Finished Mafia LI: Senate Subterfuge~Game Over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Game guys. I wish I didn't out myself so early, but I'm glad to see it all work out in the end. Though it felt more like the game was turned around by modkills while town just got nowhere. Props for PMJ leading so many townie kills, creating lots of hysteria, and even forcing SM to reveal Mariano as the other mason! You are the real MVP :p

BTW, when I said I couldn't claim my ability, I wasn't really lying. I couldn't say anything about the Basement QT, or even my safeclaim.

@PMJ T_E was a tracker, but we just killed him so early in the game that it never mattered.

Also, If anyone was wondering, I did not know the other mafia members OR the people in the basement QT.

Though SM made it fairly obvious that he was in the QT, so I tried hinting towards that as much as possible.

Oh I'm well aware I'm scum mvp. But that's not entirely my doing.

Thanks for playing everybody! It was an absolute pleasure to host and I felt like the balance was actually quite close to even, which was really nice!
It was also cool to see town have success early, even if it completely went of a cliff later on.
I think the Jabber lynch was absolutely the most shocking for me: the one time town didn't focus on rolespec was the one time it could have helped. Remember when Jabber was confirmed by Cel as Aulus Gabinius? Well with morda being in a QT with Gabinius or the player with him as a safeclaim and the two scum left ostensibly being Crassus and Caesar, that's two reasons he should have been confirmed town, but instead you lynched him!
You'll get a real official postgame from me later, but for now I just want to reiterate how fun it was to host a game, especially with such a great co-host as Vrack, and thank people who actually played the game for doing so. Most of all though, I look forward to getting back in the fray after a couple of months off, so get ready for a new and hopefully improved penguin!

If a non-Triumvirate player aligned with the Triumvirate dies before the beginning of Day 5, the next day you will be lynched at L+1.

Nice safeclaim \m/

Feedback time.

The good:

I don't think I'm alone in saying that this game was fun as hell. Major props to NinjaPenguin and sometimes Vracken for the interesting flavor. Regardless of how the game turned out, it was clear that a lot of care went into each role's flavor. This isn't the first time I've consulted a wiki to help me learn more about a game's flavor, but politics in general has always been somewhat interesting to me, so I actually enjoyed reading about the various senators (read as: Caesar), unlike the Gravity Falls game where the extent of how much I cared was trying to crack that dumb cipher ughhhhh.

The certamina were a fun and interesting mechanic, allowing for players to fight for bonuses that might otherwise be relegated to a role. It's a neat way to encourage being active, and I might have to find a way to steal it for my own game because I really liked this idea. Also sorry for not joining more of them, I always noticed them at work and then forgot all about them by the time I got home.

Lastly, though the rest of what I'm about to say is going to seem like it overshadows all the good things that this setup had, I just want to make it clear that I haven't had this much fun playing mafia in a while because I lived longer than two days. My criticisms aren't about the setup more than the players, so don't think I'm tryna take a dump on your setup.

The bad:

Before I forget, I think it's bad form as a host to recommend any actions to a player. So, NP, I think your post in Triumvirate chat #197 was inappropriate. I don't think it's right telling the scum (but not the town) your plans as a host, especially when it involves modkilling someone, and that goes double for warning Drac to be careful. I don't think this had any effect on the game, and maybe it's just differences in our hosting styles, but I don't think it's a host's job to prepare the scum for a possible modkill, or anything else, really. They're already aware that their partner is missing, and they should plan accordingly without the host thinking they have to or should hold their hand.

Next, the double kill on night 6 was wholly unnecessary. This should have had a bigger effect on the outcome of the game, but it didn't (I'll get to that later). When there were two modkills on top of lynching Celever, it could be argued that it was fair to deny the scum their nightkill, because losing four town in one phase is catastrophic. I don't know if I would have done that, but I can understand why a host would do such a thing.

However...

When Samwise was (finally) modkilled and it was revealed that the scum would get to double kill, it felt like we were getting punished for Samwise's inactivity. If the idea behind denying the scum a kill when we lost 3 townies in one day was to prevent the kill count from being racked up too quickly, it doesn't make sense to allow them a surprise double kill to "make up" for losing a kill which I hope I'm correct in thinking was done for balance purposes. At that stage in the game, losing three townies in one cycle was huge and potentially game-ending. I think it was the wrong call and I want to know your reasoning behind that decision because it seems such a slap in the face, especially since no one knew it was coming.

Lastly, am I the only one that thinks day chat between the scum needs to stop? Just look at the Triumvirate chat; bb spent most of his last day plotting with his team about how to play out the rest of the game. Not only that, but both Nick and Samwise practically lived in the scum chat, which brings me to...

The ugly:

Hoooolyyyyyy shit, you guys. The town was never going to win this game.

Lemme pause real quick and give props to @GM DracLord because he deserves the lion's share of the credit for the scum win. Everyone else either died early or sucked.

