Contest July's Create-A-Card Contest & June's Winners! (Official Results!)

Uh...what?

I voted for myself. Why didn't I get third?

While I can't see who voted for what, I can say that I don't see any votes for your card, nor any votes that match the IP you used to make this post. Perhaps you closed the window before the vote was fully loaded, or your vote may have been removed if the software thought you attempted to bypass its security and vote multiple times, such as double-clicking on the vote button accidentally.

While I can't see who voted for what, I can say that I don't see any votes for your card, nor any votes that match the IP you used to make this post. Perhaps you closed the window before the vote was fully loaded, or your vote may have been removed if the software thought you attempted to bypass its security and vote multiple times, such as double-clicking on the vote button accidentally.

I did doubleclick the vote button, maybe that's why. In any case I voted me for image, and luis for text.

We can't actually stop people from voting for themselves, but we can tell them that it's lame.

Unfortunately, the August contest is being delayed for reasons beyond our control, so you all will have to wait a bit longer for winners. I don't have a firm idea for when it will be able to go up either. If the full judging is completed before we have the approval for the new contest, then we'll at least post the winners and judging into this thread so no one will be left hanging. The top 3 winners will still get posted in the Front Page article once it happens, it just won't be a surprise.

Rules can't contain me :p

Haha this was the first time I've voted myself :p Just did it for lols... I too won't do that again! haha

Would it be wrong to assume that there is no august contest?

See my post above:

Unfortunately, the August contest is being delayed for reasons beyond our control, so you all will have to wait a bit longer for winners. I don't have a firm idea for when it will be able to go up either. If the full judging is completed before we have the approval for the new contest, then we'll at least post the winners and judging into this thread so no one will be left hanging. The top 3 winners will still get posted in the Front Page article once it happens, it just won't be a surprise.

We still do not know how long the delay will be. It's possible it will be pushed back until September, but there's still 2 weeks left of August. As soon as we have more information, we'll let you know, but in the meantime, please be patient.

Image-Based Results

NOTICE: Your creativity score will look lower than you’re used to. This is because, instead of scaling the score to the new 15 points, I simply deducted 5 points from what would’ve been the score on 20. I never really gave a score too far below 10, so I figured those bottom 5 points could go to aesthetics instead. So Creativity is still just as important, all that’s changed is that it’s now easier to get a failing grade (which is arbitrary anyway).

PMJ & Athena:
VZBR9w3.png

The graininess of the image gives it an appropriately spooky feel, though I’m not sure how fitting the background is. It still looks pretty cute, though, but that’s probably because of the Pokémon itself.

All 3 of the attacks seems to serve essentially the same purpose: do a bunch of damage for not a lot of Energy. This doesn’t strike me as particularly interesting or creative design.

The wording might be a bit confusing, since it can be interpreted as healing regardless of the result of the flip, or healing only if its heads. I’m assuming it’s the first case, since that’s how it works for older cards which have a similar wording problem, like Southern Islands Vileplume and Light Azumarril (in both cases the intent is a lot clearer than here, though), older cards with effects which happen regardless of the result use “either way”.
Under this assumption, it seems like a pretty swingy move, the net difference in damage between heads and tails is usually around 90, which seems like quite a bit for 1 Energy. Healing 60 isn’t problematic when it can’t be done consistently, but this does not seem like a fun card to play against.

Mega Inferno is decent Mega-hate, but the flavour feels wrong. If you wanted to include a Special Condition, mechanically Sleep seems like a good fit, but you can’t just name the attack “Mega Inferno” in that case. I’m having a hard time imagining a Pokémon falling asleep after being engulfed in an Inferno (unless it’s the kind of sleep you don’t wake up from, which isn’t the case here). Having these kinds of attacks be flavourful can be hard sometimes, but I still think you could’ve done a better job.

Flame shot does damage. Seems fair.

Wording errors:
- Seems fine.

Fonts and placement errors:
- Ditto.

Creativity/Originality: 7.5/15
(Nothing particularly special or noteworthy.)
Wording: 15/15
(Seems fine.)
Fonts and Placement: 10/10
(Seems fine.)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(I think it’s fine.)
Aesthetics: 4.5/5
(Groovy.)
Total: 41.5/50

Jabberwock:
ZOU6z9X.png

I think θ Upgrade might be a bit too powerful as a recurring ancient trait. It’s fine on a Mega evolution, but I think it’s worth mentioning that ancient traits should preferably be a bit more generally applicable.

Meteor Hammer is a pretty nice effect. It hoses Special Energies, but without an engine it can’t be used every turn. I like the idea of forcing your opponent to manage without abusing specials every other turn.

I know that you’re trying to be fancy with the foiling, but honestly (and sadly), I think it makes the card looks a bit too messy. This looks a lot more excessive than actual scans of foils to me, and you honestly don’t need to impress me with foils when it comes to aesthetics (I’m not 10). The actual design and placements and whatnot are great, but the excessive foiling means I can’t really give you a tremendously high grade for the aesthetics, even though a non-foil (or cleaner foil) version of this card probably would’ve gotten that.

Wording errors:
- Seems fine.

- Close to perfect.

Creativity/Originality: 10/15
(Nice flavour.)
(Seems fine.)
(Pretty much spot-on.)
(I think it’s fine.)
Aesthetics: 3.5/5
(Excessive pseudo-foiling makes it look less pretty than it should.)
Total: 43.5/50

Reggie McGigas
3209812_orig.png

Iron Dreadlord seems a bit weird flavour-wise. It’s a useful effect, though the flip makes it a bit less strategically useful. Stage 1s often aren’t too interesting to play anyway, I feel you could’ve easily gone without the flip effect to at least entice people to actually play it. Though with your wording, it could be interpreted so that you can keep using the Ability…

Spinning Blades is fine. EX-hate is always good, and I guess the flavour is hard to hit anyway. Nothing too exciting. Essentially re-using Registeel OAR’s attack isn’t helping your creativity score, though.

100HP is 20 more than usual, and no resistance for psychic is weird…

Aesthetically, it looks pretty plain. It does look like an actual uncommon (‘Sugimori’ art on top of a generic background), so I guess that’s something.

Wording errors:
- You’re missing the “Once during your turn (before your attack)” in the Ability. I want to deduce 3 for this, since you should not be making this mistake considering how long you’ve been participating, but my standard penalty for this is 2, so I guess I’m sticking with that.

- The fonts seem wrong. I know the attack and ability font is too wide since you conveniently copied Registeel’s attack, and it doesn’t cut off the “EX”.
- HP font is definitely wrong as well.
- As is the name font.
- The retreat cost is way too far to the left.

Creativity/Originality: 5/15
(Nothing too creative or flavourful.)
Wording: 13/15
(An inexcusable error.)
Fonts and Placement: 6/10
(Couple of mistakes.)
Believability/Playability: 4/5
(Some weird decisions.)
Aesthetics: 3.5/5
(Very plain, but I guess that’s correct for an uncommon.)
Total: 31.5/50

bbninjas & BigfootAUS:
mewtwo_and_genesect_legend_cac_july_collab_by_bbninjas-d92v00x.png

Seems like this is a real team effort, and it shows. You’re stretching the theme a bit, though.

When I think face-up Prize cards around the HGSS era, I think of Gallade, which was such a dominant card for quite a while. That being said, I don’t think anything short of Team Rocket Returns effects (or Town Map for you youngsters) is going to be problematic, which means you did pick the correct era. Since Trainers are usually a bigger part of a deck than Energy cards (even when Vileplume was a thing, you still need to beat non-Vileplume decks and you still want to set up before Vileplume hits the table. Heck, you still need to find your Vileplume, and Gengar only needed 2 Energies, so it’s not like this is bad against Vileplume decks either. Vilegar rand about 38% trainers and 16% Energies), you will be doing quite a bit of damage once you get going. There’s also a bit of a snowball effect here, since every time you knock out a Pokémon, you’re incentivised to just take an Energy card out of your Prize cards, increasing the damage you’re doing. Though I guess the snowball does start shrinking once you start being forced to take trainer cards.

