2 Moves Pokémon should have, but don't

RE: Moves Pokémon should have but don't.

According to Watchog's PokéDex entry for B/W, it attacks predators and opponents with seeds it stores in its cheeks from Berries it eats. Oddly enough, it doesn't learn Bullet Seed. Not that that would really help, but it's interesting to note. xD

Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
Have you ever seen a Charizard try to swim? It's the equivalent of suicide.

Yeah I know but still. If you think about it in the way I am thinking about it. The move would be useful in-game and actually in the show he has that problem plus he would be dangerous in a double or triple battle if you could get it legitimately XD. That was all I was pointing out XD.It is not suicide in the VG just the TV show XD.:)

What determines what moves Pokemon know is not done in the name of coverage. It is done in the name of logic.

A Charizard would not be able to learn Surf because, although he can carry trainers on his back just fine, he would not be able to swim because, as we know, he would kill himself since his fire would be extinguished. However, Nidoking and Rhydon are both capable of learning Surf because, despite being weak to Water-type attacks in battle, they are both strong burly creatures that are easily capable of supporting a person's weight on their back. (Would you trust a non-hostile Nidoking or Rhydon to swim you to safety? I sure as heck would.)

This doesn't fully explain why stuff like Spearow (and not Scyther) are able to learn Fly, but it's a start. There are obviously holes in this logical dragnet, but they are not large enough to create things that would not ever make sense - a Spearow might be able to support a person's weight if it was a really big strong Spearow, maybe. It just doesn't allow things that would never make sense on any level, no matter how hard you try. For example, Ingrain: it is only really usable by organisms that are or are similar to plants (such as Roserade, who is one, Cradily, who also is one, and Amoonguss, which is similar to one). You would not expect, say, a Swampert to start growing and planting roots, right? We shouldn't be expecting a Charizard to start swimming either.

Long story short: What moves that Pokemon are capable of using has nothing to do with coverage. Nothing. Nothing.

Setosama said:
Already does that with it's signature Aeroblast, that's why. =/

That still doesn't mean it's right, Lugia should have gotten Hurricane as well :/

Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
A Charizard would not be able to learn Surf because, although he can carry trainers on his back just fine, he would not be able to swim because, as we know, he would kill himself since his fire would be extinguished. However, Nidoking and Rhydon are both capable of learning Surf because, despite being weak to Water-type attacks in battle, they are both strong burly creatures that are easily capable of supporting a person's weight on their back. (Would you trust a non-hostile Nidoking or Rhydon to swim you to safety? I sure as heck would.)

As far as Rhydon goes, I have a theory about that in the thread I made; reportedly, Rhydon was the first Pokémon ever created, and was probably used in game testing for Surf. Not sure what the deal is with Nidoking, though. xD

Most of these "misses" as far as movesets go is a big reason why I'm glad there's such a thing as CAP. Gives fans a chance to explain to wacky ol' GameFreak just what the heck it's all about, y'know? =D

Also, on-topic, I feel as though everything should get Flail. Even if it's not that good. xD

They do; it's called Struggle
As far as Rhydon goes, I have a theory about that in the thread I made; reportedly, Rhydon was the first Pokémon ever created, and was probably used in game testing for Surf.
Interesting theory, actually! Also makes a bit of sense.
As for Nidoking...his movepool is about as strangely gigantic as Tyranitar's and even I'm not totally sure why, but I like it.

HA, good point! Struggle is so silly, though. XD

And thank you! It's just sorta one of those things that clicked in my mind after doing some research. =D

On the flip side, there are a lot of Pokémon that have moves that you wouldn't really expect anyway, y'know? I feel as though GameFreak cares about half the time, then they realize that they can just kinda make up whatever they want. XD;

Also, I feel as though Pidgeot should get ExtremeSpeed since, uh, it can fly at Mach 2 apparently. It even gets Quick Attack, for cryin' out loud! >_>

Bushy said:
Also, I feel as though Pidgeot should get ExtremeSpeed since, uh, it can fly at Mach 2 apparently. It even gets Quick Attack, for cryin' out loud! >_>

If Pidgeot flies at Mach 2, then Jynx can run faster than that. Seriously, check the base stats.

I'm going to second/third/whatever the Scizor/Giscor w/Crabhammer thing. Also, on the topic of Gengar learning Aura Sphere, the "Dark Pulse is Aura" argument seems good at first, but then it also means that Honchkrow, Tyranitar, etc. should also get Aura Sphere because they learn Dark Pulse. And I do not think that that would make very much sense.

Aura Sphere = Pulse Bomb

Dialkia198 said:
If Pidgeot flies at Mach 2, then Jynx can run faster than that. Seriously, check the base stats.

Yeah... As much as I love PokéDex flavor text, a lot of it probably isn't true. xD;

Also, Amoongus should learn all the other Dance moves aside from Rain Dance, according to it's PokéDex entry. Though I'm not sure what Pokémon would be attracted to a PokéBall mushroom thrashing about like a Dragon... XD

Dialkia198 said:

If you want to go for base stats, I can tell you that Dragonite, which learns ExtremeSpeed, and is said in its Pokédex entry that it can circle the globe in 16 hours, has a speed stat of 80, making it effectively slower than Pidgeot (and a lot of other Pokémon).

Bushy said:
According to Watchog's PokéDex entry for B/W, it attacks predators and opponents with seeds it stores in its cheeks from Berries it eats. Oddly enough, it doesn't learn Bullet Seed. Not that that would really help, but it's interesting to note. xD

It learns no seed based moves (unless it learns something to do with them via BW2 Tutors) at all.
Trollfreak strikes again.

But Dark Pulse itself is described as a dark aura, which would basically mean it can shoot out Aura, as well as use it, so it makes sense.

Equinox said:
That still doesn't mean it's right, Lugia should have gotten Hurricane as well :/
Fun fact; Lugia actually HAS Hurricane in the Pokemon Trading Figure Game.

Back