Levincia Gym Leader Iono Introduces Bellibolt, the EleFrog Pokemon

This new game has been a big let down so far. None of the pokemon look interesting outside of a pig and a giraffe. New region had promise but they lack of gym leveling is really a big let down. Sigh seems like a one time play through and shelf situation like Galar was.
Just don't buy it at all? Maybe the games will improve if people stop spending money on them despite the fact they're unimpressed by them.

I'm sad to see so much disappointment, it only seems to make me feel a little disappointed. As others have said, opinions are subjective here, so my opinion is that I am LOVING the marketing cycle and current reveals so far, despite feeling somewhat disappointed at what we've seen so far.

Iono is cute AF, I love this gym personality, it's very fun, but I love the Japanese inspired persona. Bellibolt? I would die for. I'm also really impressed with other new mons like Ceruledge, Armarouge, and Farigiraf. When I look at a lot of these mons I just think about "I hope we get some really great TCG art for them". Being a fan since the beginning, it doesn't take much for me to build some sentimental attachment to a handful of Pokemon from each gen. I do hope we get some better reveals soon, because I do agree that it feels a little weak right now. Fingers crossed!!

People are having a civil war on the comments lol.

Looks cute. Maybe will evolve into a electric/ground type? It was seen using mud bomb.

Frog gang rise up

For me, part of the problem is that we have more than enough Pokémon. This is something I've said for years, and I stand by it. You can introduce new Pokémon here or there to drum up excitement – the way you debut new Pokémon like Lucario, Zoroark, etc. to get people interested in the films, Meltan/Melmetal to get people interested in Go/Let's Go, but there isn't a need to keep debuting entire new generations of Pokémon ...except that's what some people seem to want.

And it's these people that I feel are missing the forest for the trees when they get upset at the initial reveal of Iono as the new Gym Leader, apparently because it didn't debut a new Pokémon alongside. Who cares for the new Pokémon anymore? We have, like, 800 of them. A new game can feature new regions, new characters – new contexts for Pokémon to appear in, new methods of engaging with them, and sure you can have a handful of new Pokémon every now and again, but the value in debuting c.100 new Pokémon every 2-3 years is now well into diminishing returns territory.

I'm actually quite fond of a number of Generation 7 Pokémon, but I'd have to admit none of them explore new territory – they're all more or less redundant to concepts already explored better on other Pokémon. Nothing about any of the Gen 9 Pokémon we've seen really strikes me as "oh wow that's new", more "ok but they already did this on other Pokémon before and I'm quite fond of those ones."

Everything is already pretty redundant in Pokemon, and the parent companies don't seem to be very interested in exploring new territory other than so-so gimmicks that are immediately abandoned. And that's ok for what it is. I'd be excited to see them explore something new, but I doubt it.

So new Pokemon designs are the most exciting thing to me. They're the main characters and the only new things that stick around from gen to gen. I've been enjoying regional variants as much or more, though, because it can draw directly from a region, and allows them to explore different design directions that were scrapped previously, etc. I'd honestly be pretty happy with generations of 30 new Pokemon and 70-80 new variants.

When i saw the frog I laughed so hard it just looked a bit ridiculous, but when I took a closer look, I actually did like the design

People will always hate on the new Pokemon. It's just a cycle

Gen 3: What the, this is repetitive trash!!!! Pokemon used to be better and i'm not saying this because of nostalgia

Gen 4: What the, this is repetitive trash!!!! Pokemon was so good in gen 2 and started slipping gen 3 and i'm not saying this because of nostalgia

Gen 5: What the, this is repetitive trash!!!! Pokemon was so good in gen 3 and started slipping gen 4 and i'm not saying this because of nostalgia

Gen 6: What the, this is repetitive trash!!!! Pokemon was so good in gen 4 and started slipping gen 5 and i'm not saying this because of nostalgia

Gen 7: What the, this is repetitive trash!!!! Pokemon was so good in gen 5 and started slipping gen 6 and I'm not saying this because of nostalgia

Gen 8: What the, this is repetitive trash!!!! Pokemon was so good in gen 6 and started slipping gen 7 and i'm not saying this because of nostalgia

You are here -> Gen 9: What the, this is repetitive trash!!!! Pokemon was so good in gen 7 and started slipping gen 8 and i'm not saying this because of nostalgia

In due time Bellibolt will be seen as a cute pokemon as whatever new pokemon shown in 5 years is shit on.

