Finished Mafia LIX-II: Make-A-Mafia: Game Over - Innocents Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Mafia LIX-II

Welcome to Mafia LVIX! If you are unfamiliar with forum mafia, please see our master document and new player guide here.

I've got a bit of time up my sleeve - so I thought I might take Cel's game and run with it! If you're keen to play, please post /in and the role you'd like to have in the game.

This game will be different to previous mafia games on this site in two ways. First, it is a semi-open game. This means that players will have a good idea of what roles could be in the game going into it. Secondly, I'm not making all of the roles. In your signup post, you may include a role yourself. This can be of any character, and be any role. However, for balance reasons, I won't be including every role, and will be making some of them myself. If you want your role to be included, make it interesting and dynamic to play, but low-powered enough to not be swingy (having the potential to decide games by itself).

Activity
If you're inactive you will be modkilled. This is up to my discretion, and modkills will be distributed indiscriminately. If you're a player who has a history of ditching games, you're not playing this time unless we simply don't have enough players. This is also up to my discretion. Ditching games ruins it for everyone else -- especially the host -- and is why we no longer have members willing to host games. Don't do it.

Day phases will be 96 hours (4 days) and night phases will be 24 hours (1 day). If you can't check the forums daily, don't sign up to this game. Missing one night action is acceptable if you have otherwise been active during the day. If you have contributed insufficiently during the day and miss your night action, you will be modkilled. Missing two night actions results in a modkill. Members of the mafia faction will not be able to submit a kill or action for another member of the faction; all actions must be submitted by the player performing said action. However, if a mafia player is modkilled, then that player's active abilities will be able to be used by any other mafian. This is not the case for a mafian killed by orthodox means.

If you're going away for a few days or won't have access to the internet for a period, exceptions will of course be made. As long as you communicate well with the host (me) you're fine and we can find a workaround.

I apologise for the negative energy in this section of the OP, but as far as I'm concerned not including a section like this would be naive going into a game on this site. Our games are decided by activity kills hitting a strong role too often and it's why we now don't have enough active players signing up to games, and a complete drought of members wanting to host them. Dropping out of a game is the equivalent of kicking the host's dog. It hurts and leaves the host wondering where their life went wrong.

Mechanic Clarification
This isn't an orthodox Make-a-Mafia for one reason: this site's meta isn't used to no-claim games. They've been trialled before and have always failed. This means that, since role claims are allowed, mafia would be at a huge disadvantage, as they wouldn't have safe claims due to the open setup and would be forced to counterclaim players. This site's meta also isn't prepared for that kind of game. For that reason, only some roles posted during signups will be included in the setup, and the rest will be made by me. I have no roles created yet but I can design a balanced game quickly -- particularly because this game will have no-to-minimal flavour --, and will use your guys' roles as the core of the setup. Importantly, a role rejected in signups can still make it into the game as a safeclaim for mafians. Roles created may be passive only, active only, or a mixture of both. You can include as many abilities as you want of either active or passive status, but if the role is broken it won't be included. I reserve the right to modify a role as I see fit for the purpose of game balance, which includes removing or adding roles, or changing the current roles slightly to add or remove power.

How to sign up
With a role.
Template:
Your name is [insert character name here].

[Flavour bio for character]

[Ability 1 name (passives go first)]
[Ability 1 description and effect]

[Ability 2 name (actives follow passives)]
[Ability 2 description and effect]

For posterity, here is a role from my previous game on this site.

This is a wild, long, but balanced role. You can either take it as far as this or remain safer. The blackboard was a mechanic in my previous game that isn't returning this time (and was generally a flop but a cool idea) so ignore it in this role.

Banned Roles
1. Town Inno Child
(an active ability where a player can have their own alignment confirmed by the host while still alive)
2. Cop (Can target a player each night and receive their alignment from the host. If fitting for game balance, I'd like to reserve the cop role for myself, as I would have free reign over how to nerf it. All other investigative roles are valid)
3. Anything else broken (If a role is far too powerful or weak I will ask you to make a new one. If it's borderline balanced or would be balanced depending on setup but this time round happens not to be, I'll slightly modify it. The former course will be public and the latter won't be, so don't think that every role posted in-thread is the final draft)

Players
1. Ephemera
2. Zone Q11
3. GM Draclord
4. scattered mind
5. TeamAqua4Life
6. TheAquaPiplup

Hopefully we get more than 8 players, but this is the minimum player count for the game to run. There is no maximum.

