Ruling Modded card art

Linadra

Aspiring Trainer
In other TCGs it's quite common for a player to either mod the art of the card themselves, or have another artist do it for them, as long as the MAIN points of the card were not changed.

Example: In Yu-Gi-Oh! you can mod the art of the card as long as the "Attack/Defense" are not changed or covered (including their text box) and their level star locations, and you must not change the text box for the effect.

Is this allowed in Pokemon as well? I've been a judge for awhile but have yet to see this subject come up and cannot find any ruling stating that it's not legal, but none stating that it actually is.

It is not legal to do so. This also includes autographing cards. I believe it is in the Tournament Rules document, but I know it isn't allowed.~KA

King Arceus said:
It is not legal to do so. This also includes autographing cards. I believe it is in the Tournament Rules document, but I know it isn't allowed.~KA
It is in the document, actually! Specifically, the TCG Tourney Rules document.

1.6. Fake Cards
Only genuine Pokémon TCG cards may be used in PLAY! Pokémon events. Any fake, reproduced, or counterfeited cards must be removed from all players’ decks before the start of the tournament. Those that are not may be subject to confiscation by the Tournament Organizer.

1.7. Proxies
Player-made proxies are considered to be fake cards and should be treated as such in all ways. Players should ensure that the cards in their decks are in good condition before attending a tournament so as not to create a marked-card situation.
An orica would be considered a player-made proxy, and thus would not be permitted in an official sanctioned tournament.

Back