They're hair clips that someone made for her, I assume she has an assistant or gym administrator controlling them for her off to the side
I thought maybe they could be accessories sent by fans from the Iono zone. But still, was kinda hoping for a magnemite preevolution. Would be nice even if its unnecessary and similar looking. ??

Also, what's up with the Piranha teeth..? ?‍?

Last edited:
People will always hate on the new Pokemon. It's just a cycle

Gen 3: What the, this is repetitive trash!!!! Pokemon used to be better and i'm not saying this because of nostalgia

Gen 4: What the, this is repetitive trash!!!! Pokemon was so good in gen 2 and started slipping gen 3 and i'm not saying this because of nostalgia

Gen 5: What the, this is repetitive trash!!!! Pokemon was so good in gen 3 and started slipping gen 4 and i'm not saying this because of nostalgia

Gen 6: What the, this is repetitive trash!!!! Pokemon was so good in gen 4 and started slipping gen 5 and i'm not saying this because of nostalgia

Gen 7: What the, this is repetitive trash!!!! Pokemon was so good in gen 5 and started slipping gen 6 and I'm not saying this because of nostalgia

Gen 8: What the, this is repetitive trash!!!! Pokemon was so good in gen 6 and started slipping gen 7 and i'm not saying this because of nostalgia

You are here -> Gen 9: What the, this is repetitive trash!!!! Pokemon was so good in gen 7 and started slipping gen 8 and i'm not saying this because of nostalgia

In due time Bellibolt will be seen as a cute pokemon as whatever new pokemon shown in 5 years is shit on.
Honestly, I'm still somewhere between Gen 3, 4, or 5. There's a number of Pokémon I like past that point but to dismiss this as solely cyclic cynicism that washes over with time is silly.

I thought maybe they could be accessories sent by fans from the lone zone. But still, was kinda hoping for a magnemite preevolution. Would be nice even if its unnecessary and similar looking. ??

Also, what's up with the Piranha teeth..? ?‍?
It's better that we don't get anything Magnemite related. Gen 3, 4 and 6 all basically have nothing in terms of Regional forms, I say ?? to gen 1 Regionals

As for the teeth....yeah, It's a kink thing. Don't look on twitter after a sharp-toothed character is revealed

I don't even really see that many people hating on this Pokemon? Most people in this thread really like this lil guy- including me- and the Pokemon twitter account's reveal pictures are getting tens of thousands of likes as always

Idk bro it kinda feels like you're trying to start an argument with a small group of people who aren't even here for internet points

"It's a cycle" is reductive. I've been a fan since Gen 1. I loved a lot of Gen 1-2 Pokemon upon release of those games and still do. I disliked a lot of the Gen 3 Pokemon on debut in 2002 and still do. I've not liked some but loved a lot more of Gen 4-8 Pokemon upon the release of those games and those opinions haven't changed. I just don't like the Pokemon they've released for Gen 9 so far. I certainly hope the games will have some ones I like, but the ones they've chosen to showcase so far are very ho-hum or stylized in ways that don't appeal to me. Considering I'm almost 35 years old now, I don't think I'm going to get overwhelmed for nostalgia for most of these Pokemon in ten years. Especially since nostalgia hasn't made me more interested in the gen 3 Pokemon I never liked 20 years ago either.

Every single one of these lines is correct.

I know this nonesense argument will come up, when Galar literally had a copy of London, Big Ben, Pokemon based on Stonehenge and the entire theme of the League was soccer, something immensly popular in Britain. Kalos was "how Japanese people imagine France/Germany" to an extent that almost bordered parody. Obviously there will be Japanese things in a Japanese game, but Paldea's Spanish influence barely extends beyond names and some visual cues, especially when compared to three previous regions.
so far.

lol, OK.
You're saying you know for sure that taking the game as a whole, the Spanish influence isn't shown except in a few names and visual cues. So far, it looks that way, yeah. Can you say this with absolute certainty? Please link to spoilers or an early download file so I can take a look as well.

lol, OK.
You're saying you know for sure that taking the game as a whole, the Spanish influence isn't shown except in a few names and visual cues. So far, it looks that way, yeah. Can you say this with absolute certainty? Please link to spoilers or an early download file so I can take a look as well.
You're totally right, it's completely reasonable to expect the trailers and marketing material for a game to be unrepresentative of the product they're trying to advertise.
Who knows, we might even get an online shooter on release.

Back