Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

Interesting... Free retreat, status immune, instant knockout with Ariados's ability. I actually had some success with Doublade and Ariados as a Rogue deck at one time, but the issue for this one will be the development of the strategy. I'm finding Break Pokemon pretty difficult do get out quickly...

Fortunately, it could be easier to do for this break card, as we have Winona to quickly get the Ratties out. Yveltal for Acceleration and Night March handling, Assault Vests and Head Ringers for protection, and you have an interesting strategy to try out!

I'm usually against reprints (or... similar-prints?), but I absolutely loved Super Fang back in the BCR days. I had a not-very-competitive deck with Raticate and it was one of my favorites to play with in that era. So I'm actually happy to see a "reprint" for once.

110 HP on a Stage 2 is rough, but I'm going to end up making another not-very-competitive deck with it for nostalgia's sake. Probably Ariados + Raticate, unless Laser is reprinted too (god forbid).

I'm pretty disappointed to be honest... New mechanics should be accompanied by new cards...

p.s. Only Wonder Energy can protect from this attack. And other cards: "Prevent all effects attacks excluding damage done to..."

Does this Marowak also?

Wow this art is actually really nice. It looks a lot shinier than the other BREAKs.

Can they reveal Scizor & M Scizor EX now though?

Lol, I actually got it right with Raticate BREAK... That golden glow on the regular one's artwork looked suspicious (plus there was only one space between it and Stantler)...

Again, like Marowak, I do like they're giving BREAK cards to pokémon that are usually forgotten or sub-par... and the card has potential...

Raticate/Bats, working against grass types, getting rid of that Ariados/Raticate Idea.

I've been trying to make Boundaries Cross Raticate work. Adding the Crobat/Golbat Line doesn't seem like a good strategy, It's important to OHKO the opponent's Pokémon. You need to keep pressure, or else your Raticate won't last very long in the active spot. Though a Bat Line could be nice as a back up against Grass Pokémon. Instead I would play two Natu from Roaring skies to keep the price trade even. And to save room for other cards in my deck.

To be honest I don't think this Raticate Break will be better than Its predecessor. You could combine Boundaries Crossed Raticate with Mew EX and Dimension Valley to reduce Energy costs and have slightly more HP. It's new ability doesn't seem crucial to me either. Being poisoned doesn't matter all that much when you keep knocking out your opponent's active Pokémon.

Now, I do hope there will be support for Stage or Break Pokémon. Having to set-up a new stage 2 Pokémon every time your low HP Raticate Break is knocked-out is jut not good enough.

In expanded there could also be hypnotoxic laser, but it could be reprinted for how many annoying cards that they are reprinting..

In expanded there could also be hypnotoxic laser, but it could be reprinted for how many annoying cards that they are reprinting..

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with something like ''Confusevenom Laser''

Your opponent's active pokémon is now poisoned. Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent's active pokemon is also confused. (And PCL will be like: look! NOT a reprint)

Also imagine Super Fang used on a Wailord EX with a Fighting Spirit Tool Attached. Better bring those dices with you!

More reprints. Sigh.

Well, I can see Wally's Raticate Break being a decent deck though...Giant Plant Forest, a 3-3 Ariados line and this means you can get a KO on anything turn 2, long as you hit your Wally for Raticate turn 1.

Back