I don’t think it’s overpowered, though. Most of the LEGEND Pokémon seemed quite strong at the time, but as far as I can recall failed to shine in any significant way. This one would probably end up in the same boat. A high set-up cost combined with your opponent getting 2 Prize card for KO’ing it means you really need a big incentive to want to play these.

Setting power level aside it really is a neat effect. Using Prize cards as a resource has been done before (again, by the dreaded Gallade), but using the content of those Prize cards is pretty creative. Being able to manipulate your opponent’s Prizes is also pretty neat. It also creates some interesting deck building decisions when it’s part of the metagame. To what extent do you want to cripple your deck in order to reduce the damage this card is likely to deal to you? Sadly, the answer will probably end up being: not much. Unless you’re playing like Energy-less Gyarados, your opponent will start flipping their own Prize cards before flipping yours (they did build their deck with this card in mind, and they have control over what cards get taken), in which case you’ve already taken a significant chunk of damage (your Prize cards will only start to matter after around the third attack, I’d wager, and only to a significant extent if your opponent failed to find an extra 40 or so damage in their own Prize cards). It also creates a very interesting sub-game when it is actually attacking, which is always nice.

Aesthetically this looks pretty great. Mewtwo and Genesect look perhaps a bit too much locked in combat for what is supposed to be a team (which I guess is a flavour fail for most of the 2-Pokémon (which are a flavour fail to begin with, but whatever), but none of them take it is far as this. Most just involve angry glances), and the distortions of the text don’t match the art as much as one would expect (it’s harder to do with the current art, but that doesn’t mean you should just add random wavy bits), but those are really just nitpicks. It has a very science fiction feel to it, which is definitely nice. It does look a bit too computer-generated and not quite vibrant enough to get the full 5, though. Still a great job, though.

Wording errors:
- I’m not a fan of the wording of Coruscation Surge. The references you used do a singular action to multiple targets. What this attack is doing is doing 2 different kinds of actions to 2 different kinds of respective targets. Your wording is making it seem like you’re choosing between cards when in actuality you’re choosing between cards and linked actions, which makes the word “combination” seem out of place. Better and less confusing wording would’ve been “Choose 3 in any combination of face-down Prize cards or face-up Prize cards. Flip each of the chosen Face-down Prize cards face-up and flip each of the chosen Face-up Prize cards face-down” or even “Choose 3 prize cards and for each one turn it face-up if it is face-down or turn it face-down if it is face-up.” There’s no official wording for this kind of thing that I know of, but I do think your wording for it is wrong.

- The text is all over the place, what’s up with that?

Creativity/Originality: 13.5/15
(Interesting use of design space.)
(Weird wording in the attack.)
(All over the place Seems spot-on.)
(Despite the big paragraph above, I think it’s probably fine.)
(Vewy pwetty.)
Total: 46/50

Professor Palutena & professorlight:
CAC-Doublade_zpsvr9ittzf.png

The Ability is nice. I like how you’ve used the theme of the contest to inspire the flavour. The effect itself is nice as well, as it does allow for some fun combos and whatnot, but the set-up cost is quite high. It’s a bit weird that getting 2 swords doesn’t really increase damage, but sure, something you have to make concessions.

Duo surprise on the other hand is neither creative nor flavourful, which is a bit sad. It’s strong and useful in a pinch, which I guess is good on a stage 1, but that’s about all there is to say about it.

You gave Doublade metal as a type, so I’d kind of expect a Fire weakness and Psychic resistance, not a weakness to psychic.

The colour of the Psychic Energy is a bit hard to see on the steel background, which I guess is an unfortunate results of trying to go with a flatter style. I still kind of think the HP is too big, the “HP” a bit too small, and the frame beneath the HP a bit too tall. It all looks a bit weird in the top right corner, and as I noted when I originally reviewed this blank, the HP usually never sticks out above the type. Otherwise the concept behind these blanks is pretty sweet.

Wording errors:
- You forgot “(before your attack)”.
- Since Doublade is no longer a Pokémon, the reminder text “(excluding this Pokémon)” is incorrect.
- You forgot “during” before “this turn”.

- The retreat cost symbols look a bit low. Didn’t think I’d be pointing out placement errors on custom blanks, but here we are apparently.

Creativity/Originality: 11/15
(Nice flavour/effect for the Ability.)
Wording: 11/15
(2 regular and 1 minor error.)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(Retreat cost is a bit low.)
(XXX)
Aesthetics: 4/5
(The blank is nice in general, but some things are a bit out of place, most notably the big HP. Nice art.)
Total: 40/50

aernold:
oras_ex_water-2-jpg.8637

Hydro Barrier is Verdant Wind/Sweet Veil. Flavour is fitting, but still, not what I’d call creative.

Wash-out is very standard as well.

Resistance to fire is weird. Only Bronzong and old double-resistance Salamence have ever had that, I don’t see why Rotom would. Resistance is usually only used to indicate immunity in the games, not just not-very-effective.

Wording errors:
- None.

- Seems correct.

Creativity/Originality: 3/15
(Nothing exciting, a bit of flavour.)
(Seems fine.)
(Seems fine.)
(Seems fine.)
Aesthetics: 2.5/5
(Occasional blurriness, weird foiling effects.)
Total: 35.5/50

Wolfiboi:
klefki-card-final-jpg.8681

Unlock is kind of boring. Missing Keys is kind of flavourful, a bit, but also quite boring. Also, Unlock and Missing Keys are kind of redundant? It’s synergy only in the way that burying coal only to dig it up again is working.

Wording errors:
- You’re missing a lot of words in your Ability, I’m going to deduce 2 for the lack of “Once during your turn (before your attack)”, and another 2 for forgetting “you may”.
- You don’t “search” your discard pile (at least not in this era).

- Weird symbols.
- Weird font.
- Weird “EX”.
- Weird EX rule.
- HP is randomly very blurry.

Creativity/Originality: 1/15
(Nothing noteworthy.)
Wording: 9/15
(3 mistakes.)
Fonts and Placement: 4/10
(Weird.)
(I guess.)
(Nice art.)
Total: 25/50

CCKho007:
electrode-card-jpg.8595

Ball Power, while a bit of a weird name, is fine. It’s just Master Ball and Poké-Ball back in the Base Set/Neo days (the e-series introduced a bit of a Ball theme), but I guess that’s at least something.

Hit and Roll seems a bit powerful. I would’ve liked it more if it cost LLC. I think it’s acceptable considering some of the many very powerful cards in the era, but it does seem a bit above average.

Aesthetically, while the art is nice, you didn’t really centre it correctly…

Wording errors:
- You don’t “search” your discard pile (at least not in this era).
- The wording for Hit and Roll should include the words “Choose 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon”
- “For each heads” should be “times the number of heads”.
- The don’t apply weakness clause should be in italics.
- There should be a space before “lbs.” and it should end with a dot. Also, on the old cards, Electrode’s Weight was given as 147 lbs. and not 146.8 lbs. (Hoorah for nitpicking!)

- You didn’t remove Voltorb’s background.
- You didn’t remove the CaC symbol’s background.
- Also, the symbol should not be on the card frame.
- The damage is a bit too low.
- The attack text should not be justified.
- The bottom of the attack text should be at the same height as the bottom of the attack name.

Creativity/Originality: 7.5/15
(Some flavour.)
Wording: 5/15
(A few errors.)
Fonts and Placement: 4/10
(Some obvious errors.)
Believability/Playability: 4.5/5
(A bit stronger than expected.)
Aesthetics: 2.5/5
(Not as pretty as it should be.)
Total: 23.5/50

nintendo jr:
vanillish_card__by_nintendo_jr-d92b2wf.png

Gather Snow is a very, very good effect to be giving to a mere Stage 1. Effects like this have almost always lead to some kind of engine, to give it to a lowly Stage 1 seems odd.

Energy Hail is obviously nice in synergy with the power, not much else to say about it.

-40 Resistance? For water? Resistance is usually only used to denote immunity in the games.

