Finished Mafia LI: Senate Subterfuge~Game Over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Postgame: Part 1-General Thoughts and Commentary

Okay, so this part is going to go into my personal mafia philosophy so if you want individual opinions/critiques, that will come in the second part. This will go more into how this game was designed and specific opinions on mechanics/play (disclaimer: these opinions may end up being asserted in a way where they come off as trying to be facts. My way of thinking of things is not the only correct way to play mafia, it’s just something that I think could help players in general, and me asserting things that way is not intentional.).

The Setup:
The main philosophy of setup design was trying to reduce investigative power and confirmable townies, the two things that most easily bust a game, to low levels, so that scumhunting was by far the largest focus. Even if everything goes right, only about 4/14 townies can possibly clear themselves, and those townies are not given any real power to go along with it. In terms of investigative power, you have Tracker, which if it targets exactly the right player, can out a nightkill, but can’t do much else, Roleblocker and Killblocker, which is the same as Tracker but can’t even confirm that player being the nightkill, and Cel’s name seer, which takes a lot of time and carries a low chance of very meaningful results (note that all of these roles have between a 5-20% chance of getting a useful result as the game progresses, instead of something like Watcher, which is close to 50% since it’s not too hard to predict the nightkill, and seer, at 100%). Instead, power roles tend to be protective, which pushes the game in a more fun direction, since it allows players to survive in the game for longer. Other roles are notably absent of town killpower and almost fully absent of town vote manipulation, instead focusing on communication.
Certamen awards were built to be useful for both alignments, but especially important for town to win to make up for their overall lack of investigative power (and killpower I suppose). The competitions also had the obvious activity purposes, since they forced you to check into the thread fairly often or risk missing potential power for your team.

My conclusion from this is that the idea of reducing the amount of confirmable townies was desperately needed and something we need to see much more. Additionally, reducing investigative power was a large success and something that I think hosts in the future here should 100% try to do. That being said, this balancing was not without its failures. The truth is that by removing investigative roles while not resorting to annoying vote weight manipulation or unfun killing roles, we ended up creating way too many protective roles and the amount of outside communication was insane when including the certamina. This issue could have likely been solved by finding roles that are obscure but still fun.

The Mechanic:
First things first, thank goodness there was only one mechanic in this game because two definitely would have been too insane to have. The whole idea of certamina is that they first of all would convince players to pop into the thread more often, so they wouldn’t miss one, and secondly could provide some pretty useful powers. Unfortunately, I don’t think people wanted these powers nearly as much as they should have, since every power conveys a sizable advantage to the player who receives in regardless of alignment (I’ll justify this part more in Part 2). These events I thought were fun and easy to participate in, not taking up more than 10 minutes of your day usually, yet people clearly didn’t want it very much at all (this definitely isn’t everybody, but ~50% of people weren’t participating in them at all and some of them like Venator Celebrus and Historianus Bonus had incredibly low turnout). I’m honestly not sure at all why this happened besides prizes not being OP and perhaps laziness. Yet it seems that people enjoyed having them around, so I suppose that combined with the potential views of the thread that we got from it are worth it?
I suppose I also ought to touch on anti-claim mechanics here. I was honestly really shocked how town didn’t really seem to understand that claiming was a good option if you were about to die (it appears this may have been caused by confusion that us hosts would be the ones stopping people from claiming; not scum?) or if you got a one-shot ability like Cel’s certamen award. Instead, the town lived in fear of this strange magical presence that the OP even said couldn’t kill you. Literally the worst thing that could happen short of death is being vanillized, and there were certainly times that people should easily have claimed when that was really the largest possible risk. I think Yog’s mistake was a large cause of confusion, but also there was a distinct lack of logic applied to anti-claim compared to stuff like PMJ’s ridiculous theory involving Robin and certamen blocking. That being said, at the end of the day the fault for this mechanic not working is ours as the hosts. I’d suggest any hosts that want to include anti-claim mechanics in the future should spell them out in detail for the players, so that this does not happen again.

The Hosting:
The game was actually surprisingly devoid of your typical hosting errors, which was really satisfying from our part. Roles processing was done with barely no corrections needing to be issued to the results, vote counts were correct the far majority of the time, and we were able to quickly resolve most issues that came up or questions that we were PM’d. And while we weren’t able to post them often enough near the end of the game, I think the vote counts were still posted often enough to be perfectly acceptable. That being said, there still were a couple of major mistakes:
-The largest one was me potentially TMI’ing on Jabber. It in reality wasn’t indicative of alignment, but that’s still a really bad mistake which invites in unwanted and ridiculous speculation that luckily didn’t matter too much (hosts, keep it in 3rd person hypotheticals next time k thx).
-There were things often missed in the start of day post, such as noting the number for a majority and the MYLO reminder, that should have always been included there. This is a simple mistake but a large one.
-We basically always weren’t there to warn everybody about players being on L-2 or L-1.
-We weren’t harsh enough on activity some times and too harsh other times, making our words seem quite hollow at times (which they often were because it’s hard to modkill people without murdering game balance).

In being careful to not repeat constant hosting mistakes, we ended up missing a few simple things that shouldn't be missed. Still, I’m pretty proud of our hosting in general because mistakes are inevitable but there were quite few this game.

The Play:
I was actually really happy for the Loyalists at first this game, as Town got one scum outed by end of Day 1, Cel caught a perspective slip from Samwise on Day 2, and town lynched two scum by Day 3. Yet then, suddenly town got into a terrible mode: reads not based on motivation. PMJ and Cel attacked eachother for what was really playstyle (in their individual critiques, I’ll note why I found what they did to not be from a scum mindset) and things started to slowly go downhill when instead of building a core/pressuring more players to better evaluate them/creating a PoE/looking back at the past from interactions with scum and evaluating with the hard evidence that is votes, town started to just get a consensus scumread for the day and then stop evaluating for then (the main exception to this is Yog, who did in fact try to clear/be suspicious of people based on wagon formation, but actually got attacked of all things for doing so). Meanwhile, Drac just sat happily in his Venator Celebrus chat turning town into two sides that only scum really managed to stay out of (mostly since every player’s thoughts this game consistently led back to ever-centralizing PMJ).
I think the largest generic takeaway to the town from this is to not get complacent and to do any of those things I listed above because this whole consensus scum thing really got nobody anywhere, but the second largest is simply to use actions along with words. When I can get better reads from analyzing the D3 t/s wagons (PMJ, Jabber, Yog, jplap town; Samwise, Cel scum (though in reality with a bit more thinking, they’re never s/s so really if you hit right the first time you don’t need to lynch the other); scattered, Drac likely scum for being offwagon), than town could give me due to all the hysteria, there’s a problem. Or when PMJ townread Samwise for seriously voting what he knew to be town over scum, there’s a big problem.

I guess the main thing I’m trying to say here is that when we have so few posts in a game, it’s not too large of a challenge to do some research on the past instead of purely focusing on the present. If you keep up the desire to scumhunt that you have early game, you can get really good results lategame by doing any of those things that I suggested. Just please please please don’t get into back and forth fights that are basically OMGUS, because wall tunneling messes up much more often than it succeeds.

Tl;dr:
-Reducing investigative power is very good thing. Replacing investigative roles must be done carefully, however, to make sure other types of roles don’t get overemphasized.
-The certamina were rough around the edges, but generally a good idea. Prizes, however, could have been better.
-Anti-claim mechanics needed to be more transparent so people didn’t create an elaborate fantasy of what they were.
-Hosting went well overall, but we made some simple mistakes that should be avoided in the future.
-Play started good, but players didn’t look back at all or take any of the simple steps that could have helped town keep up their momentum.

Part of my scumhunting is, ironically, based on meta. It's very uncommon for the town to be so weak in terms of investigative strength, not to mention being x-shot lynchproof/deathproof is a really simple claim to potentially avoid getting lynched. Calling people's bluffs and testing just how lynchproof they really are is also a risk the town doesn't always want to take because going through the whole song and dance with a player only to find out they were telling the truth (and also town) just wastes everyone's time. So when I hear that 3-4 people are all claiming some sort of self-protection, something's gotta be up. My theory on Nick being the liar because his was the only one who was not provable turned out to be true, but it was too late at that point.

