Mega Flygon Excluded from XY/ORAS Because of Artist's Block [4/21]

DVD

Aspiring Trainer
Maybe it's just me but I interpret "dropped from consideration" as Mega Flygon most likely never coming into fruition. OR/AS was practically the best place to create it and that opportunity was missed. It's just funny that this was the Mega Evolution everyone wanted but it ultimately never left the drawing board. I'm sure Game Freak tried their best to make it happen but it it just wasn't meant to be for whatever reason.

Fjm12

Aspiring Trainer
Leaf_Ranger said:
scattered mind said:
I wonder if they have the same explanation about Milotic..

Unfortunately yes...unknown to the world, Mega-Milotic already exists: it's Wallace and his new design! They've put so much effort, love and dedication on pimping out Wallace that they got an art block and the reason why there's no Mega Flygon! His ability is "Wonder Skin", it has an exclusive attack: "Flare Glare" that ends the effect of Sunny Day and other weather changing attacks and has 100% change of either causing a Burn, Freeze or Burn due to such glory!
177px-Omega_Ruby_Alpha_Sapphire_Wallace.png
Wallace: "I, myself, am a Mega Stone...Wallabulousnite!"

I don't post here hardly, but even though that wasn't a serious comment, it did bring up something interesting. Especially considering Wallace never had a scarf in his old design. Maybe his scarf is referencing an already designed Mega Milotic? I mean, it looks like Milotic's fins, just rounded at the end and a different color.

DVD

Aspiring Trainer
Fjm12 said:
Leaf_Ranger said:
Unfortunately yes...unknown to the world, Mega-Milotic already exists: it's Wallace and his new design! They've put so much effort, love and dedication on pimping out Wallace that they got an art block and the reason why there's no Mega Flygon! His ability is "Wonder Skin", it has an exclusive attack: "Flare Glare" that ends the effect of Sunny Day and other weather changing attacks and has 100% change of either causing a Burn, Freeze or Burn due to such glory!

I don't post here hardly, but even though that wasn't a serious comment, it did bring up something interesting. Especially considering Wallace never had a scarf in his old design. Maybe his scarf is referencing an already designed Mega Milotic? I mean, it looks like Milotic's fins, just rounded at the end and a different color.
I would have digged a Mega Milotic with a color scheme like that scarf.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
Fjm12 said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

While most of my post is indeed a joke, the reason for it isn't and that's the time spent on updating some design's character and ending up with the ridiculous outfit. Still about it and M.Milotic, I can understand the scarf but not the sort of winged little cape he has.

You do touch upon something that I didn't remember since I'm not into Milotic that is the non existence of M.Milotic! So, accordingly to the interview M.Flygon would be made to match Aarune. 1st: if M.Flygon has been thought since XY, just like Blaziken and it has no trainer associated with it (not counting the anime!), then we can assume that M.Flygon was also the case and so the excuse is just that and a poor one. 2nd, if still going by Sugimori's reasoning, then Wallace is a relevant trainer and also the 8th Gym leader so wouldn't he deserve a M.Milotic, more so looking at his scarf? Then why wasn't it done? Another case of designs not matching their standards?

Fjm12

Aspiring Trainer
Leaf_Ranger said:
Fjm12 said:

While most of my post is indeed a joke, the reason for it isn't and that's the time spent on updating some design's character and ending up with the ridiculous outfit. Still about it and M.Milotic, I can understand the scarf but not the sort of winged little cape he has.

You do touch upon something that I didn't remember since I'm not into Milotic that is the non existence of M.Milotic! So, accordingly to the interview M.Flygon would be made to match Aarune. 1st: if M.Flygon has been thought since XY, just like Blaziken and it has no trainer associated with it (not counting the anime!), then we can assume that M.Flygon was also the case and so the excuse is just that and a poor one. 2nd, if still going by Sugimori's reasoning, then Wallace is a relevant trainer and also the 8th Gym leader so wouldn't he deserve a M.Milotic, more so looking at his scarf? Then why wasn't it done? Another case of designs not matching their standards?

Dunno, maybe they're saving it for the next Kalos game. If Wallace was in the next games, I wouldn't be surprised (I mean, c'mon, it's a flamboyant dude in a romantic, French inspired place). Since it is a different universe and all that XY-ORAS is set in.

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
WELL SCREW YOU GAME FREAK

If Mega Salamence and Mega Altaria made it in you could have done anything with him. >_>

Fjm12

Aspiring Trainer
SotS said:
WELL SCREW YOU GAME FREAK

If Mega Salamence and Mega Altaria made it in you could have done anything with him. >_>

I don't believe the "Artists Block" thing, but maybe because he's so popular, they were trying to do the best design upgrade possible. I just hope that last statement GF made doesn't mean "we've stopped working on him" and means "he'll be in a future game most likely"

Mitja

veteran smartass
DVD said:
OR/AS was practically the best place to create it and that opportunity was missed. It's just funny that this was the Mega Evolution everyone wanted but it ultimately never left the drawing board. I'm sure Game Freak tried their best to make it happen but it it just wasn't meant to be for whatever reason.

