Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

Very powerful card. Anyway moving onwards, maybe tomorrow we will see Meganium return for the first time since HGSS. There are three spots left for grass in this set still.

Tsk, I'm not scared at all. Don't play a stadium card, and this card can't be played if the user doesn't run too many stadium cards. Also you can choose which cards to discard. If you play it smart this card is not so terrifying. And if your draw a Trainers' Mail, draw Supporter, Shaymin EX or something along these lines then the opponent wasted their supporter.
You can play your own stadium it doesn't have to be your opponent's. This Could be M Rayquaza Killer right here Rending Sky Field Usless and Removing Potential Shaymen from hand but yea like a redcard/Scary lady Combo Would ruin Rayquaza

Doubt it: Pokemon has so much draw power there's ways to deal with her being played. There's also that Yugioh has a cost issue with cards like this that get banned over something like Magic which has cards like Mind Rot Reprinted which has a similar effect for mana or this being a once per turn supporter.

This also helps you out of a stadium like Parallel Cities or Silent Lab from locking you down.

When Lysandre's trump card was out did you think it would get banned? I doubt it. But, LTC proved way over powered by the new cards that got printed. Scary Lady can be proved really "scary" if she's combined with red card ON TURN 1. I can force my opponent into 1 card hand, when he hasn't even began playing. How? Shaymin, Trainers Mail, VS Seeker and Battle Compressor make this card so easy to play. Oh! And I can use hammers and Trick Sovel too, because obliterating your first turn isn't enough.

Wow... "scary lady" indeed!

The question is the usual; will it be as bad as some are predicting? Will it ultimately prove to be a waste? The answer of course is... I don't know. =P

I know exactly how this card will play. Turn two seismitoad +red card + paint roller = scary lady = game. The end. This card puts to much pressure on players to have a perfect turn one. Seismitoad doesn't even need a muscle band attach. This totally mutes stadium play. Common Pokemon, you give and than over take way to much.

Last edited:
When Lysandre's trump card was out did you think it would get banned? I doubt it. But, LTC proved way over powered by the new cards that got printed. Scary Lady can be proved really "scary" if she's combined with red card ON TURN 1. I can force my opponent into 1 card hand, when he hasn't even began playing. How? Shaymin, Trainers Mail, VS Seeker and Battle Compressor make this card so easy to play. Oh! And I can use hammers and Trick Sovel too, because obliterating your first turn isn't enough.

The opponent chooses the cards discarded so unless they only have three cards left they can hold onto a card to refresh their hand or discard beneficial cards such as Pokemon for March/Vespiquen or supporters for VS Seeker. Also if it's turn one what do the hammers matter as there isn't any targets. I expect this card to be more terrifying late game when your hand is smaller with key cards then WHAM!

The Trump Card got banned because of OLDER cards and VS seeker being reprinted in the same set letting players go wild through their decks playing all their hammers then putting them back in to keep crippling the opponent. It was dumb before Set Up was brought back.

If this card does end up being as toxic as Trump Card or Exdeath for Expanded they'll ban it which I'll be OK with: I'd rather see them trying new ideas and cards with different goals then always rehashing the same cards.

-and if this card does scare you play Bodyguard Marowak when that also comes: we might be getting other answers for Hand Disruption which they know they need more of now.

I don't think this card will be as good as people think it will be unless its in a control deck. Most decks have no use for it since the card slot is almost better for another, better card and if you do run it, you can almost always play a better supporter. If your goal is to just remove a Stadium, you have other stadium cards and Paint Roller. If your deck isn't draw supporter heave and your supporter line is more toolbox orientated than I could see a use there.

The main issue most decks will have with this card this will almost never disrupt the opponent because whats three card? They just get them back on a shaymin or juniper. Also, if this card does gain some traction, we all have Octillery, which lets the opponent dig deeper for that card to beat you. Sure any card can be devastating if played at that right time but I really don't see anything but control/mill benefiting from it and in my opinion, that's a good thing. It give other decks a chance to shine.

Remember my words. This card will get banned. It's way over powered.

Any card that gives "hand" advantage gets banned, in every TCG (like Yu-Gi-Oh!).
Dude, there has to be a Stadium in play for it to work.