I like the blank. The pictures going from edge to edge, the blank spaces for additional weaknesses and whatnot, all very nice. There’s also nothing about it I particularly dislike or which seems horribly out of place, so that’s definitely good. I’m not a fan of shortening “Power”, but that’s only a minor nitpick.

The art is also quite great, you’ve managed to make an ugly Pokémon look fun and interesting (commonly known as “pulling a Kouki Saitou”, a phrase I totally did not make up just now), which is definitely commendable.

Wording errors:
- Seems fine.

- Custom blank, so probably fine.

Creativity/Originality: 8/15
(Fun synergy, nice flavour.)
(Seems fine.)
(Custom blank.)
Believability/Playability: 3/5
(Perhaps a bit too useful considering it’s not even fully evolved, some weird choices.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(Nice blank, great art.)
Total: 41/50

Zygarde:
cacbodor%20copy_zpsujqid9df.png

This is super conflicting, combining the best era and frame with one of the uglier Pokémon.

Waste Sorting is a pretty neat effect. It gets around the obvious shenanigans which are usually the result of shuffling Trainer cards back by only allowing you to shuffle back format staples (usually). It kind of rewards you for predicting the metagame as well, which I don’t think has ever been done this explicitly.

Stunning Stench has a very slight synergy with the Power, which is nice. The effect is kind of a the-rich-get-richer effect, in that it locks out an already losing opponent, but when your opponent is swimming in cards it does almost nothing. Usually you want your attacks to work the other way around, but the damage output here is low enough to justify it being a “lock” card (as soft a lock as it may be). Giving your opponent a choice usually significantly worsens an effect, so I don’t expect this to be too powerful. The power level seems spot-on for the e-series, which was known for being kind of weak and grindy.

It’s kind of weird seeing Garbodor as Grass, even though I still tend to think of Poison type Pokémon as Grass.

Aesthetically, the art does feel kind of e-series-y (that’s a thing, trust me).

Wording errors:
- I was going to complain about you combining “search” and “chose”, but so does Kingdra LA, so what do I know?

- You forgot “Stage 1”.

Creativity/Originality: 13/15
(Cool new ideas, fun metagaming, and nice flavour.)
(Seems fine.)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(No Stage 1.)
(Very nice balancing act, power level seems correct.)
(Very e-series-y.)
Total: 46.5/50

kachitta:
u1gyHMr.png

The Ancient Trait feels kind of very unfun. Resistance is annoying enough (which is why they reduced it to 20, even with the power creep), this Trait just says kill in one hit or never kill me. Essentially stopping an entire type from dealing non-lethal damage isn’t really what I’d define as fun. If it were limited to Geoddude, it would just be annoying, but Ancient Traits are designed to be used on multiple Pokémon, and on anything with more HP this would be broken against a random type.

Energy burst seems quite strongs. Immediately attaching 2 Energies either to itself or to one of its friends is quite powerful. To have this on a simple not-fully-evolved basic seems a bit much.

Rockin’ Rocks has an awesome name. It’s nice that if you’re fully devoted to Roxanne, you get this cheap high-damage basic. 80 for 2 on a basic is quite strong, but the requirement is stringent enough for this to be okay. Though it might be a bit too easy to set up multiple geodude in combination with the first attack, though I don’t think this attack is to blame for that.

The art seems nice and fitting, not much else to say about it.

Wording errors:
- Energies are only “Energy” when they’re attached to a Pokémon, otherwise they’re “Energy cards”.

- Seems fine.

Creativity/Originality: 10/15
(Fun second attack.)
(1 error.)
Fonts and Placement: 15/10
(Seems fine.)
Believability/Playability: 3/5
(A bit too strong, unfun.)
(Good.)

Thewingedmater:
B1vzciL.png

This is not based on an inanimate object in any way.

Total: N/A

3rd Place: Jabberwock’s M Metagross-EX, with 43.5/50 points.
2nd Place: bbninjas & BigfootAUS’s Mewtwo & Genesect LEGEND, with 46/50 points.
1st Place: Zygarde’s Garbordor, with 46.5/50 points.

Judge: @Heavenly Spoon

Last edited:
Text-Based Results

SeventhPrize:
Magnezone-EX - Metal - HP180
Basic

Σ Magnet Rise: Each of your [L] Pokémon and [M] Pokémon that has any [L] Energy or [M] Energy attached to it has no Retreat Cost

Ability: Electromagnetic Energy
As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, you may move a [L] Energy or a [M] Energy attached to one

of your Benched [L] Pokémon or [M] Pokémon to this Pokémon. If this Pokémon has any [L] Energy attached to it, this Pokémon’s type is both [L] and [M].

[M][C][C] Magnet Warp
You may switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched [L] Pokémon or [M] Pokémon. If you do, you may switch your 1 of your opponent’s Benched [L] Pokémon or

[M] Pokémon with his or her Active Pokémon. Then, this attack does 10 damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon for each [L] Energy and [M] Energy attached to

this Pokémon.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)

Retreat Cost: [C][C][C][C]

When a Pokémon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Since Magnezone already has an EX, I’m finding you choosing Magnezone for the same status a bit odd.

I don’t like the Ancient Trait. Ancient Traits should only ever affect the Pokemon with the trait. Anything that does affect multiple Pokemon should be

reserved for an ability status, or attack, but not Ancient Trait. Other than that, nothing particularly interesting here, it being a version of Fairy Garden.

Flavour works well.

So many [M] and [L]s!! I feel you went maybe a little too specific for this card in general - everything affects only [M] and [L] types - but its nothing

really important. However, it feels like you mashed to abilities together to make one. The ‘changing type’ and ‘moving energy’ are two completely separate

effects used on real cards as separate abilities (Eelektross PRC Lucario PLS). I also don’t see what the ‘changing type’ has to do with the ability flavour,

but other than that, I like the flavour as a whole.

Magnet Warp is interesting. Once again, great flavour name, but a mediocre effect. It reminds me a lot of the upcoming Metagross from AOR. The power level

here is very, very low. The likelihood you’ll do any more than 30 damage per attack is slim, and makes me wonder why on Earth you would bother powering this

up in the first place.

Very odd choice for Retreat Cost. Any recent Magnezone has [C][C][C], and a cost of four feels very large for a very weak attack. I’m just taking a 0.5 from

the Believability here, because there is a very, very slim chance that PCL would actually do something like this.

Wording errors:
‘one’ should be ‘1’. Error x2
It should be ‘a [L] Energy or [M] Energy’ not ‘a [L] Energy or a [M] Energy’.
Whenever referring to one or more energy, the descriptive (Energy) is not repeated. i.e. “[L] Energy or [M] Energy” should be “[L] or [M] Energy”. Error x3
The first “your” should be removed from “switch your 1 of your”.

Creativity/Originality: 11/20
(Flavourful stuff, attacks are nothing new.)
Wording: 9.5/15
(Minor errors.)
Believability/Playability: 12.5/15
(Very weak attack, mashed ability and odd retreat cost.)
Edit penalty: -2
Total: 31/50

Serpens:
Klinklang - Metal - HP160

Stage 2 - Evolves from Klang

ζ Shielding: As long as this pokemon is on your bench, prevent all damage done to it.

Ability: Rotation
Once during your turn, you may switch one of your opponent's pokemon with one of his or her benched pokemon. If you do, discard a card from your hand.

[M][M] Gear Grind 50
At the end of your opponent's next turn, put 3 damage counters on his or her active pokemon.

Weakness: Fire(x2)

Resistance: Psychic(-20)

Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]

Its red core functions as an energy tank. It fires the charged energy through its spikes into an area.

Good use of the Ancient Trait! Its simple and effects Klinklang and only Klinklang, exactly what ATs are supposed to do. Nothing particularly fancy -

Squirtle BCR had the same effect as an ability.

Rotation isn’t fairly average. I find the discarding only a somewhat nuke considering Ludicolo PRC with a similar effect requiring a coin flip, however

one could easily say that Broken Vine Space was in production when Ludicolo was designed, and thus nuked accordingly to prevent future brokenness. In

the current meta I could see this quite useful, particularly as a way to place [M] Energy into the discard, but there isn’t really any direct card synergy as

such.

