Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

Item lock? We already have Trevenant from XY... do you want another Trevenant with item lock? What's the point?
Thats why I said I'm surprised it doesn't have item lock, since its the default go to thing.
Except only one of the four Trevenant cards (including Trevenant EX) locks items. The only common trend is they all focus on three-energy attacks, which isn't much of a trend. Trevenant as a species isn't really old enough to have its cards follow a common trait.

Was this a prank then?

Garbodor – Psychic – HP100
Stage 1 – Evolves from Trubbish

Ability: Garbotoxin
If this Pokemon has a Pokemon Tool card attached to it, each Pokemon in play, in each player’s hand, and in each player’s discard pile has no Abilities (except Garbotoxin).

[P][C][C][C] Panic Bomb: 60 damage. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Poisoned and Confused. Also, panic.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

crystal_pidgeot wasn't saying he wanted an Item or Trainer locking Trevenant; he was stating that as they went ahead and gave the newest Garbodor "Garbotoxin" (in addition to other cards using a lot of recycling in content) that it is almost a surprise they didn't phone it in for Trevenant.

I know right. Well, camerupt can be deadly with trick shovels. Also a good partner with reserved ticket. Plus, he is a camerupt. :p

Ooh that actually sounds pretty nice. Youre milling them just as hard as a houndoom EX (not exactly impressive... but discarding cards is never bad and it can be a potential win condition) WHILST actually taking prizes at the same time. And you can knock out some megas happily if you get 2 energy discards. Id like to see this card with the fighting gallade that rearranges your top 5 cards too.

Ok, but the first Noivern card they revealed does the same thing for one DD energy and is a stage 1.

So, no.

Ok, but the first Noivern card they revealed does the same thing for one DD energy and is a stage 1.

So, no.

Noivern's attack is 1 Dark, Psychic, and colorless, meaning it would be a DDE and basic energy, Trevenant can use this attack for just 1 Psychic when Dimensional Valley is in play. Trevenant also doesnt have to worry about things like Enhanced Hammer, Xerosic, or the new Jirachi which throws any deck that relies on special energy into the trash. Trevenant also puts damage counters, not damage, so unlike most other Pokemon that do spread damage (like the Noivern you mentioned) it cannot be blocked by things like Mr. Mime's Bench Barrier ability. Trevenant ALSO has item lock when you're using this XY1 version, which is crazy good. So I'd put a little more thought into the card before you say "so, no". Especially when you're comparing it to a card that has seen virtually no play.

And also this is probably the best looking Break card we've seen so far.

Last edited:
I'm going to combine this BREAK with my current Gengar/Trevenant deck. The attack is great against NM and Trev gets a boost in HP.

Waaaaaaait a minute...
Keenan_Sudowoodo_golden.png

A more bulky Trevenant/Accelgor, Gengar/Trevenant…wow. Not to mention the art, which unlike most BREAKs, actually looks 3D if you look at it with the right eye and seems to actually compliment the Trevenant in the picture.

On top of being one of best-looking BREAKs we've seen so far (well, one of the very few that actually looks good), this one may have potential in competitive play, which is nice to see after the batch of disappointments we got in BREAKthrough.

The main thing that could make this card good is the fact that it can BREAK Evolve from the Trevenant with Forest's Curse from XY, giving that Item-locking beast an additional 50 HP and making it even bulkier than Gothitelle from before its time. I've always felt that Trevenant was a little too frail to do its job effectively, so in my opinion, this BREAK is just what it needed.

But to make things better, it even gets an attack that spreads damage on the opponent's entire board, can't be stopped by the likes of Mr. Mime, and only costs one Psychic Energy with a Dimension Valley in play! Combine that with the Item lock, and we've got something really scary here.

I can easily see Trevenant decks (TrevGar, TrevGor, and such) running about two of these BREAKs. Easily.

Not all decks include Rough Seas... :rolleyes:

Fear of Gengar? ;)

While Rough Seas might only be played in one meta deck, which would be M Manectric Variants, it is arguable that M Manectric is tier 2, maybe even tier 1 considering it's most recent success and past successes. That alone would give a deck like Gengar/Trevenant Break a huge problem when trying to be played competitively. I'm not saying it CAN'T work, I myself saw Trevenant Break and thought "holy cow, that's literally a near perfect partner for Gengar BKT". Main problem that essentially playing two Stage 2 Pokemon is super risky in the current format, but Rough Seas definitely also causes a problem because even if you can get rid of the stadium, they only need to play it for one turn to undo all purpose of your attack. So just keep that in mind when building your deck!

I think this card is incredibly playable on the item lock Trevenant. Trevenant Shaymin comeback?

Back