It was also based on what you yourself said about this game - that scumhunting based on ability results was frowned upon. This is why I didn't believe that Celever's role could see through safe claims. T_E's certamen reward was only one-shot and had a low chance of actually hitting scum, so the risk was acceptable.

I don't think the theory about Robin and certamen blocking is as ridiculous as you said it was. The only instance of someone mentioning being blocked from entering certamina was when bb said it way back in the beginning, which can probably be attributed to Samwise not targeting anyone else with it (or only targeting scum, but the point is that no one said anything about it). So when Robin came forward and said he could only block himself, it sounded like a genuine slip; something that was only mentioned in passing - once - in the very early game is easy to forget. No one even commented on it when bb said it. I was not expecting there to be two such roles in the setup.

We talked a bit about the anti-claim mechanics, and I think that it had the potential to out people as scum if they'd made a full claim and nothing bad happened to them. I have no doubts that anyone who did claim and was promptly vanillaized would have said something to the town, which would cast doubts on all previous claimants who'd said nothing. But everyone was so afraid to post anything that it never happened.

Guaranteed, the biggest reason for low turnout in the certamina was laziness. Some people just can't be arsed to do anything more than the bare minimum (and even that is a chore for some folks). The certamen rewards weren't OP but I don't think they should be. While the allure of winning a powerful ability for your team could be useful, I think the game risks devolving into focusing on the rewards. Maybe not. But participating in the certamina required almost no effort with the exception of the writing one, which I'm not surprised no one entered. Again, laziness. No one even tried to half-ass it.

As far as pressuring other people to get a better read, I mentioned that earlier in-thread. Both Nick and Samwise were pressured by you and others to post more, a lot, but they never did. Nick made a concentrated effort to post only the minimum and Samwise basically vanished after day four I think. As they say, you can lead a bad player to water, but you can't make him drink. Would my opinion of Samwise have changed if I'd had more information? Quite possibly. My read on him was based on the few amount of posts he made. If he'd been as active as Drac or any other townie and then still flipped scum I would have tipped my hat to him for solid scum play but the way it is now I think giving him any sort of props for fooling me is giving him way too much credit.

That's all I got. Fun game, good hosting. Everyone should go sign up for Drac's game, and then after that stick around for mine because it's gonna be great.

i1LC5yR-Siv.jpg

I'm looking forward to your game, PMJ. I should have mine planned by the end of it so if it's not too much, stick around even longer!

Postgame: Part 2-Player and Role Analysis

Disclaimer: Critiques here may also tend to be blunt, assertive, and a bit harsh. Please remember that I’m critiquing your play and not you the person. If you want me to dig into your play more closely for deeper opinions on how you played, shoot me a PM and I’ll try to get to it.

@quakingpunch73/@mordacazir- Piso Caesoninus
You are Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus, and you are aligned with the Loyalists. A strong Epicurean, you earned the hate of Cicero by helping his exile be achieved, despite not even being a member of the populares. You are most known for venomous speeches he made against you and your constant efforts for peace between sides that could never truly compromise.

Passive Ability: Fellow Consul
You and your co-consul from 58 BC, Aulus Gabinius, have stayed in touch ever since your positions of power. Now, you can talk to him in this tense time. You have access to a QuickTopic chat, with Gabinius (or the player with him as a safeclaim), which you can use to communicate with him.

Active Ability: Epicurean
You were a strong believer in Epicureanism, advocating for avoiding any form of pain or fear that ever could be avoided. You can now use this philosophy to help the loyalists. Once a night, you may PM the hosts ##STOP: Player. If that player would use a lethal action that night, you will try to convince them that killing is bad and they will have a 50% of not killing anybody that night. After using the ability, you may not use it again for an amount of days equal to the times you have already used this ability.

Win Condition: Eliminate all threats to the Republic.
Role Analysis:
How to Make a Free Mislynch:
-Put two town neighbors together
-Profit
Welcome to Pokebeach, where we’ve become so used to scum being in a neighborhood that inevitably town neighbors will want to lynch eachother, which is what ended up happening this game. Of course, if they defied this, the neighbors could in fact have been a great part of a towncore, with both having interesting utility abilities.
Of the two roles, this is the one that was the true mislynch bait, with the “All percentage role are safeclaims” concept being so prevalent in our community and it being quite hard to prove. Epicurean balances this out a lot, however, by being a quite useful ability. I definitely think this role ended up meeting that “scummy, albeit useful” requirement, and I’d use it again.

Player Analysis:
Morda, I gotta frankly say that this game you spent firmly in the pocket and often inactive, unfortunately making it one of your lesser performances. Unfortunately, I think the V/LA really hurt you this game, and not utilizing your QT besides what Jabber called you out for was a shame. That being said, I don’t actually think you looked particularly scummy doing what he called you out for, but not using it afterwards made it quite strange.
Best Play:
From what I can tell, you had Nick completely nailed. As I said last time I hosted a game, you need to push your convictions harder, but you were closer to the right track than 90% of townies.
Worst Play:
Simply put, Drac’s QT play caused you to be completely wrapped around his little finger. You never fully evaluated him, but you let him put theories into your head that really messed you up this game (and the stark difference between how you treated your QT with him and with Jabber really goes to show just how pocketed you were by him).

@Professor_jplap- Milo
You are Titus Annius Milo Papianus, and you are aligned with the Loyalists. As an optimate tribune, you cracked down on military force within the city, preventing thugs from using violence to stop democracy. Unfortunately, you never could nail Clodius via prosecution, forcing you to resort to other methods.

Active Ability: Slave Protection
When Clodius tried to attack you, your slaves were able to protect you, and though they had to kill him, you still were safe. Your slaves can protect others too. On Night 1 and 2, you may PM the hosts ##PROTECT: Player 1, Player 2, and Player 3. If any of those players were targeted by the nightkill, they will be protected.

Active Ability: Intimidation Free
Your biggest strength was never being intimidated, nor allowing for others to be intimidated. By cracking down on intimidation tactics, you ensured fairness for everyone (maybe with your own mob, but who’s looking?). Now, you can help everybody feel that safety. Once a night, you may PM the hosts ##DEFIANT: Player. You will carefully make sure that player’s actions can neither be blocked nor target a player besides its original target that night. This action itself also cannot be blocked nor target a player besides its original target.

Role Analysis:
Slave Protection is one of those fun abilities that allows for players to survive in the game for longer, prolonging their enjoyment while never being able to screw over the scum in lategame. Intimidation Free has some niche use for helping town roles not get redirected. It’s pretty simple, but also a good role for a setup perhaps with more disruptive roles and less other protective roles (even though this still is the only doctor).

Player Analysis:
You had an active D1 and then completely fell off the radar. I’m not sure if it was burnout or something else, but you completely gave up on the game. You at least voted for bb, which was good to see, but then became a complete inactive.
Best Play:
You voted for bb. Correctly voting there lynched scum and provided a major help to the game.
Worst Play:
All the inactivity. After posting sooooo much on D1, for some reason you completely stopped and reduced your posting to a bare minimum, to the point where you didn’t even defend yourself and got pretty badly mislynched.

@scattered mind- Silanus
You are Decimus Junius Silanus, and you are aligned with the Loyalists. Though you were a major force in running for consul, you never did much once you won it. In the Catilinarian conspiracy, you agreed with Caesar, your fellow member of the populares, and wanted only imprisonment for the traitors and besides that, all you did was propose a measure that made citizens wait longer before voting on measures.

Passive Ability: Trapped in the Curia
You have been trapped in the basement of Curia with two other players, one of which is working with the Triumvirate! You’re in trouble… unless you can find a way to catch them once and for all. You have access to the Basement QuickTopic.
The details of the Basement QuickTopic and the account you are to post in it will be given to you in a separate PM. The rules of the Basement QuickTopic will be explained in its first post.