Just like how ORAS was the best opportunity for Mega Blaziken/Gardevoir/Mawile/Aggron/Manectric/Medicham/Absol/Banette, right?

"the Mega evolution everyone wanted" - No. It's just the Mega that the most annoying or at least vocal fans want. And lets not forget that if Mega Flygon was in, but something like Salamence for example was not... people would be whining about Salamence now instead just as much.

I wanted a Mega Shiftry for example. Doesn't mean it's now less likely to happen in future games, just because it wasn't in ORAS, because clearly native region game isn't THAT important for a Mega to be used (otherwise explain Beedrill/Pidgeot/Audino/Lopunny in ORAS, and everything in XY.)

Leaf_Ranger

Fjm12 said:
Dunno, maybe they're saving it for the next Kalos game. If Wallace was in the next games, I wouldn't be surprised (I mean, c'mon, it's a flamboyant dude in a romantic, French inspired place). Since it is a different universe and all that XY-ORAS is set in.

I wouldn't mind seeing Wallace in Kalos if not for one name: Siebold. These two together make the unoriginality of Siebold shine because he's like Wallace and Juan mixed with Cilan! Now that I'm thinking perhaps that's why Wallace was made flamboyant.

MegaBeedrill

This isn't even my final form!
Mitja said:
"the Mega evolution everyone wanted" - No. It's just the Mega that the most annoying or at least vocal fans want. And lets not forget that if Mega Flygon was in, but something like Salamence for example was not... people would be whining about Salamence now instead just as much.

People are whining about the fact it exist and centralizes battle spot and VGC with it's brokeness, likewise for mega kangaskhan during X/Y. One thing I think everybody can agree on is what does and what doesn't need a mega evolution, and salamence certainly got the buff it really didn't need while flygon, a lesser dragon of regular mence, got absolutely nothing. Garchomp didn't need a mega (thank god it was nerfed with that speed drop), what made garchomp inferior to flygon that made it more deserving of a mega evolution over it?

The way GF is handling this distribution of mega evolutions seems really far off. Even ones that aren't problematic, are just really odd choices over what should've gotten megas (beedrill over dustox, pidgeot over swellow, etc in a hoenn remake). They need to distribute more megas to turn mediocre pokemon more viable, not already good ones that become extremely overwhelming and borderline if not completely broken. Even rayquaza with the random can hold any item mechanic was completely unnecessary and it rips unranked battlespot and online play in general like nothing when in the right hands.

Not saying some of the megas introduced deserved megas (lopunny, beedrill, pidgeot) but we didn't any borderline or flatout broken ones like kanga and mence.. we complain more now about their existance than we would've complained about them nonexisting.

Mitja

veteran smartass
You're missing my point.. pick another example instead of Salamence then. Say Metagross, or one of the starters. If one of them wouldn't have gotten a Mega, while Flygon did, people would be whining about THE MEGA NOT EXISTING as in this thread. Whether people would be complaining about Mega Flygon being broken instead too, is irrelvant to what I'm saying.

CF1994

Aspiring Trainer
If you hit an artist's block, then you've pretty much hit artist's block.

Game Freak hasn't forgotten about Flygon, folks. (Evident with it getting Bug Buzz and Boomburst in ORAS.) They were just unsure which design would be cool enough to please a considerable amount of the crowd that wanted the Mega.

Then again, I'll leave out the rest while this debate cools off.

Oreo9238

If you like music, I like you.
Wouldn't it be cool in these situations that GameFreak held some sort of a contest for designs?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Oreo9238 said:
Wouldn't it be cool in these situations that GameFreak held some sort of a contest for designs?

Yeah but they would probably let only Japanese fans to participate.

Mitja

veteran smartass
Oreo9238 said:

Ugh no.
I'd rather they completely ignore the fans and do what they think is appropriate, rather than have fans directly influence what designs they put in the games.

Although you should specify what you mean by "these situations" and how that contest would work..

But something I'd never wanna see is anyone being able to vote for new Megas.
It's bad enough we have 2 Charizard Megas already xD

Leaf_Ranger

Mitja said:
(...)
But something I'd never wanna see is anyone being able to vote for new Megas.
It's bad enough we have 2 Charizard Megas already xD

I'd vote for this, despite the rules:
MEGA MEGA MEGA MEOWTH, because I just looooove M.evolution!:rolleyes:
320px-Team_Rocket_Mecha_XY010.png

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
Mitja said:
You're missing my point.. pick another example instead of Salamence then. Say Metagross, or one of the starters. If one of them wouldn't have gotten a Mega, while Flygon did, people would be whining about THE MEGA NOT EXISTING as in this thread. Whether people would be complaining about Mega Flygon being broken instead too, is irrelvant to what I'm saying.

I was complaining about no Mega Swampert or Sceptile from the release date of X and Y until their rightful reveal. I will continue to whine about no Mega for my favored Pokemon in the RSE Dragon Duo. \o/