Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

There is also the Leafeon in unlimited that does 50x the amount of special conditions on the defending pokemon. if you do Ariados (Leafeon is grass type) and good night baby (Wally and Broken Vine Space perhaps(Using the FFI Eevee and grass energy attachment) you could be doing 100 (120 with a muscle band or 130 on an ex with silver bangle) Turn one, provided you go second. When this comes out I'm going to make a deck around that for sure. Another way to do that is Leafeon/Sceptile (Nurture and Heal) and Victreebel from FFI, but this would almost certainly be more consistant
EDIT: You'd either need to use Good Night Baby before evolving w/Energy Evo or some other way of no sleep (Thinking Full Heal or as mentioned several times before, Sparkling Robe, although that would limit damage by quite a bit.) This also wouldn't work if your opponent was grass type unless you're using the clunkier version. People have also said the Ninetales from Dragons Exalted is 50x number of special conditions, this is false however as it is 20+ 50 for each special condition, don't know if this has been mentioned before but i just had to mention it. Ninetales is not the ideal partner for Hypno/Ariados because of it's non-immunity to the poison or sleep, so you'd absolutely need sparkling robe for it to function well, unless you want to run Zoroark/keldeo-ex with Float Stone or double switch.

Last edited:
So how would it work if I Archies / Maxie'd a card stright to the bench without evolving it? Would it go back to my hand? If that was my last pokemon, would that be auto-lose?
I would recommend you go to the Ask a Professor Forum and ask this question about Archie and Claydol AOR (one of the most similar Espeon-EX). You'll be able to get a certified answer that way. :3

Listen to bbninjas: while @AgentMFilms meant well, the ruling he gave was wrong. Check out the rule book on p.11; Pokémon don't need to be in play for a full turn before Evolving, just have been in play at the beginning of your turn (except of course for the first turn of the game). Espeon-EX devolves an opponent's Pokémon on the owner's turn, then a between turns phase happens and then the other player's turn begins, so it is legal for that other player to re-Evolve his or her Pokémon.

If you do feel trusting, I'll tell you the answer to your question because I already posted it on this thread. ;) If a Pokémon like Blastoise is put directly into play like with Archie's Ace in the Hole, it is still a Stage 2 because that is printed on the card, but it does not count as an Evolved Pokémon because it didn't Evolve from anything. So Espeon-EX can't bounce it and you can't lose that way.

Can I bring up the existence of the upcoming Aurorus EX? Pretty sure it'd combo nicely with that:

Ability: Freezing Protection
Each of your Pokémon that has any Water Energy attached to it can't be Asleep. (Remove Asleep from those Pokémon.)

How has no one mentioned Malamar (XY58)?

Contrary: "If this Pokemon is your active Pokemon, whenever your opponent flips a coin during his or her turn, treat it as tails."

Permanent sleep as long as Malamar is active. If they don't play Zoroark, Keldeo, or a ton of Switch / Escape Rope; I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. Malamar is even immune to Garbotoxin thanks to the Theta Stop ancient trait.

Sleep isn't flipped during your turn, so Contrary doesn't affect it. The only Special Condition that Contrary affects is Confusion.

Espeon is really strong in my opinion. Pair it with Archeops and then they are stuck with whatever krapshoot they started with which you should could knock out with bats.

You can't evolve the bats with archeops, but I like the idea

Tomokazu did an amazing job. The coloring and posturing of Hypno is great by it's self, coupling that with the highly detailed and decipherable story background makes the card one of the best. The ability is pretty decent. I would bet it would be suited for a basic centered deck, as multiple stage ones can get clunky.

Lovely art, but kind of useless sadly. I thought about a tech that puts the opponent to sleep in a Haxorus deck to help it set up dragon dance with a chance of taking no damage, but Malamar Ex just does everything better, especially the attack.

I have always been a bit confused about effects like this. Can they just evolve it the very next turn after you attack? or do they have to wait one turn before they can evolve?

I have always been a bit confused about effects like this. Can they just evolve it the very next turn after you attack? or do they have to wait one turn before they can evolve?
If Espeon-EX's attack is used to devolve Pokemon, they can evolve it on the following turn anyways. Espeon's attack is mainly good for spread decks, or devolving Megas and discarding their Spirit Link to potentially lock your opponent.

This card seems like Dowsing Machine but better.

Dowsing Machine lets you grab one Trainer card from your discard pile if you discard two cards from your hand. Only one copy of Dowsing Machine can be played in a deck.

Time Puzzle gives you the option to grab two of any card from your discard without a drawback. However, the effect can only be used once.

Time Puzzle has more versatility, as there are more types of cards it can grab and because the other effect is always an option. It also has the quantity advantage. Because you can run four copies, prizing this card won't be too big of an issue.

Time Puzzle will most likely see play (or at least hype), since Dowsing Machine was played in a lot of decks (and still is in Expanded). However, Time Puzzle's ability to retrieve cards from the discard pile might be straying kind of close to Lysandre's Trump Card, depending on how you look at it, but it probably will not be as broken as Trump Card was due to its inability to be reused.

Back