MegaEvolutions in the TCG

Mega Stone
Item - Tool
ACE SPEC

Attach this card to 1 of your Pokémon. At any time during your turn, you may place a Mega-Pokémon with the same name onto this Pokémon, but only while this card is attached to that Pokémon. If this Pokémon is Knocked Out, return this card to your hand.

Reggie McGigas said:
I don't get why everyone is calling this the 'awakened' stuff. It seems as if the pokemon was asleep and you just woke it up.

Because Mewtwo's film is called "Mewtwo's Awakening"? It sounds better than the "Eclair Forme" said beforehand.

Ryan Sinclair said:
Mega Stone
Item - Tool
ACE SPEC

Attach this card to 1 of your Pokémon. At any time during your turn, you may place a Mega-Pokémon with the same name onto this Pokémon, but only while this card is attached to that Pokémon. If this Pokémon is Knocked Out, return this card to your hand.

That would be the most logical card to make with the mega pokemon.

Elbow said:
That would be the most logical card to make with the mega pokemon.

Drawback of Ace Spec meaning difficulty to play more than one MegaPokémon at a time, while it stays a consistent mechanic by returning to hand. It would make Masquerain PLB an even better card! :p

RE: MegaPokemon Cards?!

FoxKin45 said:
So with the new 'Mega' Pokemon being announced, any thoughts to as if they might replace these god awful EX's and fix the power creep?

Even if they fix the power creep at this point it won't really "fix" anything for unlimited, because people will still use the strongest cards which if they "fixed" the power level back to base set days it would make every (the competitive ones) card that ramped up the power until now broken.

No... Just no...

While I love BTS to death, and it's possibly my most favorite card ever, it would be horrible for the game at this point. Just imagine a T1 Blastoise, which would be entirely possible with BTS in the format.

Clownshateu2 said:
Hm.... how about Machamp SF?:)

Mewtwo Lvl. X? :D

but on track, as much as I hate Yu-gi-oh, I think a Fusion type mechanic could really breath in new life, alloying you to remove 2 different pokemon from play/discard them and put a better pokemon from a sideboard would open up a lot of possibilities. just my 2c.

Cortel II said:
Clownshateu2 said:
Hm.... how about Machamp SF?:)

Mewtwo Lvl. X? :D

but on track, as much as I hate Yu-gi-oh, I think a Fusion type mechanic could really breath in new life, alloying you to remove 2 different pokemon from play/discard them and put a better pokemon from a sideboard would open up a lot of possibilities. just my 2c.

A Blazikenite card that acts the same way as the old Clefairy Doll, then fuses with a Blaziken to allow Mega Blaziken. Would be interesting.

NEW IN POKEMON X & Y TCG

TEAM FLARE'S BLAZIKEN LV. MEGA X PRIME EX

But in all seriousness, either limiting it to one Mega (As in only Blaziken EX, Lucario EX, etc. not one single card per deck) per deck or an Ace Spec would probably be the best way to go. Hopefully they're good enough to play, and preferably better than EXs in some way (Maybe same power but 1 prize per KO?) since they will require a decent amount of setup either way.

I think it's unlikely that mega evolutions will be de facto Stage 3s. I would be surprised if they simply repeated the Lv X function, though it's certainly not impossible.

We'll probably have to wait to see how mega evolutions function in the video games to see what'll happen in the TCG. This is sort of unprecedented - I don't believe the video game has ever introduced a new evolution mechanic - so it'll be kind of cool to see how the TCG emulates the mechanic.

What I could see happening is something that's similar to a Lv. X, but requires a tool card attached to the Pokémon in order to play the Mega. So, you have a Lucario in play, you attach the LucarioNite (or whatever) and once that card is attached, you can evolve into the Mega card.

A few other possibilities, though I don't really care for either of them:
1: Depending on the power of the Mega evolutions in the TCG, the tool cards needed to Mega-evolve (or even the Mega card themselves) may be Ace Specs. I don't really think it's possible, but it does use some existing mechanics, so to speak. Depends on how many cards/mechanics they'll be keeping from the BW series, I guess.
2: Since there's been such a focus on powerful basics, and we've seen a few "basic" stage 2 EXes in EBB (Chandelure, Excadrill), it would be kind of hilariously terrible if all the Pokémon that got Mega-evolutions were in the TCG as basic EX cards and you could only play a Mega card onto the EX.

