Making a favorites team... anyway to make this work?

NarcoticHobo

Aspiring Trainer
With X and Y coming out I wanted to build a team with my favorite from each gen, not sure how to coordinate it though. I've already ev trained a gengar from gen1 so thats probably stuck, but I might can change. Here is a list of the mons I was thinking about any ideas how to build a decent team from this:

Gen 1: Gengar or Alakazam

Gen 2: Crobat (prefer) or Kingdra

Gen 3: Metagross, Sableye, or Flygon

Gen 4: Luxray, Lucario, Weavile, Magnezone

Gen 5: Elektross, Volcarona

I'm fairly new to ev training and team building so I appreciate any input!

NarcoticHobo said:
With X and Y coming out I wanted to build a team with my favorite from each gen, not sure how to coordinate it though. I've already ev trained a gengar from gen1 so thats probably stuck, but I might can change. Here is a list of the mons I was thinking about any ideas how to build a decent team from this:

Gen 1: Gengar or Alakazam

Gen 2: Crobat (prefer) or Kingdra

Gen 3: Metagross, Sableye, or Flygon

Gen 4: Luxray, Lucario, Weavile, Magnezone

Gen 5: Elektross, Volcarona

I'm fairly new to ev training and team building so I appreciate any input!

Do you want to build a team using only these pokemon, or just using a couple? Keep in mind that if you use only the pokemon you see here, it's going to be extremely difficult as you will need to balance weaknesses and resistances. With such a hard selection of pokemon, that's hard, if not impossible to do.

I can tell you though, that if you want to select 2 or 3 of these pokemon here and then use other pokemon to surround them, it will be much easier, and probably more effective. Just taking a glance at your list, and there are a few good pokemon here. I can tell you now that Gengar and Lucario together form a great offensive pair together. Gengar is immune to 2 of Lucario's 3 weaknesses, and Gengar in turn lures in Dark-types which Lucario will set up on with absolute impunity. However, building off of these two pokemon requires a lot of support, and I'm not sure I see it from just these pokemon here.

I'd like to use only those. I'm not looking to win a tournament or anything like that, just something that would be somewhat playable. Im fairly new to this side of pokemon.

You could try something like this:

Gengar
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Substitute
Pain Split

Crobat
Hypnosis
Cross Poison
Super Fang ( note: Dream World move. ) If you can't get it, go with U-Turn.
Taunt

Metagross
Meteor Mash
Bullet Punch
Ice Punch
Earthquake

Magnezone
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power [Fire] if you can get it.
Thunder Wave
Substitute

Lucario
Swords Dance
Extreme Speed
Close Combat
Stone Edge

Volcarona
Quiver Dance
Fire Blast
Bug Buzz
Hidden Power [Rock/Ground]. If you can't get a good Hidden Power, Fiery Dance can work.

King Arceus said:
You could try something like this:

Gengar
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Substitute
Pain Split

Crobat
Hypnosis
Cross Poison
Super Fang ( note: Dream World move. ) If you can't get it, go with U-Turn.
Taunt

Metagross
Meteor Mash
Bullet Punch
Ice Punch
Earthquake

Magnezone
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power [Fire] if you can get it.
Thunder Wave
Substitute

Lucario
Swords Dance
Extreme Speed
Close Combat
Stone Edge

Volcarona
Quiver Dance
Fire Blast
Bug Buzz
Hidden Power [Rock/Ground]. If you can't get a good Hidden Power, Fiery Dance can work.

Thanks! I'll use something like that, I think Ill cut out Magnezone though to save a spot for a gen VI pokemon. I'll add thunderbolt to gengar instead of pain split for coverage i suppose.

I agree with /almost/ everything KA said, although I'd recommend Kingdra over Crobat. The reason being that Crobat isn't the best pokemon to run around in OU with, since it doesn't pack that much power or support. Kingdra will work better I think because it can set up either Dragon Dance or Rain Dance to boost its power, it's good to use against opposing rain teams, and it also resists fire, which will be good since you have 3 Steel-types on your team. I'd try Kingdra with Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Outrage, and then some 4th move of your choice, like Substitute, or Rest if you want to hold a Lum Berry as an item.

He preferred Crobat which is why I tried to find a way to use it.

TPO3 said:
I agree with /almost/ everything KA said, although I'd recommend Kingdra over Crobat. The reason being that Crobat isn't the best pokemon to run around in OU with, since it doesn't pack that much power or support. Kingdra will work better I think because it can set up either Dragon Dance or Rain Dance to boost its power, it's good to use against opposing rain teams, and it also resists fire, which will be good since you have 3 Steel-types on your team. I'd try Kingdra with Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Outrage, and then some 4th move of your choice, like Substitute, or Rest if you want to hold a Lum Berry as an item.

Okay, I'll see if I can work kingdra in too, already EV trained Gengar and Crobat though, getting them to lvl 100 now.

Honestly I'll probably just use these for battle subway and thats all. Doubt I'll play against others competitively too much.

Thanks for everyones help though!

Back