JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
In a new video released today following up from the video release on Wednesday, Iono introduced her partner Pokemon, Bellibolt, the EleFrog Pokemon. Footage of her with Bellibolt in game was also released.

Bellibolt is an Electric-type Pokemon. Bellibolt expands and contracts its body to generate electricity in an organ that looks like a belly button. Electricity is then discharged from the two bumps on either side of its head that resemble eyeballs.
The following comes via the official press release:
Gym Leader Iono​
Iono is the Gym Leader of Levincia, one of the Paldea region’s prominent cities, and specializes in Electric-type Pokémon. She’s also known as the Supercharged Streamer, ​having gained popularity online as the host of a show called the Iono Zone...

Continue reading...

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Breaking news, Japanese game made by Japanese company draws influences from Japan

Also,

>3 things make a region
I know this nonesense argument will come up, when Galar literally had a copy of London, Big Ben, Pokemon based on Stonehenge and the entire theme of the League was soccer, something immensly popular in Britain. Kalos was "how Japanese people imagine France/Germany" to an extent that almost bordered parody. Obviously there will be Japanese things in a Japanese game, but Paldea's Spanish influence barely extends beyond names and some visual cues, especially when compared to three previous regions.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
I know this nonesense argument will come up, when Galar literally had a copy of London, Big Ben, Pokemon based on Stonehenge and the entire theme of the League was soccer, something immensly popular in Britain.
Yeah, and it sucked. Like, it really, really, really sucked. I know this sort of thing is subjective but there really are limits.

I'd prefer they continue what they're doing here and use the region as a baseline inspiration rather than a be-all end-all of what the region needs to be an adapation of. SWSH did so many things fantastically wrong – it can basically be used as a text on how not to make a Pokémon game.

Pokémon is a Japanese franchise, by Japanese developers, for, primarily, their Japanese audience. That it has appeal outside of Japan is a bonus, but the wants of international audiences is not at par with the domestic interest. I've also been seeing a disproportionate number of people complaining about Iono not being dubbed, upset that a game like SV may have equal measure of Japanese influence to any other influence, and so on, and it's not to put this all on your plate, but things like this were not a common feature of discussion "within the fandom" 5-10 years ago. I can only think to blame SWSH.

Last edited:

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, and it sucked. Like, it really, really, really sucked. I know this sort of thing is subjective but there really are limits.

I'd prefer they continue what they're doing here and use the region as a baseline inspiration rather than a be-all end-all of what the region needs to be an adapation of. SWSH did so many things fantastically wrong – it can basically be used as a text on how not to make a Pokémon game.

Pokémon is a Japanese franchise, by Japanese developers, for, primarily, their Japanese audience. That it has appeal outside of Japan is a bonus, but the wants of international audiences is not at par with the domestic interest. I've also been seeing a disproportionate number of people complaining about Iono not being dubbed, upset that a game like SV may have equal measure of Japanese influence to any other influence, and so on, and it's not to put this all on your plate, but things like this were not a common feature of discussion "within the fandom" 5-10 years ago. I can only think to blame SWSH.
A huge bonus, billions of dollars worth. That's why it continued. I recalled the creator of pokemon said it was suppose to stop at the original 151 but due to huge popularity it decided to extend the franchise.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
I recalled the creator of pokemon said it was suppose to stop at the original 151 but due to huge popularity it decided to extend the franchise.
Pokémon 2 (later Gold and Silver) was already in development in 1997 (if not 1996) and a demo was publicly shown at Spaceworld 1997. Red and Blue released in North America in 19998.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Man I am just not vibing with any of the Gen 9 Pokemon so far. The list of new Pokemon I like enough to use on my team is basically only Sprigatito at this point and I don't trust that the evolutions will be good either.

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon 2 (later Gold and Silver) was already in development in 1997 (if not 1996) and a demo was publicly shown at Spaceworld 1997. Red and Blue released in North America in 19998.
Nevermind, it was about the anime. Still, I could've sworn reading the creator of pokemon keeping it at only 150-151. I will look it up later.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
Man I am just not vibing with any of the Gen 9 Pokemon so far. The list of new Pokemon I like enough to use on my team is basically only Sprigatito at this point and I don't trust that the evolutions will be good either.
For me, part of the problem is that we have more than enough Pokémon. This is something I've said for years, and I stand by it. You can introduce new Pokémon here or there to drum up excitement – the way you debut new Pokémon like Lucario, Zoroark, etc. to get people interested in the films, Meltan/Melmetal to get people interested in Go/Let's Go, but there isn't a need to keep debuting entire new generations of Pokémon ...except that's what some people seem to want.

And it's these people that I feel are missing the forest for the trees when they get upset at the initial reveal of Iono as the new Gym Leader, apparently because it didn't debut a new Pokémon alongside. Who cares for the new Pokémon anymore? We have, like, 800 of them. A new game can feature new regions, new characters – new contexts for Pokémon to appear in, new methods of engaging with them, and sure you can have a handful of new Pokémon every now and again, but the value in debuting c.100 new Pokémon every 2-3 years is now well into diminishing returns territory.

I'm actually quite fond of a number of Generation 7 Pokémon, but I'd have to admit none of them explore new territory – they're all more or less redundant to concepts already explored better on other Pokémon. Nothing about any of the Gen 9 Pokémon we've seen really strikes me as "oh wow that's new", more "ok but they already did this on other Pokémon before and I'm quite fond of those ones."

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I know this nonesense argument will come up, when Galar literally had a copy of London, Big Ben, Pokemon based on Stonehenge and the entire theme of the League was soccer, something immensly popular in Britain. Kalos was "how Japanese people imagine France/Germany" to an extent that almost bordered parody. Obviously there will be Japanese things in a Japanese game, but Paldea's Spanish influence barely extends beyond names and some visual cues, especially when compared to three previous regions.
As far as you know.

Bewear The TERRIBLE

Rogue TCG Player
looks a bit weird. Kind of incomplete. Maybe have a charge form or something to add some spark glow on the head and belly? Oh well, at least its an electric frog which is fun. 😃😁

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
Also, someone please explain the unusual magnemite.. 😵‍💫😵‍💫
They're hair clips that someone made for her, I assume she has an assistant or gym administrator controlling them for her off to the side

As far as you know.
Based leak follower. No, but seriously, why aren't they revealing more of the leaked Pokemon that take clear influence from Spain? We know they exist...

pokemon fans have good tastes challenge 2022 (impossible difficulty)

dmein89

Aspiring Trainer
This new game has been a big let down so far. None of the pokemon look interesting outside of a pig and a giraffe. New region had promise but they lack of gym leveling is really a big let down. Sigh seems like a one time play through and shelf situation like Galar was.