Last edited:

Zone Q11

『Plebeian』『He who Hails from NovelUpdates Forum』
You are Don Tillman and you are aligned with *insert faction here*
You are a professor of genetics and a very calculated person with rather lacking social skills. After your recent project to find a suitable wife according to an over complicated self made questionnaire you encountered Rosie- the one woman with all the wrong characteristics. Yet you fell in love with her (which due to your lack of understanding emotions took you long enough to realize). You are now accused for a crime you didn’t commit (not for the first time) and have to protect your name by finding the real killer. Thus, project Mafia commences!

Passive Ability : Movies can’t make you cry
People tend to assume your autism means you don’t have emotions. Unfortunately, the fact you just can’t cry from any movie doesn’t help this false assumption. Every time a player dies, your inability to release yourself from the awareness that this is just a game makes you quite invincible compared to others. If a player is killed , no players can target you during that night.

Active Ability: Overthinking
You tend to over analyze everything. Because of that, once per night you may target 2 players. You will deduce that one of them has targeted the other or that one of them was targeted by the other, but the results will come after either of the two is dead. (You can’t use this ability if you already targeted 2 players and neither has died).

Win Condition: insert here

Hope it’s ok.

You are Zone Q11, a [alignment] Vengeful.

Introduced indirectly by NinjaPenguin, you have joined this game on behalf of yourself. Despite being known for your infamous idiotic paranoid gameplays, your intent to win the game is stronger than whatever anyone says!

Passive: Tunneling
At the end of each Day Phase, you will gain 1 Tunneling Point if you voted for one player and did not change that vote at all.

Passive: Grudges are Real
For each 2 Tunneling Points, you may kill 1 player after your death.

Active: Why did I tunnel you again?
On Night Phase, you may choose to obtain 1 Tunneling Point by completely removing your Tunneling Passive Ability.
A'ight, let's do this.

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
You are LORD DREAD and is aligned with *insert here*

You hailed from a long line of rulers, and not the kind variation. Being a master manipulator, any suggestion that you made are thoughtlessly followed. As wicked as someone could be, you can charm anyone to do your bidding. Anyone that fallen to your schemes wouldn't feel as the were forced to do anything. They will voluntarily do it as it is what the desire in the first place.

[PASSIVE] MASTER CHARMER
You word hold much persuasion, even if they people might not see it. The first player that voted for you each day will have their vote changed to the person that you voted for.

[ACTIVE] MIND MANIPULATOR
Suggestion are your forte, any person that you instruct would mindlessly follow your bidding. Each night, you may choose 2 players. During that night, the chosen players would use their active ability on each other.

Win Condition: *Insert Here*

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
/in
You are Captain Anna Gunthrag and you are aligned with *Insert faction here*

Although it has been years since you gave up your role in the military, you are still as stern as ever when your neighbors don't use your title of "Captain" when referring to you. You are living upset that nobody sees you as a war hero, if only they knew the horrors you went through with your partner Pokémon, Clawitzer. Then, they would surely respect you. Alas, you are just an old woman with crazy stories to tell, the "Village Crazy Lady" if you will.

Passive Ability: Fallen Soldiers
As a war veteran, you gained deep respect for those that fell by your side in battle. You will be able to communicate with the dead players in a QuickTopic or Discord server, whichever works best.

Active Ability: Battlefield Aid
Once per night phase, you may target a player. That player will not be able to die during that phase. You may not target the same player two nights in a row or yourself.

Win Condition: *Insert Here*

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
One week remaining to sign up! The game will begin next week on Thursday 28th regardless of the number of people signed up.

If you (or know anyone who is) keen to play but doesn't have any role ideas, or is able to design a role by deadline, let me know -- and can I arrange something.