Role Analysis:
The basement roles were mostly created as filler to bring the game balance up from 17 players to 20 (by adding two townies and a Lost Wolf). In retrospect, the chat wasn’t utilized nearly enough when Lele was around, even though doing well there had extreme incentives from both sides (killing scum and surviving respectively). In fact, the townies in this chat may have the most responsibility and swing in this game, since they are directly put in charge of killing scum.
Turning it into a masonry at the end seemed like a nice advantage for town, but at the same time it created an unwanted 50% chance of confirmed townies so that is a large balancing concern inherent there. I think it was good in this game, but if there were already a lot of confirmed townies possible in a setup, this shouldn’t be used.

Player Analysis:
You delivered a pretty consistent town scattered performance, communicating your towniness quite well, but this time around your reads were unfortunately off, mostly due to being off on PMJ as the first on your hitlist. I didn’t see the signature questioning so typical of you this game, and I think those are quite important to you and everybody calibrating reads, so it’s a shame they were missed this game.
Best Play:
Every list of scum you had as we approached endgame (jplap+Nick, PMJ+Drac+morda) pretty consistently had scum. Of course, you pushed for the wrong one in those lists, but that’s easily forgivable. (I think your big mistake when it came to pushing jplap or Nick comes in the fact that you ignored jplap voting for bb, which should have been sufficient enough evidence that he was more townie than Nick. The whole PMJ thing I’ll get to later.)
Worst Play:
This is going to be a constant theme this game, but how you handled PMJ was probably your worst play this game. You took PMJ’s ridiculous role theories and drew the exact wrong conclusion from them, when I would have considered them townie from his position. It was a bit of semi-OMGUS and semi-confirmation bias from your chat with Mariano, but it affected basically every read from you, since you started making dangerous pre-flip association reads assuming PMJ was scum without of course having the information to verify such.

@GekkisaiDaiNi- Clodius
You are Publius Clodius Pulcher, and you are aligned with the Loyalists. A creative and masterful politician and populare, you managed to make enemies with just about every politician, from Cicero to Pompey. Still, you always managed to gain the upper hand and passed many reforms, such as making executions illegal and making grain dole completely free for poor Romans in your (illegal) reign as tribune.

Passive Ability: Crossdress
In the infamous Bona Dea scandal, you crossdressed as a woman in an attempt to find the sacred name of the Good Goddess of the Vestal Virgins and seduce Caesar’s wife, a capital crime. Through some bribes, however, you barely managed to escape with your life. Now, you can use the talent you’ve learned to your advantage. Once every even numbered night, you will crossdress in the home of a random player and learn if they were at home (and therefore didn’t target anybody) that night.

Active Ability: Thugs
A large portion of your power was owed to the gangs of thugs you controlled through a corrupt guild system you enacted. These thugs can be sent to assassinate whoever you want, forcing them to stay inside to avoid their attack. Once per night, you may PM the hosts ##THUG: Player. That player will be unable to use any abilities on any other players during that night.

Role Analysis:
This was a role that I quite enjoyed designing, since Clodius has so many interesting things about him and narrowing it down to just these few facts about him was a difficult but fun process. For those interested more about this period, check Clodius about because he’s a very interesting person.
When it comes to the role itself, it’s just a simple good old town roleblocker. Crossdress has a bit more utility in a random Active Ability checker, but it really doesn’t move the needle basically at all. Nothing to write home about here.

Player Analysis:
You didn’t post much, unlike the Gekki we’re used to. Your play was utterly unremarkable considering you weren’t caught up in the thread.
Best Play:
You-uh-voted Lele and dodged activity thresholds a couple times? IDK.
Worst Play:
Based on your night actions, you seemed to be squarely in the tunnel on jplap, which was-uh-your only read this game really and was wrong.

@TOTAL_EPICNESS- Celer
You are Quintus Caecilius Metullus Celer, and you are aligned with the Loyalists. A strong member of the optimates, against Pompey due to his divorce of your sister (though you didn’t have the best marriage yourself), your alliance with Cato helped propel you to quite a bit of success, as a general, consul, and overall power player.

Passive Ability: Traitorous Wife
Many believe your wife, the sister of Clodius, to have been in many affairs during your lifetime (and to eventually have poisoned you). Unfortunately, this time it is also true, and worse. She’s telling all your secrets to the Triumvirate! As such, all your ability results will also be sent to the Triumvirate.

Active Ability: Speedily Persistent
It’s no coincidence that your name is the same as the Latin word for fast. You are quick to contest accounts of things and even once got an enemy thrown in prison for simply opposing your policy agenda so you could keep an eye on them. A prison may not work this time, but you’ll certainly stay on the trail of your enemies. Once a night, you may PM the hosts ##PERSIST: Player. You will keep an eye on that player and learn everybody that they targeted that night.

Role Analysis:
This is probably the second most powerful town investigative in the whole game, but it also gives its info to the scum, which means that it’s useful for both sides of the game. I thought that this role was super cool but we didn’t see nearly enough of it, which is a huge shame. I really hope some host uses this role or something like it in the future.

Player Analysis:
Your play this game was just simply upsetting. You specifically played for yourself rather than your win-con, and everybody noticed it and you got lynched. I hope this is a lesson for the future to not play to survive, but play for the town to win. You claiming a post-death ability did the exact opposite. And the real travesty is that you were going to survive despite this, but then you unvoted and immediately killed yourself in the process due to tiebreak procedures. Probably the most disappointing performance this game tbh.
Best Play:
You had scum as your target for the Role Oracle, sealing up Lele’s lynch D2. Good job on the read for that.
Worst Play:
This really is a tossup between claiming a post-death ability and killing yourself by unvoting. I think I’ll go with killing yourself via unvoting, because at least the post-death ability claim in theory could have left you alive to use your tracker for longer.

@Jadethepokemontrainer- Hybrida
You are Gaius Antonius Hybrida, and you are aligned with the Loyalists. Though you often wasted your fortunes and aligned yourself with your fellow optimate Catiline, you eventually help squash his conspiracy and began a tyrannical reign as governor of Macedonia. Your character was thrown into the dirt, but as always, you wish to redeem yourself.

Active Ability: Reign of Terror
As a terrible governor of Macedonia, you stole wealth from basically any source there was to steal. Ironically, after this happened, you were counterattacked and lost most of your wealth you just gained in defense. This time, however, it won’t happen. Once during the game, you may PM the hosts ##STEAL: Player, where the player is dead and aligned with the Loyalists or Triumvirate. You will take all of their wealth and abilities to use as your own, besides those involving QuickTopics.

Role Analysis:
Town Universal Backup is a nice role that’s easy to slot into a setup but pretty boring. Nothing much here.

Player Analysis:
You pulled a typical town Jade and participated in RVS before asking for somebody to catch you up in the middle of D1 and never posted again.
Best Play:
Uh-you played to your town meta? Lol I have no idea.
Worst Play:
Inactivity.

@GM DracLord- Caesar
You are Julius Caesar, and you are aligned with the Triumvirate. The Pontifex Maximus, you are the lead in Rome's Religious affairs, as well as one of its most influential, and dangerous men. The strongest member of the populares, your disregard for many ancient customs has earned you many enemies within the senate, but your ability to work with, and manipulate others, has granted you significant sway through your fellow Triumvirate members of Crassus and Pompey.

Passive Ability: Triumvirate Chat
To start a revolution, one's team must talk together. You have access to the Triumvirate communication channel, which will be sent to you in a separate PM.

Passive Ability: Better Alone
Though you truly appreciate your allies in this conflict, at the same time you must defend your own interests. As such, if your allies die, you will do your best to profit off of them and improve your skills at killing your opponents (for the Triumvirate’s sake).
If Crassus dies, once during the game you will be able to perform the nightkill and guarantee its success, no matter what protection you run up against.
If Pompey dies, once during the game you will be able to perform the nightkill without being detected as targeting anyone by Trackers, Watchers or similar roles.
If another player aligned with the Triumvirate dies before the beginning of Day 5, the next day you will be lynched at L+1.

Active Ability: Pontifex Maximus
While one can never be sure of what exactly makes a Good or Bad Omen, you are well versed in citing them as reasons for all sorts of things. Postponing elections, votes, settlements, and laws as well as promoting agenda’s, agreements and law, you have never been above using such a powerful tool to your own advantage. Once per night, you may PM the Hosts ##GOOD OMENS: Player. That player’s vote weight becomes +1 for the following day. This ability won’t work after Night 4.

