Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

I can see using this with Megaphone against Mega pokemon. But if your opponent uses Bats why would you use this. It would be better if it devolved your own but porygon does that all ready.

Espeon EX depends on how much the game meta sets on evolutions: It wouldn't be played at a max number in a deck but it's good tech one or two of in damage spreading decks against Vespiquen decks or Rare Candy decks. If it's a Mass Basic Deck you wouldn't be putting Espeon down that game.

Pierce attack is OK: does what it needs to.

Magnezone EX this isn't: it has potentional.

I think this card is gonna have awesome play... Use an item card to remove tools and then devolve the Mega-Ex pokemon. Switch your cards around and then destroy the basic ex, or whatever damage was on the Mega might already knock out the basic... Lot's of potential here.

First thing: was not expecting this. I thought due to BREAK pokemon we were only getting legendary/mega EX in main sets.

Second, nice artwork.

Third, not entirely useless. Splash it into a deck and when one of your main attackers go down and they don't have any basic EX or something just devolve everything and you might get some cheap KOs.

Don't forget Siesmitoad in the active. Bam, item lock turn two with one card. It will be easy to achieve.

Why don't they invent a supporter card that just says: Any effects of the attack on the pokemon are mute until end of next turn. Draw a Card.

It would only stall for one round and ease the pain of item lock and quick energy charges for a round.

That's totally true. As far as the Pokemon Company is creating disrupting cards the game will never be perfect. Why would I need Garbodor reprinted? Why would I get enhanced hammer and not just Xerosic, when you print new "special" energies with each set. Why crushing hammer even exists? And now we have a "hand destructor..."

Ugh... that's the only thing I hate about the game...

e85a8d51902f6d473bd1ba38a6ea188e.jpg

Words are not enough...

Deals no damage, and the opponent can just re-evolve the next turn and attack as if nothing happened.
Actually, that's not exactly right. Rules on devolution are similar to rules on evolution. A Pokémon has to be in play for a full turn before it's capable of evolving. So the opponent needs to wait until the turn after the turn after you devolve their Pokémon before they can evolve it again. I've been running Claydol AOR for a while now and it's done me fairly well, having an incredibly similar attack to this Espeon.

Any card that gives "hand" advantage gets banned, in every TCG (like Yu-Gi-Oh!).
If that were true, Professor Juniper would be banned, Professor Sycamore would be banned, Tierno, Cheren, Colress, Exeggcute, Paint Roller, Roller Skates, and Bicycle would all be banned...

Dear Pooka, please use your pull with TPCi to ensure that this card never leaves Japan. Thanks.
So you want Americans in the World Championships to be at a huge disadvantage when their Japanese opponents can cripple their hand and we can't do the same back to them?

Also, all you have to do to counter this card is get out an Octillery (assuming you can before they use Delinquent for the first time). Let's not forget that.

I can only see it be played against decks with megas. Its like statling mega phone the links, then devolve them.

I'm loving the fact we're getting so many Eeveelution EX's soon. I really hope this Espeon is treated to an FA.

I'm also liking how splashable it is against Megas. Coupled with Megaphone and/or Tool-F's, you can easily disrupt a Mega deck.

So does the frogadier in this set count as a not evolved Pokemon if put into play with the frogadier?

If the rulings are consistent with what we have seen in the past, then yes: it would be an "unevolved" Stage 1. Any effect that places an Evolution directly into play causes that Evolution to count as an "Unevolved _______" where the "______" is whatever the printed Stage listed on the card says.

Also how do lv x Pokemon work into this rule?

Compendium LVX said:
Q. If I use Dialga's "Flash Cannon" to attack my opponent's Infernape LV.X, what happens?
A. Dialga's Flash Cannon attack would remove the highest Stage Evolution card, in this case, the regular Infernape. You would also remove Infernape LV.X too since the Pokémon is no longer an Infernape. The LV.X goes wherever the Stage 2 goes. (Diamond & Pearl FAQ; May 31, 2007 PUI Rules Team)

Unless it has changed, a Level Up card that is bounced by such an effect goes along with the highest Stage of Evolution. Please note that Pokémon BREAK cards are treated as a new Stage of Evolution so I believe

I can see using this with Megaphone against Mega pokemon. But if your opponent uses Bats why would you use this. It would be better if it devolved your own but porygon does that all ready.

People don't really use Porygon-Z (XY: Ancient Origins 67/98) competitively do they? Really asking as I haven't seen any recent tournament results. I'm not expecting it though because you're using an attack to do all that discarding and unless they are Grass-Types (and you have Forest of Giant Plants) in play, you can't immediately re-Evolve anything more than once the next turn. So If you have a flock of Crobat (PHF) Evolved from Golbat (PHF) and you bounce both to get down to Zubat, not only do you have to hope your opponent doesn't mess with your hand or field too badly, but you're only re-Evolving into the four Golbat for a total of eight damage counters. So at that point you effectively used an attack on a Stage 2 to place eight damage counters. When you get the four Crobat as well the next turn and place another 12 counters, its awesome but your opponent has two turns to make you lose before that happens and it is a combo using five Stage 2 Pokémon. @_@

Now if Espeon-EX allowed you to bounce the highest Stage of as many in play Pokémon (yours or your opponent's) to your hand, yeah that would be pretty spiffy.

Actually, that's not exactly right. Rules on devolution are similar to rules on evolution. A Pokémon has to be in play for a full turn before it's capable of evolving. So the opponent needs to wait until the turn after the turn after you devolve their Pokémon before they can evolve it again. I've been running Claydol AOR for a while now and it's done me fairly well, having an incredibly similar attack to this Espeon.

Unless something has changed, I am afraid you are mistaken.

Yes, Devolving is like Evolving. If you use Devolution Spray to bounce say Crobat (PHF) to hand, leaving a Golbat (PHF) in play, you could not normally Evolve Golbat into Crobat that turn (you could still use an effect like that of Wally). Pokémon do not need to be in play a full turn before Evolving: except on the first turn a Pokémon just needs to have been in play before your current turn began. Usually this means you need to have put it into play on your previous turn, but if your opponent uses an effect to Bench something of yours, it is legal for that something to Evolve as soon as it is your next turn.

If that were true, Professor Juniper would be banned, Professor Sycamore would be banned, Tierno, Cheren, Colress, Exeggcute, Paint Roller, Roller Skates, and Bicycle would all be banned...

=_=
I'm sure you understood by "card advantage" I meant in comparison with your opponent's hand. If you believe that starting your first turn with 1 card is fair and makes you enjoy the game more, I'm fine with it.

Miracle Shine CAN be useful in taking down Megas, I can see this maybe having a kind of synergy with Yveltal from BREAKthrough in a less-than-serious deck.

Snipe your opponent's stuff on the Bench, then Miracle Shine when it has enough damage to knock out its basic form.

You could 2HKO BREAK Pokemon too without really having to knock 'em out, Espeon's only potential drawbacks are the pacing of having to wait a turn and any Fighting or Water types placed onto the bench by Archie or Maxie

Last edited:
normally the basic pokèmon or from previous stages have less HP than the evolved ones, right?
Then, if they had damages on it, this will kill some pokemon, thanks to the devolution!

Back