Obligatory tag of those who (considered) signing-up for Cel's game:
@Dusk Form Lycanroc
@TheAquaPiplup
@Vom
@PMJ

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
One week remaining to sign up! The game will begin next week on Thursday 28th regardless of the number of people signed up.

If you (or know anyone who is) keen to play but doesn't have any role ideas, or is able to design a role by deadline, let me know -- and can I arrange something.

Obligatory tag of those who (considered) signing-up for Cel's game:
@Dusk Form Lycanroc
@TheAquaPiplup
@Vom
@PMJ
Sorry, but I can't manage it this time of the year. Feel free to use my role for any reason tho. :)

Zone Q11

1. Why are some names bolded while others aren't?
2. A 5-er FM... only 1 mafia then?
-> If it's scattered's role, I have brought it along with mine. It's Don Tillman.
-> As for @Ephemera, we could use Vom's or yours if she doesn't answer in time.

Zone Q11

[Ephemera]

Zone Q11
Passive: +1 Point for Tunneling a whole Day
Passive: Hunter for every 2 Points
Active: +1 Point for removing 1st Passive

Lord Dread
Passive: Day Vote Redirector - Gate: Voted
Active: Redirector - Each Other

Don Tillman
Passive: Paranoid Bar Owner - Gate: Nightkill
Active: Tracker + Watcher - Gate: Results come after one of targets die

Captain Anna Gunthrag
Passive: Medium
Active: Non-Consecutive Target Doctor (w. Self-Heal?)
Hm... Hunter in a 5-er. Definitely not a good idea. Especially with that requirement of tunneling...
It seems that I need to change my role as well, so it can fit in this setup.

@GM DracLord, what happens if Lord Dread targets himself?
Don Tillman seems to be balanced-ish in this small setup.
So is Captain Anna Gunthrag, to a certain extent.

Zone Q11

You are Zone Q11, a [alignment] Paranoid Gun Owner.

Introduced indirectly by NinjaPenguin, you have joined this game on behalf of yourself. Despite being known for your infamous idiotic paranoid gameplays, your intent to win the game is stronger than whatever anyone says!

Active: One Bullet
Once per game, you may choose to stay alert, not sleeping for one whole Night Phase.
Anyone who visits you during that Night Phase will die.
There we go. This ought to scare off whoever gets Lord Dread for a while. :cool:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
1. Why are some names bolded while others aren't?
2. A 5-er FM... only 1 mafia then?
Bolded is people who haven't posted in this thread or posted their roles in this thread. I will be using spare roles if this isn't done o/c. The number of mafia won't be made public.

Hm... Hunter in a 5-er. Definitely not a good idea. Especially with that requirement of tunneling...
I will be making changes to roles to meet the setup, please don't change them unless you see something glaringly broken. :)

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death

@GM DracLord, what happens if Lord Dread targets himself?
Don Tillman seems to be balanced-ish in this small setup.
So is Captain Anna Gunthrag, to a certain extent.
I good question. It would be either The ability get cancel or it just forced the other Player to target Lord Dread. As he is already targetting that player anyway.

Zone Q11

Bolded is people who haven't posted in this thread or posted their roles in this thread. I will be using spare roles if this isn't done o/c.
I good question. It would be either The ability get cancel or it just forced the other Player to target Lord Dread. As he is already targetting that player anyway.
Humu. Okay.
The number of mafia won't be made public.
But... there is only so much that you can do in a 5'er. The only way to add more mafia while staying balanced is by having more players...
I will be making changes to roles to meet the setup, please don't change them unless you see something glaringly broken. :)
I mean... I have already changed it to a PGO though. What happens now?
That would even scare the doctor if any
Heh. Yup. :cool:
Haha so I guess it's supposed to scare me too
Oho? Who are you? Are you interested in joining?

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Okay, 24 hours left until sign ups close! The game will start soon after that.

Ephemera

just a little longer...
Arghh, I haven't been able to come up with a satisfying role for a 5 player game... sorry about that :(

You could use one of the unused roles from Cel's version?

Sorry for the inconvenience!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.