Win Condition: Eliminate all the Loyalists.
Role Analysis:
This is the scum’s largest power role, being able to buff their votes, but at the same time it leaves a pretty clear trace of whose vote has been buffed, so it’s not quite as good as it may appear. It also has some nightkill boosts, which is good and simple scum utility.
This role is also one that’s built to be surviving longer than its scumbuddies and long into the game. Note this because it will be revisited later. Also, of course Drac rolls the scum with a list targeting him in both of my game. :L

Player Analysis:
Amazing job on this game, Drac, for what I’d dare say is your best performance of all time. You breathed your town game, seeming to have genuine concern on lynches and all that. You made one tiny blip that got suspicion on you, but otherwise masterminded this game into a scum win. Your posting in the QT was brilliant, and I wish you always posted in thread like that as town, because you were easily able to convince other people to listen and follow you, which is generally your biggest weakness as a player.
Best Play:
Your QT play was probably the best play I’ve ever seen in a QT, mad props for planting the BB+PMJ staged argument idea in both Cel’s mind and morda’s mind, completely turning the town self-destructive and against itself. You pocketed them like there was no tomorrow, and self-handedly won the game for the scum then and there.
Worst Play:
Your pushing on jplap looked quite artificial and scummy, particularly because you never spelled it out or really pushed it at all. In fact, that’s my challenge for you in the future: when you get a conviction as town, start pushing it and pressuring the player you vote instead of just being a static voter.

@Jabberwock- Gabinius
You are Aulus Gabinius, and you are aligned with the Loyalists. A help to Pompey, you aided in the exile of Cicero and helped to suppress revolts. You may have bribed your way out of a conviction for high treason and into the position of consul, but you still appreciate the Republic and the cause of the optimates like Pompey.

Passive Ability: Fellow Consul
You and your co-consul from 58 BC, Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus, have stayed in touch ever since your positions of power. Now, you can talk to him in this tense time. You have access to a QuickTopic chat, with Piso Caesoninus (or the player with him as a safeclaim), which you can use to communicate with him.

Passive Ability: Restoration
When Pompey ordered you to go to Egypt, you did, allowing the desired king to take back control of the area. Though your presence was then missed in Syria, you return and restored order to it. Similarly, if your vote is on a player at the end of the day but they are not lynched due to the actions of other players taking control, your vote will have double weight against that player the next day.

Role Analysis:
This is the more “townie” seeming role of the two town neighbors, which allows you to get your voice listened to if it wasn’t the last day. Jabber never made use of Restoration, so it’s quite unclear how good or bad its balance was.

Player Analysis:
Just good ol’ average Jabber, making some good reads and some bad ones. You were the only person right on Drac’s push on jplap being fishy, but dropped it for morda and then PMJ. It’s a shame you were never able to flavor clear yourself, but it’s not like you were too scummy anyways really; people hated you for very little reason imo outside of simply being wrong on your morda push.
Best Play:
You were the one who caught Drac’s votes on jplap as suspicious, which is a whole lot more than anybody in the game. Unfortunately, you dropped that for morda, but it’s still quite worth noting.
Worst Play:
Your tunnel on morda was a great deal of what people saw from you, which made you look bad upon his flip. Of course, town can be wrong and I don’t personally think scum would push a mislynch on a QT buddy like that, but for some reason the substance of your push didn’t make people agree with my thoughts.

@Luispipe8- Cato
You are Marcus Porcius Cato Uticensis, and you are aligned with the Loyalists. Beloved by friends and enemies for being absolutely incorruptible, you are a paragon of excellence in this time. Though you are a member of the optimates, you really stand with whatever is in the best interests of the people, and that means stopping Caesar from a rise to power.

Passive Ability: Caesar Roadblock
You had constant and strong opposition to Caesar, for so often trying to take his own power and legal immunities through corrupt methods. At the beginning of N0, you will be given a list of fifteen players other than yourself. One of those players will be Caesar (who is aligned with the Triumvirate). Every time a player on that list dies and is not Caesar, you will cross off another name on the list that also is not Caesar. Every time a player on that list dies and is not Caesar but another player aligned with the Triumvirate, you will cross one more name off the list.

Active Ability: Filibuster
Your ability to drone on and on and on for hours is simply unparalleled. So much so that you alone can literally halt the senate's decisions, preventing anything new from being accomplished that day. Usually people would hate you for it, but your strict morals, and adherence to the rules, and tradition means your ability to stall has actually benefited the senate, allowing you to get away with what is usually frowned upon.
Once a game, during the day, you may post in thread ##FILIBUSTER. Once you do, further voting and ability usage will be locked for the day, though it will otherwise continue as normal, ensuring whoever has the most votes is eliminated.

Role Analysis:
With a host like Vrack, it’s no surprise that Cato was made a good power role. This role is built to go late in the game, being able to assert its will in LYLO and finding Caesar more effectively the further you do in the game (countering the fact that Caesar is built to survive late into the game). As lategame roles go, I think these ideas are in general good (I especially like Caesar Roadblock), but Filibuster might be a bit unfun for all the other poor townies in the game.

Player Analysis:
Your play wasn’t very remarkable this game, but that’s not your fault at all. The flu really took you out of Day 1 and most of Day 2, but you still managed to make up for it enough to get fear killed and ended up correctly on the wagons, which shows that you were doing a great job.
Best Play:
I actually thought you were playing a really good survival style game to get the most out of your Caesar Roadblock list, and your kill really shocked me tbh because I was fully thinking you’d get deep into the list.
Worst Play:
I mean if getting the flu can be considered the worst play, I’ll go with that. Not much bad coming from here.

@Tapu Lele- Rullus
You are Publius Servilius Rullus, and you are aligned with the Triumvirate. You are most known for introducing an agrarian bill that really upset Cicero, who claimed that you were a puppet of the populares Crassus and Caesar. Which is admittedly true, except for the fact that you can’t find them yet…

You have been trapped in the basement of Curia with two other players, both Loyalists! You’re in trouble… unless you can find a way to trick them into letting you go. You have access to the Basement QuickTopic.
The details of the Basement QuickTopic and the account you are to post in it will be given to you in a separate PM. The rules of the Basement QuickTopic will be explained in its first post.

Role Analysis:
The only thing about this role that I haven’t already covered when discussing Silanus is the fact that the QT account was the same name as the safeclaim instead of the real role. This is because Rullus is such a canonical member of the Triumvirate that he’d be more likely to be voted out.

Player Analysis:
Alas, poor Lele. Got caught rolefishing early without a team to defend you and then doomed by TE’s Role Oracle. I’ve discussed a lot of your play with you, so I’m not going to get into that very much here. I really wanted to take this time to thank you for your enthusiasm and your great work once dead, correctly guessing 2/3 final scum (and being stuck in the Jabber tunnel rip), which is more than any townie can say for themselves.
Best Play:
You played D2 about as well as you could given the circumstances and never gave up despite all the cards being stacked against you (and actually got Cel to believe you). The amount of fight in you was incredible in a spot almost everybody would have quit in.
Worst Play:
Probably that rolefishing early on that caught you. It’s very unfortunate that you weren’t warned about this after last game, and that’s a lot to blame on bb and myself.

@Celever- Spinther
You are Publius Cornelius Lentulus Spinther, and you are aligned with the Loyalists. Though you received much support from Caesar, your true loyalty has always stayed with the Republic (having helped Cicero from exile and crushed the Catilinarian conspiracy) and the optimates. You were quite well known for your coin making, which you could do during your benevolent reign as governor of Cyprus.

Active Ability: Host of the Games
As aedile, you hosted gladiatorial games with extreme splendor. As it turns out, your money is also being used to fund these certamina. Once during the game, while there is an ongoing certamen that you are not playing it, you may PM the hosts ##EMBEZZLE. You will win a downgraded version of the prize for that certamen.

Active Ability: Coins Named for Thee
Having the ability to print your own coins helped you separate yourself from the famous actor who shared a name, and a similar face. While these coins weren’t worth more than regular coins, they became a symbol of your family as the tradition continued. Each Night you may PM the hosts ##GIFT: Player. Once you have three coins gifted to living players, you will be able to cash them in to learn the role name of one of those players at random.