On other notes, the name is just pretty hilarious.

I like Scary Lady a lot as a one-of. Honestly I don't really see it being broken. The majority of players seem to simply hate wasting their Supporter on a card that doesn't draw if they can help it, so I don't see it being any more than a one-of outside of some mill or lock decks. It's also borderline pointless to include multiple copies of Scary Lady in decks that utilize Stadiums (Psychic decks, P.Groudon, etc.). If anything it'll make players a tad more cautious with their Stadium decisions, which I think is welcome in the current "autopilot" climate.

I just noticed up until the BREAK block, every BW/XY set (with the exception of the base sets, legendary treasures and noble victories/red collection) had a Japanese name that mirrored the attack/ability name of a Pokemon in the set. I don't think there is one in Red Flash/Blue Impact and there currently isn't one in Rage of the Broken Sky. Does anyone have an idea as to why they stopped doing this?

this is one of my favorite decks and i can easily see tecking in 2 of these

3 Porygon AOR 64
3 Porygon2 AOR 65
3 Porygon-Z AOR 67
2 Crawdaunt PRC 92
2 Corphish PRC 42
3 Feebas PRC 43
3 Milotic PRC 44

Trainer Cards - 31

4 Trick Shovel FLF 98
4 Crushing Hammer EPO 92
1 Rare Candy PRC 135
1 AZ PHF 117
2 Team Flare Grunt XY 129
2 Ultra Ball FLF 99
2 Skyla BCR 149
1 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
1 Teammates PRC 160
3 Level Ball AOR 76
2 Switch ROS 91
2 VS Seeker ROS 110
2 Lysandre FLF 104
1 Enhanced Hammer PHF 94
2 Shauna XY 127
1 Trainers' Mail AOR 100

3 Darkness Energy HS 121
4 Double Colorless Energy PHF 111
3 Water Energy HS 117

probably minus 1 crushing hammaer and 1 shauna for 2 of these scary ladies

The opponent chooses the cards discarded so unless they only have three cards left they can hold onto a card to refresh their hand or discard beneficial cards such as Pokemon for March/Vespiquen or supporters for VS Seeker. Also if it's turn one what do the hammers matter as there isn't any targets. I expect this card to be more terrifying late game when your hand is smaller with key cards then WHAM!

The Trump Card got banned because of OLDER cards and VS seeker being reprinted in the same set letting players go wild through their decks playing all their hammers then putting them back in to keep crippling the opponent. It was dumb before Set Up was brought back.

If this card does end up being as toxic as Trump Card or Exdeath for Expanded they'll ban it which I'll be OK with: I'd rather see them trying new ideas and cards with different goals then always rehashing the same cards.

-and if this card does scare you play Bodyguard Marowak when that also comes: we might be getting other answers for Hand Disruption which they know they need more of now.

The opponent can chose any card he wants. If he didn't draw a juniper or a supporter he's dead. And he's drawing 4 out of at least 59 card deck. The chances for a supporter are really slim. And even if he does draw it, he's already a mountain to climb to catch up, because this will be done over and over again. And you shouldn't forget the trick shovel combo.

Do you remember the Malamar/Sableye deck? Hammers ruin every possible scenario for a comeback. (No cards, No energies = Dead....:p)

Trump card got banned because of Shaymin. If else it would have got banned a lot earlier. Shaymin and trainer's mail allowed the usage of 4x crushing hammer's on turn 1, and made Seismitoad Tier 0.

Body Marowak protects you from Pokemon's attack effects, not Trainers. :p

Dude, there has to be a Stadium in play for it to work.

On other notes, the name is just pretty hilarious.

So? :p

Can't I use 4x Shaymin ex, Unown on my first turn to draw "Red Card," "Stadium," "Trainer's Mail," Scary Lady," "Vs Seeker/Compressor Combo" or even Jirachi? I think that's pretty much what will happen 90% of the time.

CVh9-6RUAAAg0Sh.jpg:large

[C] Miracle Shine
Devolve the highest evolution stage card from each of your opponent's Pokemon to their hand.

[P][C][C] Psychic Shock 70
This attack isn't affected by any effects on the Defending Pokemon.

Last edited:
Back