Minor Notices & Staff Changes Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Minor Notices & Staff Changes (Latest Announcement: Post #83)

Wouldn't it be a good idea to lock this thread to prevent flames like this from happening again?

doublenikesocks said:
Wouldn't it be a good idea to lock this thread to prevent flames like this from happening again?
This is a generic thread to post changes in staff. Some people are just taking this way too seriously.

doublenikesocks said:
Wouldn't it be a good idea to lock this thread to prevent legitimate discussions regarding modship and member input upon decisions made by the higher ups like this from happening again?

Fixed for you.

I'm disappointed that when a member posts their doubts over a new change in Pokebeach and backs up their argument with reasoning (whether or not I agree with this reasoning is irrelevant, but its still reasoning) other members and mods complain that he is flaming, whining, and having an attitude. From there on the thread has simply become members complaining about other members.

I personally am not entirely convinced of Nigel's qualifications for being a Super Moderator, but I am willing to give him a chance to prove himself to the rest of Pokebeach.

Well, regardless of who says what, Nigel's position is set in stone. I think DNA raised some valid points and he has every right to voice them, but in a time of forum tension it is easy to misread the tone of a critique and from there a dispute can be all but inevitable.

One thing we can all agree on is that current discussion of Nigel's appointment, while done with the best intentions, isn't really accomplishing anything. If you want what is best for the forums, I'd suggest you give him a try and make him feel welcome and respected. Let's not think about "when he screws up", how about we instead recognise that here we have a guy who's willing to invest time and effort into the forums and that in kind we should at the very least give him the benefit of the doubt and support him.

Typed from smartphone so sorry for awkward presentation/phrasing etc of post if there is any.

HypnoticLuxray said:
I'm laughing at everyone who tried making an argument against or for Nigel.

Wow, just wow.

What happened:

DNA stated his opinion. He got flamed by Bippa and Celebi. So he started getting a "tude" as SR puts it. That's pretty natural.

Now, I don't really know either of the new super-mods that well. The only impression I got off of Nigel was Nigel Thornberry, which didn't make a good impression, but like I said, I don't know him, so I'm not qualified to dis or support him.
Um... No? Flaming, as defined by Urban Dictionary:
1. To engage in an online argument involving unfounded personal attacks by one or more parties.
Please show me where I made an unfounded personal attack on DNA. If DNA was simply stating his opinion, I was simply stating mine: we should give Nigel a chance. If anything, DNA was the one making an unfounded personal attack on Nigel. He hasn't done anything wrong and DNA is already complaining about he's not qualified for the job when he doesn't even know half the things Nigel has done up to this point.

Furthermore, DNA has bashed probably half the staff changes we've ever made. He complained about me when I didn't even know him, he complained about Glaceon, and now he's complaining about this. And it's the same argument every time. And we take time explaining everything to him and showing him why he's wrong, but he never gets it. After awhile it gets a little old to have somebody immediately judge somebody else based off of factors like age and time spent in the job time after time and then have these people excel time after time... If my post was harsh, I'm not exactly sorry.
doublenikesocks said:
No, because then members couldn't comment on any forum changes. A more effective solution would be to give warnings to whoever continues this debate if the mods do not want it continued.

Maybe not flaming, more like bashing. Looked to me as if everyone was bashing DNA's opinions. And then everyone got out of hand for a few posts, but it seemed to calm down after awhile. So uh yeah.

And I think the best solution would to lock this until another announcement or staff change is made.

If this is an announcement thread for staff and forum updates, there's not even much to discuss in the first place. Ergo, it makes no sense for this to be an open thread.

To prevent arguements like these, couldn't we (the citizens of Pokebeach) have a vote when Mods/S-Mods/Contributors resign to vote for new people to take their place. For example, Celebi resigned, so to find a suitable person to take his place, S-Mods could nominate people that they think would be eligible for the job and we could vote on them. Not only could we have a say in what goes on around here, but arguments putting down others ability to fill a job would be (nearly) eliminated. It would be a poll vote of course.
If this happened, the Pokebeach Community could choose who their "leaders" would be.
Of course, this is my opinion so don't go hatin on me.

And that.....

was a very uncontributing post that didn't help what-so-ever.

RogueChomp said:
To prevent arguements like these, couldn't we (the citizens of Pokebeach) have a vote when Mods/S-Mods/Contributors resign to vote for new people to take their place. For example, Celebi resigned, so to find a suitable person to take his place, S-Mods could nominate people that they think would be eligible for the job and we could vote on them. Not only could we have a say in what goes on around here, but arguments putting down others ability to fill a job would be (nearly) eliminated. It would be a poll vote of course.
If this happened, the Pokebeach Community could choose who their "leaders" would be.
While it's nice to have popular opinion respected on forums, I honestly can't vouch for popularity contests. Members are selected to be staff on the basis that such members will get things done, not by how well they get along with others.

Both of you stop.

RogueChomp said:

The problem with letting members vote is it becomes a popularity contest instead of who is most qualified. Members also don't know things like warning history and some other things that go on behind the scenes.

Ok I understand. Just thought it might help, but I understand where both of you are coming from.

Well, you could let us vote, and then the people higher up in the system could assign jobs based off of that so we get some people that are hhighly respected and then S-Mods/Mods/etc. could continue keeping the votes of the people in mind.

Bob The Magical Penguin said:
Well, you could let us vote, and then the people higher up in the system could assign jobs based off of that so we get some people that are hhighly respected and then S-Mods/Mods/etc. could continue keeping the votes of the people in mind.

[smod]King Arceus[/smod] summed this up pretty well.

King Arceus said:
The problem with letting members vote is it becomes a popularity contest instead of who is most qualified. Members also don't know things like warning history and some other things that go on behind the scenes.

What I meant is that if we get people that are qualified and liked within the Pokebeach community, there wouldn't be as much arguing over who gets assigned and what not like the past two or so pages of this thread.

The task of finding every single capable member on PB for voting is near impossible. Wouldn't it be easier for the staff to pick?

I actually have an idea of my own that would put both of those ideas together seamlessly! It would combine the choices and opinions of the members with those of the staff, and overall lead to less dissatisfaction! ...hopefully.

Give me a while to craft this idea into words. Right now I only have the idea for fixing the problem, but I think I'm on to something here.

Lucky Fire said:
The task of finding every single capable member on PokéBeach for voting is near impossible. Wouldn't it be easier for the staff to pick?

Thats part of what i was going for. The staff could pick out a few and then we could vote so we get capability and likable people.

Turns into a popularity contest again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back