Role Analysis:
When certamen prizes weren’t even very powerful, the idea of a downgraded prize for Host of the Games was very likely a bad one. Coins Named for Thee I feel was a really well designed ability, where about two names (Caesar and Pompey) would be canonically 100% scum once seered and two (Cicero and Cato) would be canonically 100% town. This meant that this role has about a 20% chance of getting a meaningful result, which is good power level when it comes to town investigative imo (it also has PoE capabilities and can check for safeclaims, but that’s only a small advantage).

Player Analysis:
It was nice to see you back in action, Cel. You displayed a good deal of your past skill, nailing Samwise and BB, before your QT with Drac completely destroyed you. It almost felt like you examined PMJ wanting him to be scum in advance, if that makes sense. It’s a shame you two kept suspecting eachother, since I think you two could have been a good scumhunting team together.
Best Play:
You caught Samwise from that perspective slip, and kept up that attack for a while. Unfortunately, basically everybody forgot about it once you died and townread him for some reason. Oh well.
Worst Play:
Drac completely pocketed you with his QT play, which really destroyed your read on PMJ and made you take all the heat from that theory while he emerged unscathed. It also caused you to give up your scumread on Samwise, to the point where you were willing to join him on a wagon.

@Acetrainer_Samwise-Titus Labienus
You are Titus Labienus, and you are aligned with the Triumvirate. A staunch follower of Caesar and the populares with years serving under him in the army, yet also a follower of Pompey, this whole Triumvirate idea is perfect for you! You are no lightweight in politics either, being a tribune and setting up what would lead the Cicero’s exile.

To start a revolution, one's team must talk together. You have access to the Triumvirate communication channel, which will be sent to you in a separate PM.

Passive Ability: Tribune
As a Tribune of the Plebs, killing you can only receive one consequence: the death penalty. As such, if anybody kills you or hammers your lynch, they will be given the death penalty and die two phases later as their trial ends. If this would end the game, however, they will not die.

Active Ability: Veto Power
Another advantage of being a tribune is that you have the power to veto whatever you want! In this case, it’s somebody being able to participate in certamina. Once a night, you may PM the hosts ##VETO: Player. That player will be unable to participate in any certamina during the next day and night.

Role Analysis:
This role is, interestingly enough, the only form of Town or Scum Killpower in the game outside of that Senator Accuratus and the nightkill, but unfortunately never got to be in play this game due to Samwise’s modkill. Veto Power gives scum a bit of a roleblocker that ties into the mechanic of this game, which is nothing too special. This role seems perfectly acceptable to use in the future.

Player Analysis:
I said earlier I’d talk about why you were the second scummiest player in my mind, so here you go. I think from seeing this game the idea that we use scumtells on this site to catch veterans is a foolish concept. What isn’t a foolish concept, however, is using them on a lightly experienced player like Samwise, who OMGUS’d Cel, Chainsaw Defended BB, bandwagoned on townie lynches, perspective slipped, etc. When vets know the tells and can avoid them, they don’t really work, but when you’re playing with a player with light experience, I think they become much more valuable. Late in the game, however, you did some quite good distancing Samwise, so good job for you on that.
Best Play:
When you knew you couldn’t commit much more, you just distanced yourself from your buddies, especially Nick, making them look better after your modkill.
Worst Play:
I think just the build up of all those scumtells was the worst thing you did this game. No individual thing that really stands out.

@TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK- Crassus
You are Marcus Licinius Crassus, and you are aligned with the Triumvirate. A brilliantly wealthy man, you climbed the cursus honorum by using your money to take you all the way to the top. Though politics may not be your strong suit, your impeccable business instinct gives you plenty of bribes to cover the gap for your cause of the populares.

Passive Ability: Wealthiest Man in Rome
With your immense wealth, you have been able to buy favours, and own debts to all around you. If someone needs funding, you are the man they go to. This has allowed you, certain sway with using others for your own advantage. Should someone attempt to view your alignment or role, you will always appear as your safeclaim.

Active Ability: Firefighting
You got your start by creating the first group of firefighters in Rome, and used them to execute many corrupt schemes. When a house was burning down, for example, they would not extinguish the fire until you had bought up that house for a large bargain. Now, you have a very clever scheme indeed. Once a day, you may PM the hosts ##INSURANCE: Player. At the beginning of the night, that player will have 24 hours to decide if they want to give you the information on their active abilities and have you choose their target in the remaining time that night or be blocked for the night.

Role Analysis:
This is the scum’s main investigative ability, a rolecop to scout out Power Roles, combined with a Godfather. Its effectiveness really depended on what percent of people would have accepted the insurance fraud, which is really hard to tell because Robin was the only person who the ever-unlucky Nick targeted that could actually use an Active Ability that night. I’d say this role deserves another shot, just maybe in a setup with more abilities in general.

Player Analysis:
Well you barely made it through activity thresholds and didn’t play most of the game, and the majority of players had a scumread on you, but you still managed to survive, so good job on that I guess? IDK I credit Drac more than you for that. I was actually super proud when you began to start to play the darn game in LYLO; it was really what I had wanted from you the whole time. I think your current playstyle leaves you as a boring nonplayer, but if you kept up playing like you were then, I think you have the foundation to become a good player.
Best Play:
When you finally played the game at the end! It was so refreshing to see that after you had lurked the whole rest of the time.
Worst Play:
All that inactivity. It’s simply not even playing the game and unfun for everybody involved.

@PMJ- Figulus
You are Gaius Marcius Figulus, and you are aligned with the Loyalists. A good supporter of Cicero and the causes of the optimates, your main duty during your reign as consul was cracking down on corruption. Though you were adopted, you still were able to rise to a very high position and get enough money for an incredibly expensive tomb.

Passive Ability: Crackdown
One of your most powerful actions was passing a law banning certain collegia, or legal associations. This Triumvirate certain counts as one of these. If somebody aligned with the Triumvirate kills you, you will use your last breath to limit them from communicating any more with this group. They will be unable to talk in or read the scumchat.

Active Ability: Declaration of Support
When Cicero executed the Catilinarian conspirators, you helped the Senate pass a public declaration of support for him. Now, if a player aligned with the Triumvirate dies, you can post a similar declaration. Once per night after a member of the Triumvirate was lynched the last day, you may PM the hosts ##DECLARE: Players, where the players can be as many as you want. A public declaration of support for those players helping the Loyalists will be posted in the Day Update.

Role Analysis:
I love experimenting with the idea of taking scum out of their QT ever since it happened to such effect in my game, and I wish I’d have gotten another chance to see it in this game, but everybody knows that roles that activate upon being killed never actually end up being killed. C'est le vie. Declaration of Support was supposed to make people actually do something of worth with an announcer role instead of just say “Wow great job guys!!!1!!1!!” but it had too many conditions. I still think forcing people to do something of note with announcer is a good idea, but maybe not it a form as extremely weak as this one. I would bring back Crackdown in a future game, but not Declaration of Support unless it recieved a major update.

Player Analysis:
Well it’s finally come time for the most divisive player in the game! Your push on BB I personally liked a lot (I found the fact you needed to find scumminess in almost every one of his posts annoying but the damage control argument I thought was great), but after that you got a strong dose of Hero Syndrome and that really hurt you. You never really evaluated the whole game state at that point, and instead started role-hunting, which as always led you off a cliff and your cases began worsening, as they were based not off of behavior like with BB. Even though I hated those role hunting cases, they actually seemed more townie to me than scummy, since scum really doesn’t throw out such obviously untrue and bad role tinfoil (specifically referring to trying to unclear scattered/Mariano and Yog).
Best Play:
The push on BB was quite good, even if your wall posting style and nitpicking of every single post really wasn’t.
Worst Play:
You felt too empowered with nailing BB and started not considering behavior and taking all those good townie steps I mentioned in Postgame Part 1, instead allowing logic to be circumvented with role speculation in all the wrong places, leading to many bad pushes and cases on your part and leading the town off the cliff when it came to you.

