Japan's XY11: 'Explosive Fighter / Cruel Traitor', CP5: 'Mythical / Legendary Dream Holo Collection'

Mega Manectric could help the Pyroar BREAK out by giving it 2 fire. Also, Vivillion can give Pyroar BREAK one fire, meaning one Blacksmith and one manual fire could be dangerous to any non-Mega EX that does not have more than the magic 180 HP by default and no attached Fighting Fury Belt to make it 210-220... Even then, if Volcarona gave the pyroar 2 fire energies already by solar birth, then with a Muscle Band plus Scheme(to tack on a total of 40 additional damage to the base 180 for a total of 220 damage) plus Faded Town, no competitively viable EX(sorry, Wailord, that means you are excluded), not even Megas, can withstand it...

^ Given the ideas above, I think this card could be toxic to the metagame, as it would be too easy to KO EXes w/o Focus Sash(meaning the only survivors of such attacks consist of only fighting-types, and yet, since focus sash is on its way out, given it wasn't reprinted in CP4 OR XY11, if this Pyroar card isn't looked at for possible banning, at least reprint focus sash in the first S/M set, just to buy the target player time to carry out the only way to keep his/her EXes from getting ko'd from this monster: an attack that 1HKOes the pyroar for one prize card instead of taking a 180 base damage attack that the other EXes cannot bear, especially after a flare command prior to the 1HKO, especially since KO'ing an EX results in giving the one delivering the EX KO two prize cards...

^ Can you think of counters to this pyroar monster, or do you think this card is ban-worthy?

Last edited:
Lovely artwork but competitively this is one of the worst cards i've seen. I would love to see a Mantine break, but it would be wasted on this.
The healing attack should be an ability, because discarding your hand is mostly detrimental to begin with and is essentially wasting a turn to put yourself at a bigger disadvantage.
and the second attack has way too higher energy cost for something that relies on health. Should atleast be water and DCE.

Lovely artwork but competitively this is one of the worst cards i've seen. I would love to see a Mantine break, but it would be wasted on this.
The healing attack should be an ability, because discarding your hand is mostly detrimental to begin with and is essentially wasting a turn to put yourself at a bigger disadvantage.
and the second attack has way too higher energy cost for something that relies on health. Should atleast be water and DCE.
If it were an Ability, this card would be ridiculous for Archie's and Maxie's. Just play this guy down on your bench and discard as many cards as you want!

I am building a deck around this no matter how much it sucks. First attack can set up night March, but wish it was an ability.

Okay seriously, they've given us a colorless Hawlucha in this set. Roaring Skies gave us a colorless Skarmory. When will Mantine get one already?

YES!!! TPCI LISTENED!!! STOP MAKING ALL WATER POKEMON WEAK TO GRASS!! THANK YOU TPCI FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!!

YES!!! TPCI LISTENED!!! STOP MAKING ALL WATER POKEMON WEAK TO GRASS!! THANK YOU TPCI FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!!

theres already been some electric weak water pokemon havent there? like empoleon + other birbs? not to mention all the ice types

Mantine, Masquerain and Delibird are my favorite Pokemon, so I'm really happy whenever one of them gets featured in a TCG set.

Really cool artwork on this card too, reminds me of Aquapolis / The Latios & Latias Movie

Last edited:
Woohoo long time no see, one of my favourite pokemon. Last appearance was in HGSS I think?

But one of the attacks should've been something decent like 'do the wave' 20+ 20 more for each benched pokemon or something. Maybe Mantine break tomorrow? One better and go Mantine EX. I like the surprise random EX's in sets (sometimes).

Obviously there are several Water Type Pokémon who are Metal Weak, but that is because they represent a video game Ice Type, or dual Type that is part Ice. So you probably meant the TCG Water Types based on video game Water Types and... Mantine are Water/Flying. So it is probably Lightning Weak because of the Flying half. I think the only current exception right now is Magikarp; a plain Water-Type that ends up being Lightning Weak. This of course is speaking of the XY-era; there were several Lightning Weak Water Types in the BW-era and before.

Back