Gear Grind is fairly average. I personally don’t get the flavour. You start Grinding the Active Pokemon… but what happens when it switches? You somehow start

grinding the new Active Pokemon immediately after the old Pokemon you were grinding got grinded. I’m confused x__x.

160 HP is a lot of HP for a Klinklang. That number is generally reserved for psuedo-legendaries, while Klinklang of the current era are 140 HP, one 150.

Wording errors:
- Each “Pokemon” should have the accented ‘e’, that is “Pokémon”. Error x4
- Each “pokémon” should be capitalised, that is “Pokémon”. Error x4
- “bench” [or “benched”] should be capitalised as “Bench” [or “Benched”]. Error x2
- You do not prevent damage done to ‘it’ (unless you are referring to the Bench), but instead “this Pokémon”.
- Ancient Traits are always a Noun. This means “Shielding” should be “Shield”.
- “One” should be in numerical form, as “1”. Error x2.
- “active” should be capitalised as “Active”.
- There is an extra space between “next” and “turn”.
- There needs to be a “by attack” after “done to it”. This is because you need to specify exactly what damage you are talking about (although attacks are the

only thing that deals damage, everything else deals damage counters).
- Technically any switching mechanic that requires you to choose your opponent’s Pokémon is a “pull” mechanic, and should be worded like this: “Switch 1 of

your opponent's Benched Pokémon with his or her Active Pokémon.”. You have written the ability as if it is a “push” mechanic.
- The clauses of the attack should be swapped as something like this: “Put 3 damage counters on your opponent’s active pokemon at the end of your opponent’s

next turn.”
- Whose damage is prevented? Assuming you mean both players, there should be a “(both yours and your opponent’s)” after “done to it”.
- Exactly when during a turn can I use that Ability? Assuming it is before you attack, there should be a “(before your attack)” after “Once during

your turn,”.

(Flavourful stuff.)
Wording: 0/15
(Lots of minor and major errors.)
Believability/Playability: 14/15
(High HP.)
Total: 23/50

Pokedex649:
Drifblim EX - Psychic - 180 HP

Basic

λ Recycle: Once during your turn, you may attach a basic Energy card from your discard pile to this Pokémon.

[P][C] Tailwind 30
You may switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokémon. During your opponent's next turn, the Retreat Cost of all of his or her Pokémon is [C] more.

[P][P][C] Phantom Burst 100+
This attack does 20 more damage for each Drifloon, Drifblim and Drifblim EX in play and in your discard pile.

Weakness: Dark (x2)

Resistance: Fighting (-20)

That Ancient Trait just doesn’t feel right. Ancient Traits are strictly passive and require a specific trigger (i.e. attaching an Energy, healing damage) to

activate. The AT power in itself is probably fine, although it really depends on what it is combined with…

I also find the flavour for the Tailwind effect odd. Adding a [C] to a retreat cost is effectively slowing your opponent down, not speeding you up! You

probably should’ve taken [C] from /your/ Pokemon’s retreat cost. :p

Phantom Burst is interesting… and very powerful. Assuming you decided to put 4 of everything in your deck, you have 12 cards to add to your damage output.

That is a possible 240 extra damage, making the attack output 340, which is huge. What makes this scarier is the /ease/ in getting out the buffs.

Searchers are not difficult, and especially in a format of Ultra Ball, it is very easy to distribute Pokemon wherever you like… and as the bench is included

as a source of damage, you have no limitation like NightMarch or Flareon.

The Retreat Cost seems very high. Most Drifblim have a retreat cost of none or a single [C], while one SP had [C][C]. [C][C][C] feels very excessive.

Wording errors:
‘one’ should be ‘1’.
“all” should be “each”
It is “Drifblim-EX” not “Drifblim EX”.
The clauses of Tailwind should be switched like so: “The Retreat Cost of each of your opponent’s Pokémon is [C] more during your opponent’s next turn.”
There needs to be a an EX clause (“When a Pokémon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.”)
When I can use that AT? Assuming it is before I attack, there probably should be a “(before your attack)” after “Once during your turn”.

(Flavourful stuff, uncommon concepts.)
Wording: 6/15
(Some minor errors and major errors.)
Believability/Playability: 10/15
(Odd retreat cost choice, very powerful attack, incorrect use of AT.)
Total: 27/50

dialga586:
Porygon-Z - Colorless - HP130

Stage 2 - Evolves from Porygon2

ε Convert: When this Pokemon is damaged by an opponent’s attack, this Pokemon gets -10 resistance to your opponent’s Active Pokemon’s type.

Ability: Software Upload
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, you may look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Choose any basic

Energy cards you find there and attach it to this Pokemon.

[C][C][C] Computer Overload 30x
This attack does 30 damage times the number of different types of basic Energy attached to this Pokemon. Shuffle all Energy attached to this Pokemon into

your deck.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)

Resistance: none

Retreat Cost: [C]

Its programming was modified to enable it to travel through alien dimensions. Seems there might have been an error...

Hey, Porygon-Z! That was one of my choices for this month :3

Convert AT is… weird and interesting at the same time. The effect feels like a very complicated way to say “this Pokémon takes 10 less damage from attacks”.

Besides that, this feels like a relatively unexplored design space (Klefki FuF and Pachirisu PHF are really the only cards to alter Weakness and Resistance

that I can think of), which is nice. I’m not too sure this effect would fit as an Ancient Trait simply due to the complexity of the attack, but it probably

can slide. I personally don’t see the point of adding this AT to this card - I feel it doesn’t give anything to the attack and ability in the synergy

department.

Software Upload is very flavourful, although is very similar to Togekiss ROS (a popular type of effect) so there is nothing too creative here. However, there

is some synergy with the attack…

Computer Overload is fun and colourful. The flavour is really nice, and I love the synergy it has with the Ability, allowing the card to be self-sustainable.

I also like how you’ve taken a Ho-oh-EX attack and altered it to match with the card.

Just work on the wording next month - you’re design is pretty good! :)

Wording errors:
- “Pokemon” should be accented as “Pokémon”. Error x8
- “resistance” should be capitalised as “Resistance”.
- The “When” in the Ancient Trait should be an “If”.
- The “it” in the Ability should be “them”.
- There should be a “Then,” at the beginning of the second sentence of the attack.
- You don’t get a Resistance, you have a Resistance. This means that “this Pokémon gets -10 resistance” should be “this Pokémon’s Resistance is now -10”.
- The “to your opponent’s Active Pokémon’s type.” should probably say “and is now the same type as your opponent’s Active Pokémon.
- You seem to have forgotten to mention if the AT activates even when this Pokémon is Knocked Out. I assume you would word it like this: “(even if this

Pokémon is Knocked Out)

- Clarification is need on when exactly the AT’s effect ends. I assume it is at the end of your opponent's turn, so I’d probably write “until the end of your

opponent’s turn.” after “type”.

Creativity/Originality: 17/20
(Despite there not being anything too new, the card is fun, colorful and an overall nice combination.)
(Lots of minor and major errors, and a clarification error.)
Believability/Playability: 15/15
(Looks good!)
Total: 32/50

rainyman123:
Klinklang - HP 140 [M]
ψ protect - this Pokemon can't be affected by special conditions. If this Pokemon were to be attacked by a move from the defending Pokemon that would cause a

special condition, put that special condition on the defending Pokemon.
Ability - Modern Tech
Each Pokemon in play (excluding this Pokemon) do not have any ancient traits.
[M] superspeed gears 10
Switch this Pokemon with one of your benched Pokemon. During your next turn, each of that pokemon's attacks do 20 more damage and that Pokemon needs one less

[C] in order to attack.

Its red core functions as an energy tank. It fires the charged energy through its spikes into an area.
Weakness - [F] x2 resistance [P] -20
Retreat [C][C][C]

Protect is interesting. Protecting from Special Conditions is nice handicap, but not too powerful. I’m two-minded about the reflect, thought. To me, I don’t

get from the flavour how you manage to bounce back Special Conditions - Reflect would make more sense. Also, Ancient Traits should not actually interact with

any other Pokemon, but this does.

