Mega Metagross Revealed in ‘CoroCoro’ [7/10]

meh... I still say they're being lazy with the Megas designs... Yeah, more legs, cool, but other than that, not much different... and the spike just looks dumb...

What I REALLY want to see is a Mega Salamence... and a Mega Flygon, it is more in need of a Mega than Salamence, but I'm hoping for both...

I would like to see Mega Altaria, but only if it gets storm cloud wings...

Mega Sharpedo and Mega Flygon are my main hopes. Maybe Mega Torkoal

So um.....the psychic steel Pokemon that has enough endurance up the butt gets a megaevolution. Okay.

Easily one of my favorite Megas. I'm a sucker for things with two faces, and it makes sense to have them because Metagross is a fusion of two Metangs. Also really loving the UFO/spaceship vibe it has going on with the legs back. They nailed it imo.

Hoping for Levitate and a ridiculous attack stat. (That's what the claws could be telegraphing, now that I think about it.) I think it needs that more than Tough Claws after the Steel nerfs this gen...but then again, dat 33% boost. You can't go wrong with either, really.

Metalizard said:
meh... I still say they're being lazy with the Megas designs... Yeah, more legs, cool, but other than that, not much different... and the spike just looks dumb...

How are they being 'lazy'? What would you have done differently/better with the Megas?

Me likey! Can't wait to get more info on Mega Metagross. I'll definitely use one in my AS team.

Can't wait to see clear pics of Gym Leaders and apparently Sidney? Maybe more?

Easily the worst Mega, IMO. It literally just floats and has a horribad spike goatee.

don()shinobi said:
Easily the worst Mega, IMO. It literally just floats and has a horribad spike goatee.

"It literally just floats"

What? The previous stages also floats too... <.<

Windwhip said:
don()shinobi said:

Yeah but this one has a spike. Just like the Sableye mega they added an extra thing and called it an evolution. Whereas with Swampert and Sceptile we see changes with their anatomy and form.

Keeper of Night said:
Magneton ... which doesn't have any chance at a Mega

Why so sure we can rule out Mega Magnezone? Do you mean just in ORAS or ever? o___O

EDIT: Oh, you mean since he uses the Magneton at first not a Magnezone. Then yeah, Magneton isn't getting one lol.

Mitja said:
Keeper of Night said:
Magneton ... which doesn't have any chance at a Mega

Why so sure we can rule out Mega Magnezone? Do you mean just in ORAS or ever? o___O

EDIT: Oh, you mean since he uses the Magneton at first not a Magnezone. Then yeah, Magneton isn't getting one lol.

I was just referring to the Pokémon shown. Just because Torkoal and Shiftry are shown next to their respected trainers doesn't meant they're getting a mega. Magneton is shown with Wattson, and we aren't getting Mega Magneton... Ever, probably. Magnezone, maybe eventually, but they aren't going to give middle forms megas.

Delta said:
Windwhip said:

Yeah but this one has a spike. Just like the Sableye mega they added an extra thing and called it an evolution. Whereas with Swampert and Sceptile we see changes with their anatomy and form.

They didn't just add a spike though. They are clearly showing the Metang underneath by adding the nose and eyes.
For Sableye, they did the natural thing. They took the small, unique, qualities of the Pokémon and made them... Better. In this case, it was Sableye's gems that are imbedded in his body.
For Metagross, they are re-imagining what a "fused" Pokémon can look like.

I for one absolutely love Mega Metagross. Those arms, man.
The spike is kinda weird, I guess, but if we interpret it as the other Metang it makes a lot of sense. Also, it makes me think of a trireme - that ship with the battering ram spike on the front.

An extra arm and a spike was all they did to make Metagross a Mega. I'm not a fan of it either. I understand it's kind of hard to get creative with Metagross due to its simplicity, but this was awful. I do like the golden 'x' though.

I don't know why I complete overlooked this earlier. -.-
Delta said:
The difference between something like Sableye and Swampert is rather simple.
Sableye never had an evolution, and therfor was considered complete for the longest time. That fact doesn't change just because it has a mega. Megas are more like a form change than actual evolution in most cases, they keep the same name and its only temporary. Having a mega isn't a proper evolution, and since it was complete before, it wouldn't change that much, instead just amplifying what it already is. This kind of mega evolution is mostly for Pokémon that were already complete. We see the same thing in Mawile, who stays the same, save the double jaw. Again, just an amplified form of what it already has. Also again, this is because Mawile was already considered complete, and its "evolution" becomes a better version of itself, not a completely different Pokémon.
Kangaskhan is another example of this. None of these Pokémon have any previous forms, and none of them change drastically upon mega evolving.

Now, we can compare this to, like you said, Swampert and Sceptile. These Pokémon didn't really have any defining features that made them stand out (except maybe Sceptile's tail, but that did get buffed upon evolution). They got a more drastic over-all appearance change. They are more like proper evolutions in that sense. These Pokémon had to evolve to be the complete forms they are (unlike my previous examples). That means they did not begin perfect. Evolution does not mean the Pokémon has reached its full potential, in most cases. We just believed it did. Now, with the addition of megas, we know Pokémon evolution can go even further, so why consider evolved Pokémon "complete" or "perfect"? The only Pokémon that were complete are those that did not have normal evolutions. They are as strong as that species can get, so there is no call for evolution. However, a mega for one of these "complete" Pokémon is simply that same Pokémon... Amplifying itself even further. Sableye gets bigger gems, but nothing new. Mawile gets a second maw, but nothing new there either. Kangaskhan's baby grows to fight alongside it, but still, nothing new as the baby is present in the original design.

Serperior said:
An extra arm and a spike was all they did to make Metagross a Mega. I'm not a fan of it either. I understand it's kind of hard to get creative with Metagross due to its simplicity, but this was awful. I do like the golden 'x' though.

I'm confused. Why does everybody expect megas to be so different from the original Pokémon? They aren't evolutions, just stronger forms. Why should they be expected to change so much?
No mega so far has changed the design beyond the point of being recognized as the same Pokémon.

RE: Mega Metagross Revealed in ‘CoroCoro E[7/10]

[/quote]

I'm confused. Why does everybody expect megas to be so different from the original Pokémon? They aren't evolutions, just stronger forms. Why should they be expected to change so much?
No mega so far has changed the design beyond the point of being recognized as the same Pokémon.
[/quote]

Exactly! Mega Charizard X is probably the most drastic change in design, imo, but it and all the others still majorly resemble their original forms. I'm totally fine with this design.

Honestly the only megas that could qualify as actual next stage evos are Banette, Absol, Mawile, Medicham, Pinsir, Swampert and Diancie. (Mega Absol isn't that different but it has something that could make it believeable as an evo imo.) Maybe Heracross.

Teal said:
Honestly the only megas that could qualify as actual next stage evos are Banette, Absol, Mawile, Medicham, Pinsir, Swampert and Diancie. (Mega Absol isn't that different but it has something that could make it believeable as an evo imo.) Maybe Heracross.
Honestly, I'd argue Alakazam and Houndoom as well. Alakazam's transition to wise elder and all of Houndoom's adornments seem to fit with where I could see the lines going.

I've said it before, but I really think Mega Metagross is a nice middle-of-the-road between "looks like an evolution" and "Mega Ampharos."

Back