I really hope neither of those things happens, though. The first because I don't really want to see/play in a format where there's literally one super-powerful Pokémon; it seems like it would make things very luck based. And the second is just funny in a terrible way because I don't think anyone wants to both keep EXes around for that long and also make them even more insanely powerful.

Really, I just hope it's something similar to my first paragraph. It seems like Mega-evolutions would be a great way to put the focus back onto evolved Pokémon rather that another set full of big basics.

I doubt Pokemon-EX and mega Pokemon will be mixed, especially seeing as 'EX' is part of the Pokemon's name (you would need to have, for example, 'Mega Ampharos EX' and not just 'Mega Ampharos' to play it onto Ampharos EX), if that is in fact the mechanic.

The tool concept is probably the most likely, seeing as that's how they seem to work in the video game. I would love it if you could attach the tool to a Pokemon and that would let you search the deck for its mega evolution and put it onto the Pokemon, while keeping them not too powerful.

I think megas will be like ace specs in our current format. And to actually play them you could do it like level X (near impossible like OP said) or have it like the Excadrill EX from EX Battle Boost where it's a basic (but then it's not really having a mega evolution is it?).
Maybe they can make double sided cards like MtG and when a certain event happens (like a turn, knocking out a pokemon, having 7 cards in hand etc) it flips and mega-volves. The more I think about it the more awesome it sounds.
Blaziken
If the opponent has less prize cards than you, you may flip Blaziken

I think the triggers should be different for each pokemon though depending it's type.

So I'm seeing a lot of mention of this Lv X mechanism but not fully understanding it (im only just got back into the game) anyone able to give a very quick and dirty run down?

As my current understanding I too expect to see something implimented via the Ace Spec system.

We just started getting attacks in ace specs witih the introduction of the Genesect ACE SPECS so it's a fairly logical profression

ryter78 said:
I think megas will be like ace specs in our current format. And to actually play them you could do it like level X (near impossible like OP said) or have it like the Excadrill EX from EX Battle Boost where it's a basic (but then it's not really having a mega evolution is it?).
Maybe they can make double sided cards like MtG and when a certain event happens (like a turn, knocking out a pokemon, having 7 cards in hand etc) it flips and mega-volves. The more I think about it the more awesome it sounds.
Blaziken
If the opponent has less prize cards than you, you may flip Blaziken

I think the triggers should be different for each pokemon though depending it's type.

As much as the idea sounds cool, I couldn't ever see Pokémon having a "flip" system. The card backs are what makes them legal for tournament play, plus you'll see it topdeck easily, and what about opaque sleeves?
I've seen mention of a YGO style separate-deck, where you could have your Mega cards and they can be specially summoned to the field, somehow. I think however they pull it off, it'll be far more interesting and fun than a 180HP wall of a Basic.

nomis78 said:
So I'm seeing a lot of mention of this Lv X mechanism but not fully understanding it (im only just got back into the game) anyone able to give a very quick and dirty run down?

As my current understanding I too expect to see something implimented via the Ace Spec system.

We just started getting attacks in ace specs witih the introduction of the Genesect ACE SPECS so it's a fairly logical profression

LV. X's were a mechanic in the Diamond & Pearl era where you placed a LV. X Pokemon onto the regular version. The LV. X would have new attacks/Poke-Bodies/Poke-Powers and higher HP, and be able to use the attacks and Poke-Powers/Bodies of the original Pokemon. So you'd have an Infernape in play, then you would place an Infernape LV. X card on top of the Infernape, and the Infernape LV. X would be able to use all the stuff the normal Infernape could use, as well as whatever was printed on the LV. X. They also technically had the same name as the regular Pokemon, so you could only play 2 of each, or 3 of 1 and 1 of the other.

Mega Evolution Thoughts?

So we all know that they are going to be in the VG and almost certainly in the TCG, what is everyone thoughts on how this will affect the game and how to you think these cards will acting in decks? Could this be the new Lvl X or is it a super powered EX card?
Personally i see it three possible outcomes.
1. It is an evolution of the other pokemon as a sort of Lvl X card.
2. An Ex card or evolving of that pokemon Ex (Darkrai Ex then play Mega Dakrai)
3. Star Pokemon like in dragon frontiers! Only one per deck. We have ace spec item and tools why not pokemon? After pondering this i find it could actually be what happens and i would like to see that honestly. Maybe increase it so you can only have 2 per deck(lessens chance of both prized). All in all we will just have to see come February or the expansion after that.:D

Back