Unfortunately, with Modern Tech, that’s just not how Ancient Traits work. Ancient Traits were designed to be safe from abilities (i.e. not able to be turned

off), and safe from ability interaction in general, which is why they generally are weaker than your average ability. I get the concept, but it’s just not

how ATs work.

Superspeed Gears is nothing too exciting. It reminds me a lot of that Fluffy Tag Whimsicott I’m hearing a lot about recently. I also don’t really get our

superspeed gears affect one of your benched partners (i.e. give them a buff) but whatever.

[F] (or Fighting) Weakness should be [R] (or Fire) Weakness. I’m pretty sure you meant [R] Weakness, so this is going along with the Wording Errors

instead.

Wording errors:
- “protect” should be capitalised as “Protect”
- “this” should be capitalised as “This”
- “special condition” should be “Special Condition” Error x2
- “Pokemon” should be accented as “Pokémon”. Error x9
- “were to” should be “would”
- “move” should be “attack”
- “defending” should be “Defending”.
- “ancient trait” should be “Ancient Trait”.
- “do not have any” should be “has no”
- “do not” should be “don’t”
- “superspeed gears” should be capitalised as “Superspeed Gears”
- “one” should be “1”
- “benched” should be “Benched”
- “needs” should be “costs”
- there should be no “one” between “needs” and “less”
- “each of that Pokémon’s attacks” should be “the attacks of that Pokémon”
- “by a move from the defending Pokemon that would cause a special condition” should be “affected by a Special Condition by an attack”.
- It is “that Pokémon’s attacks” not “that Pokémon _____ in order to attack”
- The last clause of the AT should be “the Defending Pokémon is now affected by that Special Condition instead.”
Creativity/Originality: 12/20
(Flavourful stuff and average creativity.)
(Countless errors, wrong weakness.)
Believability/Playability:11/15
(Incorrect use of the Ancient Trait mechanic.)
Total: 23/50

Vom:
[Stage 1] Cofagrigus HP110 [P]
cofagrigus.gif

SF-Ability
Curse of Tutankhamun
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a card from your hand. If you do, attach one of your Benched Pokémon to this Pokémon as an

Energy card. (Discard all cards attached to that Pokémon.) While attached to an Evolved Pokémon (excluding Pokémon-EX), the card attached by this Ability is

a Special Energy card and provides every type of Energy, but provides only 2 Energy at a time. The attacks of the Evolved Pokémon (excluding Pokémon-EX) that

card is attached to do 30 more damage to the Defending Pokémon-EX. (If that card is attached to anything other than an Evolved Pokémon (excluding Pokémon-

EX), discard that Pokémon.) These effects remain even if this Pokémon is Knocked Out.

[P][C] Legacy Of The Pharaoh 50
This Pokémon is now Knocked Out. Move as many Energy cards attached to either player's Pokémon as you like to any Pokémon in play. You can't move any Energy

cards attached to your opponent's Pokémon to your Pokémon in this way.

Weakness: [D]x2
Resistance: -
It has been said that they swallow those who get too close and turn them into mummies. They like to eat gold nuggets.

Personally I don’t really get the card. The ability only affects Cofagrigus making it very limited, and although the attack appears to be an attempt to

remedy this, the Knock Out factor causes the Energy to effectively go straight to the discard pile, making the whole effect basically useless. However

, I am pretty sure the concept you were aiming for was an “attach an Evolved Pokemon, KO Cofagrigus and move the Energy to one of your other Pokemon”, in

which case the “This Pokémon is now Knocked Out.” clause should be last and have a “Then, this” at the start. If this is what you meant, then I really like

the synergy, although perhaps to complicated.

In direct response to the ability, I like it, and especially its flavour… but I’m really worried about the complexity. The effect is so wordy that it

required me to read through it multiple times so I could fully understand - I think the effect is you discard a card and attach an Evolved Pokemon to

Cofagrigus that is a Rainbow DCE with a boosted Strong Energy effect. I would’ve originally thought it’d be powerful, but it is quite limited.

Eh… I’m not too sure about the Legacy of the Pharaoh. Meddling with your opponent’s energy is HUGE - huge enough to make me think even giving up a prize is

not enough. You can easily set back your opponent to square one with an attack like this, by moving all their energy to a useless Pokemon, pull it out and KO

it. Ouch.

I’m not sure if I like the extra 10 HP, but Cofagrigus is yet to be printed in the XY HP power creep, so I guess it can slide.

Wording errors:
- ‘one’ should be ‘1’
- In the attack, the “Of The” should be capitalised as “of the”.
- XY-on wording actually doesn’t use the “now” in “now Knocked Out”.
- I’m sure the structure of the attack is wrong. I think it should be “Move as many Energy attached to your Pokémon to your other Pokémon in any way you

like. Then, move as many Energy attached to your opponent’s Pokémon to your opponent’s other Pokémon in any way you like.” Also, in the way you’ve got it,

you can move Energy from your Pokémon to your opponent’s Pokémon. Dx
- Novel effects, so hard to judge.

Creativity/Originality: 18/20
(New design space and beautiful flavour with a synergetic concept.)
(A few minor errors and a major error.)
Believability/Playability: 12/15
(Too complex and unfun attack. )
Total 39.5/50

PapaBigBelly
Trevenant - Psychic - HP 100
Stage 1 - Evolves from Phantump
Ability: Ravaging Roots
When you play Trevenant from your hand to evolve one of your Pokemon, you may choose to discard a stadium card in play.

[P] Haunted Grove 10

The defending Pokemon cannot be retreated or switched during your opponent's next turn.

[P][P][C] Penumbra Pulp 50+

Does 50 damage plus 10 more damage for each Stadium card in each player's discard pile.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C]

It will cause anyone who harms the forest to become lost in it forever.

Ravaging Roots is nice, although is pretty average on the creativity mark. I love the flavour - ripping up the Stadium sounds pretty cool! I’d even go

further with the flavour (and increase creativity) by perhaps block any further dropping of Stadiums for a turn, or even penalising the next player to drop a

Stadium by discarding a card from their hand, or damaging the Active.

Believe it or not, I determined a way to bypass things like Switch for an attack for a past CaC. I ended up using the XY Rulebook (!) for wording, although

when Spoon judged it, he reckoned a Neo Forretress had accurate wording. Back on track, the actual effect is pretty meh. Preventing retreating is a common

theme in the TCG - even Trevenant-EX had retreat blocker! You could have probably done a bit more with the concept. I don’t really get the flavour, either.

I really like the Penumbra Pulp attack, despite a simple attack. It works quite nicely with the ability, and requires a decent amount of resources to hit

large numbers. Stadiums are also pretty difficult cards to dump from one’s hand, meaning too many will cause a clunked up hand, which is probably an

unintentional nerf.

The 10 less HP to norm feels a little odd, but it is a HP nerf and HP nerfs are good. Retreat costs looks too low, though.

Wording errors:
“Trevenant” should be “this Pokémon”
“Pokemon” should be accented as “Pokémon”. Error x2
“stadium” should be capitalised as “Stadium”.
“defending” should be capitalised as “defending”.
There is no need for “choose to” in the ability.
“discard a” should be “discard any”.
For Haunted Grove, the correct terminology for the “retreat or switched” part is “goes to the Bench” (official handbook) or “becomes a Benched Pokémon” (Neo

Forretress) or something similar. The exact wording is disputable but I know it is not “switched”.
“Does” should be “This attack does”.

Creativity/Originality: 16/20
(Flavourful and synergetic, mild creativity.)
Wording: 5.5/15
(Lots of minor errors and a major error.)
(High retreat cost.)

thegrovylekid:
Chimecho HP: 70 [P]
Basic
View attachment 8589
Ability: Soothing Chime
Once during your turn [before you attack] you may search your deck for an basic Energy card and discard it. If you do, flip all your Prize cards face up.

Heal 10 damage from each of your Pokémon for each Pokémon in your Prize cards. Then, flip all your prize cards face down. You can’t use more than 1 Soothing

Chime ability per turn.