The main reason why I say that the town stood no chance is because I read Samwise as hard town. If he'd been alive, I still would have gone for Jabberwock's lynch, even Robin's, over his. It could have been me, Samwise, and literally anyone else and I would have pushed them before his. So when he flipped scum, I neary blew up on NP in Discord, because no one could honestly have read him as scum, or at least deserving of a lynch. I immediately dismissed Celever's case on Samwise because it really was complete doodoo; that actually had nothing to do with my read of Samwise, or of Celever.

It's no coincidence that @TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK and @Acetrainer_Samwise were both completely absent from the thread, but they both were highly active in the scum chat. This is a really shitty way to play since it makes it impossible for the town to get a fair read on you. You can't get your posts analyzed if you don't actually post. The end result is exactly what happened towards the end of the game - all the active players, with their willions of posts to sift through, just fought each other and accused everyone else of being scum while two of the actual scum just hung back and let it all happen. They never get seriously looked at because there are other, stronger cases to pursue (because everyone else has posted enough for others to actually form a fair read on) as opposed to a couple of literally whos who have been toeing the activity line the entire game. Case in point: Even Nick was viewed as town by some, and even though it was clear he was scum after Jabberwock flipped town, the case on Jabberwock was stronger (never mind that we all forgot that we knew Jabber's role name, if I'd remembered that it woulda been gg scummies) so Jabberwock was lynched first. Nick didn't really have a lot of content to go over and at that point in the game, it could have been a game loss to guess wrong so it made sense to go with the stronger case.

This is why I take a hard line on activity and why seeing Samwise flip scum pissed me off so much. There's none of this four-strikes-and-you're-out kinda crap with me. The first offense is a warning. The next offense, you're out. I have no qualms with modkilling half the town if that's what it takes to keep the game moving. This is also why, in my last game, I barred use of the scum chat during the day. By doing so, it forces them to actually post (or get modkilled) and not just live in their qt the whole game. Read it for yourself; the scum handled themselves just fine without being able to day chat. I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'll allow day chat for my next game, because there are some advantages to being able to do so, but expect heavy restrictions if I decide to go that route.

So them's my thoughts. Again, despite all this salt pouring from every orifice I did have fun and this was a cool game.

PMJ Awards for Mafia 51 go to:

@GM DracLord, for being a real man and actually playing instead of hiding in the scum chat like a wuss
Me, for getting all of my hard scum reads obliterated and also for making it really easy for the scum to decide who to kill
@NinjaPenguin, for a cool game

1505669415621.png

Also this marks the second time where I read Drac as town and he was scum. Pretty sure I'm just gonna push his lynch every game from now on, just to be safe \o/

Welp. That was unexpected. By literally anyone.

I totally agree with PMJ, activity must be put in check. It still makes me sick when I see Nick posting "segmenting to fill the post quota". I mean, you're posting the bare minimum so people don't even remember you're playing.

Re: PMJ's Post First off, thanks for all of the compliments! It was a fun game to host and it seems like it would be to play from the feedback of you and others, so hopefully I can give some game design tips in postgame that could help our hosts create games more like this if that's what the site wants.
You have to tell Drac that you're highly considering modkilling Nick because it would absolutely be the worst possible situation to quickhammer as mafia and reveal yourself in the process when you're Drac and have been playing an amazing scumgame up to that point.
The double nightkill was potentially questionable due to cleared townies but done for the numbers. With Samwise gone but not two nightkills, town would have one extra mislynch, which is completely unfair to the scum who the modkill are out of their control.
I actually found Samwise to be the second scummiest scum this game and that one will for sure be explained in the post game so stay tuned for that ;).
Re: Slackers There wasn't much we could honestly do because scum barely dodged thresholds a ton and modkills screw with game balance so hard. In the future, more room for subs would be good (and hopefully I have the connections after Champs to get us some fun numbers if needed :p) but by the time the game started it was already too late rip. But yeah, playing the game will 100% be featured in my opinions of everybody in the postgame.

Also this marks the second time where I read Drac as town and he was scum. Pretty sure I'm just gonna push his lynch every game from now on, just to be safe \o/

No, Please spare ono great one., anyay PMJ thanks for oushing all the town lynches, that really orevented me to pick you as a kill candidate

The first game when I didn't die, I help a mafia win. Great! Said I'd thank Mord at the end so I will. Thanks man. I actually expected to be lynched day one to be honest. And, I'm sorry about my activity as I have spotty internet access so I had to segment on the last few days.

What made me even happier than surviving past day 2 was getting Robin to reveal his whole role. That was the only info I'd gotten from my ability all game.

