Kingdra, still the King of water ? or All washed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastbayTrainer

Ill battle if you dance
Hello Im an Old player coming back, and I usually play Kingdra only ( played Kingdra EX delta and Kingdra LA ) and I was wondering if Kingdra was still usable or is sitll good?

RE: Is Kingdra Still good?

Kingdra is not a top tier meta deck, but it's still viable. 3 Kingdra Primes (Unleashed) and 1 Kingdra LA is the standard spread, it plays pretty much the same as the LA Kingdra, but you don't have to discard as much. If you have at least 2 Kingdra Prime, and your opponent isn't playing a fire deck, you're doing just as much damage as the LA Kingdra, without discarding. Run 4 seekers to make donking easier and to recycle your Uxies. If you run into a fire deck, sweep them with LA Kingdra. Kingdra has trouble with LuxChomp, so adding a secondary attacker would be a smart choice. Donphan with Rainbow Energies can run through a whole LuxChomp deck (until they poison him with Crobat G, but you should play Warp Points anyway), and Kingdra with Abomasnow [SF] is a pretty good spread deck. Abomasnow is not a hard counter to LuxChomp, but it can tank some hits from most SP's, and it can waste their Poketurns with Below Zero.

Hm what would a general build feel like? I have all cards like from platinum down practically idk why but so it seems like a spread damage then deal damage. Is Fire that like... Popula?

Fire isn't really popular, but you don't want an autoloss as soon as someone drops a Blaziken FB tech or something. Blaze FB is the main Fire pokemon in the current meta, but mostly as a tech against Trainerlock.

4-3-4 Kingdra [3 Prime, 1 LA]
2-1 Uxie LV.X [LA]
1 Azelf [LA]
1 Unown Q [MD]

3 Pokemon Collector
3 Bebe's Search
1 Palmer's Contribution
4 Rare Candy
3 Broken Time-Space
4 Pokemon Communication
4 Seeker

6 Water Energy

This leaves 16 spaces for techs, more energies and speed cards. About 9-10 Energies should be enough, maybe up to 12 if you decide to run Abomasnow. The new Junk Arm trainer makes Poke Drawer+ much more useful, so 4 Pokedrawer and 2-3 Junk Arm should help your speed. A few Smeargle [UD] and a second Unown Q give you a nice starter (Smeargles power copies a supporter from your opponent's hand). A third Basic Uxie is another good speed option. If you want to play more conservatively, add warp points and Super Scoop Ups to recycle your Kingdras (Warp point to get them on your bench, then Seeker them up). Depending on your meta, choose if you want to run a secondary attacker, add a 1-1 or 2-2 line of it and the appropriate energies, and test it.

wow seems so different then how I ran straight LA kingdra. So whats the basis of his whole game? He doesnt seem to have his Early mid and strong late game like before.

^Hit fast and hard. That's pretty much it.
Also, Charizard AR is a popular Fire Pokémon in some metas. Just thought I'd mention that. Before you add a tech for LuxChomp, though, I'd see what the decks are in your area to find out if it's worth it. Usually there's lots of LuxChomp as it's arguably the BDIF, but you might not have a lot near you.

If your metagame has more Fire Pokemon in it (like Blaziken FB or Charizard AR), then I'd recommend running two Kingdra LA and two Kingdra Prime, since Kingdra Prime's Dragon Steam does less damage if your opponent has any Fire Pokemon in play. Luckily, Fire isn't too popular (as TheBugManiac stated).

tbh, Kingdra is a horrible play right now. With the amount of LuxChomp being played, and the amount of Blaziken being teched into it, Kingdra is going to have a tough time winning.

Kingdra, in my opinion, has the same early/mid/late game. You're generally just doing 60 + Splash Sprays every turn, so not too much of a difference.

Are Water pokemon in general Usable? Ive always used Water pokemon as a main ( Kingdra, Delcatty ( blastcat ), EEveelutons of glaceon being the center, Empostar ETC )

The best Water-based deck is Gyarados (SF). Gyarados uses Sableye (SF) as its starter, being able to T1 use Impersonate on Pokemon Collector to get two or three Magikarp and a Regice (if you only get two Magikarp). Gyarados would then use Regice or Junk Arm (if there is a Trainer in the discard) to discard three Magikarp in your hand. Then, by setting up a Gyarados SF, you can do 90 damage for no Energy. By adding Expert Belt and Crobat G/Poke Turn, you can do 110+ damage for no Energy. Also being able to use cards like Rescue Energy to pickup Gyarados and Magikarp after getting KO'ed, Super Scoop Up/Broken Time-Space to pickup Gyarados, play it back down again, and be able to attack, Gyarados is one of the best decks in the format.

Hmm I may Do gyarados, hes a Dragon ( in theory not type ) right lol... The Dragon Tamers may come back.

If you want to run Kingdra, you need to have an anti Luxray tech such as Donphan or Machamp.

Yes, actually. Luxray GL Lv.X has the Poke Power known as Bright Look, which allows you to choose one of your opponent's Benched Pokemon and switch it with the Defending Pokemon when Luxray is Leveled-Up. If Luxray's Power is ever needed to be re-used, then the Luxray player could just Poke Turn Luxray to put Luxray GL Lv.X back into the player's hand. Thanks to this, and the fact that it is able to work with the SP engine, Luxray GL Lv.X is an extremely dangerous card. Against Kingdra, after playing Lucario GL on the Bench, Luxray can one-shot Kingdra with a Flash Bite and Trash Bolt (assuming Expert Belt is attached to Kingdra).

This also applies to Gyarados, but Gyarados can one shot Luxray more easily and has better recovery.

Oh god... It sounds Worse then GGplox, WTH 0_o so whats considered the top decks now? like Gyara and Luxchomp?
It seems that I cant run a deck id like to with luxchomp being that good. Like gosh ... Before you could run Tyranitar, Scizor , Machamp, Kingdra, Torterra,Empo ( this is when DP up GG plox made it so you couldnt run anything but a few decks.. ) AMU, gosh... what happaned lol

The metagame ended up changing, that's what happened lol. We only play MD-on decks now, so with the loss of Claydol and Roseanne's Research along with Azelf MT drastically changed what you were probably used to be playing. Luxray, Dialga, Vileplume/Gengar, Gyarados, and Donphan/Machamp are some of the most played decks currently. Other ones are just too slow to be played with loss of high consistency in drawing and Energy search.

Kingdra is one of those decks, for sure. Jumpluff could also be lumped into the same kind of deck. These decks used to be able to play a 3-3 Claydol line and utterly mow down the opponent with wicked fast speed. Now, it's really just not possible when the only draw Pokemon played is Uxie and Power Spray and Mesprit+Seeker are so high in popularity. There's just really no place for these kinds of decks in tournaments bigger than Cities (almost no place in Cities either I'd go far to say). Typing doesn't help as well.

dmaster out.

Gosh Claydol was really that good. People dont use Dodrio or other Draw cards or are they too slow? I guess its better for a change because decks where just Claydol, staple stuff and your line.

Drawing one card does not do enough in this current format, where Uxie gives you on average 3/4, Claydol gave 3, and Professor Oak's New Theory gives you a fresh 6.

dmaster out.

Uxie donk has gotten a huge boost from Triumphant with Junk Arm and Seeker (Seeker has actually been instrumental in increasing donks as of late), but honestly donks were just as high a couple sets before the Rotation, so not much has changed on that front.

dmaster out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back