[P] Moving Melody
Shuffle all basic Energy cards in your discard pile back into your deck. Then, switch this Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: [P] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: 1

Soothing Chime sounds quite interesting, if not a little busy. I don’t get how discarding a basic Energy has much to do with the flavour, but it seems like

an interesting way to nerf - it’s different but doesn’t feel overly effective with the amount of recycling cards abundant in TCG. Revealing all your Prize

cards does feel sorta like a big deal, but not as big as the amount of damage that can be healed. A possibility of healing 40 to 60 damage is quite

significant, most effects rarely heal more than this without a huge drawback simply due how powerful healing actually is. Despite the situational nature of

the card, decks can exploit it, such as mill decks that don’t like taking prize cards, or decks that use a significant amount of Pokemon (like Flareon). The

fact that the ability is reusable and not something that activates when placed on the bench is worrying, allowing for turn healing spam.

Moving Melody also feels quite powerful on a Basic for a single energy. Shuffling energy is actually a pretty decent effect alone and is often only used to

nerf an attack such as that of Kingdra PLF, and combined with a good ability, I think there may be too much powering placed on this little Chimecho. The

ability to whisk the little guy out of danger after disruption isn’t half bad either. Despite the potential overpoweredness, the synergy is nice with the

ability, allowing for the recycling of the energy discarded. Flavourful is nice, too.

Wording errors:
- “before you attack” should be “before your attack”
- The “[“s should be “(“s
- “[before your attack]” should be italicised as “before your attack
- There is an extra space between “all” and “your”.
- You don’t “flip” Prize cards, you “turn” them. Error x2.
- “all your” should be “all of your”. Error x2.
- “prize” should be captilised as “Prize”.
- “per” should be “each”
- “ability” should be captilised as “Ability”
- I sorta think you need the clause saying “those cards remain face down for the remainder of the game”, but the ability is fairly novel, so I’ll give it to

you.
- I’m also thinking there needed to be something related to flipping over cards that are already face-up, but once again, the effect is fairly novel and

therefore wording is controversial.

(Creativity shown with synergy and nice flavour.)
Wording: 5/15
(Lots of minor errors.)
Believability/Playability: 13/15
(Powerful ability and somewhat powerful attack is enough for me to take two points here.)
Total: 34/50

Earthoul
Claydol – Psychic – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Baltoy

Ability: Trait Reload
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, you may discard a Pokémon that has an Ancient Trait from your

hand. If you do, until the end of your opponent's next turn, this Pokémon has that Ancient Trait.

[P][P] Antique Malware
This attack does 40 damage to each Pokémon that has any Ancient Traits (both yours and your opponent's, including this Pokémon if it has any). This

attack's damage isn't affected by Weakness, Resistance, or any other effects on the Defending Pokémon.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: None

It is said that it originates from clay dolls made by an ancient civilization.

I really like how you’ve ventured into some new design space. However, I believe there is a reason this space has been left untouched. Ancient Traits are

special because interaction between them and other cards is generally not done; ATs are generally safe. The first Ability is fine, as it isn’t negative to

have the AT, but something like Antique Malware feels a bit too negative.

Ancient Traits are malware? :O Personally I’m worried about two Ancient Traits in combination with the attack. Omega Barrage and Delta Plus. 80 damage

through the Barrage is pretty huge imo and makes me feel sorry for those ATs. Delta Plus worries me as well due to the ease of getting prizes through the

correct combination of attacks and Ancient Traits. However, attacking itself is a way to sorta help this, as you are probably going to need to waste a turn

to Alpha Heal to not KO yourself. This is also synergy, which is awesome.

Wording errors:
“that has” should be “with”. Error x2
“any Ancient Traits” should just be “Ancient Traits”.
In XY format, whenever an effect says “both yours and your opponent’s” it will always be assumed that the Pokemon with the effect is also affected. This

means you don’t need the “including this Pokémon if it has any”.

(New design space, lovely flavour and synergy.)
Wording: 11.5/15
(Minor errors.)
(Too much Ancient Trait interaction and pounding.)
Total: 40.5/50

Adam Ryder:
Pumpkaboo - Ghost - HP60
Basic

[P] Trick-or-Treat
Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent’s active Pokemon takes 10 damage. If tails, discard a card from your hand.

[P][C] Spooky Noises 20+
This attack does 20 damage, plus 10 damage for each [P] Pokemon you have on your bench.

Retreat Cost: 2

The pumpkin body is inhabited by a spirit trapped in this world. As the sun sets, it becomes restless and active.

I’m really not sure what to say, tbh. Trick-or-Treat is pretty average and has a bit of gimmicky fun to it, but it’s nothing amazing. Spooky Noises is also

average, if not a little powerful, considering you can do ~70 without buffs or Sky Field. I’d have dropped it to a times 10. Anyway, looks like you’re

average common Basic.

Wording errors:
- “active” should be capitalised “Active”
- “Pokemon” should be accented as “Pokémon”. Error x2.
- “does 20 damage, plus” is not required in the effects.
- “10 damage” should be “10 more damage”
- “bench” should be capitalised as “Bench”
- It is “If heads, this attack does 10 damage to your opponent’s Active Pokemon” not “If heads, your opponent’s active Pokemon takes 10 damage.”

Creativity/Originality: 10/20
(Feels a lot like a common filler.)
Wording: 7.5/15
(Some minor errors and a clarification error.)
Believability/Playability: 14.5/15
(Perhaps a bit too powerful.)

AgentMFilms:
M Banette-EX-Psychic-HP210
Mega Evolution- Evolves from Banette-EX

When 1 of your Pokemon becomes a Mega Evolution, your turn ends.

γ Trap: Any Energy attached to this Pokemon may not be discarded by the effects of attacks, Abilities, or Trainer cards.

[P] [C] [C] Destiny Shade: 80 damage. Remove the top Evolution card from each of your opponent’s Pokemon and put those cards into your opponent’s hand.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Retreat: 1

I sweet, one of the best Mega Evolutions there is!

I quite like the Ancient Trait. Even though it’s a bit of spin off to Omega Barrier, the effect is still quite novel (although Brock’s Protection beat you to

it). I personally feel that Energy control has become a bit too big in the game, so I’m all for a Trait like this one. I like how things like Camerupt-EX’s

big attack can’t actually abuse this effect, as you actually need to discard something. Overall the trait certainly works with such a ghostly Pokémon like

M-Banette.

Destiny Shade is practically the Claydol printed in the upcoming Ancient Origins, so I’m not too sure if I should be deducting creativity points for it. I’ll

give you the benefit of the doubt, because stand alone the effect is quite nice. I don’t really see how either Destiny or Shade would devolve the opponent’s

Pokémon. I also don’t see much synergy between it and the Ancient Trait, although the attack cost would certainly benefit from the trait. I feel that you

should have done something like “this attack does 50 damage times the amount of Special Energy attached to this Pokémon” to further utilise the effect.

Wording errors:
- “Pokemon” should be accented as “Pokémon”. Error x4
- “may not” should be “can’t”
- The Ancient Trait is quite novel, so I’m not totally sure about the structure. The Trainer Brock’s Protection has a similar effect that is worded quite

similarly, so it should be good!
- “top” should be “highest Stage”
- “opponent’s Pokemon” should be “opponent’s evolved Pokemon”.
- “Remove” should be “devolve”
- There should be a “on it” between “those cards” and “into”
- The correct wording structure is “Remove each of your opponent’s Pokemon and put the top Evolution card into your opponent’s hand.”

(Creative effects but lacks particular synergy.)
Wording: 4.5/15
(Multiple minor errors and a couple of major.)
(Looks good to me!)

Rakkis157:
Magneton - 90 HP [M]
(Stage 1 - Evolves from Magnemite)

Ability: Magnet Pull
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with a Pokémon Tool card attached to it with his or her

Active Pokémon.

[L][C] EMP
{Overload: You may place 4 damage counters on Magneton. If you do, this attack costs [C] less.}

Flip all Energy Cards in play face down until the end of your next turn. Face down Energy Cards do not count as Energy and have no effects.

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance: [P] -20
Retreat Cost: 2

Sweet - something that is not fully evolved!