@bbninjas- Pompey
You are Gnaeus Pompeius (Pompey) Magnus, and you are aligned with the Triumvirate. With your strong support of Sulla and the optimates (which you may have turned against in this conflict, but whose causes you still are firmly with), you rose to the top of the republic in terms of political importance. Your military strength was enough to override the fact that you would be rising to all of your positions illegally and without climbing the cursus honorum. With the help of your allies, you’ve had your military become a powerful force to reckon with.

Active Ability: Controversial Bill
Many of your bills, besides explicitly being in your own interest, are very difficult to pass through the senate successfully. As such, if you barely muster through a vote, a lot of upset individuals will come to express just that. Once during the game, if you hammer somebody’s lynch, you may PM the hosts ##CONTROVERSY. That night, all players who did not vote that day’s lynch at the end of the day will use their actions on you, but you will be immune to all negative effects from it. You may not use this action the same night you use War Command.

Active Ability: War Command
As a veteran of war expeditions, you have the influence to send everybody where you want for a conquest. Now, you will send them on long and inconvenient trips to, well, wherever you want. Once a night, you may PM the hosts ##EXPEDITION: Player 1 to Player 2. Player 1 will then use their action on Player 2 that night. You may not use this action the same night you use Controversial Bill.

Role Analysis:
Scum redirector with potential of a lightning rod is a fairly typical role, and there’s not much to say about it besides the fact that’s it’s well balanced enough and common for a reason.

Player Analysis:
Last time I hosted, Drac got caught early and you masterminded the scumteam to a victory. This time around, you had to swap roles with him after the two most influential townies both thought you were scum, and I honestly feel like this might have been your worst scumgame in a while, for one simple reason that you admitted in scumchat: you weren’t able to fake scumhunt. Your posts seemed like trying to defend people (mainly yourself) rather than actually having a goal to catch the scum in the process, if that makes much sense. And despite whiteknighting a lot of players to defend them (though in a quite hedgy way in general, which PMJ caught onto), your reads list had more scumreads than townreads, which was quite strange.
Best Play:
When you knew you were going to be lynched, you gave scum advice in scumchat (specifically on the topic of nightkills) that would provide a very critical benefit to them as the game progressed and made a huge impact on the game even if most didn’t realize it.
Worst Play:
Not making a larger effort to fake scumhunt and act like you were really trying to win the game for town.

@mirdo/@Mariano11887- Pupius Piso
You are Marcus Pupius Piso Frugi Calpurnianus, and you are aligned with the Loyalists. After you protected you fellow populare Clodius in the Bona Dea scandal, you became disliked by Cicero, but still helped Rome emerge victorious in the Third Mithridatic War. Still, you never rose to fame as much as you would like.

You have been trapped in the basement of Curia with two other players, one of which is working with the Triumvirate! You’re in trouble… unless you can find a way to catch them once and for all. You have access to the Basement QuickTopic.

Role Analysis:
Everything here has already been covered.

Player Analysis:
Mirdo, your charts frankly put are cute but don’t serve a real purpose. Try to find a way to use them to scumhunt or don’t bother using them at all. Mariano, your reads tended on the side of scumreading strange play rather than searching for scummy motivation behind plays, and that ended up costing you a good amount. Also, you had a bit of issues when it came to separating reads with how people interacted with you, if that makes any sense.
Best Play:
You displayed all the qualities of a good sub, jumping into the game with energy, getting caught up, and really trying your best on those reads.
Worst Play:
Your extreme focusing on PMJ without actually trying to resolve him, which threw off all of your reads.

@Dusk Form Lycanroc/@Yog- Cicero
You are Marcus Tullius Cicero, and you are aligned with the Loyalists. A devout follower of laws, you are known for ensuring the stability of the republic and keeping steady power with the optimates as much as you could, including anti-bribery laws and crushing conspiracies. You are also known as a literary genius, the be all and end all of writing Latin prose beautifully.

Passive Ability: Orator
Much of your absolute and enduring fame comes from your orations, such as those attacking Catiline. Through the use of many devices, your work was brought to life and the formerly plain language of Latin was elevated.
Now, you can use these devices to win over more audiences than ever before. For each of the following things you say in-thread, you will earn one reputation point, which you can use to gain new powers during the night. Note: You may not claim this ability relies on your behavior or any of the devices which you use. Each technique may be used to gain a reputation point once every other day (PM posts where you use a technique so that we done miss it. You may also ask questions on what would count as each technique if you aren’t sure.):
-Use praeteritio when referring to another player.
-Use a Latin phrase (not one commonly used in English, such as AM, etc., e.g., i.e.) correctly in a sentence.
-Attack somebody for attempting to kill you (OMGUS).
-Advocate for a stoic paradox which applies to Mafia (virtue is the only good; all bad actions are equal, and so are all the good actions; the wise man alone is free, everyone else is a slave).
-Write a line in Latin dactylic hexameter (there’s a lot of resources on the Internet for the precise details of scansion, which would get you one happy host, but we’re honestly not going to hold you to anything past words being long by position and diphthongs).
-Spend at least 8 consecutive posts in a day (not in terms of multiposting, which will only count as one post) attacking one player and/or others for supporting them.

Active Ability: Reputation
During the night, you may PM the hosts ##PURCHASE: Power. You will then purchase that power. You can purchase as many powers as you wish, as long as you have the reputation points to afford them. You may only purchase each power twice during the game.

Vocal-Cost: 3 Reputation Points
You speeches are boisterous enough to get people to conform to your wishes, as long as they are reasonable enough. When you decide to be vocal, you will get automatic entrance to all certamina during the next day.

Vox Populi-Cost: 4 Reputation Points
With your orations, you can sway the people to push for what you tell them to do. When you decide to gain the voice of the people, during the next day, you will be able to PM the hosts ##POPULI: Player. The people will place a vote for that player, and will be shown in the vote count as voting for that player. Additionally, you will still have the power to vote somebody in thread that day.

Bodyguards-Cost: 6 Reputation Points
You are always at threat of death due to your remarkable powers of convincing others. This makes you in major need of protection. When you decide to gain bodyguards, you will be protected from all deadly actions that target you that night you purchase them.

Good Words-Cost: 12 Reputation Points
Just your speech, when passionate enough, can convince people to save one that you see as innocent. When you decide to use your good words, you must PM the hosts ##SPARE: Player, where the player was aligned with the Loyalists and was lynched during a previous day. That player will then be released from prison and will technically be alive, but it will be announced that they will lose their role and be unable to vote.

Role Analysis:
This is a behavior dependant JOAT, which was built to be an interesting twist on the JOAT role. The powers aren’t as powerful as your typical JOAT (which is a large mistake; JOATs simply need more powers than this), however, and you need to alter your in-thread behavior to make this work. Not only that, you actually need to make yourself scummy to do gain these powers, without being able to claim such. In order, scumtells that can be associated with this are: shading (praeteritio tends to be seen as an underhanded tactic in general), nothing really from a Latin phrase, OMGUS, using a stoic paradox that tends to disagree with playstyle, artificial posting, and tunneling. Bringing scumtells upon yourself should be properly rewarded with better rewards, but I like the concept of this role a lot.

Player Analysis:
After taking home the best scum performance last game, you did it again with a really good game, Yog! You tried to clear people for the right reasons before others started strongarming you away from it, you saved yourself on the right night before getting nightkilled, and your voting chart also had a fair deal of accuracy. At the end of the game, you got yourself to a situation where 2/3 of your suspects were scum, you just happened to go in the wrong direction there, and there’s no shame in that really.
Best Play:
Making use of the one night you could use your ability to successfully predict being targeted by the nightkill and save yourself from it. It definitely swung the momentum in town’s favor, if only for a little bit.
Worst Play:
Instead of pushing your towncore to work together and stop infighting, you let them destroy themselves to a degree. This isn’t really your fault, but that’s the best I can come up with, unless I want to blame you for the mistake you made while claiming.

@Luxinity- Bibulus
You are Marcus Calpurnius Bibulus, and you are aligned with the Loyalists. Unfortunately, you were doomed to struggle in your time in the Senate, as you were going up against Caesar and his followers, who had Money, Power, Influence and Adoration almost unlike anything that had been seen before. While you somehow managed to make Consul in the same year as him, it didn’t take long before you stepped down, perhaps out of realisation that you would achieve nothing, or perhaps out of fear as an optimate.