Thanks for the game NinjaPenguin and Vracken! I think it ran rather well as a whole - flavour was fantastic, the scumhunt was the focus (and not outshadowed by the game design), modkilling was dealt with minimal impact, discussion was lively and drama was high enough. The activity of the game seemed good too - and probably improved after the back and forths of Day 3. I have to admit that I was not at all expecting a mafian win - the nightkill was prevented three times, one of us got modkilled, another was at risk, Lele got cop’d and outed, and Drac /Aqua / Samwise were constantly sprinkled through everyone’s scumreads, so hey! Not everyone participated in equal amounts as you’d expect, but it was great to see that basically everyone participated enough to have base interactions and information (including that vote-related) to formulate decent connections and reads. (In fact, I found the least active players easiest to develop reads on than the more active - but because people tended to make reads in the moment, it was harder on the less actives since they were naturally around less.)

I’m glad to see an alternate scum-kill strategy work! Instead of killing the most active and experienced players, the scum killed people who they predicted would support their wagon in future, and kept alive those who they thought would steer discussion in different directions. A rather funny trend that I noticed was that most of the active players ended up getting lynched over mightkilled, if they ended up dying at all.

Drac asked for my and Sam's input on the kill when needed. At one point we were speaking of the possibility of a doctor choosing scattered and I was like, no, that won't happen this game. I've been working on my own game but it's not done yet.

One problem we had hosting came down to the number of people that subbed out early. Far more than anticipated or could have been handled, and perhaps we should have had one or two fewer roles out there for the later activity drops as is bemoaned by some of the players this game.

At the end of the day though, I believe that to be a little too far out of our control. We had 4 people sub out, and 3 more need to be modkilled. That is a pretty large number of people, and I think something needs to be done about those who are modkilled simply because they can't be bothered to play, rather than those who run into unexpected life events. Unfortunately there is no easy solution, banning them from playing just means that there are fewer players for the future, even if it is only a ban from the next couple of games.

p.s. I think this vindicates my being blasted in the past for calling for lynches on less active players. Can't tell who they are if you don't threaten/ignore them for inactivity.

Maybe there should be one game where the Mafia does not kill at all, just trying to survive, while the nightkill is an auto kill for the player with the fewer posts.
Town would need to rely on reading into who got targeted by scum, meaning that scum would have to have certain abilities to hurt the town to compensate for their inability to kill. A nice ability can for example be lowering the amount of posts a player has by X number so they'll have to post to not get killed. etc..

Yeah it invites fluff, but fluff is better than nothing, I guess.

Also a big part of why I think this game went inactive for many players was the wall of texts from bb and PMJ. People need to stop writing so much and learn to summarize their thoughts. Nobody is going to read your third wall of text fully.

Last edited:
Predetermining the night kill takes away the mafia's best weapon and turns the day game into a spamfest to see who can dodge the bullet, especially when several people are in the running for last place.

Predetermining the night kill takes away the mafia's best weapon and turns the day game into a spamfest to see who can dodge the bullet, especially when several people are in the running for last place.

You can play around this perhaps by limiting the overall amount of posts a player can have. I know there are potentially many flaws, I just thought of that as a concept, so a lot of trial and error is indeed necessary to go through to see this kind of game succeed.

Maybe there should be one game where the Mafia does not kill at all, just trying to survive, while the nightkill is an auto kill for the player with the fewer posts.
Town would need to rely on reading into who got targeted by scum, meaning that scum would have to have certain abilities to hurt the town to compensate for their inability to kill. A nice ability can for example be lowering the amount of posts a player has by X number so they'll have to post to not get killed. etc..

Yeah it invites fluff, but fluff is better than nothing, I guess.

Also a big part of why I think this game went inactive for many players was the wall of texts from bb and PMJ. People need to stop writing so much and learn to summarize their thoughts. Nobody is going to read your third wall of text fully.
Nightkill being limited to some tier of bad posting players seems good, but maybe bottom half or something instead? IDK scum getting a nightkill is really important for scum to be able to PR hunt and tampering it would need a lot of counterbalancing.

This ought not invite fluff because it's a pretty bad decision to let multiposts count as more than one post in activity terms unless they were quite separated (I'd say by ~30 minutes or more). Anything else is just activity and we need all we can get.

100% agree that wall fights on this game are ridiculous because it devolves into:
"I didn't do this; here's my explanation."
"Your explanation sucks and here's why."
"No I didn't do this; here's my explanation."
"No your explanation sucks and here's why," etc.
We also have this terrible habit of never letting anybody get the last word, which means people don't follow up on essential points and instead press what doesn't even matter (not to mention apparently cases require half a player's posts to be analyzed because clearly scum lets their motives show so transparently so often?). FWIW, cases and how we treat them put what is basically tunneling and scumtell lists above what are very arguably better ways of getting a read, like analyzing progression or tone.

Last edited:
Hm can't say I really like the outcome of this T_T The last day is a bit messy in my opinion. I considered the fact that the hosts would modkill Nick for not posting before the first hammer. I was sure he was scum just as much as I wrongly suspected Jabberwock >.> Although Nick's final confrontation with Jabber kinda revealed that they were not on the same team. I did want to unvote after those comments, but I also didn't want to ignore both hammers.

Bad aftertaste beside, it was still an entertaining game and I thank everyone for playing. Sorry for the wrong last day assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back