Magnet Pull feels fun. I don’t really know why; the “Tool” thing feels like it works well. Your opponent has to be extra careful too, which I think is

awesome. Due to this the effect doesn’t feel overpowered, and as a tech I think it works quite nicely on a Stage 1. Although the ability doesn’t necessarily

synergise with the attack directly, it provides another layer of disruption to add to the lock.

I’m not sure if I like the abbreviation of “Electromagnetic Pulse”. I don’t really think it is something PTCG would do; instead expanding it or even

venturing into more creative zone with a different word for “Pulse” altogether. I personally think the Overload effect is quite nice; a bit like the

Superpower attack but more generic. It also enables a gamble situation, and therefore increasing the strategy of when to attack. The synergy with the attack

is also quite nice, as you have to decide if it’s worth damaging yourself to continue the lock.

The actual effect is also quite interesting. Empoleon Lv.X actually did something the is somewhat similar. I like how the effect affects you as well as your

opponent forces a much more strategic deck design, as well as requires a large amount of resources, to actually do damage consistently. The main problem I

see is any type of poison stalling + ability damage could make this effect fairly broken or annoying for the opponent. This especially the case for any deck

that have large attack costs, as there will likely be long periods without attacking, which isn’t too fun. [L] energy costs on a [M] type is also nice for

spread.

90 HP feels like too much. 90 HP is on par to a lot of the unevolved basics, which is a bit strange.

Wording errors:
- “(before your attack)” should be italicised as “(before your attack)
- “with” should be “that has”
- “a Pokemon Tool” should be “any Pokemon Tool”
- “Place” should be “put”
- “Cards” should be decaptilised as “cards”. Error x2
- You don’t “flip” cards in the PTCG, you “turn” them.
- The second “Face down” should be hyphenated as “Face-down”.
- “Effects” should be simply “effect”.
- Do the flipped Energy count as in play? Refer to Empoleon Lv.X for wording on this.
(Very creative and flavourful with synergy.)
Wording: 6.5/15
(Lots of minor errors.)
(Odd attack name and unfun nature of the attack.)

Squirtle Squad:
R1 Grimer 70HP [P]
Devolves from Muk
Reversed

http://media.pldh.net/pokemon/gen6/xy-animated/088.gif
[size=x-small]NO.88 Sludge Pokémon HT: 2'11" WT: 66.1 lbs.[/size]

Ability: Sludge Drain
You may play this Pokémon from your hand onto your opponent's Bench as a Basic Pokémon. As long as this Pokémon is on your opponent's Bench place 2 damage

counters on your opponent's Active Pokémon between turns. If this Pokémon becomes your opponent's Active Pokémon, put this card and all cards attached into

their respective owner's discard pile.

[P] Poisonous Assembly
Search your deck for up to 3, in any combination, of Grimer and Muk and place them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Weakness [P]x2 Resistance
Retreat [C][C]
Sludge exposed to X-rays from the moon transformed into Grimer. It loves feeding on filthy things.

I find the mechanic you have devised quite interesting, and something perhaps viable in a series of expansions. However, I find one particular problem that

could arise. Imagine someone of little knowledge transferring from the video games to the TCG or vice versa. Poor little Mollly learnt about how Cubchoos

become Beartics in the TCG, but when she plays the VG, discovers the Cubchoo she caught using her last Ultra Ball isn’t actually as powerful as she thought

previously. I can see the mechanic possibly working, but it’d have to be performed very carefully. On the other hand, the mechanic is quite nice for a

knowledgable fan, being able to use otherwise weak Pokemon to star in their deck. The mechanic also stops donking, which is unhealthy for the game, imo.

Sludge Drain is really interesting, however poses a lot to think about from the technical aspect (which I’ve mostly addressed in the wording area). I think

PCL tried venturing into interaction with the opponent’s side through Team Flare Gear, but the design space is really quite new, and due to this, a design

like this could be the subject to a lot of rulings. And lots of rulings doesn’t exactly make a good design. I think the ability could actually be a nice way

to achieve one of the forgotten win conditions of benching your opponent out with the right combination, but the effect feels a bit unfun when activatable

during Turn 1, and possibly hindering your opponent right from the outset.

Poisonous Assembly is quite nice. It is quite synergetic with the ability to achieve the win condition as previously mentioned, however is at a low energy

cost and still not too powerful considering the Pokemon with the attack is a little Grimer.

Wording errors:
- “as a Basic” should be “as if it was a Basic”
- There should be a comma between “Bench” and “place”.
- There should not be a comma after “3” and “combination”.
- “into their” should be “in its”
- Grammatically the “owner’s” should be “owners’” as you are referring to multiple owners.
- “Grimer and Muk” should be “Grimer or Muk”.
- You don’t need “respective” in the Ability.
- You don’t “place” in the PTCG, you “put”. Error x2
- There needs to be an “ at any time between turns,” between “Bench” and “place”
- When can I use this Ability? The correct structure would be something like: “At any time during your turn (before your attack), you may…”.
- There needs to be clarification text that states who may attach cards onto the Grimer.
- There needs to be clarification text on exactly who’s Pokemon Grimer is on your opponent’s bench.
- These two clarifications can probably be worded as this: “As long as this Pokémon is on your opponent's Bench, this Pokémon counts as 1 of your opponent’s

Pokémon, treat it as if it were 1 of your opponent’s Pokémon and, at any time between turns, place 2 damage counters on your opponent's Active Pokémon

between turns.” As a result of this text, it will be automatically assumed you take prize cards if Grimer is KO’d while on the bench.
- Clarification is also needed on what happens if Grimer is removed from play for some other reason, such as by an AZ. You should be able to replace “If this

Pokémon becomes your opponent's Active Pokémon” as “If this Pokémon is removed from the Bench for any reason” instead.

(An overall synergetic and unique approach to a variety of different game mechanics.)
(Lots of minor errors; multiple major and clarification errors.)
(Potential problems with the mechanic.)

Ms Hugo:
Vanilluxe_BW.gif

Vanilluxe - Water - HP130
Stage 2 - Evolves from Vanillish

Ψ Attract
When you play this Pokemon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokemon, you may search your deck for a Basic Pokemon that evolves into this Pokemon, reveal

it, and add it to your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Ability: Fresh Scoop
Once during your turn, (before your attack), you may attach 1 [W] Energy card from your hand to this Pokemon for each Vanillite, Vanillish or

Vanilluxe on your Bench.

[W][W][W][C] Sweet Freeze 70+
You may do 70 more damage. If you do, discard 2 Energy attached to this Pokemon and the Defending Pokemon is now Paralyzed.

Weakness: Steel (x2)
Resistance:

Swallowing large amounts of water, they make snow clouds inside their bodies and, when angry, cause violent blizzards.

I’m not sure if I like the Attract Ancient Trait. It feels too much like an ability, and would probably pass better as an ability than an Ancient Trait.

Despite that, it is a nice way to give support to a Stage 2 line that otherwise is difficult to play, and is obviously synergetic with the Ability.

I really, really, really like the flavour for the ability! The name is so refreshing and cool (if you’d excuse the pun), and works perfectly with the effect.

The effect by itself is nice and not that overpowered, and encourages building up the Vanilluxe line on your bench.

Eh, the attack here is fairly bland, but the flavour and synergy with the Ability really make up for it. I’m concerned about the potential to continuously

Paralyze your opponent with just 2 Vanillite on your bench, but a constant lock seems quite an impossible feat due to the amount of Energy Retrievaling is

required, let alone setting up enough Vanilluxe.

Wording errors:
- “1 [W] Energy” should be “a [W] Energy”
- “Pokemon” should be accented as “Pokémon”. Error x5
- “it to your hand” should be “it into your hand”.
- “add” should be “put”.
- “or Vanilluxe” should be “and Vanilluxe”.

Creativity/Originality: 18.5/20
(Overall a really flavourful and fun card using standard effects in a new way.)
Wording: 8/15
(Lots of minor errors.)
(Some concerns on the Paralyzing lock.)
Edit Penalty: -2
Total: 38.5/50

asdjklghty:
Bastiodon-EX-Steel-170 HP
Basic

TCGAbilityIcon.png
Wall Block
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is on your Bench, you may switch this Pokémon with your Active Pokémon. This Pokémon now

has no Retreat cost until the end of your turn.