Active Ability: Pure Innocence
Though you struggle with incompetence, nobody could reasonably suspect you when you start wailing like a baby. At any time during the game, you may PM the hosts ##INNOCENT. You will be revealed as being a member of the Loyalists.

Role Analysis:
This is a Town Innocent Child. Don’t use it in setups with too many confirmable town roles. Not much to say otherwise.

Player Analysis:
Lux revealed and didn’t play the game. Nothing to see here.
Best Play:
You revealed yourself as a good guy at the right moment, when people were getting suspicious of you.
Worst Play:
Unfortunately, you were just confused most of the game, and didn’t ask me questions to help understand more.

@double o squirtle- Catilina
You are Lucius Sergius Catilina, and you are aligned with yourself. An insanely devout member of the optimates, you are absolutely irate at this popular Triumvirate. You are most known by your two conspiracies (though many argue the first was actually done by Caesar), but you have done many other things that the public is in supreme hatred of.

Passive Ability: Popular Hatred
You are aware that there are 8 players in the game who are populares, and you cannot stand any of them. You will win and be removed from the game when all of them have been eliminated.

Passive Ability: Political Base
Though you have many detractors, you also possess quite a few diehard supporters, which you can use in your favor. If you would ever be killed or lynched, one of your supporters will take the hit for you, allowing you to survive the first attempt on your life.

Active Ability: Pure Murder
When a wealthy woman consented to marrying you, but refused to do so with a man who had children, you took the obvious and simple step: killing your own son! Now, you can do the same to these fools. Once during the game, when there is between eight and fifteen players alive at night, you may PM the hosts ##MURDER: Player. You will have that player killed, but your base will desert you and you will lose the ability “Political Base”.

Active Ability: Party Investigation
Your desperate need to kill the populares means that you need to find out who in fact is one of them. Twice during the game, you may PM the hosts ##INVESTIGATE: Player. You will send out a senator who you promise with forgiven debts to learn if that player is an optimate.

Win Condition: Eliminate all the populares.
Role Analysis:
This is a pro-town indie, that has to kill some town roles, but also most of the scum roles to win the game. Unfortunately, this fact in and of itself probably makes it too hard for this role to win the game. Party Investigation probably needs to be useable more often, and the win-con needs to be reduced to maybe 6 players needed to be dead? At least it had a BPV and Killpower to survive longer, but it still needed more.

Player Analysis:
It was great to have you back, Cody! You played a quite good game, having better reads than most of the real townies and projecting yourself as pretty obvious town. Unfortunately, you were a too good townie, which meant you drew the Nightkill on both Nights 1 and 2. It’s not all bad though, since you were going to kill Lux that night anyway and that would have hurt your position a ton.
Best Play:
You just looked like a good townie who had good reads, which shows that you’re still a good player. Props on that.
Worst Play:
Not reading closely enough and shooting Lux was probably your biggest mistake, since it would have made players suspicious of you despite the fact that you drew the nightkill.

@OshaCraft360/@Robin Aisaga- Metullus Nepos
You are Quintus Caecilius Metullus Nepos Iunior, and you are aligned with the Loyalists. Formerly a spiteful tribune, you and your fellow tribune Cato the Younger were rivals before he protected you from being thrown out of office, despite you being one of the populares. Though you were not a good tribune, breaking many customs of the office, you did accomplish some things.

Active Ability: Early Leave
Despite the fact that it is against the law for a Tribune of the Plebs to leave Rome during their term, you did so anyway. This afforded you the benefit of not being attacked, or thrown in with the wrong crowd when things went south. It did mean you don’t get to participate in activities there though.
Once per night, you may PM the hosts ##LEAVE. During the night you can leave the city. For that night, all night abilities (including the night kill) that target you, fail. However, you cannot participate in certamina in the following day. You cannot use this ability on the same night you use Team Player.

Active Ability: Team Player
Both in your term as tribune and in consul, you shared your position with a powerful figure with enduring fame. Though you opposed them at times, with both you reconciled and worked together to accomplish important things. Twice during the game, you may PM the hosts ##TEAM: Player. That player will be gain automatic entrance to all certamina during the next day and night, and will be able to use their Active Abilities twice the next day. You cannot use this ability on the same night you use Early Leave.

Role Analysis:
Commuter is a good role, but was really bad for this setup, where there was basically never a disadvantage to leaving the town besides the fact that Team Player couldn’t be used. Team Player is a typical town boosting ability, but should have been on some different role, so that Early Leave actually had something you would leave on the table besides certamina when you left the town. Both parts are OK, but not really together and definitely not in this setup, where it was probably the most OP role out there.

Player Analysis:
This game, Robin, you played almost like PMJ’s mini-me at times, backing him up on decisions and reads until he started to suspect you. Even then, you two reconsilied and you agreed with him more, but for some reason, I felt like you never pushed your own reads (which tended to be better ones, such as Nick being scum) above his or tried to convince him to listen to you. Which is a shame, because I think that could have helped town in the end.
Best Play:
You applied a lot of good pressure, even if it may have been in the wrong directions, that could have served as a large help for town when it came to getting better reads.
Worst Play:
Despite you seeing that Nick’s ability and yours were incompatible, you never pushed the town hard to resolve you two and instead let them continue down the alley of bad mislynches.

Also, here’s my thoughts on the certamina (note that these are the unedited version on the posts, so you’ll see things in brackets that got edited in the final post and other small things like that):
Discipulus Clarus
Hello everybody! It’s time for the first certamen of this competition! We want to be sure the power rests with those that have knowledge of the vast history of our people, so we’re having a game to test your knowledge. Following will be a set of trivia questions about our history. Your job is to provide an answer for all of them (research is allowed). But correctness isn’t everything here! For every question, you will only win a point if you chose the most commonly chosen correct answer, since there will be multiple correct ones (all answers must have occurred (or in the case of people, rose to prominence) before 64 AD). The winner will be the player with the most points; in the case of a tie the player with the most correct answers that weren’t the most commonly chosen will win; if a tie still remains, the player to submit their answers first will win. Without further ado, here are your questions:

-What is a battle that the Romans lost?
-What was a slave/plebeian revolt during the Roman Republic?
-Who was a king of Rome, besides Romulus?
-What is a decisive battle that the Romans won?
-What man has become synonymous with a conflict against Rome, rather than his civilization?
-What was an enemy Rome faced while it was a kingdom?
-What was a law/set of laws present in the Roman Republic?
-What Roman general fought in the Punic Wars?
-Who was a member of the First Triumvirate?
-Who was a Roman that was declared dictator?
-Who was a Roman author?
-What civilization, besides the Carthaginians, did the Romans fight multiple wars against?
-What was a slave uprising that affected Rome?
-What was a Roman Province?

You are not allowed to communicate about this certamen in-thread or in any chats. Such communication will result in your entry being disqualified.
For this one certamen, everybody gets a chance to compete. Just send in your answers in the next 36 hours! The winner of this certamen will receive a secret prize.

Prize: Player (secretly) becomes Role Oracle (for next two phases if town), scum will get it in scumchat.
As the first certamen of the game, I wanted to start out with a nice and powerful reward to go along with a simple enough game of sheep that I thought could only take 20 minutes at most for research. The fact that only so few people submitted for this one should have told me what was going to come, but I think overall the design on this certamen was pretty good overall and would have worked out great with a playerbase who wanted it more.

Vir Probissimus
Guess what? We’re having another certamen today! This time, everybody who signs up will be added to a QuickTopic, and have until the end of the day to select who wins this prize. Whoever the majority of the group has decided on by the end of the day wins! The prize you will be selecting will be the power to command the night patrol tonight.
The player who wins this prize will be unable to be killed during tonight, and will additionally gain the ability to send the night patrol to a player’s house. They will learn all players who target them and the type of actions they were targeted with (killing, protective, investigative, or manipulative), though not which player used which type of action. This will be unable to be interfered with in any way, and will be untrackable.