20px-Metal-attack.png
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/1/1d/Colorless-

attack.png/20px-Colorless-attack.png Spinning Burn 60
Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Burned. Switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokemon. This attack isn't affected by Resistance or any other

effects on the Defending Pokemon.

Weakness Resistance
20px-Fire-attack.png
x2 http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/e/ef/Psychic-

attack.png/20px-Psychic-attack.png -20

Retreat:
20px-Colorless-attack.png

I really don’t get the flavour for the Ability. I guess you come up to block an attack, but then the free retreat? It doesn’t make much sense to me,

especially for a heavy Pokemon like Bastidon. The effect also feels overpowered - the only way Keldeo-EX didn’t end up breaking the retreat cost

mechanic is that the combo was somewhat clunky.

Spinning Burn also has a lot going on. The Burning and switching sounds all call, but I don’t get the point of the second clause. It just feels like it’s

there for the sake of power, which is really not necessary.

The HP feels a bit low for a Bastidon, but since no Bastidon has been printed from BW-onwards, I’m inclined to let it slide.

Wording errors:
- You do not need “now” in the Ability.
- “One” should be “1”
- “Pokemon” should be accented as “Pokémon”. Error x2
- There needs to be an “If you do,” before “This Pokémon now has”

(Some synergy and flavour.)
(Minor errors.)
(Very mashed attack, powerful ability.)
Total: 33.5/50

Luispipe8:
Stage 1// Drifblim / HP100
TCGWhite

425.png
Evolves from Drifloon

drifblim.gif

NO. 426/Blimp Pokémon/HT: 1.2m/WT: 15.0kg

SF-Ability
Shadow Drift

Damage from each of your
TCGMind
Pokémon's attacks isn't affected by any effects on your opponent's Active

Pokémon.

TCGWhite
TCGWhite
Wandering Souls

Flip a coin. If heads, shuffle your hand into your deck and draw a number of cards equal to the number of cards in your opponent's hand. If tails, your

opponent shuffles his or her hand into his or her deck and draws a number of cards equal to the number of cards in your hand.

Weakness:
TCGDark
x2
Resistance:
TCGRock
Retreat:
TCGWhite

It carries people and Pokémon when it flies. But since it only drifts, it can end up anywhere.

AW10
30px-SetSymbolPromo.png
Gee, I’m really not sure what to say about this card. The Ability is fairly generic and doesn’t feel like anything too special, though is nicely flavourful.

The attack is fun and exciting, with the possibility to really blow up on the right (or wrong!) flip. I don’t see any synergy either; I guess it’s just an

all support Pokemon.

The Weakness is also wrong. A Colourless type Pokemon when the [C] is Flying will always be weak to [L], and doesn’t care about secondary typings for some

reason. The weakness you’ve got is for [P] type when it is Ghost.

Wording errors:
None that I can see.

(Flavourful stuff.)
(Looks all good.)
(Wrong weakness.)

Plasma Dragon:
Stage 2–Porygon-Z– Colorless– HP130
Evolves from Porygon2

Ability: Upgrade
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may Knock Out 1 of your Pokemon. If you do, attach as many different types of basic Energy cards from the

discard pile to your Pokemon in any way you like.

Ability: Download Attacks
Once during you turn (before your attack), if this Pokemon has no Pokemon attached to it you may attach a Pokemon from your discard pile to this Pokemon.

While this Pokemon has a Pokemon attached to it this Pokemon can use the attacks of that Pokemon (You still need the necessary Energy to use each attack of

that Pokemon.)

Weakness: [F]
Resistance:
Retreat: 2

Upgrade is interesting. It feels like a unique take on Ho-oh-EX that, although not overly powerful, can be used quite well in right deck. I also feel Knock

Out Abilities are something the PTCG is sorta lacking, so brownie points there. I’d imagine you’d be able to do a bit a more with the flavour; perhaps

something simply like “Rainbow Upgrade”.

Download Attacks is also quite nice and provides a bit of versatility. The effect doesn’t feel too powerful on something like Stage 2 that would be pretty

difficult to set up, meaning even attacks like that of Mega EXs and Restored Pokemon aren’t really too powerful. The effect also is synergetic with the

Ability, allowing you to power up the Porygon-Z using just the write energy. Hey - maybe Dragons are viable now! :p

Wording errors:
- “(before your attack)” should be italicised as “(before your attack)”. Error x2.
- “from the discard pile” should be “from your discard pile”
- “Pokemon” should be accented as “Pokémon”. Error x10
- “Once during you turn” should be “Once during your turn”.
- There should be a comma (,) between “to it” and “you” and “to it” and this”. Counts as error x2.
- There needs to be a full stop (.) after “attacks of that Pokemon”.
- You don’t need that “of that Pokemon” at the end of the second Ability.

(Fun, flavourful and synergetic effects.)
Wording: 2.5/15
(Lots of minor errors.)
(Looks all good.)
Total: 33.5/50

Supa_Hot_Fire:
Bisharp - Dual Type - Darkness/Metal - HP90
Stage 1 - Evolves from Pawniard
This Pokemon is both [D][M]

Ability: Defiant:
This Pokemon's attacks cost [C] less for each of your opponent's [D] or [M] Pokemon in play with more HP than Bisharp.

[D][C][C] Knock Off: 80+
If the Defending Pokemon has a Pokemon Tool card attached to it, this attack does 40 more damage. Then, discard all Pokemon Tool cards attached to the

Defending Pokemon.

Weakness: [R][F] x2
Resistance: [P] -40
Retreat: [C]

This pitiless Pokémon commands a group of Pawniard to hound prey into immobility. It then moves in to finish the prey off.

Hooray, Dual Types!

The Ability is actually really nice while retaining its simplicity. I can easily imagine a the Defiant flavour of Bisharp, and think you did a really good

job conveying it. There may be a bit too much type hate going on, which is generally unfun, although Pokemon of the said types 100+ HP are generally pretty

powerful in the first place, so the effect would generally balance itself out.

Knock Off is also a nice twist on the VG attack, using all the mechanics of the original quite well. The attack as an effect is fairly generic (discarding

Tools is nothing that new) and doesn’t really do anything with the Ability besides have its Energy cost fiddled with.

I’m not sure if I like that -40 resistance. I see what you’re trying to do… but -40 on a Pokemon is pretty huge; maybe -30 would’ve been better?

Wording errors:
- “Pokemon” should be accented as “Pokémon”. Error x4
- “Bisharp” should be “this Pokémon”.
- You need to specify if the HP of this Pokémon is maximum HP or remaining HP.
- Strangely enough, whenever referring to Pokémon Tools attached to the Defending Pokémon, PTCG will always use “your opponent’s Active Pokémon”. This means

that “the Defending Pokémon” should be “your opponent’s Active Pokémon”. Error x2.

Creativity/Originality: 13/20
(Flavourful derivations of attacks with creativity.)
Wording: 9/15
(Multiple minor errors.)
(I think it’s all good.)
Total: 37/50

Text Scores

3rd Place: Vom’s cryptical Cofagrigus, with 39.5/50 points.
2nd Place: Luispipe’s delivering Drifblim, with 40/50 points.
1st Place: Earthoul’s rustic Claydol, with 40.5/50 points.

Judge: bbninjas

Thank you to everyone for participating! :D We hope to see you again for the next CAC. :3

Thank you for your feedback, our Judge. I'm just too surprised and I don't know what to say to find myself in the first place... uh, yes, that's my honour. (is it correct?)
I really enjoyed this participation and I'm happy to have met many lovely fake cards and creative craftsmen to respect. Thank you all.

tbh I hadn't expected the AT mechanics had been Safeguarded, and I'm sure that's why my Claydol had too much interaction with the system by the distribution of its own malware to sane ATs around it :oops:
I'm becoming aware of the "reason this space has been left untouched." I'll try harder to keep ATs safe from now on.

Back