You are not allowed to communicate about this certamen in-thread, but you are allowed to discuss it in any chats.
The first 6 players to like this post get to participate in this certamen, along with any players with an ability that allows them to do such.
This certamen I thought was the best one in execution this game. A group of three townies with one scum, one lost scum, and an indie had to choose who to give nightkill immunity for a night and power to, while also using that time to improve their scumhunting and reads. I think this one was used quite well, although Cel ought to have claimed the results he saw with that one. If it was done again, however, I think it would have been important to do so later in the game, so pre-made reads could also apply here.

Ludi Circenses
Salve, omnes! Today’s certamen will be held in the circus, as we will watch a wonderful chariot race! As always, there are four teams competing: the Reds, the Whites, the Greens, and the Blues. Your job is to bet on the winners. Just submit who you predict will finish in what place, like this example submission:
1. Reds
2. Whites
3. Greens
4. Blues

Whoever correctly predicts the winner will win this certamen. If more than one player predicts the winner, whoever correctly predicts the winner and second place will win, etc. If nobody is correct at a tiebreaker, we’ll move on to the next place. If two or more players are tied for winning, the player to submit their prediction first will win.
The standings will be completely randomized, but there’s more than just a guess at play. If the Reds win, the winner will gain the power to throw a player in jail tonight, preventing them from performing or being targeted by any action. If the Whites win, the winner will get to hide behind a player tonight. All actions that would target them will be redirected to that player, but if that player is not aligned with the Loyalists, the player hiding will die. If the Greens win, the winner will deflect all actions used on them the next two night onto the player that used them (including the nightkill). If the Blues win, the winner will get to target a dead player and learn who they targeted every night and their results. No matter what, the winner will remain completely anonymous if they want it to remain that way.

You are not allowed to communicate about this certamen in-thread, but you are allowed to discuss it in any chats.
The first [⅔ rounded down of those alive] players to like this post get to participate in this certamen, along with any players with an ability that allows them to do such.
This one was the golden age for certamina when it came to activity, with most people submitting for this one. I thought the idea of wanting the better prizes, but also knowing that you should try to go for individuality so you could be a more likely winner, played a very interesting mindgame in people, and the person who went for individuality the most, mirdo, ended up winning the competition. Maybe it could have been fine tuned a bit more, but I really liked it a lot.

Senator Accuratus
Though the day may be over, there’s still some action going on this night! As you leave the curia, we have this box, where you can place your name (by PMing us ##ENTER). The seventh person to enter their name will win a huge prize: the power of hiring an assassin. Along with you submitting your entrance, PM us ##KILL: Player. If the winner is aligned with the Loyalists, the player they kill with have a 50% chance of death. If the winner is not aligned with the Loyalists, they will guarantee the death of their target, unless they choose to add ##FAIL, in which case their target will not die no matter what. (Note that is kill is still affected by abilities that relate to killing actions, but can’t be redirected or blocked.) No matter what, the winner will publicly be revealed as having killed (or failed to have killed) their target in the day update.

You are only allowed to communicate about this certamen in-scumchat, and even then, you can only say who you want to kill and whether or not you want it to fail (not the timing of your submissions).
This one ended up disappointing me tbh. The one chance to get more killpower in the game, and we barely even got to 7 players submitting, and the one who did win didn’t read the rules closely enough to make a good decision. Definitely wouldn’t bring this back, even if some killpower could be interesting.

Venator Celebrus
There’s a wild boar on the loose! There’s only one thing we can do, and that’s hunt it down. Now, we need your help. Everybody will search the city for the boar, but there’s one issue: the boar will do it’s best to avoid people when possible. This means that the location selected the least by you will be where the boar goes.
Every 24 hours, there will be options for where to find the boar. Only the players who selected the least popular location (which will be selected by PMing is ##PICK: Location) will move on to the next round. When there is only 1 or 2 players remaining, they will be chosen as the winners.
Each winner will get to create a neighborhood chat with two other players of their choice. There, you will be able to talk about the game as much as you want.

You are not allowed to communicate about this certamen in-thread or in any chats.
Everybody will get to participate in this certamen, but must submit answers in time for every phase or else will be eliminated.

Locations:
-Baths (Palaestra, Apodyterium, Tepidarium, Caldarium)
-Curia (Hall, Stairs, Altar, Column)
-Forum (Rostra, Vendors, Via Sacra, Via Appia)
-Templum (Cella, Podium, Palladium, Sacred Fire)
-Walls (Agger, Porta, Battlement, Latrine)
Here, the inactivity hit even harder, with only 5 people submitting, allowing the two winners to both be scum. Funny enough, this one actually had the most influence on the game probably, as it allowing Drac to choose Cel and morda as neighbor and play them like a fiddle. I think this one would probably be best in earlygame instead of midgame like it was here, so that it could get more submissions and maybe even a second round.

Historianus Bonus
Hello everybody! Today’s certamen is designed to see who can write the most eloquent prose in the game. Those who signup will write a history of this game so far, using whatever writing style/form they want (but keep in under 1000 words and within site rules), by the end of the day.
At the end of the day, we’ll hold them to a vote during the night to see whose entry is worthy of the prize: duel to the death. The winner of this prize will be anonymous and have the ability to, before halfway in any day phase, kill another player in the game, but die of their own wounds too.

You are not allowed to communicate about this certamen in-thread or in any chats. Such communication will result in your entry being disqualified.
The first 6 players to like this post get to participate in this certamen, along with any players with an ability that allows them to do such.
Welp, this one had no submissions, even though I thought it would be a fun creative project for any people interested in it. I don’t know why people didn’t want a suicide bomb; it’s a role with a good use for town (where a suspected townie can use it so a lynch isn’t wasted on them and they can get almost a second lynch) and scum (where an outed scum can kill some confirmed townie that they worry about being in the thread for any longer). It really was a shame to see this happen to this one, but in the future, probably a larger prize should have been given for a larger amount of work required to submit.

Proelium Ultimum
Welcome to the final certamen of the game! This promises to be a big one, so be prepared for a struggle. You all have been given marble busts of yourself, and each phase, you can do one of three things (by PMing us your action):
1. Smash [remaining player who is not you].
2. Defend
3. Do nothing

If you smash a player, you destroy their bust and they are eliminated. If that player chose to defend themselves, however, your bust will be destroyed instead. If you defend yourself and no one else tries to smash your bust, you will smash your own bust of frustration. If you do nothing, but are not eliminated, you will earn yourself a Strident Smash. To use a Strident Smash, you must state in the PM containing your action that you wish to use your Strident Smash (this will replace the regular smash). A Strident Smash may be kept to be use in later rounds. A person who is smashed by a Strident Smash will die regardless of the target's action for that phase.

If the winner is aligned with the Loyalists, they will win a chance to examine a player’s bust and see if they are a Loyalist that does not have both a passive and active ability. If the winner is aligned with the Triumvirate, they will win the opportunity to examine a player’s bust and learn their role.

You are not allowed to communicate about this certamen in-thread or in scumchat, but may communicate about this in any other chat.
Every player will get to play in this certamen. Actions will be processed every 24 hours, and player who don’t submit will automatically be eliminated.
When it comes to a fun and simple game, RAF with your reads factored in seems like a good option. The power was strong for both alignments, and people participated in it for once! The end result didn’t matter too much to the town, but I think this was a good certamen that I’d definitely bring back again.

As for game MVPs:

Loyalist MVP: @Yog
Your role usage was perfect, protecting yourself at the exact right time, but your PoE narrowing down and reads were also quite good! If the other townies had the desire to take those steps that lead town closer to victory like you did, the town easily would have won this game!

Triumvirate and Overall MVP: @GM DracLord
This was probably your best ever performance in a game, Drac. Turning the town against itself so masterfully, and using QTs to full effect, you definitely had the most impact in taking the scum to a win this game. Amazing job!

Triumvirate and Overall MVP
This was probably your best ever performance in a game, Drac. Turning the town against itself so masterfully, and using QTs to full effect, you definitely had the most impact in taking the scum to a win this game. Amazing job!

Thank you for you kind words.. I must really thanks bb for being my stepping stone in this game.

The jlap vote was simply an act of transition between my gameplay. I don't want to suddenly change my playstyle as it would alert suspicioun. I gamble that if I kept a little bit of my scummy playstyle the town would just ignore it and assume I was being usual.

It was enjoyable having multiple QT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back